Snow Report Lake Mountain 2016 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne
It'd be great if they could snow make on the lower trails.
Although I realise that there probably isn't enough demand to justify this...
I had a great time there last year introducing my daughter to the other type skiing.

Reactions: teckel

ladycamper

One of Us
Jul 16, 2010
Australia
I know it's called Lake Mountain (after a Mr George Lake), there is no lake and not really much of a mountain! however, it is a great place for XC when the conditions are good. I was there last year when it was snowing and I swear it was almost powdery!

I mostly do XC these days though can still ski downhill well when I have a clear head.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Ski patrol advertising for volunteers according to a notice at EMC. Would consider it but have not got the First Aid qualifications. Others might be interested. Free entry, I believe.

Reactions: ladycamper

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
That's right Chris, but you're just as likely to be rostered on to patrol the toboggan run when you're on duty. That said, someone who should know said that many of the ski patrollers there can't ski for nuts, so you might have a better chance of being out on the trails.

Reactions: weerab

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
A headups on entry this year. Mountain entry cannot be purchased at the bottom of the mountain. You must purchase on the mountain. (unless you purchase one of their tobogganing packages or a learn to ski package). The quickest way to get through the queue is to pay cash, not by card.

Weerab, they discounted seniors by only a dollar or 2 last year. I felt that was an utter insult to those more senior like us. This year it's so much better.

Reactions: weerab

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
Good question, I would say it would be every day, LM is a ski resort with heaps of day-trippers whereas Gwinear is national park
A headups on entry this year. Mountain entry cannot be purchased at the bottom of the mountain. You must purchase on the mountain. (unless you purchase one of their tobogganing packages or a learn to ski package). The quickest way to get through the queue is to pay cash, not by card.

Weerab, they discounted seniors by only a dollar or 2 last year. I felt that was an utter insult to those more senior like us. This year it's so much better.

So I was correct in saying that there was no real midweek seniors discount last year? It was a bloody insult wasn't it? I met an old guy a few years back and he said he was on a pension but still skied LM once a week as he could still afford it. There was a discount at the time and he was driving up from Hampton or somewhere like that. Makes sense to offer a seniors discount midweek as they are obviously available and not necessarily flush with cash.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
There certainly was Equus. 27th May 2016. First snow of the year.

27-5-16_zpsyekut4m4.jpg

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
It's only been a few decades since I visited LM, but the mention of the $56 entry (!?) prompted me to look at their site.

Lake Mountain all done growed up! I had no idea it had changed so much.

So it's now Lake Mountain Alpine Resort?

And it has snow packages- Family Snow Play Package for $137 - car entry, toboggan hire and lunch for 2 adults and 2 kids.
Winter Wonderland for $375 - car entry, toboggan hire, ski hire, food voucher + lesson for 4. Or a Beginners Ski Package.

I heard they brought in Belgravia Leisure a few years ago to run things. If this works it's a great pipeline for future skiers.
Starting at Buller/Hotham/Perisher/Thredbo/Whistler is a bit intimidating and expensive for many.

edit - I just searched "Belgravia" and see that they, and their capabilities, are a sensitive topic.

Last edited:

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
It's only been a few decades since I visited LM, but the mention of the $56 entry (!?) prompted me to look at their site.

Lake Mountain all done growed up! I had no idea it had changed so much.

So it's now Lake Mountain Alpine Resort?

And it has snow packages- Family Snow Play Package for $137 - car entry, toboggan hire and lunch for 2 adults and 2 kids.
Winter Wonderland for $375 - car entry, toboggan hire, ski hire, food voucher + lesson for 4. Or a Beginners Ski Package.

I heard they brought in Belgravia Leisure a few years ago to run things. If this works it's a great pipeline for future skiers.
Starting at Buller/Hotham/Perisher/Thredbo/Whistler is a bit intimidating and expensive for many.

edit - I just searched "Belgravia" and see that they, and their capabilities, are a sensitive topic.
M

Hasn't changed that much as far as I can tell!

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Hi Teckel , well whaddya think will there be enough for some XC on Sunday at LM ?? If so i will be heading past around 8:15 ish with 4 peeps needing XC poles skis and shoes
See you then i hope !
;)

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Yes I assume that the trails will be skiable to some level , I'll confirm tomorrow morning but will see you misty mountain on Sunday morning!

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
official report saying 10cm , no grooming yet on trails but suggesting full cover /?
Its on ill see you on Sunday Teckel with +1 and two boys in tow 11 , 17

lodojames

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2016
Wondering if there's snow at mt Margaret today? Planning to visit with our dalmatians but don't want the trip to be a waste.

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Yes thanks @teckel Skis and toboggan were great.As per others snow was in amazing condition due to low temps
Snow was dry and cover was very low down the hill beyond the entrance road turnoff . Great sunny day , will be back soon.

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Conditions are great , snow is holding up really well cause the temps everywhere are cold !! Unreal how the snow lowdown is still on the trees due to lack of wind, then lack of sun held it there .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass