1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Lady P’s return to Honshu: Shiga Kogen and Nozawa Onsen

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Lady Penelope, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Some Alcohol is great as well..................

On the windscreen

LMB and Zimbooo like this.
  2. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah nah. Just crap summer wipers probably. You need good winter blades and it shouldnt be a problem .

Lady Penelope, TheFake and Zimbooo like this.
  3. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for the qualification

Zimbooo likes this.
  4. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

My brother showed us their method in the US years ago..................white vinegar over all the windows.

5. Kletterer

When you have to shave 5mm thick hoar from all the inside glass you have something to complain about.

Zimbooo likes this.
  6. Donzah

Sounds like inside of my caravan glass door

7. Kletterer

Alcohol induced post washing in the hand basin convection ?

8. Donzah

Minus five internal glass temp. ..

Kletterer likes this.
  9. Kletterer

Ah the 80s Winters in Jindy van. Small gas bottles and those that left gas stove going got horrid mildew.

10. Donzah

The Van is a 8x 3 metre box in this case. With the heat source at one end and the glass sliding door and condensation at the other (imagine a shipping container )
    The condensation freezes on the internal glass and rollers . Freezing the door shut.

11. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Alcohol ... I feel like some right now! I think the wipers just weren’t very good - regardless of the speed at which they were running, snow still built up on them and the windscreen. It took the driver 2 hours to get the 60 odd kilometres from Shiga Kogen to Nozawa (we thought we might have to get out and push at one point). Half an hour before we even got out of Shiga.

Anyway, here now and a warm welcome awaited us at our place of residence in Nozawa, Utopia. Nice rooms (more futons ....):

The view from my window ...

Bit different to last time we were in Nozawa (no snow in the village).

And then a rather nasty hike up through the village to the Nagasaka Gondola (might try Hikage via the U road tomorrow) carrying skis and boots. The children and other adults preferred to have a steamed bun and device/book afternoon so it was just me .... Just a little bit of snow around ;)

I found that my 90mm underfoot Atomics were too wide for the ski locker racks at Nagasaka. Soo back down the road they came with me. Grrr ... there’s going to be some whinging tomorrow from certain people as we hoik our gear back up the hill again. @Nozawaman - what are ski and/or boot storage options like at Hikage (or alternatives at Nagasaka?).

12. Lady Penelope

Oh, nearly forgot this one. The view of Nozawa village from Skyline ...

13. Lady Penelope

Hi @Canuckskier. Our taxi cost 39,800 yen and today it was worth every one of those yen. Eight of us plus a heap of ski bags and suitcases in very heavy snow. Google Chuo Taxis and you will find they have an English language enquiry page. I received very prompt replies from them in English and found them professional and courteous to deal with. An added bonus was the fact that we could pay the driver by card.

14. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Looks like you have timed your dates well.. Village looks great in its winter outfit.

Lady Penelope and Kletterer like this.
  15. Canuckskier

Canuckskier Hard Yards

Thanks for the report sounds like it will be just fine then. I am keen to also stock up on snacks etc before heading up to Shiga so sounds like a plan. cheers

16. Canuckskier

Canuckskier Hard Yards

Thanks I agree that price was worth it especially for the conditions! I am jealous the snow you have is amazing! I can’t wait I am coming to japan in just over two weeks. Love your reports and let me know if you find ski lockers that hold skis 116 underfoot! Cheers

Lady Penelope likes this.
  17. Lady Penelope

After the storm ... there is the visibility and plenty of fresh powder stashes ....

The views from Skyline were particularly pleasant. Note to anyone unfamiliar with this run: it is rated as a red/black but isn’t too difficult. The main tricky part is an uphill section (yes, uphill) where you really need to get some speed up coming down the preceding hill to avoid a nasty hike. Loose legs a must over the bumps!

I decided to challenge myself a little today and tackle some of Nozawa’s black runs, which seem to be steeper than those on offer at Shiga Kogen. I think the maximum gradient of the black runs there was around 30 degrees. Today I took on the Schneider course with warning signs posted at alarmingly frequent intervals leading up to this: “very steep slope. 39 degrees”. And it was ungroomed. Yikes. In for a penny .... I made it down unscathed, apart from one minor hiccup. You can see it in the background from the Hikage area, where the next photo was taken. Probably a walk in the park for many, but not for me :eek:

The children chose to ski together and surprisingly opted for the less adventurous runs. At the end of the day, the free toboggans and ski bikes (?) at Hikage were put to good use ....

18. Rush

Rush Pool Room

Yep, the black runs at Nozawa are definitely ‘proper black’ - they’d be double blacks in some resorts

19. fennekeg

fennekeg Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Are the toboggans for adults as well or would that be considered weird? (we'll be there end of February during the week so perhaps fewer kids around).
    Enjoying your TR very much!

20. Lady Penelope

Thanks! No reason why adults can’t use the toboggans ... just not much of a slope.

21. Lady Penelope

Yes! Feeling stoked after managing Schneider, I did a little research last night. 39 degrees seems to be about the equivalent of some of the harder blacks (eg Kamakazi, top of Olympic) at Perisher (my ‘local’) from what I can gather, and also one of the steeper grades in the Nagano area. This table provides an interesting comparison of local resorts and their steepest slopes:

https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/prefecture/nagano?sort=SteepestSlope&sortdir=ASC

Kletterer and zarik like this.
  22. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

This is why god invented small children. It gives you the opportunity to do good stuff because you are "looking after the children". Mine is 24. I haven't been to a water park for years. :(

Snowy Joey and fennekeg like this.
  23. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Try Shirakaba ski hire underneath Moss Burger at hikage

24. Lady Penelope

A cool day today up on the hill (the thermometer measured -6 at the base of the Uenotaira lift, despite the weather forecast for Nozawa village stating it would be a maximum of 1 degree ... elevation). Some light snow overnight provided a dusting of powder. The trees were beautiful with their rhime of snow/ice:

Mr 12 and I explored a few more of the black runs, including one of the ‘easier’ ones from the Nagasaka gondola mid-station, and the more adventurous “Challenge” course (another 39 degree pitch). This went well until I was one third of the way down and had a spectacular crash. One of those situations where a ski ends up 5 metres above one on a very steep slope. I was struggling to heave myself back up the hill when a helpful skier retrieved my ski, only to crash himself shortly afterwards :whistle:. Despite this, I find my confidence growing in bumps and on the steeper runs. My new Atomic Vantage 90s are so much better suited to these conditions than my old Roxy skis (which were significantly shorter and narrower).

And yes, I found some ski lockers that would accomodate wider skis (or, ahem, snowboards) in a small building to the right of the Nagasaka Gondola:

After a very reasonably priced wax (500 yen, boy do my skis go faster now!), we headed back to the room and then onto a pricey but delicious dinner at Haus St Anton. Nozawa Onsen pays homage to Hannes Schneider, who is credited with introducing the Arrlberg technique to the area in the 1930s. The Japan ski museum here is well worth a visit (near the Hikage area). Dessert tonight was the rather decadent Heissen Lieben: strawberries marinated in something alcoholic with very yummy ice cream. Definite Austrian influence (just no strudel so far!). @Kletterer - for you :)

#324 Lady Penelope, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  25. Lady Penelope

A beautiful day, and the start of a long weekend for the locals, so for once we saw more Japanese than Westerners on the slopes. Terrible lift queues: I think we had a three minute wait to load onto one of the gondolas ;). Mr 12 and I headed down black run 23 from the Nagasaka Gondola mid-station.

Another fairly steep pitch. Mr 12 bounded down gracefully with his hop turns, waiting at the bottom while I picked my way carefully down. At least the powder is more forgiving than the icy moguls we have back home. No stacks today ...

Nozawa Onsen is renowned for its picturesque alleys and onsens. A few snaps from today:

Sadly, a phone call from the housesitter minding our house (and cat) indicates that our much loved elderly feline may not last much longer (end stage kidney failure). She’s back at the vet’s on fluids, but the chances of her lasting until we get home (without undue suffering) are not good :(. Dilemma: to tell the children or not if she does need to be put down while we are still in Japan.

Tanuki, whether, Jellybeans and 9 others like this.
  26. Donzah

:(
    That's really sad.
    What a dilemma

27. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Good luck with your dilemma.
    Hope your old feline is coping OK.

28. Lady Penelope

Yes. It was on the cards but the vet seemed optimistic when we left. I think a run of hot days in Canberra didn’t help ...

29. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

I would tell them. We’ve had 2 family dogs pass whilst on holiday. Being away from home made it easier to deal with IMO. I know it sucks not being able to say a final goodbye, but being really close would be tough for me. This way you can reflect on their life whilst being away and then come home to start a new chapter. Just my 2c.

30. Donzah

Yeah.
    I hated saying goodbyes to pets.
    I wanted to remember them happy

whether and Lady Penelope like this.
  31. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Lady Penelope, re the third picture, have you been into one of those great public onsen yet? The one in the pic is great but super hot, too hot for me. Diagonally opposite is a great, but volcanic foot bath.

32. Lady Penelope

Yes, I have been in the onsens. Very hot! Sometimes the locals take pity on the poor westerners and turn on the cold tap. Certain outdoor onsens are reserved for the villagers; some of them are so hot that they cook food in them ....

Tanuki and Kletterer like this.
  33. Donzah

The further the onsen is away from the main source. The cooler it is. Lower village etc.

I like outdoor onsen more. ...but Nozawas are a good substitute for a shower.
    * I've never showered in Nozawa

34. Lady Penelope

Hmm, we’re directly across from the O-Yu onsen, just up from Haus St Anton on a side street. That was pretty darned hot! I’ve become quite used to the ritual of scrubbing oneself down on a stool (in the company of other ladies) prior to submerging in a hot bath/pool, and to her credit my teen seems to be ok with this (more so than she was three years ago, interestingly).

Snowy Joey likes this.
  35. Donzah

Miss P loves onsen.
    I couldn't get her out of them.
    In the end I would have to send random women in to tell her to get her bum into gear.

munja and fennekeg like this.
  36. Lady Penelope

:p

37. Canuckskier

Canuckskier Hard Yards

So sorry to hear about your kitty. I am leaving 4 behind when I go traveling now and it’s always a thought, what if ? They pass while I am away. I think I agree with the other poster who said to tell them now while you are there. I too hate the saying goodbye part it’s a necessary evil of pet ownership I guess but the love and companionship always outweighs it. Remember the good times and happy times as best as you can . My thoughts are with you and the fam...

I’m glad you all are having a great time and your reports are great and very helpful to me. Thank you for posting a pic about the lockers and the town I feel like I am almost there...

38. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Mine did as a youngster. I found her one day seated in a chair with an older lady blow drying her long blonde hair LOL Last trip, aged 14, wouldn’t go near them.

Lady Penelope and Donzah like this.
  39. Lady Penelope

Thanks @Canuckskier . We have lost 3 cats in 2 years (including our last remaining girl - Shorty - who I mentioned here, and made the call today to have euthanised based upon our trusted vet’s advice). All lived to a good age (Shorty was 21).

40. chicski

RIP Shorty :emoji_cat2:

41. Lady Penelope

I’ll post photos with just a few words today. Adjusting to the reality of life without cat upon return ...

Firstly, Japanese breakfast - the first course ....

A deceptively mild day in the village with very chilly conditions and sporadic snow up top. The busiest day we have come across, given the Monday holiday tomorrow. More Japanese than Westerners on the slopes, and lengthy queues for the gondolas (nowhere near Whistler proportions, however).

Mr 12 and I hit up the black runs again, including Schneider and the one above Utopia. This shows the view from the top of Schneider (with Mr 12 waiting patiently at the bottom):

Attached Files:

42. Donzah

Rip shorty.
    Great innings with some loving serfs

43. Lady Penelope

Thanks. Yes, there is no doubt about it. Humans are merely servants to the great felines ....

skifree and Donzah like this.
  44. chicski

Schneider...there may be a video somewhere of me sliding down that on my bum after falling, losing a ski and having it navigate down the entire run by itself. I don’t ski on one ski, especially not down moguls!

45. Lady Penelope

:D Well, you’ve seen me trying to get off the Mt P triple on one ski (didn’t work too well)! I witnessed a skier crash today on another black with both of his skis careering off down the hill. The slide of shame ;)

Kletterer and chicski like this.
  46. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Have you been over to Kandahar at all? If there's no pow it's a lot of fun for a fang first thing in the mornings and maybe won't be so busy. One side is usually closed for training.
    Scrap that. Just checked and it's not open for general public atm.

47. Lady Penelope

Yes, we’ve been looking enviously at that course - lovely groomed steeps. Definitely off limits to the public ATM.

48. Rush

Rush Pool Room

Did a day of guided backcountry today around Nozawa today, my first ever go at skinning.

Amazeballs - will post a trip report in the BC section later.

LMB, Kletterer, Froff Life and 5 others like this.
  49. Lady Penelope

Our second-last day of skiing at Nozawa (and in Japan) today. Mr 9, after suffering a crisis of confidence over the past week or so, suddenly decided to do some black runs with his brother and me this morning. We duly tackled Schneider and Utopia A (or B, whichever it is). That meant I had two of them waiting at the bottom for me.

The children headed off to have fun in the little terrain park on the Uenotaira run ....

I tackled Skyline again, which was becoming quite smooth, fast, and icy. This picture shows the uphill section prior to which you need to cast caution to the winds and straight line it down the hill (avoiding novices snowploughing from side to side).

Miss T and I continue to sample various sake labels, apres ski (of course). Our accommodation place make their own delicious sake, quite creamy and rich. Yum... They also stock a selection of Japanese whiskey (along with some recognisable Western brands of liquor), although I haven’t imbibed any of that alcoholic brew:

Some observations from the past few days. Helmets appear to be the exception than the rule at the resorts we have skiied at in Japan; even kids in the ski school classes often appear without them. I was also rather shocked (and this is purely my opinion; others on this forum may think this is perfectly reasonable) to see the number of skiers and boarders carrying small children while heading down the slopes, either strapped to their front or (in one case today) hoisted on a father’s hip. I kept thinking about what might happen if an edge became caught, or someone careered into that person, resulting in a frontal face plant. To me, the risk is not worth it. But that’s just me. The other interesting observation related to the appearance of various dogs on the slopes, accompanying their skiing or boarding humans. Today alone I spotted a corgi, a husky, and an Afghan hound. Interesting .....

LMB, Snowy Joey, Tanuki and 7 others like this.
  50. Rush

Rush Pool Room

I spotted a tri-colour corgi in the town today!

Are you staying for Fire Festival finale tomorrow night?