Question Konbini chatter

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
03412235-1E46-4522-82C8-337981CDA91A.jpeg

Demon Sake & Green Tea Ice Cream, yumm

By the way, the one skifree-san chose is 爽(Sou). Many people (including me) consider Sou as ice cream for summer. I mean, there are small ice particles in it and it's a typical ice cream to make you feel cooler in hot summer. If picking three vanilla ice creams to eat in winter that we can buy at Konbini, I'll choose these ones.

Glico's 牧場しぼり(Boku-jo Shibori). It's about 130 - 140 Yen at Konbini if I remember correctly (cheaper at supermerket)

SS_180922000003.jpg

Morinaga's バニラモナカジャンボ = Vanilla Monaka Jumbo. It's about 140 Yen at Konbini (cheaper at supermarket)
20190126015138.jpg

images

Seven Eleven's 金のバニラアイス = Golden Vanilla ice cream. It's Seven Eleven's original ice cream and it's Premium Gold series, so it's expensive, about 260 - 270 Yen(It's Seven Eleven's original product, so you can buy only at Seven Eleven).
33d445aed1be39ffca05f3d90f5b69b5.JPG

Reactions: skifree

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems this new red Kirin beer is popular in Japan recently. I also like it, if not one of my most favorite ones, though. And, the alc/vol of the beer is higher than most other major Japanese beers. It's 6% (usually Japanese major beers are 5% or 5.5%)
5a5f8078.jpg

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
What's the go with cans of Strong? Never noticed them until this year...

Ha! Been around for years. Good stuff. 9% and around Y200 for a 500ml can. Hard to go wrong.
I also like the 1L cardboard cartons of Umeshu for around Y800, though usually have to get them from a supermarket.

Reactions: Ramenman and Donza

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Ha! Been around for years. Good stuff. 9% and around Y200 for a 500ml can. Hard to go wrong.
I also like the 1L cardboard cartons of Umeshu for around Y800, though usually have to get them from a supermarket.
I think the 8% is the sweet spot. Especially for flavours.

9% was a bit too much alcohol taste...and 12% was rocket fuel.

I think Chu Hi "strong " -196 was first seen 10 seasons ago ? around the Tsunami.

Reactions: Ramenman
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I'm guessing Konbinis will now be even more important than ever, assuming Japan also goes down the path of closing restaurants, pubs and cafes. An essential service.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Help needed. I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms of my two fave conbini staples, pictured below (in this case I'm referring to the snacks, not the beer. Although, arguably beer is a favourite snack food of mine as well!!)

Any clues as to where I might be able to pick some up in Sydney. Especially the Calbee stick snack thingies.

IMG_5612.JPG
IMG_9603.JPG

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford
Help needed. I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms of my two fave conbini staples, pictured below (in this case I'm referring to the snacks, not the beer. Although, arguably beer is a favourite snack food of mine as well!!)

Any clues as to where I might be able to pick some up in Sydney. Especially the Calbee stick snack thingies.

IMG_5612.JPG
IMG_9603.JPG
I'd try any of the Daiso stores in the city, theres also Tokyo Mart in Northbridge which has a good variety. Not guaranteeing but I say they would have them.

Reactions: skifree

shabu_shabu

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 21, 2013

IMG_5612.JPG
IMG_9603.JPG
Have you tried Tokyo Mart in Northbridge Plaza? I know they have some Calbee snacks (eg, chips) but not sure about the stick thingys. Whatever you do don’t go into the alcohol section. The prices will make you faint.

Reactions: skinik and skifree

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford
Only just noticed... that Japanese konbini rock I've been under...
Just got back this week from Japan with a few bottles of Shochu under my arm. Goes well with Sugar free Solo. Ratio 1/5 Shochu 4/5 Solo.
Strong Zero was my most drunk drink on this trip. My local Supa had it at 154yen with tax ($2.20aud) each :cheers:

IMG_5054.jpg

Reactions: Froff Life

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Have you tried Tokyo Mart in Northbridge Plaza? I know they have some Calbee snacks (eg, chips) but not sure about the stick thingys. Whatever you do don’t go into the alcohol section. The prices will make you faint.
I'd try any of the Daiso stores in the city, theres also Tokyo Mart in Northbridge which has a good variety. Not guaranteeing but I say they would have them.
That's a negatory for Northbridge Tokyo Mart

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Yep. I was there last weekend. My eyes watered at the cost of cans of Ebisu Premium

teletripper

One of Us
Aug 4, 2007
Jindabyne
Been loving this thread over the last few days, bringing back many great memories of our Japan konbini exploits and adventures. Nothing like buying something for dinner or a snack without much idea of what your going to actually get once you open it and bite into it. Although makes me bloody hungry and thirsty. Thanks Ramenman and others for all your insights, info and suggestions . Keep it coming.

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford
The Asian supermarket behind us is selling them at $8 a pop. Too rich for me.
Yeh thats a bit rich! The 10 pack they say will be $47 so thats reasonable enough for RTD in Australia. Never beat the $2ish in a combini though.....

Reactions: Sage O

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Kwon mart in Newie has an alright selection of chuhai and Japanese beers. They sell the tall cans for $9ish which for an yebisu premium is ok (but still expensive).

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
In the image, I can see it says the Alc/Vol is 6%, but it should be 9% here in Japan. I mean, if the Alc/Vol is higher than 8%, it's considered as "Strong Chuhai" here. If it's 6%, it's supposed not to be "Strong Zero". Alc/Vol ratio = 8% - 12% Strong Chuhais have been popular here in recent years. 350ml Strong Chuhai is less than 100 JPY (= 1.17 AUD) and it means it can be cheaper or almost as cheap as coke and some doctors are saying the Chuhai tax is too low and it might make more people suffer from alcoholism.

Reactions: skifree and Sage O

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Doesn't it defeat the purpose?
Wouldn't it be better to buy 2.25 litres of Shochu?
3 bottles of 720ml would cost about 4000 yen. (from the supermarket in Japan)

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
In the image, I can see it says the Alc/Vol is 6%, but it should be 9% here in Japan. I mean, if the Alc/Vol is higher than 8%, it's considered as "Strong Chuhai" here. If it's 6%, it's supposed not to be "Strong Zero". Alc/Vol ratio = 8% - 12% Strong Chuhais have been popular here in recent years. 350ml Strong Chuhai is less than 100 JPY (= 1.17 AUD) and it means it can be cheaper or almost as cheap as coke and some doctors are saying the Chuhai tax is too low and it might make more people suffer from alcoholism.

Ah, sorry, it (= the design) looks like Strong Zero but it seems they are NOT selling it as Strong Zero?.

S05302_2.jpg

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
There are a bunch of laws re these types of drinks in Australia.
They used to be cheap here. Teenagers would drink to excess as they were for lack of a better phrase. "Lolly water"

Reactions: Sage O

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Speaking of Strong Zero, I think lemon one is the most common. But actually, there are some other citrus flavors and recently, I found Yuzu one. Yuzu is a Japanese citrus and Yuzu can be addictive for some amount of people. The image below is Yuzu one. "Yuzu" is written but not all Strong Zero Yuzu flavors are written "Yuzu" in English. If you see 柚子, it's Yuzu.
l_13365-1.jpg

About Yuzu : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzu

In the image below, you see 柚子 and it is Yuzu.

d42435-445-142764-0.jpg

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
I also like shikwasa. A few years ago, some Japanese tv programs popular among older generations were featuring Shikwasa, saying "Shikwasa can help our brain keep young". Since then, I often see retired people buy Shikwasa Chuhai:p

About Shikwasa : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_depressa
Yes, I do it purely for my health! LOL
Hows things mate, I bet your keen to get back..
Although Adelaide's a nice town. Did boarding school there for a couple of years
Can't complain. Life is good here.
Wheels up on Dec 3 with a bit of luck.

Reactions: Ramenman and LMB
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass