Snow Report Lake Mountain 2016 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by teckel, May 24, 2016.

1. mansi123

mansi123 First Runs

hi
    i am planing to visit lake mountain tomorrow. can i take my Hyundai getz two wheel drive car there. do i need snow chain? is it good to take this car there. what's the status of snow tomorrow and can i get snow chain over there.

2. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

Mansi, To be honest, it's not the best car to take there, but yes, you can hire your chains at the ski hire on the left side of the road as you drive through Narbethong (it's the only ski hire on the left side of the road).
    Personally though, I wouldn't be going today - it will be blizzard conditions, and not only unpleasant but unsafe too.

3. b.femino

b.femino First Runs

Hi there, what is the possibility of there being enough snow for cross country skiing on friday??

4. b.femino

b.femino First Runs

Hi there, what are the chances for x country skiing on friday??

5. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty

yes id say that it would be ok , if they get 10-15cm its all go

6. Ubiquitous Steve

I would be keeping out of there ...trees will be bending over in this high/gusty wind and are really dangerous to anything travelling or stationary ...at best you get trapped:confused: behind something on the road and at worst u get squashed....:(

7. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty

Friday will be ok Steve , today not so good

8. Jarryd Biffin

Jarryd Biffin Lake Mtn Resort

Hello all

Mountain has been shut for the day due to high winds. The good news is the snow has started to fall!!

9. Ubiquitous Steve

looks like vic rds have closed road at Marysville for traffic heading to Lake Mt due to fallen trees and the danger of fallings trees at this time...head for Teckels place for some shopping...Teckel put the kettle on...better find a really big kettle!!

10. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Teckel's shop is shut because of the mountain road being closed, and power being cut to Narbethong. So no lights, no heating, no water. So I came home, lit a fire, and the power is now back on. (as Murphy would have it)

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  11. Jarryd Biffin

The road to Lake Mountain will be shut for the beginning of today due to hazardous trees on the road between the ticket box, and the top of the mountain.

The trees are being assessed at the moment and the road will be open once it is safe to do so.

12. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Jarryd, Any expected time for re-opening? I hate sending customers to Mt Buller.
    And any chance the ice can be knocked off the toboggan run cam so we can see what's there?

13. Jarryd Biffin

Hey Teckel,

No update on the roads. The trees are to dangerous for our crews to attend, so we have to wait for a contractor to come and complete the work. Hopefully we will have an update soon.

I have tried to remove the ice but it is a little bit out of reach.

I have attached an image that will hopefully give you an idea.

[​IMG]

14. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

You need to grow longer arms then, Jarryd ;)
    That photo looks much better than I thought it would :)
    But I would like to see a light on that snowgun.

15. Jarryd Biffin

[​IMG]

The operation team must have heard you @teckel !

16. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

:thumbs:

And the mountain will re-open shortly. :D

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass: Silver

Send them to Mt Stirling or Mt. Torbreck instead!

18. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Would be nice Mr T, but probably not suitable for families with small kids.
    Anyway, looks like nice things happened there overnight :D

19. Jarryd Biffin

Hey Guys,

Despite the grooming log on our website saying different, we have got most trails groomed this morning with a fresh dusting covering the grooming.

20. Ubiquitous Steve

and how are the approach roads.......are they open..?where do punters need to fit chains...r there any obstacles to be encountered as Melb travellers come thro Blackspur from Healesville to Narbethong....????

Has Teckel got tea pot big enough for all travellers??

21. hanita

hanita First Runs

Hi All,

I was thinking of heading up on Saturday. First timer to Lake Mountain.
    Firstly I was wondering if a MAZDA 323 2004 HATCHBACK would be safe to drive up from Melbourne?
    Where do you get the snow chains from?
    Is Saturday expected to be a busy day?

22. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty

Weather is going to be fine, your car will be fine. Highly unlikely to need chains, but if you do, Mystic Mountains Ski Hire in Narbethong is the place.

Saturday will be very busy. Get there early.

teckel and hanita like this.
  23. hanita

hanita First Runs

When is a good time to get there?
    Do we need to book in before hand for the car and if we want to go tobogganing?

24. hanita

hanita First Runs

Or can you recommend a better mountain to go to, as it is just my partner and I, that is as close as Lake Mountain?

25. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty

Depends what you want to do Hanita ,
    Lake mountain has full facilities up there , cross country skiing trails, and lessons , tobogganing
    Id go there
    Slightly closer is Mt Donna Buang out of Warburton, not sure how much snow there is up there , but there will be some to look at . No facilities up there at all ,
    As absentskier said , not likely to need chains, you will have to pay $50 odd dollars to get through the gate into the resort and if you want to get a car park close to the action you will probably need to be up there by around 9:30 ish

26. hanita

hanita First Runs

Ok great thanks for you help skimax and absentskier.
    Do you pay the fee at the gate? What payment do they accept?
    What's the cafe like? Should we bring food with us?
    Is there toilets?
    Can you get toboggans when we get there?

27. absentskier

You pay at the gate using cash or credit card.

The cafe is okay but expensive (as expected).

There are toilets.

You can get toboggans there, but don't. Get them at Mystic Mountains Ski Hire on the way. @teckel owns the business and will be happy to help you.

28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

There are other places where you can go to play around in the snow where you won't have to pay !

#128 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I like Lake Mt. if it has nuked down with snow very recently but People who don't ski , or snow shoe trek, own ice axes, self arrest poles, flexible crampons etc. often fail to realize that Mt. Saint Gwinear in the Baw Baw N.P., is free to visit ( you can rent chains in Erica) , usually has very good snow after a big cold snap in winter, has toboggan runs for tiny tots and the walk in snow shoes( you can rent snow shoes and poles in Erica ) from the car park to the summit and back does not require supreme fitness for adults either.
    Mt Torbreck is on my day trip list this winter.
    It may not be suitable for tiny tots but it is free and it is the bush in snow.
    Mt. Stirling has a toboggan area that is suitable for children too.
    I do bump into people in winter who have never seen snow before who are going to Mt. Buller for the day . Mt Buller if you don't do down hill skiing is IMO not a fun or natural place and is like Toorak with ice.

weerab likes this.
  30. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Hanita, I always recommend that adults without children either try skiing or snow-shoeing. Snow shoes (as opposed to snow boots) are perfect for adults who don't want to learn to ski. Think tennis racquets strapped to the feet of cartoon characters in the snow. Snow shoes are the modern version of the tennis racquets. With snow shoes you can get away from all the squealing children and get out into the same area as the skiers. Sure, they're not as fast, but you don't need lessons and you get out into the stunningly beautiful trails on the mountain. Every body who does this absolutely loves it. Pack a picnic lunch in a small backpack and lunch out in the snow. When you come back, go into the bistro for a well-earned coffee and snack.

31. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Of the other nearby places, Mt Torbreck isn't really suitable for first-timers. It's a steep climb up the mountain and you need to be fit. There are no facilities at all. The same (no facilities) applies to Mt Margaret, although people with dogs take them for a romp in the snow. Mt Stirling is next to Mt Buller, and a much further trip than Lake Mountain. Mt St Gwinear is the other side of Mt Baw Baw and a bit of a hike to get there. Mt Donna Buang is very crowded and doesn't have reliable snow. In other words, for you, I really think that Lake Mountain is the ideal place especially for an introduction to snowfields.

weerab likes this.
  32. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mt St. Gwinear has direct access by its own approach road from Erica , which is nowhere near as steep as the Mt. Baw Baw approach road( The corkscrew!:eek:) or as winding as the Lake Mtn. Road is . In White season it has a hot coffee caravan which may not be open , a toilet and is part of the Baw Baw N.P.
    Parking up At Mt. St. Gwinear is not a hassle either.
    Moreover it has not been burnt in a bushfire recently so the old snow gum trees on the path up to the summit are thriving and mature.
    You do not need to go via the resort at Mt Baw Baw to visit Mt St Gwinear.
    It is about 3 hours one way from Melb. via Moe and Erica but the Baw Baw plateau in winter has a magic of its own.
    Mt. Erica , also part of the Baw Baw N.P. has its own approach road and is free to visit. There is a walk up to the snow line from the Mt . Erica Car Park.
    Snow shoe hire ( MSR snow shoes) and wheel chain hire and a snack and hot chocolate etc. can all be found at the sleepy Gippsland town of Erica.
    Snow shoe trekking gets you to places that some XC skiers would baulk at , esp. if you are carrying a full bushwalking overnight pack . It will certainly get you away from the crowds of ill prepared day visitors who look very cold and wet :( and the tiny tots etc.
    and out to where the beauty of nature in the snow can be appreciated fully.
    Mt Margret ( Marysville area) may require a 4 WD in winter and some of the roads in the area have locked gates during the winter, so access is not always straight forward.
    If you want to see something incredible then make a weekend of it and visit Mt. Buffalo in the snow. It is free, again apart from the cost of wheel chains and the snow shoe hire. Mt Buffalo in full recent snow has voodoo properties :thumbs:.
    You can probably find somewhere to stay in Myrtleford, near Mt Buffalo.

weerab likes this.
  33. stansi

stansi One of Us

Hehe............Love this quote.

Always be prepared for the worst conditions possible at Lake Mountain.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  34. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

All very well and good Mr T, but a) it's the Lake Mountain forum, and b) Hanita asked if there was a better mountain 'as close as Lake Mountain', not twice or 3 times as far from Melbourne.
    Yep Stansi, agreed. Took me a few reads to figure out what ice axes, crampons etc had to do with LM. lol

35. Ubiquitous Steve

agree with one thing here...is you need to get away from carpark :so snow shoes for a non skier will allow u to say walk up well away from carpark onto plateau of Lake Mt or to go exploring up pole line to St Gwinear as an
    alternative...take day pack of sandwiches and thermos for coffee/tea etc..
    Lake Mt from memory does have some seats/tables at a couple of areas that Teckel may mention that would be useful to sit and relax while u have lunch ..suppose major difference is cost of entry(free at St Gwinear but further to drive from Melb) also Lake Mt very popular so to get your car to top car park u need to be up early otherwise u will park and they will carry u up last km on a bus!!

the carparks are not the place to spend the day..u.need to be up track away from all the man made bulls...t. .to experience the peace and beauty of these areas...

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  36. Liam

Liam First Runs

Hi all. I'm going to Lake Mountain tomorrow morning.
    As there is no snow shower today or tomorrow, will there be sufficient snow to do cross-country skiing?
    I'm afraid most of the snow would melt.
    Thanks.

37. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Liam, there should be plenty of snow for cross-country skiing tomorrow. You may have a short walk if the snow doesn't hold to the bottom of the trails, but it will probably only be 50m or so at worst.

38. Can't_Ski

Can't_Ski First Runs

Will there still be enough snow on Sunday for tobogganing and skiing/snowboarding lessons for the kids?

39. absentskier

Snowboarding?? The only ski lessons you'll get at LM are cross-country. There is no downhill skiing or snowboarding.

40. Jarryd Biffin

Hey @Can't_Ski. The Riglets Park (Snowboarding for 3-6 year olds) and Fischer Fun Park ( XC Skiing 3-10 year olds) will be open all weekend!

41. Liam

Liam First Runs

Very helpful. Thanks a lot Teckel!

42. absentskier

Oh yeah I forgot about the new RIglets Park for this year. Apologies @Can't_Ski. This is a great idea.

43. Mufts

Mufts Potato

I've been up a few times this season and really love what is being done in this space.
    Riglets program is great, and was getting a lot of use too, little kids looked to be loving it.
    Really good idea.

Hoping to get up for a skate ski early Sunday.

absentskier likes this.
  44. Can't_Ski

Can't_Ski First Runs

Thanks Jayyrd

45. Seth

Seth Pool Room

Is that visit tax deductible yet?

46. Mufts

Mufts Potato

Two weeks time.

Seth likes this.
  47. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ub.Steve is right . You should try to XC ski or snow shoe it out to the boundary hut ruins, away from the man made nonsense at the car parks to get a proper idea of why the Bush at Lake Mtn. in snow is habit forming. That is the best part of the plateau .That area near Panorama lookout often has real and deep snow if there is any up there.
    This is because it is about 150 M. ( in elevation )higher up than the area where the tiny tots play near the car parks.

If it has snowed properly the night before then it is worth coughing up at the gate and getting a day of exercise on two legs in the back blocks of the Lake Mtn. area.
    You can actually hike up from Lady Talbot drive via Keppel's hut.You will need the topographical map of the area . I did that with my friend Carola during the summer. We worked out how to evade the gate fee in winter by trekking in the back way .The gate at Lady Talbot drive is often shut to all cars in winter which means you'd have to carry an overnight bushwalking pack with snow shoes attached to the pack , to Keppel's hut . The hut is a good one and there is a pit loo/dunny there too. The stream for water is nearby, (just up the foot trail to Lake Mtn, about 10 metres from the road) and the recently cleared track up to Lake Mtn. is clearly marked with orange arrows.
    It joins the Lake Mtn. plateau at the Boundary Hut ruins track loop.
    A ski hire place in Marysville rents out Salomon brand snow shoes which were really good but I ended up buying MSR brand.

#147 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  48. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

MSR snow shoes hired at Mystic Mountains Ski Hire in Narbethong. Can't do any better than that.

49. weerab

weerab One of Us

I was up there today, snow was not super dry but really good. cover is however minimal so best get up there before it disappears. very pleasant day except for all the frozen snow falling off the trees, quite dangerous really as some of the chunks were quite long and a few kilos in weight.
    I was quite surprised at the amount of people there today, why weren't all these kids at school?
    anyway, it was very nice to get out on the relatively lightweight Karhu xcd and leather boots. These would have been called heavy touring gear a few years back!

I bumped into a French speaking couple a couple of times today, we didn't speak, they didn't
    Seem overly friendly. I was tempted to mention the Nice incident but thought better of it, did not want to spoil their trip if they were not aware. My BIL is in France now for his honey moon, hope he stays safe.

#149 weerab, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  50. chriscross

chriscross One of Us

Worth a trip tomorrow (Monday), Rab? Haven't skied LM yet this year and would like to give it a go before this week's r**n. Interested in your view as the most recent poster. I don't mind a short hike with light gear to get to skiable snow.