1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Lake Mountain 2013 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by teckel, May 14, 2013.

1. Went up to Lake Mountain today. Got up there at 0930 after hiring my Snowshoes and poles in Narbethong from Teckel (great to meet you by the way) Chains were required to be carried but not fitted. The snow line was quite low today, about 6 km out of Marysville so conditions up top are pretty good and the drive up very scenic with snow in all the trees. Walked the Echo flat trail to The Camp then back along the Snow Gum trail. Cover is continous and nicely packed down by the groomers. There are a few thin spots here and there but no real bare spots that I could see. Conditions were great! Fresh soft snow for the snow players and toboggans and nice cover for the skiers. Snow making was going this morning too. With more snow predicted it will be a great week to go up to LM for snow play or skiing so get up there - conditions are great! Please make sure you stop and have a coffee, meal or hire gear in Narbethong or Marysville. They are still very much recovering from the fires and the poor start to the snow season means it has been very quiet around there. Stop, spend some money and help them out!

2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Fixed [​IMG]
    Great to meet you Brushtail, and pleased you enjoyed your day [​IMG]

#102 teckel, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  3. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Very good conditions at LM today, with 2 cm. of fresh, dry snow on top of a frozen base of 10- 20 cm. Lots of sticks etc. after the wind but it was worth it. Woolybutt trail had a few washouts and a lot of debris. About 25-30 cm up higher, with nice cover from T. Junction to Panorama and back down upper Muster. One lucky school group got their dates just right. A late start but it's on. Let's hope for more.

4. of4x4

of4x4 First Runs

Just to add to this, the Winter Warrior Challenge is happening on Saturday 27 July. That'll be a few extra cars up there this weekend as well.

5. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

And.... don't forget my XC club, Mt Bullfight is hosting their bullfight charge XC race on the sunday 28th, which will hopefully run.

#105 TeleXC, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  6. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I was watching that rain band go through Maryville last night, Anything significant fall last night? any freshies today?

7. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Hoping that there wont be too much rain damage over the weekend. Got up at 5am to go to LM and my car broke down nearly half way there! very disappointing, had to drive it in to get serviced [​IMG] [​IMG] . Today looked like such a great day to go, anyway hope everyone is enjoying the brilliant conditions right now

#107 TeleXC, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  8. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

What's the deal with the bottom car park Teckel? How inconvenient is it.

#108 absentskier, Jul 25, 2013
  9. teckel

They run a free shuttle bus to the lower car parks. The inconvenience really is about not having access to your car during the day - which can be important if you have little ones - if they need a nap or some food or some time out or somewhere to dump unnecessary clothing or get a change of socks or change a baby's nappy etc. Also nowhere safe to leave skis/toboggans when going into the buildings (and toboggan theft is rife).

10. absentskier

Thanks Tecks.

11. teckel

That's a pia, TeleXC. (re your car) [​IMG]
    So you're coming up again on Sunday?

#111 teckel, Jul 25, 2013
  12. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Maybe, if It looks like there's no rain coming, but most likely Tuesday if the cover holds. Was going to drive home and borrow the parents car but not enough time to get back to LM [​IMG]

#112 TeleXC, Jul 25, 2013
  13. Goski

Goski Addicted

Hi folks,
    I enjoyed my first ski this year at LM with a friend today in good weather conditions, not so good underfoot - more on that later. The new flying fox looks like fun. There's little reference to it on the LM website, except that "*If snow conditions do not permit, the 240m flying fox will be open for those that have purchased this package." on the online tickets/packages page. Top car park about half full, several school groups on the trails, a few independent skiers, mostly classic. Classic was a good option as the real snow depth is actually <10cm on the trails with frequent rocks and bare patches on most trail sections that we skied so not great if you value your skating skis. We skied Woolybutt, Panorama, Royston, Echo flat, Upper Muster Flat. The report at 1.51.pm today still reads 20cm at Triangle, The Camp and Village. Not far from Triangle Junction is the marker at The Gap which is clearly below 10cm. I should have taken a photo - next time. The resort does itself ill by posting inaccurate snow data. Keep the real reports going everybody, it helps us to decide if a trip is worthwhile and what skis to take. By Sunday, your old rock skis should be fine. Hopefully another weather front occurs after next week or the base will be gone again.

14. teckel

A customer returning gear today said the trails were poor up to Echo Flat as they're being used intensively by schools, but that Muster Trail was still OK?
    For the last couple of years, the resort seems to post that all trails are the same depth as the toboggan run - it's as though they can't be bothered. Then they'll add man-made ice/snow onto the toboggan run depth. I think they totally ignore the real depths. Quite strange really.

15. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Hmmm, I hope it's not going to be too patchy for the Bullfight charge, as I have to skate. I guess the schools would wear it down a bit. I reckon the no.1 damage to trails is done by people without proper snow shows on too. The race seems to run from Helicopter flat and goes up so the upper trails hopefully will be more consistent. I don't think there will be anything left on the trails after the many skaters have been through during the race [​IMG]

Psst.. Lake mountain... will you please do some snow making on the lower trails, that will make me and a lot of skiers very happy, thank you

#115 TeleXC, Jul 25, 2013
  16. teckel

I've also had reports that quite a few snow players are wandering onto the ski trails, and they really can't police it. There's a new snowshoe trail which should keep the snow shoers off the ski trails.

17. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Yeah that happened a lot last year, I can't really say anything because they looked like they were having such a happy time anyway. Hmmm maybe they could create bigger signs or have a banner across the trail head like at MSG. If they find it absolutely necessary to go up they must keep well to the sides, that is ok sometimes.

18. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

I remember they used to have a staff member at the trail head throughout each day to answers questions, help people put on skis/shoes and politely police this sort of stuff. Mainly for those who are new to the snow and need someone who knows what they're doing. Do they still have this?

19. teckel

But that person policed the trail passes. Now there are no trail passes, it's harder to justify that person, and it's also more open than it used to be.

20. Goski

Goski Addicted

The school groups will be accelarating wear on some trails and we saw some students walking in trails around the intersections but a big issue is that the snow report is so inaccurate for the skiing surface. The next is that there it's little snow left on any of the trails :(
    The report should be saying that the cover is extensive but thin with exposed rock hazards and bare patches. The school groups were getting to most of the trails and we were amused to see one group rope up at the triangle and practise skiing tied together in a conga line in case they find a blizzard on their next trip up to Mt Stirling. 30 metres later, practice was deemed a success. Royston trail was relatively rock free down the top half yesterday but the bottom third will be unskiable today or tomorrow.

21. Greatfox

Greatfox Hard Yards

Thinking about heading up for a ski on Sunday. Will be taking a couple of beginners with me, is there likely to be ANY sort of skiiable snow?

22. Goski

Goski Addicted

There should be skiable snow Greatfox as there is not much rain forecast. It's a case of managing your beginners expectations so that they are not disappointed by having to take care around the hazards and that they may have to walk over some patches for their safety if not skilled enough to ski between them. I assume they won't be skating so if using classic gear, they should still have a good time. The forecast is no longer for rains showers on Sunday which will help make their day a good experience. What is unfortunate is that there are no trail cams this year to see what key locations are like. In the past, if echo flat was reasonable, it was a good indicator for the skiability of the resort. If the old trail head was well covered, the rest would be alt least as good.

23. absentskier

#123 absentskier, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  24. Goski

Goski Addicted

Thanks absentskier - the Belgravia LM website does indeed have trail cams accessible of their home page and I've just had a look. I had been used to seeing the trail cams on ski.com.au with the report and it would be nice to have them back there again but perhaps the resort would rather not make it easier to see the trails as they would conflict with the report. You'll see that from the trail cams there are bare spots and definitely not the 20cm on the trails that the official ski.com.au report continues to claim. The upper trails are as thin as the middle trails with <10cm. The bushes have more depth - perhaps that's where the gauges are this year - but that's not relevant to we trail skiers. This misinformation is what I find disappointing. On the plus side, it doesn't look like much was lost overnight and today which is great. Marginal conditions yes, but still enough to consider getting the kids up for a ski tomorrow.

25. teckel

It snowed on the trails today for about 15 mins.
    Goski, they've always only been on the LM website, and never on ski.com. Ski.com only does automatic cams.
    But you are correct about the snow depths. They haven't been accurate for 2 years now - they make it up based on how much is at Gerartys. I don't think it's designed to mislead - it's either laziness, or there's a good reason (can't imagine what) for it.

26. teckel

Yes there should be. Everyone of my customers today without exception said they'd had a good time on the trails. Especially the beginners.

#126 teckel, Jul 26, 2013
  27. Printking

Printking First Runs

Re: Lake Mountain Conditions & Pics 2013

Sound good.

28. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

On the mountain atm having just done the winter warrior challenge event. The snow is holding up surprisingly well, with patches only in the high wear areas.
    There's complete cover down to about 1000m. For once I'm not actually here to ski so I can't comment on the trail condition but I'd say it's pretty good given the condition around here. I had a look at the trail head and there's complete cover only about 15m up. Snow is a bit icy but still worth coming up for. It's sunny and 7 degs so I doubt it'll hold much longer.
    Probably the biggest crowd this season so far, there's two shuttle buses still bringing up people from the lower car parks and they're reasonably full [​IMG]

#128 carrotdude, Jul 27, 2013
  29. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Thanks for the report, I might go up tomorrow but still a bit concerned about the patches during the race tomorrow. What do you do in the winter warrior race, its it a trail running race?

#129 TeleXC, Jul 27, 2013
  30. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

Sort of, but they're snow covered MTB/walking tracks with a bunch of obstacles/challenges such as tire carrys, cable reel jumps, log walls etc.
    The snow is not ideal but it's skiable with only a few small patches. I think the bigger worry is that it's expected to rain tomorrow afternoon.

#130 carrotdude, Jul 27, 2013
  31. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

That sounds like an interesting race, I don't think my cyclist/xc skier build would cope well with that race [​IMG]
    Yes, the rain is putting me off for sunday, race suits and rain don't mix well + soggy snow makes for a slow ski

#131 TeleXC, Jul 27, 2013
  32. p2p

p2p Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Skated for a few hours today - Echo Flat out to Panorama then twice round Panorama loop and back along Echo Flat. You have to take the current trail ratings with several grains of salt but the skiing was enjoyable providing you're happy dodging the numerous obstacles on most sections of trail. Very thin cover but at least they've had a few freeze thaw cycles and have managed some basic grooming. Panorama loop was easily the best skiing and even the S's were holding up remarkably well - though the first hill as you head back toward triangle junction from the loop is pretty much cactus. Firm early, softened up markedly by midday. Very few skiers out on the trails once you got past Helicopter Flat. Worth a trip up if the weather holds but I wouldn't wait too long.

33. Goski

Goski Addicted

The warrior race is a trail running event that, from what I can tell from their website, starts at the carpark then up the hill to the summit then down the valley so nowhere near the ski trails. On complete cover.....I don't regard a trail as being completely covered when it has frequent visible rocks protruding above the surface, but that's probably just me. Good cover with rock hazards (many of which you won't notice until your bases find them) would be a better description. Finally though, the snow depth report has dropped from the imaginary 20cm to a less imaginary 10cm. It was <10 on Thursday on upper trails so 5cm would be more correct.. Hi Teckel, ski.com.au used to have the "Roving Cam" as the third cam for lake mountain and by viewing the cam history, you could see a few trail points across the day, much like is up on the LM website. I hope they post updated photos later today so we could see what was left before deciding whether or not to get the gear organised for an early morning start with the 9 yr-old kids tomorrow. We could still get in a good ski before the forecast afternoon rain. However, they may not update them to avoid putting off we punters so a late conditions report on this forum from anybody would be great. Has anyone had a run on the flying fox? How much per ride is it? It's quite high and we may give it a go.

34. Goski

Goski Addicted

Thanks p2p for the trail info. I was hoping for such a report as per my previous comment which was a bit dated - I left it sitting a few hours waiting for submission after getting distracted by doing stuff with my kids. Hopefully the kids are ok with getting around the obstacles without any nasty falls. It'll keep them focussed on what they are doing which is a good thing. A friend is coming with his family too. We are all keen to have a first family ski and we don't want to wait a fortnight for the next deposit of skiable snow, hopefully this occurs next weekend and holds during the following week. It will be patchy, rocky but it will be fun. Note that you can buy a discounted voucher online for gate entry - $41 instead of $51 on weekends, public holidays, school holidays and $34 instead of $41 midweek. You can buy entry vouchers at some ski hire places too - same price as the gate. You still have to line up at the entrance get to present the voucher but maybe the proprietor gets a commission which I think would be a good thing to help them be viable.

35. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Thanks p2p, the race goes around panorama and most of the higher altitude bits, so hopefully it will all go well, Anyone also competing tomorrow? You will see me in a black and fluro yellow one way branded suit. I'm a complete amateur, I'm just competing to get some experience. I did 9kms on my roller skis today and didn't do too good, so I'm going to do it for fun, not for a result. Everyone else enjoy tomorrow, lets hope the conditions won't be too bad.

- Enter the Mt Bullfight Charge here -

#135 TeleXC, Jul 27, 2013
  36. teckel

Yes Goski. I'm selling the cheaper entry passes. We get $3.50 of it, I think. So, if you want a cheaper entry and you haven't got it online, call in and get one from me.
    Now somebody dropped in today when I was really busy and told one of the staff to say hello to me, but I didn't recognise the name. So, sorry I missed you, whoever you were.

37. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

I was actually there and ran it. Trust me, it was complete. I did say in my post that it wasn't on the ski trails but on the tracks down the mountain a bit.
    Wasn't me
    [​IMG] I'll remember that for next time

Good luck TeleXC [​IMG]

#137 carrotdude, Jul 27, 2013
  38. Goski

Goski Addicted

The Warrrior event sounds like a fun event and it's the kind of event that complements an increasingly marginal ski industry. That, the zip line and the next attraction fun and sustainable is what will keep Lake Mountain going and provide some groomed xc skiing during the winter.

39. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

The self refrigerating snow makers help a lot too as they manage to keep a decent cover on the 2 main toboggan runs and beginner ski school area most of the time so there's usually some form of snow activity available.
    Those 3 fan guns seem to pump out heaps of the white stuff when conditions permit, but I don't know how often that is (care to enlighten us eurosnowtec?)
    Today must have been the biggest turnout so far this season, they filled the next car park down and half of the one after that (the names escape me atm). The region needs the cash injection so it's good to finally see some people here..

40. teckel

Was definitely the biggest day of the season so far [​IMG] Hoping today is even bigger.

#140 teckel, Jul 28, 2013
  41. absentskier

Had a fun day up at Lake Mountain today. The kids loved the tobogganing and the weather was great. Briefly met Teckel at her shop, where we hired toboggans. All in all, a great day.

42. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Got to meet Teckel today and saw absentskier there too which was good. Thankfully it didn't rain, a little bit of sunshine in-between. Entered the Bullfight charge, either came last or close to it. oh well!, it isn't about winning for me It was about getting experience for races coming up and most of all enjoying the sport I am so passionate about. I'll keep working at it, my on snow training lets me down a lot as I don't get up to the snow often. I seem to be more proficient at Roller skiing right now, don't know how that works out? Anyway had a great time, It was probably the last day of skiable snow until the next low level system comes along. By the end of the day the trails were very worn, there were numerous obstacles to dodge on the course, i'm sure there were many skiers falling. I took my BC skis out to do some telemarks as my legs were burning from skating, that was fun, can't wait to unleash them at hotham!

43. Goski

Goski Addicted

Skied around for almost 5 hours with my family and some friends, 4 kids aged 9 to 10 (two sets of twins). Cover sufficient to get around thankfully. it held up better than I'd expected. We watched the bullfighters go by at The Camp which was interesting. Fast frontrunners nimbly stepping over obstacles site but also great to see inexperienced skiers having a go too.
    Bought our entry voucher at Mystic Mountains and it was very busy there at 9.15. Still had join the 400m car queue at the gate to exchange the voucher for an entry pass, process which saves no time over paying cash. Should have a system whereby the voucher is your day pass with a date stamp so you can bypass the gate. This is what happens at other Vic resorts to keep the queue shorter. What you buy off mountain is the same sticker as what the gate issues with the date written on it. We'll be bike riding this coming weekend and hoping for LM and St Gwinear skiing in August.

44. teckel

Thanks for that feedback on the passes, Goski. I wasn't aware of that, but will raise the issue with the mountain in the hope it can be rectified for next season.

45. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So,if you buy online you still have to queue? I guess you do.

46. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

The exact same thing happened to me on sunday, they have no separate queue or way of checking at the carpark. Way better system at Baw Baw

#146 TeleXC, Jul 30, 2013
  47. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

When I was leaving the mountain weekend before last there was a motionless queue of about 15 cars with only one of the booths open [​IMG]
    They're doing themselves a disservice since it's not much harder to go to Baw Baw.

#147 carrotdude, Jul 31, 2013
  48. teckel

Looking very white and pretty for the weekend [​IMG]

#148 teckel, Aug 2, 2013
  49. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

Will try to go up tomorrow if tonights forecast is correct.
    [​IMG]

#149 carrotdude, Aug 3, 2013
  50. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Yes for us SE surbanites its pretty close timewise perhaps~ 2hrs (careful with 4 YO in backseat) & shirt coffee stop in. Marysville vs 2.5 hrs to Bbaw via Freeway & Noojee or Erica (less curves too!).

Then add differences in delays with parking, entrance, hire & crowds & it can be http://lakemountainresort.com.au/accommodation ball.

Not knocking the Lake (love it & all mtns even NSW sort of!) but stuff like congestion, crowds, queues etc..
    Can easily sway visitors. Maybe resort should look at their systems/survey etc....& amend??? Hopefully?

My 2 cents with almost 30 seasons of mainly xc skiing in Vic.

#150 snowgum, Aug 3, 2013