Snow Report Lake Mountain 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Temp is up , ouch :rolleyes:
That is why when it snows up there i.e 15 cms, you go early the next day and be on skis by 0730 am. By Noon the temperature can rise enough to change the skiing conditions in a deleterious way. Beat the crowds, get fresh tracks and ski 10 +km in one morning.
Anyway during the declared XC ski season Mt. Stirling dare I say it , always update their snow conditions/ ski trail report daily unlike LM.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Bear update!
167B43CE-527F-4078-8CBD-163F34207F2E.png

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I honestly don’t think there’ll be much snow left to ski on by the weekend. Very disappointing for keen skiers out of the Melbourne region! :(
My friend in Bacchus Marsh emailed me today and told me his Mrs. wants to go to LM to "See snow" this weekend.
I said don't bother this weekend.
How do you convince people to give XC skiing a try ? , people who don't go camping or cycling or surfing or visit the Vic. Alps in summer for bushwalking etc..
I suppose that is what LM has become. The place where people go to "see snow" ......
and slide off the road in their cars.
It keeps the XC ski trails nice and empty :) .

The next cold front looks like appearing on June 19th.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
My friend in Bacchus Marsh emailed me today and told me his Mrs. wants to go to LM to "See snow" this weekend.
How do you convince people to give XC skiing a try ? , people who don't go camping or cycling or surfing or visit the Vic. Alps in summer for bushwalking etc..
I suppose that is what LM has become. The place where people go to "see snow" ......

The next cold front looks like appearing on June 20th.

Since my year #1 in 85’, LM has always been more marginal for skiing than the other resorts.

That said, it does feel to me it’s ‘less reliable’ than my early ski years - one has to be careful with ‘old’ memories. One darts up for a day after a dump, then waits a week or two for the next dump/major top up. It’s frustrating but that’s skiing at low altitude Vic resorts? Next one? ;)

NSW seems very lucky by comparison - even its lower altitudes seem to escape the worst of these warm-soup feasts! :oops:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Since my year #1 in 85’, LM has always been more marginal for skiing than the other resorts.

That said, it does feel to me it’s ‘less reliable’ than my early ski years - one has to be careful with ‘old’ memories. One darts up for a day after a dump, then waits a week or two for the next dump/major top up. It’s frustrating but that’s skiing at low altitude Vic resorts? Next one? ;)

NSW seems very lucky by comparison - even its lower altitudes seem to escape the worst of these warm-soup feasts! :oops:
That is exactly how LM works for XC skiers. If it snows then you go the next day and go early.
Places such as JB Plain and JB Hut have better snowfalls that do not melt as quickly. I have yet to XC ski at Perisher Nordic centre when it has full cover. That would be in August I assume.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au

The next cold front looks like appearing on June 20th.
Tell them to introduce themselves when they hire their gear ;)

Reactions: snowgum

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
If the BlackSpur has no fallen trees it will be remarkable!Reports of big power outages in that Dandenong Ranges and adjacent suburbs.Obviously a lot of fallen trees all over!

euexp

Hard Yards
Aug 5, 2017

Major road closures​

The Great Alpine Road has been closed between Bruthen and Ensay due to the rain sparking a risk of a landslide and drivers have been urged to detour via Dargo and avoid unnecessary travel.

The Black Spur between Healesville and Narbethong is inaccessible with trees across the road.

Flooding has blocked the Princes Highway in Lindenow South and police are directing traffic.

The Moorooduc Highway is closed southbound at Bentons Road to Craigie Road due to a big fallen tree.

The Maroondah Highway is closed to all traffic between Narbethong and Healesville due to the weather and fallen trees have shut Bass Valley Road in Loch.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
It's one way of keeping Melbourne people away. Closing the Spur.
In the meantime, their estimated time to restore power to Narby is Sunday afternoon. A long time to go without flushing the toilet, having a shower, having any heating, or lighting, or even getting the shop ready for the ski season

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
yeah, I just run cables to the stuff I need. It is good insurance for me, lost time without power makes it worth it. Altough I did have to replace the carburetor recently. I guess it is over 20 year old now, so $20 for a repair okay.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Screwed from the start really - time to start again, T? It’s only QB - almost.
We were not allowed to ski on it yesterday morning so if us Melbourne people and rusted on LM XC ski types are not allowed out to enjoy skiing on the fresh snow at LM then the head curmudgeon says no one will be permitted the chance to enjoy it.
;-P

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Teckel may get stuck at one end or the other!
My friend and I had to detour back via the road that connects Yea and Bonnie Doon to get back to Melbourne via Whittlesea from a big day of XC skiing in August at LM in 2019. The Black Spur road/Maroondah Highway was blocked by a nuff nuff who 'd lost control of their car on that road .The traffic jam was very long . It was icy and snowing to low levels that day.

Last edited:

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Careful. That might have been the day someone was killed in their car by a falling tree. I was stopped by police at Fernshaw. Husband and child were still in the car. The police looked shaken, a difficult day on the job. I turned back and took my o/s guests to the sanctuary and Healesville Hotel. Made something of the day.

• Sad
Reactions: Chaeron and nezumi

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Careful. That might have been the day someone was killed in their car by a falling tree. I was stopped by police at Fernshaw. Husband and child were still in the car. The police looked shaken, a difficult day on the job. I turned back and took my o/s guests to the sanctuary and Healesville Hotel. Made something of the day.
No. That was a different day. I know what you are talking about and it was certainly not that day when that rather unfortunate accident with the falling tree took place. It was possibly a week or two later.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
It's one way of keeping Melbourne people away. Closing the Spur.
In the meantime, their estimated time to restore power to Narby is Sunday afternoon. A long time to go without flushing the toilet, having a shower, having any heating, or lighting, or even getting the shop ready for the ski season
Install wood stove like Hammi!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Observing the snow in the afternoon is ......Verbotten by order of the Regime Commander!

Heil the Chief Health Officer! :whistle: ;);)

All patrons without the online booking paperwork will be redirected to the Igloo Buxton for reeducation purposes .
Then released to Mt Margaret for further field indoctrination.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
I am so over this pandemic. Lost the whole of last winter, and also this winter so far. Compounded by the closure of the Black Spur because of the storm. It's still closed. They're talking continued closure until Friday. :( It means there is zero passing traffic by my shop. Not even regional traffic from the peninsula or Geelong. It's just not bloody fair.
Could have a game of cricket on the Maroondah Hwy, and only have to move the stumps a couple of times a day to let trucks through that are carrying tree debris.

EquatorBunny

Addicted
May 30, 2011
Melbourne
Sounds like it's no go for this weekend for LM then?
Not enough snow... Covid restrictions... pre-book tickets... road closed/tree debris... :cry:

Any tea leave readers who can share their views?

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
The road from Healesville to Narbethong may be open as early as Friday, but I feel that may be a little optimistic. It the meantime,they'll have to go via Yea and Alexandra to get to the mountain.
Melbourne people going up this weekend should also be aware they need a negative covid test less than 3 days before going for all members of the party over the age of 2.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Kids love BBQ,s .....Park at Buxton requires no covid test or fee!Kids can examine the huge redwoods at Fernshaw and check out Teckels shop on the way!But better watch for those patriots running around the forest in Cathedral Ranges!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Sounds like it's no go for this weekend for LM then?
Not enough snow... Covid restrictions... pre-book tickets... road closed/tree debris... :cry:

Any tea leave readers who can share their views?
Falls and Hotham as well as Perisher all have fair to poor to marginal XC ski conditions at present according to their XC ski trail reports online. We are still in June. The big snow fall that will set up the higher XC ski locations has yet to arrive. I suspect it may come at the end of this month.
However my friend in Myrtleford did XC ski from Windy Corner to Mt. Mckay and back on the weekend and she said it was thin and wet snow cover but not too bad up near the Ruined castle area.

LM last had good cover for XC skiing on June 9th 2021 while were all locked down tight.

I will have get a CV 19 test soon for my trip up to the Ovens valley for skiing , which is set for July 2-7th.

So @EquatorBunny LM is a no go for XC skiing this weekend and the snow forecast and overall surrounding circumstances that make a visit up there easy will not improve by this Sunday.

I am cycling and swimming a lot to build up my XC ski fitness. It is not the same as XC skiing but it is something.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Yes well.....Bit of a problem with their snow cams?Back to the future ??Fast difference in local weather conditions??

D429046F-ABC8-4ED0-A4BE-FF5024CFBA0A.png

60622118-3E59-429A-BBAC-992710C1F330.png

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Kids are going to see through this ploy very quickly .They might seek revenge for being dragged along after a loathsome covid test only to experience Mizzle and a tennis court of snow for their trouble!Lets see how long it takes to update this prior to the weekend.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Kids are going to see through this ploy very quickly .They might seek revenge for being dragged along after a loathsome covid test only to experience Mizzle and a tennis court of snow for their trouble!Lets see how long it takes to update this prior to the weekend.
Yes, this covid test thing is ridiculous and so over the top. BUT
Just because you don't do snow play is no reason to discourage those who love it. They're the ones who pay for the resort and its operations including grooming, ski patrol etc. And it's not a tennis court - it's lots and lots of tennis courts. The snow is great at the moment and there's no crowds - a great time to get up there and enjoy the tobogganing and snow play.

Reactions: djam

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Yes, this covid test thing is ridiculous and so over the top. BUT
Just because you don't do snow play is no reason to discourage those who love it. They're the ones who pay for the resort and its operations including grooming, ski patrol etc. And it's not a tennis court - it's lots and lots of tennis courts. The snow is great at the moment and there's no crowds - a great time to get up there and enjoy the tobogganing and snow play.
Yes, do realize that LM and its prime
raison d'être
is now aimed squarely at the snow play market but this latest CV19 test requirement is an impost that will turn off/ turn away casual snow play / Slurpee strip play visitors
whereas us rusted on mad keen Nordic skiers will find a way to ski somewhere , anywhere !....even if it kills us, having two CV19 tests per week .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass