Snow Report Lake Mountain 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Yes....strange activity being attempted in kid central .

617AAD1D-9A79-45F7-B266-AEEB4531E577.png

27560E21-1847-43F4-945E-FCF2FFA86B17.png

3FF9B725-24FB-490E-AFDC-39EEFAC2DE0C.png

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Has Teckel got a supply of gum boots to rent out?And umbrellas ☂.
We really need to get all the earth that has been removed by Stairman's Dan's Big Build projects , tunnels and new freeways and stack it all up on LM to make it all 200 M. higher in elevation!. That would improve the chances of real snow falling and settling.

Reactions: TeleXC

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Hows the snow base? I am thinking of doing a silly mandatory test tomorrow with the aim of getting the result back in time for Sat/Sun day trip… as if day trips weren’t hard enough already… Will it stay good until then?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Hows the snow base? I am thinking of doing a silly mandatory test tomorrow with the aim of getting the result back in time for Sat/Sun day trip… as if day trips weren’t hard enough already… Will it stay good until then?
I am getting a plague test on Sat. and looking at XC skiing three days back to back at Falls Ck. . ,
Mon to Wed. next week , camping at Mountain Creek , Tawonga as a base.

Lake Mtn. , IMHO must have a fresh dump of snow for me to froth about it.

At Present Mt. Stirling would make a lot more sense for a day trip IMHO .
They have V.G . snow and trails for all levels of ability.
They have groomed the whole hill.
You can camp at Sheep yard flat afterwards and have a log fire if you go on Sat... Carter's road camp site is shut for Earth works.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Website says booked out for Sat 7 and Sunday 8. Try mid-week?
Cams suggest skiable but soft, rain affected.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Website says booked out for Sat 7 and Sunday 8. Try mid-week?
Cams suggest skiable but soft, rain affected.
Oh dear I think I might have to get the test saturday then try mon? They only last 72 hours after you get a result. After that Ive got tafe, thanks for the heads up mate.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
I am getting a plague test on Sat. and looking at XC skiing three days back to back at Falls Ck. . ,
Mon to Wed. next week , camping at Mountain Creek , Tawonga as a base.

Lake Mtn. , IMHO must have a fresh dump of snow for me to froth about it.

At Present Mt. Stirling would make a lot more sense for a day trip IMHO .
They have V.G . snow and trails for all levels of ability.
They have groomed the whole hill.
You can camp at Sheep yard flat afterwards and have a log fire if you go on Sat... Carter's road camp site is shut for Earth works.
thanks I will consider that and maybe even gwinear. This red tape is getting out of control, on the next speech from the chairman people are saying that they are going to relax the resort testing rule. I’m not sure if they will? I mean why change it now if they enforced it in the first place? Other recreational place like the you yangs are going to be heaps busy this weekend for mtb and they don’t need to test

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Gwinear could be worth a visit for a tour. But unlikely to be groomed so expect mixed conditions. I'm hoping to get there soon. Will be looking at cams in the morning.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Gwinear could be worth a visit for a tour. But unlikely to be groomed so expect mixed conditions. I'm hoping to get there soon. Will be looking at cams in the morning.
One of my guitar students just came back from Mt. Buffalo. He camped at Lake Catani hut with friends for 5 days and skied the Reservoir road ( 30 cms deep cover), The Horn Road etc. He told me that they got 5 cms of fresh snow last night and all cars were fitting chains down to Cresta from The
Cathedral saddle.
All 2 WD were fitting chains from Dingo Dell onwards.
I am going up there later next week i.e Thursday next week . The snow on the Horn road should hang on a bit longer.
There is no grooming being done on the Reservoir road . It would seem only one person is clearing the road and removing snow and fallen trees. Parks Vic. have almost given up making Mt. Buffalo a XC ski location.
It is free and you do not require a CV19 test to go there.

Last edited:

Skiain

One of Us
Sep 5, 2002
SE Australia
One of my guitar students just came back from Mt. Buffalo. He camped at Lake Catani hut with friends for 5 days and skied the Reservoir road ( 30 cms deep cover), The Horn Road etc. He told me that they got 5 cms of fresh snow last night and all cars were fitting chains down to Cresta from The
Cathedral saddle.
All 2 WD were fitting chains from Dingo Dell onwards.
I am going up there later next week i.e Thursday next week . The snow on the Horn road should hang on a bit longer.
There is no grooming being done . It would seem only one person is clearing the road and removing snow and fallen trees. Parks Vic. have almost given up making Mt. Buffalo a XC ski location.
It is free and you do not require a CV19 test to go there.

The Horn Rd was groomed yesterday

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Oh No! I have been waiting to see if the weather delivers rain or snow before deciding, seems im too slow.
For some reason, the resort is limiting entry to about 25% of capacity this year. Which is why booking is essential and weekends are booked out well in advance. On the positive side, it means you're guaranteed of a car spot in the top car parks, and there won't be any crowds. On the negative side, businesses at the bottom of the mountain are suffering severely on top of a non-existent winter last year.

Snowplowqueen

Hard Yards
Jun 26, 2014
For some reason, the resort is limiting entry to about 25% of capacity this year. Which is why booking is essential and weekends are booked out well in advance. On the positive side, it means you're guaranteed of a car spot in the top car parks, and there won't be any crowds. On the negative side, businesses at the bottom of the mountain are suffering severely on top of a non-existent winter last year.
Yeah i can see the reasons, It also seems a bit odd that they don't offer half day slots - A lot of people are only there for a couple hours.

I don't think i have ever not been in top car park :D And theres never crowds out skiing! Toboggan run is always nuts though

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Well if it all gets too much...just continue up to Mt Margaret...Rd is good even with 2WD mostly without need to carry chains.Tame Fido ....and mt Bikes ....go for long bush walk ..take appropriate clothing,lunch and something hot to drink.We have no limit to carparks,no booking.

Just drive safely ...that’s all that’s required!$$$$spend that entrance fee for Lake Mt on sandwiches and coffees etc .Stop in see Teckel for travel instructions and advice.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Bears have it on reasonable authority that LTDve from Marysville side is clear of obstacles for Mt Bikes and walkers only.....management barrier prohibits vehicle entry.And it’s reasonable to expect that debri has been removed to Keppels Hut.

So go visit those waterfalls up towards the Beech Gully.
And perhaps go further to camp at Keppels Hut.
No covid test required ...no booking.no party limits.Still come to Marysville as they are in deep financial peril!
So if you cannot get a booking for Lake Mt or covid test are tipping you over the edge ....just come up and enjoy yourselves doing alternate fun activities!

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Well if it all gets too much...just continue up to Mt Margaret...Rd is good even with 2WD mostly without need to carry chains.Tame Fido ....and mt Bikes ....go for long bush walk ..take appropriate clothing,lunch and something hot to drink.We have no limit to carparks,no booking.

Just drive safely ...that’s all that’s required!$$$$spend that entrance fee for Lake Mt on sandwiches and coffees etc .Stop in see Teckel for travel instructions and advice.
I always recommend chains for 2WDs for Mt Margaret if there is any chance of snow. There is no snow-clearing on the road, and no one to assist if you come to grief. (Narbethong is also in as much financial peril as Marysville.) Best way in to Mt Margaret (when there's snow) is via Buxton. Also, Blue Range Rd (which runs off Mt Margaret Rd) is sometimes skiable.

luke2059823

First Runs
Jul 6, 2021
Wednesday had close to full snow coverage, with it starting to feel like an ok base up higher. Snowing, then sleeting. Little bit wet, soft and slow, fairly minimal skidoo grooming, but, the ungroomed trails seemed firm below the fresh snow and could be skated (although, slowly with considerable extra effort). Skied all but jubilee.

adventuremum

Hard Yards
Jun 18, 2018
:woohoo:
LM re-opening tomorrow for regional people only. Must book cars in advance.
They're waiting on the formal go ahead from the govt before they update their website to reflect this.
Hi Teckel what's snow like? Are all trails open? What time are you open for ski hire to regionals? Cheers

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Hi Teckel what's snow like? Are all trails open? What time are you open for ski hire to regionals? Cheers
The rain a few days ago did a lot of damage. The upper trails are still pretty good though. 2 days ago, I hired some good skates to a guy and they came back undamaged :) He said the surface was good and groomed, but the place was deserted.
The idea is that I'm meant to be open from 7am on weekends and 7:30 on weekdays, but I've been running about 20mins late this week. (It's hard to drag myself out of bed when there's so few customers.) But I'm on schedule to be there at 7 this morning. :)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Photos of the LM ski trails from 10/8/21 can be seen here:

The Upper trails at LM look OK. The lower trails have bare patches that are increasing in size. The next major snowfall will be on next weekend 21/8/21 to 24/8/21 or thereabouts.

Watch Ms. Bunn's forecasts esp. if you lucky regional Vic. skiers can get out and time a XC ski trip with some fresh snow.

Last edited:
Reactions: adventuremum

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Well...that was unexpected .It will be Cup Day before anybody is allowed over the Black Spur!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
When r we going....Dans forces tied up in Danistan.....a perfect time to run over the Spur through Toolangi and surprise Teckel on the way!Dans forces may be tied up for days with the revolt.
200.gif

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
When r we going....Dans forces tied up in Danistan.....a perfect time to run over the Spur through Toolangi and surprise Teckel on the way!Dans forces may be tied up for days with the revolt.
200.gif
I have to work tomorrow but Lake Mt. looks great today . In another time and realm I would be skiing today.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
So nice to see those photos.Jolly good stuff.
Mr T will be rapt!

I hope you had a really beautiful day.....
Tuesday was the day to be there IMHO. It is melting now. I am looking forward to the 50 M. outdoor swimming pool reopening at the end of October 2021.Skiing in 2021 is over for many of us trapped in Lockdown-i-stan.

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Yes...mountain bike would be good!
Bears will get back up there around Melb Cup Day Weekend we hope and go for a walk with chainsaws.With some gates open we may be able to free up Boundary,Upper Taggerty Rd and Keppels Walking track a little!
I think it’s possible to ride out to Keppels Hut Track from Lake Mt via ski trails......walk bike down the walking track....then back onto Keppels 4x4Track for return trip to Lake Mt or down Lady Talbot Dve to Marysville !
Team Bears will just free up those fallen logs a bit....hopefully nothing huge has come down....DSE are most useful in that area and may also patrol the recut Tracks.

Getting out of Melb on a warm sunny day would be so so good!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Yes...mountain bike would be good!
Bears will get back up there around Melb Cup Day Weekend we hope and go for a walk with chainsaws.With some gates open we may be able to free up Boundary,Upper Taggerty Rd and Keppels Walking track a little!
I think it’s possible to ride out to Keppels Hut Track from Lake Mt via ski trails......walk bike down the walking track....then back onto Keppels 4x4Track for return trip to Lake Mt or down Lady Talbot Dve to Marysville !
Team Bears will just free up those fallen logs a bit....hopefully nothing huge has come down....DSE are most useful in that area and may also patrol the recut Tracks.

Getting out of Melb on a warm sunny day would be so so good!
The Upper Taggerty track completes the loop on foot from Snowy Hill Car Park to Keppel's hut and return via Keppel's hut foot track to the Hut Loop, Panorama trail and the Royston return track. I have walked that clockwise a number of times. It is about 16 kms one way. I would like to XC ski it one day .
However as other forum members have said if the snow is good there it will be amazing out on the Bogong High Plains.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass