Snow Report Lake Mountain 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
We might need to strap a GoPro to a husky and send them out on a track recce before too long!

EquatorBunny

Addicted
May 30, 2011
Melbourne
Team EB was up there today. On a Monday!! :woohoo:
The snow is skiable from the groomer's workshop but patchy and very wet. Slushie up to Heli Flat. Seemed to get better as we went up higher. Silly us - We had skates on, rather than classic so did not go further than The Camp. :nono: Defo a day for rockhoppers.
Hoping that the rain doesn't come too much. We probably need another snow top up soon. ;)
Did I talk to any of you? I was too giddy on the snow, after 18 months!!!

luke2059823

First Runs
Jul 6, 2021
I was there as part of Team EB. We committed to go weather or not there was enough snow to ski on. There was no snow report for the day, and the previous day report lacked detail. At least there was a photo of helicopter flat on the website which gave some hope, but I was expecting it to rain overnight.

The sign at the base said trains closed, and the trails where fenced off, but although there was a bare minimum of snow at the base, it worth a try. Checked and double checked with the staff to make sure they where ok with us going up, but we where encouraged and they where curious to know what it was like.

It was surprisingly good. I've done much worse. It was wet at the bottom, but had crusted over a bit higher up, which made it a bit of a challenge on skates. It would have actually been easier to skate on if there was less snow. Rather then going on a bigger adventure, I just went up and down a bit of the hill between the camp and helicopter flat for a long time, until I flattened out the snow and made it easy to skate on.

On the way back, things where already getting a lot soggier, ski trails and foot prints where turning to puddles, and the snow at the bottom was starting to disappear. It all felt extremely slow after skiing on my nicely compacted section.

Anyway, there was enough snow to ski on, so it was a win for me. Might still be a bit around, but probably probably very patchy now if there is.

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

elray

Hard Yards
Jul 11, 2008
snow still holding in up high.

20210709_095510.jpg

20210709_095530.jpg

20210709_100635.jpg

20210709_100638.jpg

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
But send us more pictures please.Take your thermos and sandwiches out there and beam us pictures or videos.We are freaking out stuck in metro melb with only a bit of shopping for entertainment!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com

The snow cam.s for the trails are now working even though the resort is shut due to Lockdown No. 5. This is a start. I can see the upper trails at The Gap and Triangle Junction have a skiable amount of ungroomed snow. If it hangs in there then I would imagine the BC XC classic PB rock hoppers would be a better idea than skating skis. The LM resort seems to be less about Nordic skiing as each year goes by. The Team Leader and his Boundary track to reach Keppel's hut and the skin up track up to The Ski trails offer an adventure alternative at a lower cost.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
LM is reporting 10-15 cms of fresh ungroomed snow on their Nordic ski trails. This is the latest visual evidence to support that theory.
0930 21.7.21.
It looks fresh , dry and skiable!!.
A Keppel's hut BC snow camp and BC ski trip via the Boundary track would be ideal this coming weekend but No , even if you are fully vaccinated you have to stay at home under Lockdown No. 5.
:-(

1626825630376.png
1626825630376.png

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I'd say today is the day to XC ski at LM.
lakemountain-resort-trail-head 21.7.21.jpg

Another chance lost to lockdowns. Another day we grow older and are not skiing.
I will have to take 3 months off when world travel resumes and just ski every day in Japan or Canada or somewhere to make up for all of this lost XC skiing!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Bears would like the snow base to build so folk can savour Boundary Track trail.Unfortunately at around 1300m Approx the snow will not last long before rain degrades it.Hopefully somebody will get to ski this and supply the forum with pictures.Let’s hope the 5km rule is dropped next Tuesday evening.

Most of us understand the need to be vigilant with covid .....but small groups of backcountry users are not going to realistically spread covid....covid vaxes(tick). Social distancing(tick)......minimal interactions unlike football and pub gatherings.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Bears would like the snow base to build so folk can savour Boundary Track trail.Unfortunately at around 1300m Approx the snow will not last long before rain degrades it.Hopefully somebody will get to ski this and supply the forum with pictures.Let’s hope the 5km rule is dropped next Tuesday evening.

Most of us understand the need to be vigilant with covid .....but small groups of backcountry users are not going to realistically spread covid....covid vaxes(tick). Social distancing(tick)......minimal interactions unlike football and pub gatherings.
The Boundary track sits at approximately 1200 M. ASL. It all about the timing the generous snow fall for a BC XC ski access trip to Keppel's hut. Keppel's hut is at 1300 M. and has snow drifts even into early October, as I saw one year on a walking trip with @Carola .
We have been chatting about this route for seemingly a few years now and the Team Leader has done much to open it up and promote it as a white season locked gate access route to Keppel's hut and LM , but it has not happened, yet AFAIK.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
What is the best way to access the hut at the moment? Perhaps by hiking/skiing Boundary track? I went up to Mt Margaret a couple of weeks ago but (of course) the Lady Talbot Drive access was locked at the top gate. Is it possible to drive close to the hut? If this is restricted info, maybe pm might be more discrete.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
What is the best way to access the hut at the moment? Perhaps by hiking/skiing Boundary track? I went up to Mt Margaret a couple of weeks ago but (of course) the Lady Talbot Drive access was locked at the top gate. Is it possible to drive close to the hut? If this is restricted info, maybe pm might be more discrete.
@chriscross. PM sent with Full details on the shortest BC XC ski / trek route to Keppel's hut and LM.
:)

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Fastest way in is probably via Lake Mt.when it’s open again........ski up Royston Rd about 4km to Triangle Junction then along ski trail out towards Boundary Hut Ruin....pick up signage at head of Keppels Foot Trail just before Boundary Hut Ruin Loop.This is probably the fastest way in there.Some of it walking where the walking track steepens....but you are going downhill so it’s pretty easy stuff.Probably leave skis before track steepens if you are coming back that way.

I have no idea how Lake Mt charges you....if you request to be parked up there overnight.
Once you are at the signage telling of remote area/skilled navigation required etc etc.then you have about one hour of travel ahead of you as you push down hill through the snow covering.You are either on that track or you are in wild bush.....it should be easy to follow even in heavy snow.

But entry via Mt Margaret would be the other vehicle access to the highest point at Greenhill /Boundary Trail on the Mt Margaret Rd.....Rd in good condition with gentle incline but 4x4 is best from Mt MGap up the last climb in heavy snowfall.
Boundary trail(management track with locked gate) was clear of all fallen timber as of ??2 weekends ago!
The other route from Mt M Gap via Lady Talbot Dve(management Rd...gate locked)has fallen timber that you will have to clamber over according to walkers I saw two weeks ago.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Lower end(Marysville end) of LTDve has a locked Mgt Gate on it .I would expect fallen timber over it....it was drivable for a short period before winter set in even in standard low clearance sedan(so I hear!!)but maybe it could also be used on an E bike but expect to negotiate a few fallen trees.It’s upper section will have snow before the (middle management gate.)where it turns on to the Keppels 4x4Track.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Marysville to Keppel's hut route via LT drive was littered with Fallen trees when I last went up to scout it out in March 2021. I cut my way in with a chainsaw until I was confronted with a BIG window maker tree blocking the route half way along and simply turned the Tee Mobile around.
IMHO that track is 4 X 4 standard only. I was fine in AWD with AT tyres. The ability of the driver also makes a difference when driving off the sealed roads.

Last edited:

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Mt Margaret Rd is of very good quality and is well drained.It gets a bit of traffic as folk like to head up for a play in the snow.Trees can still fall on the route but help is normally going to arrive with a big off roader carrying a chainsaw or two.
The DSE also seem to take an interest in clearing snow up to Greenhill/Boundary Track Junctions..

It’s probably safer up there even after a heavy fall of snow as less crazy drivers seem to head along there.

The owner of the Igloo”Hammi”has been briefed on all aspects of Team Bears Operations.He also can produce a map to advice you.He has also been taken up to Keppels Hut and has seen the the start of walking track upto Lake Mt.

Teckel in Narbethong also is across operations in the area...

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Even the lower trails look ready for Plank action. You'd think they would groom them with the machine groomer and pack it down to create a lasting base. However XC skiing and all that goes with it is not on the LM resort management radar so much these days. Bring Back Alan Eason !!. He would demand to have some grooming.
1626950424566.png
1626950424566.png

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

euexp

Hard Yards
Aug 5, 2017
Even the lower trails look ready for Plank action. You'd think they would groom them with the machine groomer and pack it down to create a lasting base. However XC skiing and all that goes with it is not on the LM resort management radar so much these days. Bring Back Alan Eason !!. He would demand to have some grooming.
1626950424566.png
1626950424566.png
It is not possible to groom with less than 30cm of snow , especially on a terrain like in LM.

General Operating Guidelines How Much Snow is Required to Start Grooming Operations? The amount of snow depth required to begin grooming operations will vary by area and is affected by the type of terrain and by the type of snow. Remember that it requires a lot more snow to safely and effectively operate a groomer than it does to operate a snowmobile. And it can be a good thing to let snowmobiles run on the snow first before you start grooming operations because it starts the de-aeration and compression process. Generally, at least 8 to 12 inches (20 to 30 centimeters) of wet snow on smooth terrain like a road is enough to begin grooming operations. However, if the snow is drier, or if the terrain is rough or uneven, at least 12 to 18 inches (30 to 45 centimeters) of snow (or more) may be required to safely begin effective grooming operations.

Also temperature is very important.

Reactions: teckel

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
It is not possible to groom with less than 30cm of snow , especially on a terrain like in LM.

General Operating Guidelines How Much Snow is Required to Start Grooming Operations? The amount of snow depth required to begin grooming operations will vary by area and is affected by the type of terrain and by the type of snow. Remember that it requires a lot more snow to safely and effectively operate a groomer than it does to operate a snowmobile. And it can be a good thing to let snowmobiles run on the snow first before you start grooming operations because it starts the de-aeration and compression process. Generally, at least 8 to 12 inches (20 to 30 centimeters) of wet snow on smooth terrain like a road is enough to begin grooming operations. However, if the snow is drier, or if the terrain is rough or uneven, at least 12 to 18 inches (30 to 45 centimeters) of snow (or more) may be required to safely begin effective grooming operations.

Also temperature is very important.
I have seen LM staff grooming their XC ski trails with a skidoo groomer with just 20 cms or less on the ground and I have seen the chook footer grooves and the corduroy for skating being punched into the tracks by the Machine groomer with 25 cms of snow on the ground at the most.
LM is close to Melb. which is its best attraction to the mad keen Nordic skier but does not usually hold snow very well because of it low elevation. When it does has good cover it has some good XC ski trails with some interesting curving dips to ski down and up esp. on the Blue and Black rated trails e.g. On the Jubilee trail .
:)
The LM web site is reporting 30-40 cm s of Natural snow cover on the XC ski trails!!!. So My idea that grooming it properly is not misinformed or far fetched. It will reinforce the snow cover ,esp. should there be some unwanted R*** coming soon.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Update from mountain. Staff have been out on trails cutting trees, filling holes and most trails have been groomed by skidoo / groomer. Building a nice compacted base.
And that is exactly what we need the mountain to be doing - building the base, rather than grooming it for the skiers when there are no skiers other than resort employees. And what a job that must be this winter!! I'm green with jealousy.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Let the huskies run on it and they will do the job of compression!

A month ago...probably more...

Bears did take instruments of a cutting nature around the Boundary Hut Ruin Loop after completing a trip up the walking track from Keppels Hut.A few obstacles where encountered and delt with.We doubt they have had crews around there!

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
OK.
Good new and bad news.
Good news. Visitors are allowed to alpine resorts from midnight if they've had a negative covid test within the last 72 hours.
The bad news? Lake Mountain will not be open tomorrow (Wednesday) as all staff have to go and get tested.
Fingers crossed that all goes well for a Thursday opening.

elray

Hard Yards
Jul 11, 2008
Update from the mountain. good skiing on good base with fresh / slow snow on top. Weather is a mix of rain and snow up high.

camp.jpg

helicopter.jpg

snowgauge.jpg

triangle.jpg

• Love
Reactions: teckel

elray

Hard Yards
Jul 11, 2008
Skidoo groomed today Echo, Woollybut, Snowgum and upper/lower Muster. Hopefully will do the same tomorrow if it cold in the morning.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Well worth a visit today. Even after a covid test and on-line booking make a spontaneous ski day that much harder. The grooming made a difference ( on skating skis) but that first 500 m is still a challenge when you haven't been on the skaters for almost 2 years. Not much at the gym really prepares you for that, although single leg balance exercises help. I warmed up quickly and started to get some stride/flow happening. Thought I was reasonably fit (having started running some hills again) but I still had to stop for breathing breaks on some climbs (as the young smarties glide past). Woollybutt was in good nick, Echo a little more chopped up with some brown patches showing in the afternoon. Upper Royston rd and upper Muster were really good but my thigh muscles started to complain and I headed back down for lunch via echo, the camp and snowgum trail as the surface softened up. Met a mature gent coming up who revealed he was 77 and still skiing, so an example to us all. I fear r**n will not be kind to the trails but it was great to get up there. Some happy skiers about.

Reactions: elray

RTL

Hard Yards
May 19, 2016
Well worth a visit today. Even after a covid test and on-line booking make a spontaneous ski day that much harder. The grooming made a difference ( on skating skis) but that first 500 m is still a challenge when you haven't been on the skaters for almost 2 years. Not much at the gym really prepares you for that, although single leg balance exercises help. I warmed up quickly and started to get some stride/flow happening. Thought I was reasonably fit (having started running some hills again) but I still had to stop for breathing breaks on some climbs (as the young smarties glide past). Woollybutt was in good nick, Echo a little more chopped up with some brown patches showing in the afternoon. Upper Royston rd and upper Muster were really good but my thigh muscles started to complain and I headed back down for lunch via echo, the camp and snowgum trail as the surface softened up. Met a mature gent coming up who revealed he was 77 and still skiing, so an example to us all. I fear r**n will not be kind to the trails but it was great to get up there. Some happy skiers about.
Great report.Too bad it is booked out this weekend and next weekend

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass