1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Lake Mountain 2014 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by teckel, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

How many years has it been since the last decent base?

2. Snowpaw Sleddogs

Snowpaw Sleddogs First Runs

Teckel, I reckon the last big dump year around LM was in late June and July of 2008. I ran my team of sled dogs from the junction of upper Taggerty track, down Keppels Track to the Hut and then onto the logging area. The dogs had to break trail in snow that was belly deep and deeper in places. Bloody hard work on the way in, but a very fast run on the way out. Did this two weekends in a row, and left notes in the visitor book at the Hut - sadly destroyed in the Black Saturday fires. Hoping to do the trek again this year with a new team.

teckel and Equus like this.
  3. alpino

alpino Hard Yards

4. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I've actualy never seen a base at LM (on the ski runs) in my years at LM, I started going in about 2010/11 and everytime I've been there theres been 5-10cm snow then it gets washed away and snows again ect.

5. alpino

alpino Hard Yards

6. alpino

alpino Hard Yards

July 2010

[​IMG][​IMG]

teckel and Equus like this.
  7. Snowpaw Sleddogs

Has anyone done the back trail from the upper reaches of LM XCountry trails to Keppels Hut. Would be most interested to know approx. snow depths and conditions. Thanks.

ladycamper likes this.
  8. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Look at that bin! :eek: theres gotta be about a meter there!

cin likes this.
  9. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I imagine Lake Mountain did well today, we were in the area and there were consistent heavy snow showers. Plenty of vehicles heading up the Maroondah Hwy, and a long queue of people wanting to see @teckel !

10. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

We went up Lake Mountain today and it was amazing! I did skating the first time and it was hard work. If anyone saw a short South East Asian girl looking like a total klutz skating that was me. Mr EB was patient to wait around.
    It was snowing the whole day too. Probably the most magical day to go skiing today. :)

11. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Good luck and enjoy langlaufers.

12. teckel

Yup. My busiest day ever :D
    Problem is, how to get stuff washed and dried ready for tomorrow morning starting at 7am. 3 of us still working on the washing and boot drying.

13. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Just a couple of photos I took on the iphone today. What a day it was! I personaly have never seen better conditions at LM.
    Snow level was well below the ticket booth on the way up, made for some incredible views on the way up and also made a huge line of cars waiting for the ticket booth and fitting chains.
    Fat chunks of snow fell at times, was nice and dry, I was suprised by the quality of the snow, it was quite dry and fast for LM standards. Most of the day the visibility was ok and It didn't rain once!
    Grooming was a little slack, Jubile and woolybutt were groomed well and were incredibly fast.
    So many skiers out there, so good to see everyone enjoying some cross country skiing. Couple of skaters out today, its hard work to keep skating the whole time, I had to herringbone and walk quite a bit, gotta work on my fitness and technique.
    Good 50cm on higher trails, with a few bare patches (probably exposed from bad drainage) they've gotta fill those patches quick so it lasts long! About 30cm at the snow gauge near the bottom.

[​IMG]
    Near the ticket booth, wonder how many people crash into those rails!

[​IMG]
    Fresh flakes on eco flat

[​IMG]
    Nicely groomed with two classic tracks! can be scary when you get locked into them going downhill

[​IMG]
    I felt like I was in Europe skiing when I went down jubile, was beautiful

CrossCountrySkiHire, Equus and teckel like this.
  14. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Great shots Tele - looks wonderful - esp for LMtn!

Bit disappointing when one's paying 45-50$ per car to get sub- std grooming. Hopefully will have improved by tomorrow ( be a bit warmer according to the BOM).

TeleXC and Equus like this.
  15. teckel

The only complaints I heard was an hour long wait for the shuttle bus, and that they ran out of food. Good reason to get there early, and eat before the hordes arrive.

16. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Nice report Tele. I was there yesterday too and it was brilliant, probably been over 20 years since I have seen it like that. I thought it was funny that you thought there were a lot of skiers, I couldn't believe how quiet it was, hardly saw anyone on Jubilee or Panorama. It's much quieter than say, 10 years ago, when you would have lots of beginners and heaps of skaters.

Anyway, such a fantastic day I didn't even mind paying the $53! Tele, I was the old guy in black pants and red top shuffling along on Karhus with leather boots. I think I also say Bunny up there too.

Teckel, I'm very happy your finally busy after so many lean years, I was going to pop in but you looked busy and the White Rabbit was calling!

17. teckel

A reminder to everyone to get to the mountain early on weekends. The mountain closed its gates at 11am this morning due to all the car parks being full.

ladycamper likes this.
  18. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I didn't see anyone much on jubilee or panorama too but there was a lot at the bottom taking lessons. I would have loved to see it 10 years ago. yeah there wasn't many skaters would have been great to see more.
    I'm not sure if I saw you, I saw a few tele skiers there, I was on skates and had a bandana on sometimes with a black softshell that had fluro yellow stripes on it.

19. alpino

alpino Hard Yards

I was there yesterday , very few skiers , nothing like years back.. No posting pics because are the same as above. Grooming started only around 10, better than nothing, I thought they were never going to.
    :rolleyes:

20. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Had a great day at lake mountain today . trails were in great condition and the weather fine . hired some great skis from mystic mountains in Narbethong. Took my partner up and her boy for first time cross country . She has never skied but is very fit and also an ice skater , talk about a duck to water , handled the downhill with ease , no falls ,,, unreal

Equus, teckel and TeleXC like this.
  21. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Here's hoping for more good days right throughout winter tecks
    It's about time you had a good one!

teckel and gettingtooold like this.
  22. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Have to concur.
    My Mystic Mountain experience the other day was outstanding.
    Very knowledgeable, very good humored helpful staff, great prices especially for the quality of the gear.
    Will recommend these operations to anyone asking about hiring for LM
    Well done and I hope snow conditions continue to be great.
    That slug machine spits out ice really but it is the savior of the resort nothing surer.
    The toboggan runs need improved shaping to easy to slide off into trouble
    Resort would do well to have a staff member ( a concierge type thing ) moving around the toboggan runs gentle controlling the out of control punters, it is dangerous

teckel likes this.
  23. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Lake Mtn was great yesterday, even though weather was a bit drizzly at times and fairly cloudy. Cover and quality very good for LMin mid July.

Resort is of course! extremely busy. One idea to tackle crowds is offer cheaper entry to park at Arnold Gap or Snowy Hill. Full fares would be more attractive to skiers wanting to head further into the park.

Have to admit I struggled to get past some of the gawkers and bigger family groups at times (as a father of 5-YO myself) in and outside cafés etc...but hey that's LMtn on a good snow day!

Agree with main T run Hunter - it's a bit off camber to the left. Not impossible to fix. Too many non participant gawkers around the main run - needs staff to push them away from users & parent #1

A few other small things would help. A few ski racks around the 'village' would help - esp near the trail head.

I think The resort is big enough for a rental locker system.

It's also messy to get up to the XC trail head from the main cafe - steep, slippery , rocky and in some places narrow. Resort staff need to get a wider, gradual ramp up to the Echo Flat Track start. And a said rack off to the side.

Not sure what the small cafe is attempting with stand only tables - trying to be more bar like?

Lots of parking staff were on hand at 10 am - almost not quite, a waste but handy for all the nubies!

Still pinching myself it's $53 to park at a predominantly snowplay resort. (True no trail fees!!) As long as service quality is high I don't begrudge it too much.

Updating snow reports earlier in the am (esp on snowy/wet weekends) would help city folk plan their trip.

Overall though - great stuff! Go ASAP!

24. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

teleXC, I think you'll find that most of the rail damage is from treefall.

I've been on the trails 3 times now, Weds (during school hols), a Saturday and a Sunday, and I would say apart from the first few hundred metres they were all but deserted. I skated through the non-groomed trails on Saturday in a blizzard. Was magic and didn't begrudge the lack of grooming. Was very glad I threw a baseball cap in my bag at the last minute, however.
    Get there early, leave early, is my best advice.

TeleXC likes this.
  25. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Congrats on skating the ungroomed trails. I gave up with my old Karhus as the snow kept balling on the pattern base, I used to use teflon spray but have not encountered much fresh stuff in the last few years. Did you ski last Saturday, I wouldn't have called it a blizzard just a bit of snow and no wind until later.

I must agree, there are far less skier than a few years back, perhaps people just gave up after a few lean years.

26. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Economy isn't so good these days, students studying harder/working more, snow less reliable and costs getting higher (although no trail fees help). Oh and traffic much heavier / slower through the subs on weekends than the mid 80s when I started skiing !!

Canbat likes this.
  27. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

I skied on Saturday and a week ago Sunday, as well as the Weds before that. I always ski early in the morning if at all possible before the trails soften up. The "blizzard" didn't last long but was quite heavy.
    I was quite an active skier in Victoria from 1994 thru 1998, skiing all the races. Then I moved away and just came back this year. There's a different feel so far but I will reserve further judgment until I've got up into the higher mountains later this season. Don't think I'll race this year, just too unfit to keep going without stopping. Perhaps, next season, if I can regain some specific fitness.
    I am a wax addict so I keep my bases in pretty good shape. Skis are now 18 years old. Not sure you'll see another pair like them around. They've seen 3 or 4 pairs of boots in their time.

28. CrossCountrySkiHire

CrossCountrySkiHire First Runs

Agree. Better communication from the mountain to the hire shops re full car parks would help prevent some frustrations, but the best advice for visitors is simply to get there before everyone else does, especially on snowy weekends.

29. Charlie

Ummmmm, that won't help the population as a whole, it just means the later ones will be turned away earlier!

30. teckel

We tend not to have frustrations. This is our 10th year of operation, and the first angry customer in all that time was on Sunday when a 7 year old threw a full blown 2-year-old temper tantrum - screaming and stamping his feet etc. But then we offered his parents (who were most apologetic) the option of going to Mt Margaret instead, which they did. For those who don't want to wait for the mountain to re-open, or go to Mt Margaret, we offer a full refund (even though we have to launder all the clothing if it has been outside the front door). We find that customers are understanding and accept the situation.

BillyKidd likes this.
  31. Greatfox

Greatfox Hard Yards

While I would desperately like to ski at LM, I cannot seem to entice anyone I know to come with me, and thus the relatively high cost for gate entry on top of ski and chain proves too expensive to make it viable for just me to make the trip.
    I suspect there would be a lot of people in my position (like me, probably skiing at St Gwinear while the snow's good!), as XC skiing just doesn't have the profile here as it does elsewhere in the world...

32. alpino

alpino Hard Yards

I Was there today , great skiing , a bit windy and snowy though.
    Get up there asap . ( Make sure you go really early if you go in the weekend)

33. CrossCountrySkiHire

CrossCountrySkiHire First Runs

Can't fault that logic!

But I'm keen to hear any alternatives to trying to get the word out on websites like this one that on the busiest days LM has a capacity problem? If no hire shops like ours or Teckel's existed in Marysville or Narbethong then many visitors on a busy day could just be sitting in traffic jams on the LM road going nowhere, knowing nothing.

34. teckel

I'm anticipating the biggest day ever at LM tomorrow (Sat). We've had well over 200 phone calls from people planning to go tomorrow! (And the phone calls only represent the tip of the iceberg). We've advised them all to come early! I'm dreading how many cars will be in the car park when we open at 7am! I don't know if the staff will even be able to get in to park at the rear of the shop. I've just got home, after finally finishing the clean up from last weekend/school holidays, and I still have to pack away all the chains that went out today and vacuum the carpet before 7am.

35. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Teckel are you able / interested in speaking to admin / board to maybe change charging structure/ resort entry practices for next year?

Resort should offer a decent discount to park at Snowy Hill or even Arnold Gap?

I think too much is concentrated at Gerratys when the snow is great. That's the very time staff could send people to Snowy Hill. Of course the resort might have to beef up facilities beyond simple toilets. But for simple site seeing and basic tobogganing that's all many folks want. ;)

36. Charlie

I'm pretty sure Belgravia will be on to maximising income, so will most likely spend money next summer to get more punters on the hill!

37. teckel

The toboggan runs in the lower car parks don't always have enough snow to be operational. The mountain's admin reads this forum, so they will see your suggestion :)

38. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

We went skating again today. We were glad it wasn't as busy as last week. We got a park behind the admin building - that early!
    I think we said hi to TeleXC on the way up. Could be anyone with bandana in a yellow ski instructor jacket. :)

This time there was a fair bit more people on skates compared to last week. The snow was also better as you go up to the blue trails. Met a few interesting skiers on Woollybutt.

Just my 2 cents - there were definitely sightseers on normal shoes trampling all over the trails, making big dents albeit some signs around. Does the management do anything about this?

39. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

That might not have been me this time EB I am at falls creek this week, I've usualy got bright white poles with me. :)

I agree with you about the sightseers in normal shoes and I absolutely hate it when people do that considering what little snow LM usualy has. For some reason they ignore the sign at the start that mentions only skiers and snow shoers past this point. Maybe they need it on a banner above the trail head begining in huge writing.
    The good thing is that they usualy only get up to the first corner and they don't go any further

40. Oasis

Oasis Hard Yards

Had a great day at LM yesterday. I was a lone Dad with a 3 and 5 year old which set me to sleep at 8pm. So tired today so im hoping Fathers day is proficient this year!

[​IMG]

We went to Leadbeater's Run for some toboganning and then some snowmen action. We then went snow shoeing up around the Home Trail. I saw the comments on here and thought id just add some details. I and my 5 year old have snow shoes as per picture. I was pulling our 3 year old in a toboggan. So purely as transport. This is probably a very isolated case but we couldnt negotiate the snow shoe trails super well and stuck to a bit of home trail. The snow show trail was too bumpy for the 5 year old let alone a toboggan. I was hoping we werent causing too much of an issue and no one seemed bothered including a ski patrol member. We didnt go far on Home Trail but thought id speak about why we were on the ski trail as opposed to the dedicated snow shoe trail.

Last year we did take a snow shoe trail but got slightly lost. Ended up coming back on a ski run.

41. teckel

I had some customers yesterday who went snowshoeing. They couldn't figure out where the trail resumed after crossing a ski trail and were looking for it when a ski instructor came across them and started yelling at them (according to the customers). That was the only negative of their day. I'm wondering if the snow shoe trails are adequately marked? And for Oasis, maybe a skidoo groom every now and then would help the snowshoers, and therefore, the skiers?

42. teckel

Another issue customers have noted is people tobogganing down the summit walk. This is very dangerous, and no one from ski patrol seems to go up there. (Note to the mountain: a local lady who has a seasons pass has told me she would be more than happy to volunteer to patrol that area, as she has to take her kids up to ski most weekends, and she herself, doesn't ski)

43. dossa5

dossa5 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Makes sense tecks but opens can of worms
    Sounds inenvitable

44. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

Sleddogs, i tackled the trail between boundary hut and keppels hut around a week ago. My skiing mate and I turned back during the descent into the big valley about 30-40% of the way there because of safety and time. Taking dogs there when it's that powdery is asking for trouble. If its not reasonably solid I'd stick with snowshoes. Could have changed with the recent falls though.

Anyway, I've had to move interstate for work so my XC obsession is going to have to be put on hold for a while. All the best.

45. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

only little men yell at others in the snow….Team Bears not like Ski Instructors yelling…Little Bears will issue him with a red card …..

Bears say he was a nasty little man…[​IMG]

#95 Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    TeleXC likes this.
  46. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

hopefully Marysville is benefitting from the good snow season and visitors are happy spending money ,like wise Narby,Buxton ,Black Spur & Healesville...

47. Snowpaw Sleddogs

Thanks Carrotdude. I actually trekked them in on Saturday 19th. It was hard slog, but the dogs are tough and enjoyed the challenge. Belly deep for much of the run up Keppels Track. And even deeper at and past the Hut. At one point, I fell into a hollow and it was waist deep! Of greater challenge were the number of Ash that had come down and hauling dogs, sled and gear over and under them. But, we had an awesome 8 hours. And returning back helped with some of the ghosts of Black Saturday!

48. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Great conditions today at LM. Got there late morning and trails were groomed, sun shining, almost no-one around bar a couple of lesson groups down low and another from Rubicon. Jubilee ridge trail was freshly groomed and just softening a little. Just one set of tracks in front, almost total cover, just a couple of holes in the little steep gullies out where the trail turns back around. Best conditions at LM for years. Need to work on skating technique now.

49. teckel

Yup. Everyone in the area is running around with a smile on their face :)

50. Roonie

Roonie First Runs

To all at LM resort, the conditions have been amazing which I hav experienced first hand this season & the grooming has been excellent.
    I think the system of not needing a trail pass is really good, however $53 entry if your coming up to ski by yourself is a bit rich.
    Maybe management could look at charging the $53 fee but giving a return voucher with a reasonable end date on it for future use, this may improve turnover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.