1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Lake Mountain 2014 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by teckel, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Please post here. We're getting current stuff appearing in 2012 & 2013 threads, which will make it hard for people to find what they're looking for.

2. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

Anyone know what's happening with the automatic cams? They haven't updated since Monday/Tuesday.

3. teckel

I phoned them on Saturday morning. They said they are having trouble uploading the images but are working on it. Unfortunately, this seems to happen every year. They use a local ISP, really nice people, but I think they need to look further afield.

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

the trials and tribulations of the LM web cam cold be another annual thread ;)

5. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Looks as though there is something happening up there this afternoon. Natural, not machine made. Here comes winter.

6. teckel

Yep, the car park was under snow on the last web cam pic :) :woohoo:
    The ski hire on the left hand side of the highway in Narbethong will be open from 7:30 am all week, until the weekend when it will be open at 7:00 am

7. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

Considering heading up tomorrow. Tempting......

8. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

Teckel, any reports on the conditions up at Lake Mountain? We are thinking of heading up there for a ski on Saturday if its skiable

9. teckel

It's rain affected unfortunately, but as you can see from the cams, eminently skiable :)
    Ungroomed at this stage, hopefully it will be groomed for the weekend.

10. teckel

It snowed last night and today :D
    It was cold and windy today, but everyone who went up had a good time.
    It wasn't very crowded either.
    Toboggan run is great. Ski trails are well covered, but no grooming yet, making it hard going through the soft snow, especially where it hasn't yet been compacted by other skiers.

More snow is forecast for tomorrow (Sunday) too.

11. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Much more snow.

12. Trip Report Sunday 26th June 2014:

Spent today at Lake Mountain. Snowzilla 2.0 has delivered.

As always hired my skis from Mystic Mountains Ski Hire.... great to see you again Teckel :)

On the way up there were dustings of snow about 1 km before the turnoff. Fitted chains at the ticket booth. Snowline proper was about 1- 2km past the ticket booth. Road was very icy and slippery and chains were definitely needed. Got to the top carpark at 9:20 am.

Headed out on the skis for 3 hours taking photos along the way. Went up to echo flat, along Echo Flat Trail through The Camp to the The Gap. Went up a little way up Woolybutt trail but it was ungroomed. Returned via Muster Trail and the return trail. Coverage is continuous, fresh and nice to ski on (although ungroomed in sections) along the lower trails and even better on the upper trails. The grooming machines were out and about getting it all in order. Most of the main trails should have been groomed by now.

Snowed consistently from about 10:30 am onwards... heavy at times. Nice big dry flakes occasional strong wind gusts but mostly light to moderate wind. Decent accumulation on the car when I got back. Left the mountain at 12:45 pm... snowing heavily. Lots of snow and ice on the road, snow clearing machinery running up and down as well.

Lake Mountain is in the best shape for the June School holidays in years... well worth a visit at the moment. Will post some pictures shortly.

TeleXC and dr80 like this.
  13. Should have been 29/6/2014... :)

14. Looking up from the Trail head 29/6/2014

Equus and TeleXC like this.

15. Echo Flat 29/6/2014

16. The Camp 29/6/2014

17. The Gap 29/6/2014

18. Muster Trail 29/6/2014

19. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

We postponed till today so we would have more fresh stuff. Lots of snow! Did a couple loops on panorama and our tracks had been filled in by the time we went around again! 15cm on my car at the end of the day (2pm). Even had to put chains on to get me out of the car park (in an AWD) - wheels were just spinning!

20. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

Should be some snowmaking tonight too since there's a forecast for frost.
    I'm planning on heading up tomorrow.
    Tecks, would you be willing to hire out your classical Ultrasonics tomorrow? I wouldn't mind trying them out.

21. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

That fits a size 14 foot

22. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

Can an all-resort season pass be purchased at the Lake Mountain ticket booth?

23. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

It's mentioned on their website and they now have EFTPOS at the booth so I can't see why they wouldn't.

Canbat likes this.
  24. Catfight

Catfight First Runs

A great day today,
    Plenty of fresh snow.
    Gives one hope for the season

25. teckel

Ouch! Size 14! I have NNN boots to size 48 (Madshus only make them to 48). I have one pair of size 49s but in SNS. One poor pair of skis with SNS bindings for those 49s. (They used to be decent until someone trashed them. I'll buy a new pair of skis for them next winter, or another brand of NNN boots in 49). If you can fit into 48s, my ultrasonics would love a trip out with you :) They were confined to indoors all 2013 due to the bad conditions, so are raring to get out ;)

26. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

I'll try them on in the shop, hopefully they'll fit. If not I'll just have to use standards. I plan to be there bang on 7:30.

27. teckel

Hardly anyone returned their gear until after 3pm today. Even those who hired their gear at 7:30am. Even though it was snowing and very cold, without exception everyone raved about the conditions - skiers and snow players alike.

28. teckel

See you then! I better make sure I don't sleep in!

29. teckel

As of this morning (Mon 30th June):
    All trails groomed, classical and skating
    30cm snow in the last 24 hours
    Snow making (using fan guns) overnight.
    Magic! It doesn't get any better :woohoo: :woohoo:

Claude Cat likes this.
  30. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Great news Teckel !

31. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yes great news indeed Teckel !( hi hunter !)
    See you next weekend I'll be bringing my cross country virgin skiing partner up to hire some stuff off you !

32. CrossCountrySkiHire

CrossCountrySkiHire First Runs

Phew - what a great start to school hols. We're pooped here at Ski Hire. Here's hoping this lasts all season.....

[- Notified for commercial post but there is no commercial nature to the post other than the name, if links etc were included then it would be -]

#32 CrossCountrySkiHire, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  33. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

The great ski.com.au ski hire war ;)

I don't have time to write up my usual full trip report unfortunately, so I'll just do a quick summary with some pics.

The Ultrasonics were great thanks Tecks. Didn't know there was a ski.com.au discount, nice surprise.

The snow conditions were excellent. A unusually deep base from last week with fresh surface from overnight snow showers. The fans guns were still running when we hit the trails at around 9am.

The main Gerratys car park was full with the smaller one off to the side about half full.

Chains for 2WD were required.

I have to praise the staff efforts. The toll booth attendants gave detailed info re the road conditions (we were the first car of the day), the parking guys were switched on, guests services came round to our cars just after we pulled in to say hi and offer guidance for newbies, or in our case trail and grooming updates. The cafe staff were friendly and clearly happy to be there. There was just this general buzz around the place.

There was snow only 4KM (!) out of marysville and cover shortly after, still well before the turn off.

Some pics:

Ironically, I think this was the "Beware of ice on road sign"

[​IMG]

Snow depth at Echo Flat.

[​IMG]

We didn't see the sun all day. Kept the surface nice though.

[​IMG]

No shortage of the white stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wasn't much to look at at the lookout.

[​IMG]

The trail to Boundary Hut. It looks like they've done some maintenance work on it since last year, the track is wider/less overgrown and the orange arrows have been replaced with brighter fluorescent ones.

[​IMG]

In non-groomed areas it was pretty powdery.

[​IMG]

My brother felt the need to ski down Royston in a banana suit.

[​IMG]

They used a grader to clear the car park. First time I've ever seen it. Strangely though they chose to dump it at the bottom of the main toboggan run.

[​IMG]

It was snowing significantly from 2pm until after we left at 2:45. The freezing level was still below the village.

[​IMG]

Great day had by all.

#33 carrotdude, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Equus, Claude Cat and teckel like this.
  34. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Nice Pics carrotdude. I'm going up tommorow, can't wait! hope there isn't too much rain becuase it looks a little warm tomorrow

35. teckel

The pics are fabulous, Carrotdude. :) Love the pic of your brother!
    It's the best I've seen the resort look in years. And so early in the season :D

#35 teckel, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  36. chriscross

Great shots and excellent conditions, by the look. Timing, too. I'll be up during the week.

37. CrossCountrySkiHire

CrossCountrySkiHire First Runs

Not sure what's meant by "reported as commercial post", or who would make that report? It wasn't intended to be one.

We've read the forum rules and are looking forward to learning how to participate. We're keen to become as much a part of the furniture here on ski.com.au's LM forum as others this year. Hopefully that's OK with everyone? We're part of the Lake Mountain and Marysville experience and just want to contribute to a good year for new visitors and old-timers alike ......

Now that's out of the way, great set of photos carrotdude. Tells a much better, more personal story than the snowcams can.

MisterMxyzptlk and Cookie Muffta like this.
  38. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

looks like this might be the year to check out small cross country resorts like LM & Mt Stirling.

39. teckel

Yes, ladycamper. It's the best it's been in years, especially for this time of year. :thumbs:

40. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Went up to LM yesterday, was a little rain effected but not too bad. Coverage was great but wasn't as powdery and epic as it looked in carrotdudes photos as most of the snow on the trees had melted off. Probably the most snow I've ever seen there since I started going to LM in 2011. Snow wasn't too wet, nice and fast with a little drizzle during the day. Took a few photos on the iphone camera yesterday, hopefully the snow keeps up well for the holidays

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CrossCountrySkiHire, Equus and teckel like this.
  41. teckel

Again, some really nice pics. Hopefully that drizzle was not too much, but enough to compact the soft snow to form a solid base for what (we hope) is to come.

#41 teckel, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  42. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

Skate-skied out to Panorama Lookout then back down Royston Rd for my first ski in nearly 5 years. Physically I was a wreck. That aside, it was a great experience. Most of the time, the only sound I could here when I held my breath, was the thumping of my own heart. The snow was a little variable ranging from just a bit crusty in sheltered shady places to quite sticky in the sun. Yes, the sun broke out for an hour, seemingly because it wanted to accompany on my circuit. There were a few people on the trails, but considering that it's school holidays, good weather and great conditions, one would have expected more. Clearly it's not the $53 resort entry as the toboggan slopes were teeming with people.

teckel and TeleXC like this.
  43. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Bears say time to put snow guns away.....Team Bears were talking about BLIZZAARD and what do u think happened..
    Early July things looking good all over the shop...:yum:

44. chriscross

Great conditions at LM yesterday, with blue sky and sunshine. Good cover all trails but thinner down low. Took skates out in the morning on firm, fast snowpack. Softened up after lunch, so I took my fat skis and new boots up the return trail and part of Muster a few times. Easier climbing with the patterned bases, easier turns in T2s, but it's still a narrow trail, need to do some work on a wider, slightly steeper slope. Great to get in 2 consecutive days (well, one afternoon and a day at LM). Will be busy up there this w/e but I suspect conditions may not be so kind.

45. Cookie Muffta

Cookie Muffta First Runs

First time to Lake Mountain with the family (5 of us) and we had an awesome time. The sun was out until 1pm and the snow cover was great. The toboggan runs we're well groomed and this being the kids first time to see snow, there already asking to go back. (- deleted by admin, reads like an ad for a shop trying to get free promotion -). We will be back for another visit soon, maybe as early as September school holidays, money permitting.

#45 Cookie Muffta, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  46. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

The original plan was to go to Bah Bah, but the family bottled last night, so I headed up "The Mountain". Drizzled all the way, and was 3 degrees and raining with a cool breeze at the car park at 9:30, so it was well that the family didn't come. I did my usual circuit out Panorama and back down Royston. Snow was sticky but at least on the upper trails didn't seem to be too badly affected by the rain which appeared to freeze on the snow. So was hard work going up and down so 1 circuit was enough for me. That's the problem with getting out, you just can't tuck like you used to .....
    Anyway, I was on my way down from the car park by 11:30. Hordes were streaming up on foot. The queue for the ticket booth was all the way back to the corner. Fortunately, the traffic was bearable on the way home.

TeleXC likes this.
  47. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

48. teckel

Chains are required to be carried for all 2WD vehicles today (Wednesday). Drop in on the left in Narbethong and we'll size up your tyre for you, as well as giving you a demo of how to fit them.

49. teckel

It may be an early call, but this season is certainly shaping up as the best for many years. The ski trails have a probable 20-30 cm base with a fresh cover of new snow, and more to come over the next 3 or so days. The main toboggan run has a base of 30cm of man made snow also with a fresh cover. We'll find out in the morning how much fell today. This season could well go down as one to remember - for all the right reasons :D :woohoo:

Equus and Stratus like this.
  50. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Lake Mountain are reporting 25cm fresh, 50cm at the village and 60cm snow making! Thats pretty amazing for Lake Mountain. :woohoo: we've finally got a good base going now!

Equus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.