1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Lake Mountain 2020 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by teckel, May 28, 2020.

1. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Lake Mountain will be open from 1st to 6th June, but entries must be booked on their website prior to the day of visiting. No booking, no entry. Keep checking this thread for what happens from 7th June.

We’re open but it’s limited!
    From Monday 1st June you can pre-purchase your tickets for the day.

No ticket, no entry.

Resort Entry from 1st June to 6th June is free but you must have a ticket so we can manage the people numbers.

Rental gear is only available in Marysville, Narbethong, or the Black Spur. No rental gear will be available at Lake Mountain Alpine Resort.

No Food and beverage outlets will be available during this week.

Public bbq’s will remain closed.

Public bathrooms will be open with strict social distancing and requirements enforced.
    Pre Purchase Tickets

2. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Thanks but I will be XC skiing at JB Plain to Paw Paw plain and back on Tuesday June 2nd and making the most of being allowed out of town for a multi nighter trip from June 1st -3rd as well as hopefully enjoying the the better snow cover and higher elevation in the broader Hot Ham area.
    I think @Simon11 will be interested in this scheme for June 2nd , next Tuesday.

LM management better get their ski trails cleared of fallen timber ASAP.

4. Simon11

Simon11 Hard Yards

Is LM skiiable? As far as I've seen, there's no info on their site as to the conditions of their trails (groomed or not), nor is there info on the current trail plan in place to make xc skiing accessible, nor is there a predicted and foreseeable trail maintenance outlined to the xc skiing community (other than T and Steve). too unreliable (at this stage) to make a split decision regarding xc activity this early in the season. Maybe in a month or 2? idk. T?

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I just looked at the snow cam. and thought with no gate fees until June 6th it could be worth visit. I am going up to Falls Ck. today and will report back.It looks like they got nearly 20 cms on the table o meter.But yes, the XC skiing caper is not a high priority for selling LM to the snow play based masses .The LM web site yesterday said that they are now open for day trips with only the dunnies open for visitors to use plus they were making all cars fit chains which is bollocks.

#5 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Simon11 likes this.
  6. teckel

The season doesn't start until 22nd. And even in a normal year it wouldn't start until Saturday. So no, they wouldn't be grooming the trails yet. Nor would they be doing snow or trail reports. Especially this year, they don't want to be actively encouraging visitors until the season opens. I get your frustration, but I also get their reluctance to put up the info you want. If you go there now, what you see is what you get.

7. teckel

That said, from the camera:
    - it appears they haven't yet started snow making, which is a concern. There has been a small pile of snow they made when testing the system a couple of weeks ago. And the guns still have their covers on.
    - they have put red and blue sticks in the ground breaking up the area, presumably for social distancing? - corraling the masses into various distinct areas? Doesn't look nice, regardless.

Simon11 and Chaeron like this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

We will see what happens at LM this white season. I don't hold much hope for a XC skiing friendly approach like we had in 2018.

Simon11 likes this.
  9. teckel

I spoke with them after I posted the above. The snow factory is 'warming up'. I found that concept in regards to a snow maker slightly amusing. Apparently it takes 2 days to warm up. Now, they will not be grooming or encouraging skiing until 22nd June. There will also be no ski patrol until then, so you ski entirely at your own risk. The snow up there atm is very soft and won't last long.

10. beefa skiing

beefa skiing Hard Yards

LM are refusing entry (even with the pass that they have for daily numbers management) for anyone who looks like they intend to go skiing. Saying skiing is not permitted on LM trails until the 22nd. Other resorts seem to be taking a different view. Ticks me off quite a bit because the LM resort area only covers a very small amount of the XC trails, most of them are in the Yarra Ranges National Park.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  11. Dalesh

Dalesh First Runs

When we went up yesterday with skis on the car they just told us that skiing isn't allowed then waved us through.

Mister Tee on XC Skis and teckel like this.
  12. beefa skiing

beefa skiing Hard Yards

Think you were lucky.

13. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This weird non sensical (no ski) ruling contrasts with Mount Stirling whereby the Dedicated snow play and tobogganing areas Are ‘closed’ but skiing and snow play per se is permitted and thx ski trails open.

One wonders why the mountain is ‘open’ if skiing isn’t allowed. Sort of feels the State Gov have instructed LMtn to have limited Opening but resort admin are Only begrudgingly agreeing.

I note that in recent years - especially in relation to Skiing near falling trees and fitting chains on snow days, the risk aversion ‘action lever’ is dialled up pretty high on the mount. It’s understandable but can seem OTT sometimes?

Mister Tee on XC Skis and nezumi like this.
  14. teckel

I think the issue with skiing is that they're worried that because there is no grooming and no ski patrol, they're concerned about legal action against the resort if someone gets hurt. They advised me not to hire skis for that reason. They told me they couldn't stop people going out on their own skis. Beefa, I think you were unlucky.

#14 teckel, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Mister Tee on XC Skis and nezumi like this.
  15. snowgum

I hope people will go and support businesses too. But the nannying is over the top. There’s so many bush tracks in Vic that offer nothing and LMTn don’t generally patrol in summer (?) so most people accept this risk and happily still participate.

For some reason - is it proximity to city slickers or the high % of snow beginnerS and children - Lake Mtn is over-nannied. It’s slowly killing the experience for old LM lovers!

16. teckel

So the mouuntain has announced the restrictions for 9th to 21st (it says 22nd?). $58 entry, but no skiing and no tobogganing. Snow play only. Presumably, skiing from the 22nd (23rd?) onwards.

17. neilmny

neilmny One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

About 25 or so years ago a mate, a very skilled skier and teacher (he had to be :rolleyes: ) taught this tanglefoot to ski at Lake Mountain. It was a relaxed, friendly and beautiful place to be. It's gone to crap these days. Back then you skied you paid but these days $58.00 for sweet FA they've got to be joking.

GS and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  18. Drt

Drt Hard Yards

Can you snow camp at Lake Mountain surrounds?
    If you stay overnight, does this mean you have to buy two day tickets = $116 just to snow camp?

19. snowgum

The LMTN service delivery / user model is broken. Despite some wonderful people doing a great job under very trying & unique circumstances.

I tend to blame parts of Govt dept.s for placing the importance of risk and fiscal prudence Waaaay above the rest of the resort requirements. Baw Baw / Mt SG is heading this way and The Buffalo boat sailed after the 04 fires.

I really hope I misunderstand the current charging scenario: $58 for a car but not allowed to ski until ~ 22/23 June? Are really that Stupid? Desperate? :confused: :mad: :( :eek:

20. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

it's called deterring people from going up till 22nd without actually prohibiting it

snowgum likes this.
  21. teckel

OK, apparently I got it wrong. There is to be no skiing and no tobogganing until the 22/23rd. I figured that until the 6th (long weekend) that it was green season, and people have always gone skiing when it snows in green season. I figured that's what applied now until the long weekend. But they've declared no skiing from now until 22nd/23rd.
    They also changed their advice on their website about no skiing, no tobogganing this morning. I hadn't read that until after I posted.

22. Drt

Drt Hard Yards

Its actually sold out this Saturday - no spots left!

23. teckel

In normal years, yes, you can snow camp. You must register your intentions at the admin office so that they don't send out search and rescue when they try to close the resort at night and see your car in the carpark. This year, I don't know. I can't see why not (after 22nd) provided you practice social distancing. Phone them to check.

Drt likes this.
  24. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Or investigate Mr T's access via Keppel's Hut. No entry fee payable.

25. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I hopefully "bought" a $0.00 car entry pass on Monday night for this Friday but with no skiing allowed !! - and there will no skiable snow by then - there is no point going. If we took mountain bikes odds are we wouldn't be allowed to use them on the trails. Plus they may make me fit chains needlessly to our Subaru Forester if there are a few snowflakes about because they are confused about what a 4wd vehicle is and they put everybody in the same category as the snowplay visitors who have never driven a car near a hill before.

26. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

As Teckel mentioned earlier , there is no confirmation that any snow-making has been done to give snow play visitors and snow to play on/with. Looking at the snow cam after dark, it doesn't look white anywhere on the ground. THere is no snow condition report at all. Pity the poor buggers who pay the $58 for this Saturday, Sunday and Monday, turn up, get allocated a square of dirt to be corralled in, and there is no snow and maybe long queues for the loos and no food or beverage services. Crazy? The negative publicity from visitors this weekend could be large. I think the resort would be better to be saying "entry passes will be refunded or credited due to insufficient snow" and allow the punters to move their booking.

snowgum likes this.
  27. teckel

Just checked their webcams. The good news? There are 6 new webcams, updating regularly. :woohoo: Even one for the skiers, - the trail head (even if it's dated August 2019)
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, they can't put live cams on the trails. But they are showing static photos of the trails in October last year. Hopefully they'll bring them up to date soon.

28. teckel

And they've started snow making - see the little pile on the right. The pile on the left was from their testing a couple of weeks ago. Covers still on the main toboggan run fan guns. Pic from 2:30 this afternoon.

Equus likes this.
  29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

You pay per day for parking at LM . Unlike Mt. Stirling which has a discounted rate on parking for multi night snow campers who come early to mid week.
    I have two place names for you. Mt. Margaret Gap and Keppel's hut.
    No fees, it is free but you need to ski or hike in 6-7 kms with an overnight pack from the Mt.M. gap winter gate.
    The Hut has a pit loo, there is a stream for water and the hut has two bunks, a fire place , a picnic table outside and the Team Leader usually stocks the wood shed in June. Once the gate is locked to 4 x 4 traffic in June then it can become skiable from the winter gate all the way to Panorama trail if there is a proper snow fall down to 900 M. The access trail from the hut up to the LM ski trails is kept open by ski dot com dot au forum members during green season with chainsaws and brush cutters.

Take chains and a chainsaw.@teckel sends snow play people up to the Mt. M. Gap each white season.
    LM is so close to Melb. for a XC ski session but each season since the end of 2018 /start of 2019 they are becoming less enticing.
    They seem to sometimes close the approach road if there is snow!!!
    WTF?
    They refuse to groom the trails and pack them down in advance of the seasoning opening esp. if there is a sufficient snowfall thus creating a base for the Nordic ski season to commence. Fallen trees on the ski trails are not given the el choppo pronto!

Drt and snowgum like this.
  30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

@beefa tells me that he was turned away on June 2nd for ski session at LM despite having booked a pass the day before because he wanted to ski on fresh snow. Quite a normal idea except for people who work at a ski resort called LM.
    He may or may not have been enticed to use the Keppel's hut route. He can neither confirm not deny that he made the effort and got fresh tracks on Panorama trail . He can neither confirm nor deny that the Hut ruins loop had 20 cms of skiable snow depth.
    His imaginary no fees trip is laudable, if it took place :p , esp. in the face of what LM are doing or not doing for us skiers who have been going up there for years.

31. snowgum

Good to see snowmaking happening Teckel, but I think charging $58 for a few square metres of main made snow is close to extortion. I think a modest discount for QB W/E would be more fair to new punters.

32. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Look at Falls Creek yesterday.NO Nanny state for them thankyou very much. I went off and skied into the Nat.park solo out to Langford's Gap and back.There were no PV rangers or resort staff saying you can't do this and that etc. .
    They saw me and waved !.Ha Ha Ha :) . I could have been eaten by a Yeti but it was fine. I had a good day overall. I Got my rusty skier's muscles working. I feel a bit sore today :p

33. teckel

It looks as though the pile of Snow Factory snow hasn't grown since 2:30 yesterday! :eek:

34. beefa skiing

beefa skiing Hard Yards

I know nothing about these things. It's nice to imagine though, maybe I even had to dry my skis at the end of the day.

35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

They have to "warm the machine up" , in doing so which probably melts the snow they are making . We are dealing with experts here so we should not question them too much ;-P .

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  36. beefa skiing

beefa skiing Hard Yards

Some images from the 2nd of June still keep coming to my mind. Perhaps they belong in the National Parks thread, because they are in a NP, although the LM resort is the usual method of going to these places.

37. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hotham have announced their Resort Entry is open today. For entry between June 5 and 21 it is priced at $35, compared to a late purchase price of $56.

Purchasing 7 days or more in advance is $48.80 per day

38. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Some nice photos there, beefa. Well done. Snow looks good. But the resort staff are most likely following instructions from management to discourage skiing (with no patrols). We need to bear in mind that people have become lost up there and in at least one case, have lost a life. So a government run resort probably does need to heed the "nanny state" rules.

39. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Oh these pictures are good. Shades of more upcoming Keppel's hut route action this season. I have a supply drop hidden in the Keppel's hut area. We will slog it up there from Mt. M. gap and snow camp at the hut and ski the upper trails. Our track clearing will not be in vain at all.
    Next green season some Long Heath Loop track clearing with chainsaws and brush cutters will happen. We will rehabilitate that ski route.

40. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It is still free to drive up and park at JB plain and XC ski up towards Wire plain and back . There won't be any Nordic ski trail grooming until Hotham opens full tilt in late June. Fallen trees will not be dealt with along that ski trail until the grooming starts with resort staff taking a chainsaw on the skidoo groomer.

41. Mister Tee on XC Skis

That may be the case but some of us know that area really well and have spent numerous trips clearing the access route from Keppel's hut to the Hut ruins and skiing the Hut loop and surrounding Upper trails in all levels of low visibility. As @beefa skiing points out , it is a Nat. Park and what we do up there in by passing the resort and the games they seem intent on playing is our business. We are well equipped and experienced enough to know the risks and manage them so that they are mitigated.
    This applies equally to BC XC skiing in The Baw Baw N.P., Mt. Buffalo N.P. and The Alpine N.P. as well as various state forests which have skiable terrain in white season.

42. snowgum

Hotham will make most of their money post June 21 - probably don’t need to charge so much in the early giggle part of the season?

43. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Mt Margaret is getting a cult following.....at the present rate it will surpass Lake Mt as the selected destination in the area....facilities minimal ....enjoyment factor maximal!:thumbs:

Perhaps work on Boundary Track Walking Trail is needed more than ever!o_O

44. teckel

45. Ubiquitous Steve

46. teckel

Lake Mountain is due to re-open to the public today. Yet, the website says it's still closed. I'm confused.

47. Ubiquitous Steve

Well hopefully some folk can go for a wander,or ride a bike or just sit and enjoy themselves.

48. teckel

Not so simple though. Theoretically, all non-metro people can go, but they must book in prior to going there. But if the website hasn't been updated, no one can actually book. So, no one can go.

49. Ubiquitous Steve

Yeah...that’s a bit of a worry!

50. Mister Tee on XC Skis

We will go up there to LM eventually via Keppel's hut . It has been windy so there will be trees down along the track and power tools will necessary. The Long Heath Track needs some attention too.