1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Kosi-Kiandra, ski/boot/binding setup?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Nicko4334, May 15, 2020.

1. mholling

mholling One of Us

I read about the Alaska Mountain Wilderness Ski Classic, where the setup of choice is a skinny ski (e.g. Glittertind 68/55/62), tech binding (toepiece only) and stripped-down plastic boots. Boots for warmth, bindings don't freeze in the overflow ice, and fast skis for successive 50+ km days. Interesting, sort of like flat skimo.

Chaeron likes this.
  2. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

Failing this, an envelope with cash proceeds / "diverted" funds is the other option. Not under the mattress, the burglars or "home invaders" check that first.

I envy you Chaeron! but my feet cramp up if I was to do this, despite repeated trips to the shop with my AT boots. The inclusion of a heel pad was the diagnosis last time I went back, and helped me a bit, but I still cramp. I am heading back to 75mm switchbacks and a soft boot this winter for longer trips than about 10km.

3. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

Someone I know who I consider to be a bit of a pro in this space, but does not post here, [I think], really did not rate the 125s. Something about them not traversing on ice at all well. Scared me off, as they were on deep discount at the time.

4. ecowain

ecowain One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Always a good idea!

Except that in this current climate, cash doesn’t seem to be too welcome.

Chaeron likes this.
  5. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

I went into NAB for the first time in years the other day : the young girl in front was paying in 4,000 bucks - she got confused and had to upgrade it to 4,300 when she found she had more...

Chaeron likes this.
  6. Chaeron

Chaeron A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nothing worse than uncomfortable boots or worse when touring for longer distances! I’ve put the well-worn comfortable lace-up inners from my old Scarpa T2 boots into softish Scarpa Matrix tech boots for longer days.

Currently breaking in some Technica Cochise 130 DYN AT boots for the steeps - great boot fitting at Aussieskier has really helped get those tuned in.

#56 Chaeron, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    CarveMan and ecowain like this.