Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
upload_2021-4-11_8-34-50.png

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Has Lake Mt managed to stay open....after a small snowfall.

We wait patiently to see if management is successfully managing its first snow event!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Has Lake Mt managed to stay open....after a small snowfall.

We wait patiently to see if management is successfully managing its first snow event!
LM managment did not panic at the sight of snow which was odd.We drove up and skied early today . We hit the planks at 0730. A trip report is coming with photos. It did R*** a bit.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
We’re they fitting chains to cars ?​
Hammi is sure to have wood stove stoking in his “Igloo”!:whistle:

Teckel will be pleased also.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Trip Report - Lake Mtn. April XC ski day.12.4.21.
_SAM9043.JPG

Mr.Tee back on planks at long last . April 12th 2021 at Lake Mtn..

The bright orange sign near the Toll Booth said ALL 2WD must not go past this point without chains fitted. AWD and 4WD are excepted.
My car is AWD with a Limited Slip Differential and ALL TERRAIN snow and mud tyres.( Hankook dynapro AT/M Tyres)

Nobody had chains on their car wheels. The road was wet but had no snow or ice on it .

Some knuckle draggers were doing burn outs in the snow filled Gerraty's car park at 0730. If only they knew how to ski then they would perhaps not carried on in a such a risky manner on such a surface with little traction. They could easily have totally lost control of their vehicles and caused damage to people and vehicles.
I was curious why LM staff were not monitoring the car park the way they do in Ski season when 25 cms of snow often causes mayhem and carnage on the road up there.
If ever there was a place with basically good people with NFI about safe snow driving , appropriate snow attire etc. it would have to LM followed by Mt. Donna Buang.
@teckel reported good extra income at her shop as result of this out of season snowfall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Equus and teckel

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
By legislation, it only becomes a resort between certain dates.That is QB weekend and the end of the ski season. They have no obligation or duty to perform any actions related to snow on the ground outside that period. Anything they do is a bonus. Also, they just don't have the staff floating around waiting for a snow fall. Winter staff start work on QB weekend. The fulltime summer staff are there for administrative or maintenance purposes.

Reactions: Chaeron

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
By legislation, it only becomes a resort between certain dates.That is QB weekend and the end of the ski season. They have no obligation or duty to perform any actions related to snow on the ground outside that period. Anything they do is a bonus. Also, they just don't have the staff floating around waiting for a snow fall. Winter staff start work on QB weekend. The fulltime summer staff are there for administrative or maintenance purposes.
Does Vic Rds have any responsibility to support Lake Mt in maintaining safe road access?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snow drive solutions

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2019
MELBOURNE
www.snowdrivesolutions.com.au
Does Vic Rds have any responsibility to support Lake Mt in maintaining safe road access?

In answer to your question Steve, this information is included in the new Victorian Alpine Resorts (Management) Regulations 2020 https://content.legislation.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-11/20-128sra authorised.pdf

The Victorian Road Safety Rules are anticipated to be amended soon in relation to wheel chains.
Once this amendment occurs, the use of wheel chains will be managed entirely under the Road Safety Rules, (by VicRoads/Transport for Victoria) and the parts of the Regulation that require the use of wheel chains will have no further practical effect."

This information is included in the new Victorian Alpine Resorts (Management) Regulations 2020
https://content.legislation.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-11/20-128sra authorised.pdf
"The new Regulation simplify and modernise the previous Regulation. The structure of the regulations has been altered to ensure consistency with the Act reflecting modern drafting practices.
The Regulation incorporate a number of other changes :- Wheel chain provisions have been amended to align with forthcoming amendments to the Road Safety Road Rules 2017. The Regulation has been updated following consultation with VicRoads.

The Victorian Road Safety Rules are anticipated to be amended soon in relation to wheel chains.
Once this amendment occurs, the use of wheel chains will be managed entirely under the Road Safety Rules, and the parts of the Regulation that require the use of wheel chains will have no further practical effect."

An interim version of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations was made in October 2020.
This version of the regulations will be in effect for 12 months, and during this time, the Department of Transport will release a Regulatory Impact Statement for public comment. This RIS, due late April or early May 2020, will also look at the Hazardous Area Authority.
The Department of Transport will advertise when the RIS and draft Vehicles regulations will be made available for comment.
Refer :-https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/abo...road-safety-vehicles-interim-regulations-2020 The Road Safety (Vehicle) Regulations 2009 have expired and a new set of regulations commenced on 4 October 2020. The new regulations are the Road Safety (Vehicles) Interim Regulations 2020. These regulations are an interim set of regulations in place for a period of 12 months. During this time a Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) and associated consultation process will be undertaken as part of the development of the new Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations which will come into effect in October 2021.

Reactions: Chaeron

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
VicRoads have responsibility for the Marysville-Woods Point Rd - ie: to just before the LM gate. Although in reality, I think the resort and VicRoads co-operate, and sometimes use the same sub-contractors.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
This morning's trip with a 5 year old was a resounding success!

We arrived around 8:40 to a surprisingly empty car park. Donned gear and headed up to find somewhere to make snowballs, a snow person, and slide around on his snowboard. We ended up above the workshop sheds initially, and had some fun on the softening snow up there.

After that we made our way down and around to the possum park play area, where an enthusiastic snowball fight ensued (with me having to prepare and provision snowballs to the fort in between rounds, as the snow up there was too hard).

Then a gradual snowboard ride down the Village Run, back to the car and a break for hot drinks and a sausage roll.

After a minor mishap with the drinks (no seating inside meant we were outdoors, which resulted in a rogue jacket engulfing the warm chocolate! The lid stayed on, fortunately; the cup was rescued with most of the drink intact and the jacket was surprisingly unaffected by the drinks. After all that we agreed that I could put my splitboard together and have a slide while he played. This consisted of a return to Possum Park, a short slide and then a snowball fight with two other families.

After a while I managed to wrangle an agreement to go home, with me sliding down the left hand side of Village Run from Possum Park, and going to the Koala Creek Run for one full slide, including.... turns!

An uneventful drive home was capped off with a brief stop at Beechworth Bakery for some essential sustenance, where I also received a big heartfelt cuddle as thanks for a good morning. Happy dad moment there, and super glad we went.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Going by the Village snow camera ,It looks like LM staff have tested the Machine Groomer , the one with the caterpillar tracks and the snow shovel at the front end. The snow making SLURPEE machine seems to have been switched on too.

Yeah, there was some playing happening with it this morning. It looked like they were packing down the runs near the visitor centre to help the ground cooling and improve the potential for snow to remain when we get the proper winter falls?

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Yeah, there was some playing happening with it this morning. It looked like they were packing down the runs near the visitor centre to help the ground cooling and improve the potential for snow to remain when we get the proper winter falls?

I think the slumbering beast is waking up and LM staff are testing the equipment for winter. I really enjoy skiing at LM when conditions permit and I like how close it is to Melb. .

Last edited:

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
This morning's trip with a 5 year old was a resounding success!

We arrived around 8:40 to a surprisingly empty car park. Donned gear and headed up to find somewhere to make snowballs, a snow person, and slide around on his snowboard. We ended up above the workshop sheds initially, and had some fun on the softening snow up there.

After that we made our way down and around to the possum park play area, where an enthusiastic snowball fight ensued (with me having to prepare and provision snowballs to the fort in between rounds, as the snow up there was too hard).

Then a gradual snowboard ride down the Village Run, back to the car and a break for hot drinks and a sausage roll.

After a minor mishap with the drinks (no seating inside meant we were outdoors, which resulted in a rogue jacket engulfing the warm chocolate! The lid stayed on, fortunately; the cup was rescued with most of the drink intact and the jacket was surprisingly unaffected by the drinks. After all that we agreed that I could put my splitboard together and have a slide while he played. This consisted of a return to Possum Park, a short slide and then a snowball fight with two other families.

After a while I managed to wrangle an agreement to go home, with me sliding down the left hand side of Village Run from Possum Park, and going to the Koala Creek Run for one full slide, including.... turns!

An uneventful drive home was capped off with a brief stop at Beechworth Bakery for some essential sustenance, where I also received a big heartfelt cuddle as thanks for a good morning. Happy dad moment there, and super glad we went.
So, was your son captured on camera?
upload_2021-4-13_20-8-36.png

FYI, the afternoon shots look really awful. The morning was definitely the best time to be there today.

Edit: Just spotted your photo. So, he's in the far distance of the webcam pic I posted :thumbs:

Reactions: Chaeron and nezumi

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
So, was your son captured on camera?
upload_2021-4-13_20-8-36.png

FYI, the afternoon shots look really awful. The morning was definitely the best time to be there today.

Edit: Just spotted your photo. So, he's in the far distance of the webcam pic I posted :thumbs:

Yup, in the background! (with me caught on camera using an *actual snowboard* at Lake Mountain!)

The other 4 are the family that we were having a snowball "fight" with - it was mostly me helping load up the fort in Possum Park with snowballs for their two boys to throw at dad. :D

Reactions: Chaeron and teckel

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Going by the Village snow camera ,It looks like LM staff have tested the Machine Groomer , the one with the caterpillar tracks and the snow shovel at the front end. The snow making SLURPEE machine seems to have been switched on too.
Is that the one they lent to Baw Baw but didnot get back for a season.So...have they got all their equipment functioning or are we to be dismally let down again in the 2021 season!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Is that the one they lent to Baw Baw but didnot get back for a season.So...have they got all their equipment functioning or are we to be dismally let down again in the 2021 season!
LM's white season management Boss does not prioritize Nordic skiing any longer which is a crying shame esp. when conditions are half decent with full complete cover.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
LM's white season management Boss does not prioritize Nordic skiing any longer which is a crying shame esp. when conditions are half decent with full complete cover.
Bears cannot wait till they put in a wheel like Docklands!Small foot print and maximum return on the dollar!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Entry today was free. The road was open. No one was enforcing the Chains must be fitted for all 2 WD sign at the Toll Booth. It was busy at LM car park when I drove off just before 12 Noon.

It was peaceful away from the LM village. I would have thought if the management groomed the trails then it might form a base. I have skied on far less snow up there in the years since I started XC skiing at LM. The skiing was rather good.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Looks like animal footprints?
I was the only person making ski tracks all morning. I had the whole network of XC ski trails to myself .Wide snow ploughs, herringbones, crash marks :-0, tight parallel tracks, step turns.... They were my tracks except that
I saw a myriad of different animal tracks in the snow.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Looks like animal footprints?Drop Bears?
The real animals may have been confined to the Village car park ;-P.
The XC ski trails are a world away from that circus.
I will have a go at skiing Panorama trail and the Hut ruins loop next time there is enough snow up there. I need to take my wider BC XC skis for skiing those routes.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
The real animals may have been confined to the Village car park ;-P.
The XC ski trails are a world away from that circus.
I will have a go at skiing Panorama trail and the Hut ruins loop next time there is enough snow up there. I need to take my wider BC XC skis for skiing those routes.
What do those folk do in Lake Mt Central....do they have a Big Screen in the complex to keep the families amused after the two hour drive!Is the coffee shop able to cope with demand...are they socially distancing and registering with the government site ?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
What do those folk do in Lake Mt Central....do they have a Big Screen in the complex to keep the families amused after the two hour drive!Is the coffee shop able to cope with demand...are they socially distancing and registering with the government site ?

Since most the " services" at LM were shut because it is not officially white season yet , a lot of the masses who had driven all that way on Sunday
to " See snow"
had no idea what to do once they were there, other than sit in their cars with the car heaters on. Whatever floats their boat I say.
Plenty of people had toddlers who were becoming tired , emotional , and shrieking with the early stages of becoming hypothermic because they had no water proof insulated gloves, warm head covering , waterproof footwear etc..
Their parents' attire was not much better .
It was Numpty central.

After reaching "The gauge" the footprints always stop.

That all means less people using the XC ski trails.
:)

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
I did quite a few rentals of clothing, boots, toboggans etc being the only ski hire in the region that was open :)
No skis though.
A lot of people were just up for the weekend, camping or staying in accommodation or whatever, and woke up on Saturday am to find there was snow on the mountain:)

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
The Premier Snow Play Centre seems to continually fail to deliver the goods.
No warm shelter for the kids!That sounds piss poor.

Everything is just too difficult for their Management to get their heads around!Do they not have a warm shelter like Falls or Hotham in which folk can shelter in the warm.Those two are always open as far as I can renember!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Premier Snow Play Centre seems to continually fail to deliver the goods.
No warm shelter for the kids!That sounds piss poor.Everything is just too difficult for their Management to get their heads around!
There is no aircraft hanger with heating with which to fit all of these tourists inside in the comfort that they seem to require.

If they had a traffic martial to police the parking at LM on these icy days and the use of Chains on all 2 WD cars then that would be a big relief.
One day on one of these out of season XC ski trips to LM some knuckle dragger is going to totally lose control of their car on the ice at LM car park and plough into people and /or The Tee Mobile. I think waving a self arrest ski pole ( with the whippet ice axe fitting ) at these nut bars and mouth breathers in a menacing way does not seem to be effective any longer.
Vic. Police enforcing fitting chains at the Toll Booth where the sign says
ALL CARS MUST NOT PROCEED BEYOND THIS POINT WITHOUT WHEEL CHAINS FITTED ( AWD and 4 WD excepted)
if the LM resort staff are not going to do it would ensure rev. heads would not be able to drive very fast at all . Hopefully they might knacker their brake assembly with incorrectly fitted chains. That would make my day really.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Lake Mt is sounding like the Wild West !Aircraft Hanger could be radicle move!But could be a workable solution.

Bears say more folk should be agitating to see Boundary Hut Rebuilt with track improvement to that trail leading off Panorama.Pneumatic drills ,explosives etc to make a decent ski trail through the granite intrusives!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass