Snow Report Lake Mountain 2016 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Yes, there is considerable snow that has fallen , of course it packs down but the boys were doing snow angels in nice dry stuff yesterday

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
13512021_10208070134284895_5808260212458882316_n.jpg

Reactions: Equus

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Nice Mufts ! LM could do no better from a PR perspective than seeding these type of photos into the media.. Chris Hocking is a master of this.

EquatorBunny

Addicted
May 30, 2011
Melbourne
We were there on Sunday. Everyone had a smile on their faces. Skating conditions were amazing. Jubilee wasn't groomed but that didn't stop us.
Some photos coming...

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Hi there equator bunny , i may have seen you briefly along woolybutt . ill keep an eye out for you next time . I might be back this Sunday weather and snow permitting.

Reactions: EquatorBunny
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
jesus maybe Team Bears will have to thro a sickie and hit Lake Mt Trails....

not bad coverage...trees looking a bit sad though...last thing they need up there is another big bush fire before low regrowth is a whole lot bigger...:cool::cool:

Canbat

Hard Yards
Jun 29, 2014
Melbourne
What a difference a day makes ... indeed, but then it works both ways. From the pikkies, Sunday and Monday were lovely, but yesterday was only okay. I skated around the trails yesterday at about 11 am and found it rather tough slogging. Not slushy just amazingly sticky. Lots of exposed bits but all were avoidable. Had to take it very easy on the downhill bits. Today doesn't look very good at all. Still another day and more snow might find me back up again on Saturday.

Canbat

Hard Yards
Jun 29, 2014
Melbourne
Let's all hope for colder temperatures and more snow. Looks a bit grim there today. Was up all day yesterday. Although I skated 1 full lap around at about 11, it was a hard slog in very sticky snow. Some bare patches but nothing unavoidable. Looks like Sunday was the best day.

EquatorBunny

Addicted
May 30, 2011
Melbourne
The weatherman said there'll be another top up this week - tomorrow and Friday. If that is the case, we might be up there again on Sunday. :D

Might see you skimax! I think I remember seeing you on Woolybutt too.

Mufts

Potato
Ski Pass
Oct 27, 2004
Let's all hope for colder temperatures and more snow. Looks a bit grim there today. Was up all day yesterday. Although I skated 1 full lap around at about 11, it was a hard slog in very sticky snow. Some bare patches but nothing unavoidable. Looks like Sunday was the best day.
I wouldn't think of trying to hit the trails at 11am.
8am start while the temps are low.

Canbat

Hard Yards
Jun 29, 2014
Melbourne
Sorry about the double-post. I was messing around with my avatar and thought I'd lost the original then made a scaled down version.

Canbat

Hard Yards
Jun 29, 2014
Melbourne
I wouldn't think of trying to hit the trails at 11am.
8am start while the temps are low.
Agree completely though it was so foggy/misty/overcast that the temperature didn't change at all from when we left home until we hit Marysville and only started to drop as we gained elevation. So it might not have been much better in the early going. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Also had to wait until the rentals opened in Ville De Marie (hey that's got a nice Alpine ring to it), because we'd forgot to replace the kid's snow boots. Sorted that today at the winter sales....
When I go up on the weekends I invariably try to hit the lower gate before 8 in order to get on the snow early and avoid the queues. (Best thing about the All Resort Season Pass!)
Oh and kudos to the one group who I encountered out on the upper trails who referred to me as, "Traffic!" Apt and humourous.

Canbat

Hard Yards
Jun 29, 2014
Melbourne
jesus maybe Team Bears will have to thro a sickie and hit Lake Mt Trails....

not bad coverage...trees looking a bit sad though...last thing they need up there is another big bush fire before low regrowth is a whole lot bigger...:cool::cool:
Actually the trees remind me of Canada.

Jarryd Biffin

Lake Mtn Resort
Jun 30, 2016
Hey Guys,

I'm the Marketing Coordinator at Lake Mountain. There is currently no phone reception or internet on the mountain with no ETA from Telstra on completion. It is certainly snowing on the mountain, with reports from skiers that there is 7cm fallen on the ski trails. The cams will be back online when the internet is restored

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
jesu.x the technology issues.....think there may be lots of snow driven action on that most sacred of crosses at Mt Macedon..
Team Bears say not a place to be hanging around right now..excuse the pun...rain intensifying in Gisborne now...

Lake Mt Resort Management:doh: perhaps could relay messages to Teckel by carrier pigeon.....

Jarryd Biffin

Lake Mtn Resort
Jun 30, 2016
Anyone know if they are planning to groom the ski trails tonight?
No plans at this stage. It would need to freeze over quickly to be groomed by the morning. There is a very wet base and soft snow which the groomer would destroy in current conditions.

Reactions: Vertikar

Kim

Hard Yards
Jul 2, 2016
Hi Jarryd. I'm planning on coming to Lake Mountain tomorrow on the 3/7/2016. How are the trails and do you think it would be good for skiing tomorrow?

Jarryd Biffin

Lake Mtn Resort
Jun 30, 2016
Hi Jarryd. I'm planning on coming to Lake Mountain tomorrow on the 3/7/2016. How are the trails and do you think it would be good for skiing tomorrow?
Hey Kim. Still very soft snow today, I would say at this stage they won't be groomed. They should still be skiable to some level thoigh. I will do a check at the end of the day and see how they held up throughout the day.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Next snow fall is the one that matters. Will determine where I ski next. Skating is fun, rab, you should try it some time.

verna

First Runs
Jul 6, 2016
is 7/7 a good day for xc at Lake Mountain. we are irregulars to the snow and i have no idea of how to determine if its worth going. we will want to ski and snow play. given the costs and effort we want teens and adults to all enjoy the day.

any advice appreciated

thanks

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Verna, there is not a lot of snow on the ski trails at present. If you are prepared to walk some distance, there is some very skiable but ungroomed snow on the upper trails. We need snow desperately. If you are able to leave it a couple of weeks, I would do so if I were you.

Kim

Hard Yards
Jul 2, 2016
Is there any snow expected before Saturday? How are the ski trails today?

Jarryd Biffin

Lake Mtn Resort
Jun 30, 2016
Hey Guys,

The trails are pretty poor at the moment. There was a little bit on Upper Muster, Panorama, and Woolly Butt this morning but it has been raining most of today and it is fairly patchy. It looks like there might be a good front coming through early next week so fingers crossed that will bring some groomable snow!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Team Bears suggest a trip to Healesville Sanctuary or an extended arvo at Blackspur Hotel sitting in front of fire watching big. screen perhaps a trip to Maroondah Dam and lunch at kiosk....perhaps heading to see Teckel and browsing for some gear etc...not a day for H20 Mountain....or even perhaps some deer spotting behind enemy lines over in MMBW Catchment....:eek:

SOU19

First Runs
Jul 11, 2016
Hi I am planning to visit lake mountain tomorrow. I require snow clothing and boot and some equipment. I have few questions

1. Does any hire shop open around 0730 ?
2. I checked the forecast and it seems it will snow tomorrow. will I require chainS. I have a 4wd.

Thankyou

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Hi There as at the minute there is no snow at lake mountain except the main toboggan run.
There is snow coming but im not sure it will be there in quantity till tuesday pm and wednesday .
You can message Teckel as she owns a great ski hire place in Narbethong Mystic Mountains.
http://mysticmountainsskihire.com.au/
They open at 7:30 on weekdays according to their website.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Hi I am planning to visit lake mountain tomorrow. I require snow clothing and boot and some equipment. I have few questions

1. Does any hire shop open around 0730 ?
2. I checked the forecast and it seems it will snow tomorrow. will I require chainS. I have a 4wd.

Thankyou
Yes SOU, Mystic Mountains Ski Hire (on the left side of the road in Narbethong) is open at 7:30.Beware though. You may need to leave the mountain early if the snow level starts descending to low levels, or you may not get home safely. Also it is likely to be very windy tomorrow, and there will be no snow until it starts snowing.

With a 4WD you will not be required to have chains, although it may be a good idea.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass