Snow Report Lake Mountain 2016 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
REAL Snow falls from the sky and makes the entire landscape white. Fake ice from the slurpy machine is a con job.

o_O:doh:. The fact it isn't good enough for "you" isn't really relevant. Either there is slurpy snow on the ground or there is nothing. Im sure the snowplayers and first timers will appreciate having at least something to play with (as opposed to nothing).

Last edited:

jungfrau

One of Us
Jun 25, 2013
Is the official season over for lake mountain? IE can I walk there without paying gate entry ?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I like real snow. I head out into the back country to commune with nature in real snow and ice. That is the trip I am on. If people like fake snow then good for them.
Lake Mountain can be a good day out any time of the year esp. from Keppel's hut but I am now converted to Mt. Torbreck in winter. It is wilder and tougher than Lake Mtn. ever will be.

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
I like real snow. I head out into the back country to commune with nature in real snow and ice. That is the trip I am on. If people like fake snow then good for them.
Lake Mountain can be a good day out any time of the year esp. from Keppel's hut but I am now converted to Mt. Torbreck in winter. It is wilder and tougher than Lake Mtn. ever will be.
People going for a day trip to go toboganning probably aren't going to care or even notice.

They just want to have a good time in a new and for them a possibly unusual location.

Reactions: Jellybeans

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
You can't ski Torbreck. Lake Mountain is just as beautiful as Torbreck and less scary for those who don't have the full gear. Anything that is white and cold is snow, whether it comes from the sky or a gun. It doesn't worry me.

Last edited:

jungfrau

One of Us
Jun 25, 2013
Yes, the season is over. Gate entry is free. Bistro only open Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. You'll be very lucky to find any snow though
Went yesterday (tooted as I went past) for walk along echo flat to observation rock, sadly no snow but a bueatiful walk. Who knows, there might be some snow there next weekend

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Fresh snow overnight at Lake Mountain. And free mountain entry!!!
tt

Nothing open on the mountain today, not even the bistro. So stop in Narbethong (left side of the road) on the way, to hire all you need. I would suggest chains for all vehicles (including 4WDs), as I doubt there will be any snow clearing on the roads.

Reactions: Jellybeans

eurosnowtec

Hard Yards
Apr 20, 2007
Europe
Fresh snow overnight at Lake Mountain. And free mountain entry!!!
tt

Nothing open on the mountain today, not even the bistro. So stop in Narbethong (left side of the road) on the way, to hire all you need. I would suggest chains for all vehicles (including 4WDs), as I doubt there will be any snow clearing on the roads.
No snow on the road at all, clear all the way to the top,

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Thanks, Billy, but the car park cam and trail head cam are dated 30/09. I thought it must have rained to disappear so fast, thanks Tecks. Cranky response from the snowtec- must have had a bad season, too.

eurosnowtec

Hard Yards
Apr 20, 2007
Europe
Thanks, Billy, but the car park cam and trail head cam are dated 30/09. I thought it must have rained to disappear so fast, thanks Tecks. Cranky response from the snowtec- must have had a bad season, too.
No, had a great ski on all the trails this morning, 10 cm cover across the resorts ski trails, early up and got a good two hours of great skiing from the resort Snowsports Centre

Reactions: teckel
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass