Lake Mountain 2013 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by teckel, May 14, 2013.

1. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Apologies folks, not sure what happened above (Iphone quirk??))

That link was unintentional, the sentence should read:

"Then add differences in delays with parking, entrance, hire & crowds & it can be LINE BALL". (;-/)

2. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

Got to Marysville about 8am and decided not to try it as about that time I got a report from one of the ski school staff who had just done a survey of the trails. Apparently they were soggy and patchy (the temp was borderline last night).
    Now I get home and the cams show a fresh, complete surface from echo flat onwards, yet the description says poor. [​IMG]
    Oh well, now back to what I was supposed to be doing today, work [​IMG]

#152 carrotdude, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  3. Slalom

Slalom A Local
    Ski Pass: Gold

Took my nephew on his maiden "snow trip" to the mountain today. Bit of tobogganing and snow play. Conditions good for a first timer.
    Village toboggan run was good until the crowds arrived. Choppy by mid arvo, even worse over at the Koala run (from memory).
    All in all well worth the trip. Hopefully got another future snow addicted kid out of it.

4. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Skiers today reported fairly good skiing from Echo Flat, and patchy but doable skiing below that. What a shame you never got there. I'd be giving him a piece of your mind!

#154 teckel, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  5. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Anyone see LM on the today show this morning? Looked grassy, hopefully some snow comes this afternoon

6. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Saw one weather report when it was still dark. The next one, the dogs were barking so loudly for their morning toast with vegemite, that I couldn't make it to the TV to see or hear in time. Left for work 5 mins after that.

7. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Quick Video LM put up tonight:

#157 TeleXC, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  8. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

#158 carrotdude, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  9. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Everyone without exception returning gear today pronounced the day "perfect".
    When they arrived it was still snowing on top of the 16cm fresh snow overnight. When they left it was sunny. With lots of soft fluffy snow everywhere.

10. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Sounds like heaven up there. Were the snowfalls today anything significant or just a dusting?

11. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Going by the car park web cam history, I'd say just a dusting.

12. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Looking good in the coming week for Lake Mountain, although don't take these forecasts too seriously...
    [​IMG]

#162 TeleXC, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  13. Vertikar

Vertikar Hard Yards

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what they're doing up near Woolybutt?
    Saw this on the pics this morning -
    [img:left]http://i.imgur.com/lzccbqF.png[/img]

14. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

There you go [​IMG] , forums don't let first timers put up images for some reason.
    No I'm not sure, maybe it has something to do with snowmaking which is exciting if it is

#164 TeleXC, Aug 13, 2013
  15. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Lake Mountain seem to have the same base as Donna Buang about 3cm? shame nothing much came from last night

16. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

That pic looks to me like the path between the village and koala creek creek toboggan runs, which would explain the snow pipe from the big white snowmaker.
    The cam photographer never went up on the trails yesterday, hence the report vid was taken next to the visitor centre. They just filled the cam slots with other random areas instead.

17. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

I think you may be right carrotdude. I saw the pic and was wondering much the same thing.

18. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

ah, Thought it had to be too good to be true... I'm sure they'l get to trail snow making one day

19. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty

I wouldn't hold your breath Tele. They would need fan guns, a lot of power (which they don't have), a lot of water and other infrastructure. All requires a lot of $$, permits etc.

20. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Yeah, its a shame If only they could get some funding to do snowmaking on one trail like echo flat. Then It would allow them to give first timers a bit of trail to try it out, get a lesson and avoid a bit of disappointment if they came up wanting to do a little skiing. But it's only a dream I guess, XC doesn't have the popularity or interest they get in downhill skiing at resorts like Buller to afford to make snow for it

21. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

There's a rumour going around that they're trying to get $2 million of funding from somewhere to get some guns for the trail head/lower echo flat area.
    Whether or not that actually ends up happening we'll just have to wait and see.

22. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

There would be a need for a lake, giving Lake Mountain an actual lake to be named with instead of naming it after George Lake the surveyor... [​IMG]

I think the funding could happen one day, Isn't Ben Lomond asking for some money to help them secure more reliable seasons with snow making equipment? I think with the much dreaded G****** W******* coming into effect (if it does, I'm not saying it will) in the coming years, which may effect the lower resorts first, They will value snow making equipment quite highly.

#172 TeleXC, Aug 14, 2013
  23. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears say its not one of their projects.....what would it be....

24. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Monday night/tuesday morning should be interesting for LM, low level snow just out of Marysville IMO should make for a beautiful drive up the mountain. Hopefully at least 10cm before tuesday. Can't wait to get back up there to ski

25. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

I certainly hope you're right. Never before have we needed it so badly.

26. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

don't rely on me for predictions, but I am certain the temps will be there after checking the freeze level on GFS at those times, hopefully enough precipitation comes through, which has to be the story of the year at LM this season plus R**n damage [​IMG]

#176 TeleXC, Aug 18, 2013
  27. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

I'm in full agreement with you, actually [​IMG] My reading of the weather charts says just the same thing. But this season has been so full of disappointing weather outcomes that I'm starting to doubt the charts.

#177 teckel, Aug 18, 2013
  28. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Yes it has been surprising, I think a lot of it has to do with the orographic lift effect that benefits resort like hotham but not the ones like Buffalo. I believe we've had the temps, we just miss out on the precip the other resorts seem to get. Unfortunately baw baw is doing it real tough too and on the other extreme buffalo, that usually does very poorly had 40cm+ at one time (but I guess there a little higher so its hard to compare). This season I am having difficulty remembering if we ever had a base at LM that got added to after the next system, but I think it may have just melted, snowed again, rained, and snow again.... Since picking up XC skiing and going to LM I have never seen 20-30cm+ at LM I hope we get a happy ending this season and the next one is a lot more consistent than 2012 and this year

29. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

30. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Disregard the last report by me, I think there was a bit of a stuff up in the snow australia email report, they say 5cm natural yet there was nothing on the cams this morning???? On the brighter side it looks like theres been some good snow over the last few hours, any on ground reports from anyone?

31. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

They've had the snow guns (the proper ones) going non-stop since the middle of the night so the freezing conditions must be ideal atm.
    From what I'm seeing it'll probably dump tomorrow. Moderate to heavy precipitation falling as snow above 500m, I think yes [​IMG]

#181 carrotdude, Aug 19, 2013
  32. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

are you going to go up to ski tomorrow carrot? I'm thinking i might play it safe and wait for wendsday if it isn't forecast to r**n. Hopefully a huge dump is on the cards soon

33. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

I much prefer the snow to be under my skis rather than falling onto me. If I could I'd go wednesday, but I have to attend class (yes, I'm a student). Friday is more likely if I can get off.
    If the current predictions are correct than we should get a decent fall on Thursday too although maybe a sprinkle of rain on Saturday. Time for a sickie I reckon.

34. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I'm a student too but because it's tafe I get weird days off on tues & wens. Cause theres only a month or so left in the season I'd say take any opportunity you can get. I am getting really sick of roller skiing. Poor LM has only had like 2 weeks worth of natural snow this season

35. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

[​IMG]
    please let this prediction be true...

#185 TeleXC, Aug 19, 2013
  36. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

My first complaint about mountain operations for the season:
    At 7:50 this morning I phoned the mountain asking if chains were required to be carried today. "No" they said. I was incredulous. Consequently, I advised my customers in 2WD vehicles to carry chains, and I would refund the cost if they weren't used. At 3:25pm, the mountain phoned me to advise that all 2WD vehicles had to carry chains. A bit late, me thinks. What on earth were they thinking this morning?

37. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Wow, don't they read the forecasts. a forecast for 500m snow all over the news last night would be obvious snow for lake mountain. I think it started snowing on the cams at that time around 3 so they musn't have seen it coming at all. That is not at all good on their behalf

38. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

There is a conflict of interest involved, I think.
    If people are forced to stop at a ski hire at the bottom of the mountain to hire chains, those people are more likely to hire all their gear at the bottom of the mountain, and therefore the resort's ski hire loses custom. Imo, peoples' safety should be more important than profits. And yes, I know it's been a really bad year for the mountain.

39. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

I've noticed several times over the last few months that a fair bit of the precipitation often "misses" the elevated terrain that LM is on. Happened again today: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR02C.loop.shtml#skip

I'm not sure if this is because of the radar signals being less responsive at altitude or if it's the rain clouds being at or below the height of the mountain meaning that the rain/snow fall is largely below them. Given that the radar seems to work fine around Buller etc I'm guessing it's the latter.

#189 carrotdude, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  40. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty

Nice to see LM is reporting 13cm of snow. It's a start (again)!

41. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

They reported 20cm mid morning and thanks to the wonderful ski.com.au invention of hourly cam history we can see that they've also had a couple of dustings today [​IMG]
    I'm planning to head up tomorrow, will post report when I get back.

#191 carrotdude, Aug 20, 2013
  42. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I'd agree with that, I have noticed that that happens many times. The mountains/ranges in front of the radar stuff up some of the signals hence the patches at higher altitudes. The best radar is the composite (melbourne + yarrawonga) because they pick up what each other misses out on. I'm guessing the radar doesn't have much of a problem with buller because the mountain is so isolated compared to the terrain around lake mountain

On lake mountains video report they reported 20cm (maybe thats up high) still teriffic news, Hopefully were on our way to the 40-50cm forecast by mountain watch!

The only thing I am concerned about is the temps towards the end of the system. Hopefully all goes well,

How exiting is this! a 10-20cm base is just as exciting as a 1m base at hotham! [​IMG]

#192 TeleXC, Aug 20, 2013
  43. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

There was some base left over on the upper trails when this system came through fortunately.
    You heading up during the week tele?

44. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

wow I had no idea we had a base up high! I guess the summit at 1480m pays off sometimes.

Hmmm not really unfortunately family event i've got to go to and more tafe [​IMG] so maybe over the weekend if its still good. I'll have to ski with you one day. Do you skate?

#194 TeleXC, Aug 20, 2013
  45. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

Not yet, when I'm more cashed up and able to frequent Falls and Stirling then I can justify it. But for now while I'm mostly confined to LM and Baw Baw I have to stick with classical just to be able to ski at all since the conditions rarely seem good/smooth enough for skating. Are you a slowish skater? I'm pretty fast for the planks I'm on.

Tomorrow I'm helping a mate of mine refresh his XC ability but that won't take long.

And yes, it's amazing the difference 150m extra height makes. If only it was possible to lift a mountain.

46. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I started off with skate skis, which most people don't usually do. I sometimes have to bare the bad conditions with them but I also use Backcountry skis for tricky snow or steeper downhills. I am pretty slow at skating as I don't know how to use all the techniques properly yet.

Maybe we could dump tones and tones of rocks and granite boulders on top of Lake Mountain (maybe we could get some from buffalo, they have heaps!) then get some dirt overtop and replant the vegetation that got burnt anyway

47. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Just for your amusement ...

An instructor told me this story a long time ago.

She was a newbie and learned on skaters and was invited by friends to tour Bogong. So she rocks up with heavy pack and skaters. And coped fine.

No wonder she became an instructor.

As always, the bottom line is that the skier makes the going, not the gear.

That said, do not try the above at home! ;-)

48. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

haha, really? thats amazing doing bogong on skates. what I do like about them as you can get up a lot of speed on them compared to classic skis but they are incredibly hard to telemark on!

49. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Ah, yes, the 'sidecut' is in the wrong direction altogether!

Yeah, I love skating on groomed trails. A good launch gives you metres of glide.

But I hate having to reacclimatise to them after days on heavy metal. They feel like matchsticks at first.

One of the best things in my repertoire with heavy metal is just plain kick and glide inc. double-pole single kick.

50. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

which is my queue to post this favourite clip of some falls creek xc guys again

the fun really starts at 3:36

#200 currawong, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013