Snow Report Lake Mountain 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
WOW! And MANY Thanks For Sharing
So WISH it would Snow like that here!
But With All the Volcanoes putting stuff up in the atmosphere, Who Knows what Winter 21 will be like.....
Thanks for taking an interest in my out of season ski trips. I am frothing for more XC ski days like that soon !.
See the full trip report with many photos from 16.5.21 in the LM trip report thread.
Trip Report - Lake Mtn. XC ski day . May 16th 2021

Reactions: Equus

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Steady on! The resort has no responsibility outside the declared winter season, which starts this year on June 12. Until then, they don't have staff sitting around waiting to do something. They run on a skeleton staff in summer and hire seasonal workers for the winter.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Steady on! The resort has no responsibility outside the declared winter season, which starts this year on June 12. Until then, they don't have staff sitting around waiting to do something. They run on a skeleton staff in summer and hire seasonal workers for the winter.

I am aware of this matter but one does make comments and observations about what happens up there when there is skiable snow outside of the declared white season. The best thing to do is take your own lunch and thermos of hot tea , carry your own chains and snow shovel and drive carefully and defensively . Plus park close to the LM village buildings , away from the terrible drivers who are losing control of their cars on the icy surface of the car park.

Yes , there is no ski patrol outside of the declared ski season so whatever happens out on the ski trails is one's own problem.
I had a crash while XC skiing on 16/4/21 but my knee is better now so I got off lightly. I always wear a helmet , carry a charged up mobile ph. and an emergency bivvy bag made of space blanket material so I can keep warm until help arrives should I require it.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Yes...it’s the Wild West till they can charge entry fees!Then it’s the hit or miss approach of managing a small area that becomes too complicated for them everytime we get five inches of snow?Might work better if the DSE Marysville had more of a role to play??

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
I am aware of this matter but one does make comments and observations about what happens up there when there is skiable snow outside of the declared white season. The best thing to do is take your own lunch and thermos of hot tea , carry your own chains and snow shovel and drive carefully and defensively . Plus park close to the LM village buildings , away from the terrible drivers who are losing control of their cars on the icy surface of the car park.

Yes , there is no ski patrol outside of the declared ski season so whatever happens out on the ski trails is one's own problem.
I had a crash on 16/4/21 but my knee is better now so I got off lightly. I always wear a helmet , carry a charged up mobile ph. and an emergency bivvy bag made of space blanket material so I can keep warm until help arrives should I require it.
Crashing outside resort gazetted season is very naughty.You should have got a letter of reproach from authorities!

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I got a light chastising for having a snowboard as an adult when I was at Lake Mtn with my kid - but I just said that I wouldn't bring it in season, and figured it would be fine then because we were so far out from the season proper.

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Hi all, looks like a bit of snow is on the way!

Do any locals know if there might be enough for cross country ski/rock hopping this weekend 29th/30th May? Or at any other Victorian ski fields?

Cheers!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Hi all, looks like a bit of snow is on the way!

Do any locals know if there might be enough for cross country ski/rock hopping this weekend 29th/30th May? Or at any other Victorian ski fields?

Cheers!
Lake Mountain snow forecast by Meteorologist Jane Bunn
Lake Mountain Forecast (bom.gov.au)
No, Too warm , too wet. maybe Baw Baw but even then BB looks more like rock than hopping. Maybe Mt. Loch Car park to Red Robin Gap could be a marginal Rock hopper BC XC ski day but I would wait for better cover.
Mt Hotham snow forecast by Meteorologist Jane Bunn

Reactions: Sweefu

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Lake Mountain snow forecast by Meteorologist Jane Bunn
Lake Mountain Forecast (bom.gov.au)
No, Too warm , too wet. maybe Baw Baw but even then BB looks more like rock than hopping. Maybe Mt. Loch Car park to Red Robin Gap could be a marginal Rock hopper BC XC ski day but I would wait for better cover.
Mt Hotham snow forecast by Meteorologist Jane Bunn
Thanks for the info!

This weekend will be my only chance for snow until 3rd July (still early in the season, I know) if I wanted to give it a shot anyway would Hotham/Mt Loch be the best bet?

Cheers

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Thanks for the info!

This weekend will be my only chance for snow until 3rd July (still early in the season, I know) if I wanted to give it a shot anyway would Hotham/Mt Loch be the best bet?

Cheers
Look at the snow cameras for Hotham and check the BOM and Ms. Bunn's forecasts. This low pressure system is a dud for snow. You should have been XC skiing with me on May 16th. See the Lake Mtn. Trip report from that day.
Parts of the Bogong High Plains near pole 333 and the upper section of Swindler's spur as far as Derrick's hut had calf deep snow last week according to a bushwalker's trip report on the Bushwalking web site but it has been sunny recently and the snow may have melted.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
mix of R**n, sleet and snow here at Buller last couple of days, just a dusting on the ground, almost none left from last weeks fall. Should snow some more later tonight, but will not amount to much. Don't expect there are any ski op's in the next week.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I see LM, BB, Mt. Stirling , Dinner Plain and Falls Creek all got a dusting of snow overnight but with this Level 4 lockdown thankfully no decent XC skiing or surfing options are occurring or being missed out on while we Mexicans are all being ordered to stay at home .

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Well the ground is getting colder and colder....next frontal system will deliver....note Melbs overnight temp.
Shaping up for a very cold winter.
Oops!Possible temperature inversions at work.....looks like Lake Mt and Buller stayed above zero last night.....Melb probably colder!
Weather a bit more complex than I thought!:whistle:

we expected temps to minus four at least ....but not so.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Well the ground is getting colder and colder....next frontal system will deliver....note Melbs overnight temp.
Shaping up for a very cold winter.
Oops!Possible temperature inversions at work.....looks like Lake Mt and Buller stayed above zero last night.....Melb probably colder!
Weather a bit more complex than I thought!:whistle:

we expected temps to minus four at least ....but not so.
Big inversions in play today.

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
In the meantime, looking nice:
1623110696899.png

P.S. Chains required today. But my shop is shut. Second last day of freedom (except I have to have blood taken) before 4 months of 7 days a week, 14 hours a day. So, no chains for hire in the region today unless you contact me personally.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
LM is looking XC ski able :) . 15 cms + !!! The back way through Keppel's hut up to the Hut Loop is still there!. Have they closed the Gate at the junction w. Lady Talbot drive & Mt. Margaret Gap yet?
If there is enough snow then you can rock hopper ski your way to Keppel's hut and onto the Hut Loop at LM. Start early , it is a fair way to ski/skin or walk.
The weather looks like tomorrow is the Nordic ski day .After that it will R**N and the snow cover will be damaged and poorly affected just we
Lockdown -i-stanis
are being
punished!
:-(
In a perfect, saner, kinder cosmos i.e. NSW ;-P I would be skiing up there tomorrow ,without fail !
@beefa skiing would be keen too.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
It is tempting to drive up to Mt. Margaret Gap before dawn. Chain sawing through fallen timber in the dark in r**n and sleet is a disincentive.
The fuzz may intercept you?What is the penalty for making a snow man .Do kids get a community order?

snow fall may all but negate the possible aerosol spread outside.Only thing you could catch at Mt Margaret would be hypothermia!
Lake Mt seem to be run by Facists!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
In the meantime, looking nice:
1623110696899.png

P.S. Chains required today. But my shop is shut. Second last day of freedom (except I have to have blood taken) before 4 months of 7 days a week, 14 hours a day. So, no chains for hire in the region today unless you contact me personally.
Appoint Mr T as a career....he will come and attend to business ‍!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Appoint Mr T as a career....he will come and attend to business ‍!
I do what I can to promote LM as a good place to XC ski and walk. I will watch with interest whether LM will get the big scary machine groomer out this season or just let it rust in the shed while they throw all their energies at the snow play market.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
The state of Victoria is being run by Gold Standard Numpties who hate healthy outdoor fun and fitness based activities such as Nordic Skiing!!!
This is overblown rubbish, Mr T. as is the reckless comment about "fascists" which you appear to endorse. North Korea and China are run by fascists, as you well know. We have a healthy democracy, imperfect as it might be, which allows an opposition voice to challenge the government's policy. That is a good thing. You are allowed to express an alternative pov (flawed though it might be), without being detained, interrogated, your family threatened, sent to a "retraining camp". You know this and are allowing frustration to warp your opinions. The Victorian government is trying to limit the spread of a potentially deadly and debilitating disease. Its policies can be questioned but no reasonable alternative strategy has been proposed. Regular adherents of publications like the 'H.... S..' are indoctrinated with toxic anti-government propaganda and seek to blame Andrews/Merlino gov't for difficult decisions made with the best interests of the population in mind. LM management is just following government policy. Decisions about grooming are made by their European snow operations manager, I believe.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
This is overblown rubbish, Mr T. as is the reckless comment about "fascists" which you appear to endorse. North Korea and China are run by fascists, as you well know. We have a healthy democracy, imperfect as it might be, which allows an opposition voice to challenge the government's policy. That is a good thing. You are allowed to express an alternative pov (flawed though it might be), without being detained, interrogated, your family threatened, sent to a "retraining camp". You know this and are allowing frustration to warp your opinions. The Victorian government is trying to limit the spread of a potentially deadly and debilitating disease. Its policies can be questioned but no reasonable alternative strategy has been proposed. Regular adherents of publications like the 'Herald Sun' are indoctrinated with toxic anti-government propaganda and seek to blame Andrews/Merlino gov't for difficult decisions made with the best interests of the population in mind. LM management is just following orders.
Yep it's pretty friggin tired commentary. And it has no place in a public resort obs thread.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
This is overblown rubbish, Mr T. as is the reckless comment about "fascists" which you appear to endorse. North Korea and China are run by fascists, as you well know. We have a healthy democracy, imperfect as it might be, which allows an opposition voice to challenge the government's policy. That is a good thing. You are allowed to express an alternative pov (flawed though it might be), without being detained, interrogated, your family threatened, sent to a "retraining camp". You know this and are allowing frustration to warp your opinions. The Victorian government is trying to limit the spread of a potentially deadly and debilitating disease. Its policies can be questioned but no reasonable alternative strategy has been proposed. Regular adherents of publications like the 'Herald Sun' are indoctrinated with toxic anti-government propaganda and seek to blame Andrews/Merlino gov't for difficult decisions made with the best interests of the population in mind. LM management is just following orders.
Don't forget Turkmenistan if you are listing countries where they have curfews and police rounding up dissidents.
I am contrite and I have removed my comment as unsuitable for this thread. ;-P . Back to the real Topic: Lake Mountain looks good for XC skiing tomorrow!

Reactions: teckel

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I had to go to Melbourne today. Be warned - not much traffic on the road, but it was crawling with cop cars/motorbikes etc.

10 to a penny - someone will try their luck. There’ll be tears and a big fine.

Sad to say, if forecasts are accurate, there won’t be much cover left. Let’s hope this warm hose-pipe stays off shore or dissipates fast.

Rallyboy on snow

Early Days
Jun 5, 2021
I want to take a look up at Mt Margaret
today and check out the conditions, anyone up for a trip other than my
chainsaw?

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Sorry not Lake Mountain related - has it ever been possible to XC ski around Mt Donna Buang or Toolebewong area? Or just highly unlikely given the elevation?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Sorry not Lake Mountain related - has it ever been possible to XC ski around Mt Donna Buang or Toolebewong area? Or just highly unlikely given the elevation?
People have rock hopper XC skied at Mt. DB, Mt. Margaret etc. after a monster South Pole cold front has done its thing.. Don't take your good planks, take wheel chains and a chain saw. Watch out for Deer! .
TBQH LM looks the goods for XC skiing :ski: and if you are from outside of the Metro plague zone the you will be permitted to XC ski there for free , no gate fee today.
The foot route up via Snowy Hill track from Camberville on the Marysville to Woods Pt. road offers another chance to " see snow" if XC skiing is not your craze.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

There's also a who thread on Donna Buang: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/donna-buang-victoria.73982/

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Thanks all, didn't realise there was a Donna Buang thread!

I'm in metro (although Yarra Ranges council area) which is why I'm curious about any snow options within the 25km limit, seems likely to be announced from this weekend.

Sorry - back on Lake Mountain topic

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Thanks all, didn't realise there was a Donna Buang thread!

I'm in metro (although Yarra Ranges council area) which is why I'm curious about any snow options within the 25km limit, seems likely to be announced from this weekend.

Sorry - back on Lake Mountain topic
Just like last time the 25 km rule will remain for a month at least , which is bad for Metro confined skiers and regional ski related businesses !
:-( .

Last edited:

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
What will be the cost to Lake Mt Revenue if this ban on travel to regional areas continues?Anybody like to put a figure on it?Brett did say as this mornings press briefing you are 20times safer outside from contracting .:eek::eek: covid!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
What will be the cost to Lake Mt Revenue if this ban on travel to regional areas continues?Anybody like to put a figure on it?Brett did say as this mornings press briefing you are 20times safer outside from contracting .:eek::eek: covid!
The Lockdown -i-stan Govt. have hinted that the 25 km rule may be relaxed within 2 weeks. I may yet get to utilize my ski accommodation in Aug. and Sept. but the indoor density limits may hose that down that hope and BC XC ski action and snow camping may become the only options.
I suspect the grand wizards of the Vic. Ski Industry have been on the phone to The Lockdown-i-stan Acting Premier and told him what they really think, in no uncertain terms!

Last edited:
Reactions: snowgum

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Lake Mt has not put up a snow report on its site...snow depth zero??

Hard to see any activity in carpark on the cam.Resort Status is open.
Is road closed due to blizzard like conditions?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The fresh snow is piling up. Not skiing
lakemountain-fun-park 9.6.21 afternoon..jpg
on it is a travesty. I can only take so much FOMO!
:-(
No one is up there. The LM road today is set to all vehicles must fit chains status. No sign of grooming this to get a base going for skating and classic XC skiing. The machine groomer is sitting idle in this photo. Today would be the day to ski. Fresh , cold and dry I would guess would be the snow conditions.

Reactions: Equus

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Lake Mt has not put up a snow report on its site...snow depth zero??

Hard to see any activity in carpark on the cam.Resort Status is open.
Is road closed due to blizzard like conditions?
Ski Trail cameras show sunny green season vistas. XC Skiing is not on the LM radar anymore IMHO. The snow play crowd will appear on the weekend. Imagine if this was happening outside of Lockdown. The car park would be full by now unless they close the road. They do that quite often when it snows ,esp. since 2018 . They see 5 cms of snow and have a brown trousers moment.

Last edited:

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Well I don’t won’t to be too critical!But unless I am mismanaging the iPad I see no snow report and I cannot see any cars and I would have thought that means road may be closed?Oh ...some cars there now!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass