Kosciuszko Snowies Iconic Walk

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
The track from the Helipad down to Blue Lake outflow is severely eroded and needs attention badly.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Will be interesting to see if they throw in some tent platforms around the trail to facilitate camping?

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Forget about the cost to build unless you can show there will a negative return. That is to say the investment will not cause people to come and spend money. The fact is, to a government, the cost is very small but to us and everyone else who does not have $27 it seems huge. Is the plan ecologically sound and will it also bring a benefit to people wanting to visit the area? It will no doubt be a sanitised walk so you shoes don't get muddy and therefore not something that would appeal to me but I would be considered a minority. My objection to the 'iconic' FHAC is the economic falsehood that spawned the ecological interruptions that would be necessary to create the guise of an iconic walk which is in reality only for the benefit of the RMB's in winter. (that was not intended to be a hijack, just a comparison) This plan appears to be utilising the resorts and other infrastructure for hard roof accommodation which means they may be able to stay relevant all year. Will it be another so called 'iconic' walk? Not sure about that. Maybe to some it would be. It appears much of it will be a shared path with bikes unless there is a specific MTB track.

If you want to increase visitor numbers who are going to spend money (a stated claim of this project) you need to provide a sanitised experience if you're also going to reduce the impact of those visitors as much as possible. In my Uni days I helped out on a survey (at the top of Kosci) asking people about their experience walking up there from the top of Thredbo. The vast majority felt that they'd had a great wilderness experience on the raised metal walkway.

There are no RMBs in NSW. Politically at least this is being sold as a benefit to summer tourism in the region. As CM said the yellow part of the trail is walker only, not a fire trail. On the red path between CP and Guthega is a mix of new trail and walker only trail From Guthega to the prokupine in new trail and from Perisher to Lake Crackenback is all new trail. Considering how KNP likes to reduce its liability by separating MTB and walkers on narrow trails I'd be surprised if any MTB is allowed on the Iconic Trail. As to the name, I agree, its retarded.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Xplora, This will never be a year round trail it will be under snow for the winter months. Apart from the fact the raised walkways would be deadly under snow you would have little to no chance of getting single nights accommodation in any of the resorts in Winter.
The point I was making was more to the resorts being able to offer services year round to walkers, riders etc and there would not be any need for further infrastructure to house and feed them. I probably should have been clearer. Sorry for the confusion.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Regarding the route:

My first thoughts were continue the "Main Range Circuit" from Sentinel Lookout up to Twynam, Anton, Anderson, Tate, Guthega. From Guthega up through PB via Blue Cow Terminal, Back Perisher Mt down to PB, Porcupine Rocks, CP Mt Stillwell, Thredbo.

But i'm a bit of a view hoe. Don't go much on valley walks unless they get you up high to a view.

Reactions: Telezacski

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Regarding the route:

My first thoughts were continue the "Main Range Circuit" from Sentinel Lookout up to Twynam, Anton, Anderson, Tate, Guthega. From Guthega up through PB via Blue Cow Terminal, Back Perisher Mt down to PB, Porcupine Rocks, CP Mt Stillwell, Thredbo.

But i'm a bit of a view hoe. Don't go much on valley walks unless they get you up high to a view.
There's a footpad along that route until you drop down from Gills Knob but it isn't marked or promoted.

Reactions: zapruda
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
A better map and a bit of detail

Overview Aerial - Kos Snowies Iconic Great Walk - 31 March 2017-1.JPEG

• All new tracks to be predominantly constructed of elevated platforms and stone. This will minimise the environmental impact and will reduce the long-term maintenance costs
  • Realignment of the existing Main Range Walk with an elevated platform of approximately 1.5km in length near Mt Lee. The track will be relocated slightly to the west to mitigate the existing impact to the critically endangered Windswept Feldmark plant community
  • Construction of a permanent single toilet facility which will be positioned approximately 30m behind Seamans Hut. This will reduce the impacts of people camping near the hut. The toilet will be opened year-round
    The walk will use the following existing tracks:
  • Kosciuszko Walk (steel walkway) from Eagles Nest
  • Summit Walk to the top of Mt Kosciuszko
  • Main Range Walk from Kosciuszko to Charlotte Pass
  • The Illawong Walk from Illawong Hut to Guthega
  • The Porcupine Walk from Porcupine Rocks to Perisher Valley

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
IMG_1192.PNG
Bears are singing "under the boardwalk". .......
Yes lots of new boardwalk .....
And the much anticipated dunny at Seamans to mop up pollution 24/7

Yes Iconic happening Nth of the border!

Last edited:

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
A better map and a bit of detail

Overview Aerial - Kos Snowies Iconic Great Walk - 31 March 2017-1.JPEG

• All new tracks to be predominantly constructed of elevated platforms and stone. This will minimise the environmental impact and will reduce the long-term maintenance costs
  • Realignment of the existing Main Range Walk with an elevated platform of approximately 1.5km in length near Mt Lee. The track will be relocated slightly to the west to mitigate the existing impact to the critically endangered Windswept Feldmark plant community
  • Construction of a permanent single toilet facility which will be positioned approximately 30m behind Seamans Hut. This will reduce the impacts of people camping near the hut. The toilet will be opened year-round
    The walk will use the following existing tracks:
  • Kosciuszko Walk (steel walkway) from Eagles Nest
  • Summit Walk to the top of Mt Kosciuszko
  • Main Range Walk from Kosciuszko to Charlotte Pass
  • The Illawong Walk from Illawong Hut to Guthega
  • The Porcupine Walk from Porcupine Rocks to Perisher Valley
Thanks mate, good detail :)

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
I'm on a roll this morning. Where are the camping facilities to cater for the walkers drawn to this ionic walk. Without them at each location then it's either lodge accommodation or travel back to Jindi. Eg an international tourist want to walk the 'ionic' Kosi track, starts in Thredbo walks day one to Charlottes which isn't licensed to operate in summer (apart from a couple of days) so needs transport back to Jindi. Day two gotta get from Jindi to Charlotte, walk 2 hrs to Guthega, no designated camping sites, lodge accom, travel down to IB or Jindi. Day three ......

Reactions: Snow Blowey

art

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004
All new tracks to be predominantly constructed of elevated platforms and stone.............elevated platform of approximately 1.5km in length near Mt Lee

Im not a fan of huge expanses of elevated platforms. yuck. I know why they do it but it detracts from the place and sanitises the experience.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I'm on a roll this morning. Where are the camping facilities to cater for the walkers drawn to this ionic walk. Without them at each location then it's either lodge accommodation or travel back to Jindi. Eg an international tourist want to walk the 'ionic' Kosi track, starts in Thredbo walks day one to Charlottes which isn't licensed to operate in summer (apart from a couple of days) so needs transport back to Jindi. Day two gotta get from Jindi to Charlotte, walk 2 hrs to Guthega, no designated camping sites, lodge accom, travel down to IB or Jindi. Day three ......
I think the idea was they stay in existing accom.

What’s the go with CP in summer? I didn’t realise they had accom licence restrictions.

art

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004

At the moment much of the route can be camped without any issue (out of the lake catchments and away from roads). But i can imagine if it becomes popular that controls on camping will start appearing.

The route is very much designed to drive lodge to lodge walking boosting summer spending. Camping isn't part of the plan as it doesn't drive the spending in the same way.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
It is intended as a hut to hut walk. This instantly makes it an unacceptable use of a national park.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

Details, details, details, it'll all get sorted out later, maybe a lot later.;)

Stephen Allen

Addicted
Jun 17, 2014
Hopefully we get to
Sell half of WCX though.
Yeah, and guess who is selling it on behalf of NSW Inc, would you believe it, Goldman Sachs. Our PM was head of GS Australia. The present head of ASIC, would you believe was a GS director. And if you want to know about how much of a criminal gangster GS is then I recommend highly this article in Rolling Stone ... , https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-great-american-bubble-machine-20100405 Makes the Australia banks look like pre-school kids.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Yeah, and guess who is selling it on behalf of NSW Inc, would you believe it, Goldman Sachs. Our PM was head of GS Australia. The present head of ASIC, would you believe was a GS director. And if you want to know about how much of a criminal gangster GS is then I recommend highly this article in Rolling Stone ... , https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-great-american-bubble-machine-20100405 Makes the Australia banks look like pre-school kids.
Sigh
They all worked for someone.
Given the breadth of work the big engineering / finance / consulting / etc firms are engaged in its hard for them not to have been involved in a major project or two.
I don’t think WCX is Federally funded is it?

Stephen Allen

Addicted
Jun 17, 2014
Xplora, This will never be a year round trail it will be under snow for the winter months. Apart from the fact the raised walkways would be deadly under snow you would have little to no chance of getting single nights accommodation in any of the resorts in Winter.
What? will we still get snow in winter?

Stephen Allen

Addicted
Jun 17, 2014
Sigh
They all worked for someone.
Given the breadth of work the big engineering / finance / consulting / etc firms are engaged in its hard for them not to have been involved in a major project or two.
I don’t think WCX is Federally funded is it?
It rests on substantial fed funding...

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Im not a fan of huge expanses of elevated platforms. yuck. I know why they do it but it detracts from the place and sanitises the experience.

I agree with you about the aesthetic of the raised walkways, walking along them did not feel like a bush walk. But we're in the minority. When I was studying I helped out with research into wilderness experiences in KNP. I did a few days on-top of Kosciuszko surveying the experience people had walking from Thredbo to Kosci. The vast majority felt they'd had a great wilderness experience.

Environmentally they have the least impact of any track option by a very large margin, which Is assume is why the Park plans to stump up the cash to put the raised walkway in around Lee, where the walk possess through a critically endangered ecology, Windswept Alpine Feldmark]

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass