Trip Report Lake Mountain 2022 Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Mr T and others will be frothing!
Lake Mt Snow Cam looking highly productive so far.

For the adventurous types the Keppels Walking track from Boundary Loop Trail to Keppels Hut was chainsaw cleared two weekends ago ....it was clear then of all fallen trees.No firewood was present at Keppels Hut what so ever unfortunately.
01E80A33-DFE3-4F55-B660-711134E8147F.png

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
LM web site is reporting 10 cms fresh . Give it another day or two to fill in the rocks and hazards etc..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The whole of LM has complete deep cover and has been machine groomed for classic and skating.
LM is going open to paying white season customers tomorrow I think.
@teckel was in a fluster over this change of dates for LM's operations.
LM are instructing cars to carry and fit chains where directed this weekend , both days.We did not need to put chains on today .
The road was clear and not icy .

The Ski surface was corduroy boiler plate when new convert to Nordic skiing Ms. A . and I arrived today
at about 10.30 am
Friday June 3rd 2022 and skied up to eat lunch out on the trails. @beefa skiing was also seen in action cautiously skiing the rock hard icy surface.
My new Excursion 3 pin boots, Rat trap Telemark cable bindings and Annum metal edged PB skis handled the icy easy green runs with aplomb. I did not crash once and I was going at a good speed around some of those descending bends after not skiing groomed resort terrain for how long, I don't know.
Until LM gets some more fresh snow , the surface will not suit newbies on planks . It is a bit "Knock knock , who is there? " kind of firm.
The skaters were loving it and my double poling and gliding was simple and effective.
If you go then take metal edged skis!
A full trip report with photos is coming soon.

Last edited:

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Totally different today, great skiing on a very nice surface. Quite a few skaters out enjoying the conditions.

We noticed the owner of a nice looking Audi decided to park their car in the gutter part way up the mountain from Marysville, and the road snow clearing grader tried to bury it!

• Haha
Reactions: neilmny

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Totally different today, great skiing on a very nice surface. Quite a few skaters out enjoying the conditions.

We noticed the owner of a nice looking Audi decided to park their car in the gutter part way up the mountain from Marysville, and the road snow clearing grader tried to bury it!
We saw that car yesterday.The snow clearing machine will probably bury it soon.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: neilmny and teckel

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Huey is hurling it down at LM at present.:woohoo::ski::party::emoji_snowflake::skier:
Nuking down and more snow is predicted to fall tomorrow too.
Wed. looks good for XC skiing and I got my early bird white season entry pass
for LM based on this hunch that these big snow systems won't stop this ski season and we are not going back to lockdowns ever again !
1654504929224.png

Rustyxc

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2015
visited LM this afternoon for a skate. Incredible conditions, nice firm base and soft fresh snow on top. Had a perfect afternoon. It had been groomed early this morning (as ski patroller told me that its normally done at that time).
only a handful of skiers out but the ones that were, had a lot of fun.
the place looks amazing and so nice to return after so long. the trees after being destroyed by fire 13 years ago now I think have shown amazing regrowth and add to the beauty of the place.
at times it was bucketing down with snow. Never seen anything like it ! top to bottom ski in ski out :). can't wait to get back again. :skier:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
visited LM this afternoon for a skate. Incredible conditions, nice firm base and soft fresh snow on top. Had a perfect afternoon. It had been groomed early this morning (as ski patroller told me that its normally done at that time).
the place looks amazing and so nice to return after so long. the trees after being destroyed by fire 13 years ago now I think have shown amazing regrowth and add to the beauty of the place.
at times it was bucketing down with snow. Never seen anything like it ! top to bottom ski in ski out :). can't wait to get back again. :skier:
I am going up early on Wed.. Opportunity knocks!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

eurosnowtec

Hard Yards
Apr 20, 2007
Europe
I wonder why the Jubilee trail is still ungroomed?

Chains are required Monday 6th June and Tuesday 7th June for 2wd vehicles, please carry and be prepared to fit chains as required.
We will give it a go in the next few days, but so many trees bending over with the weight of the snow it is almost impossible to get the groomer around the trails, as soon as it stops snowing and the snow falls out of the trees, we should be able to get out and groom.

eurosnowtec

Hard Yards
Apr 20, 2007
Europe
You can follow all the grooming live at https://nordic-pulse.com/ski-areas/AU/Vic/Lake-Mountain

Grooming can be in the evening or early morning, depending on weather and temperatures,

EquatorBunny

Addicted
May 30, 2011
Melbourne
We went up last Friday, beautiful snow. Solid surface on that day but here's hoping that with more snow to come we'll have a sensational season. :)
We enjoyed skiing the trails (after 2 years!!) and super happy that Royston was covered all the way back!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Bears did say the ground was very cold and that any fronts were going to deliver big time....you could see it happening awhile back.

Mr T needs to shake some trees out on Jubilee.More work should have been undertaken on Heathy Loop trail....bears have no idea what trees were down prior to this dump.

They should have put that flying saucer back out there near start of Triangle Junction..it’s going to get very busy at weekends...a base for ski patrol well out would have been a bright idea.
200.gif

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
We had 70 cms today at the Triangle junction.Great ski conditions.I skied all the blue runs like a champ.Jubilee track will be groomed when they can get the grooming machine out there.I spoke to @eurosnowtec In person today and he said the hut loop will also be closed while the overladen trees block the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rustyxc

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
70 cms today at the Triangle junction.Great ski conditions.I skied all the blue runs like a champ.Jubilee track will be groomed when they can get the grooming machine out there.I spoke to @eurosnowtec In person today and he said the hut loop will also be closed while the overladen trees block the way.
They should have got one of the earth movers to give the overhanging foliage a once over.....it’s going to be packed out this weekend so Team Bears will probably keep away.

Whats the score on Mt M.still got road closed problem?Bad that the competition has been hobbled due to roadworks at such a time.Kerr Frin would be a treat at the moment especially after the dozer went for a spin there recently.
Overladen trees!Thats a good one.....ummm not sure that’s the real reason.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
They should have got one of the earth movers to give the overhanging foliage a once over.....it’s going to be packed out this weekend so Team Bears will probably keep away.

Whats the score on Mt M.still got road closed problem?Bad that the competition has been hobbled due to roadworks at such a time.Kerr Frin would be a treat at the moment especially after the dozer went for a spin there recently.
Overladen trees!Thats a good one.....ummm not sure that’s the real reason.
The Jubilee link track and the Hut loop have orange tape contruction site type fences erected to block their entrances. . There will be no BC skiing out there tomorrow on those black runs. I am tempted to ski the Jubilee track soon , groomed or ungroomed. The Blue runs up there when the snow is fresh like today was don't scare me anymore and I didn't crash once.
;-P
When it is icy I stay away from Panorama loop :-0.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
We went up last Friday, beautiful snow. Solid surface on that day but here's hoping that with more snow to come we'll have a sensational season. :)
We enjoyed skiing the trails (after 2 years!!) and super happy that Royston was covered all the way back!
Royston was like a dream to ski on today . Amazing .

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Royston was like a dream to ski on today . Amazing .
I tacked my report on to T's by mistake. But can confirm Royston packed and groomed all the way, with a layer of fresh on top. LM is on for opening w/e. But it will most likely be a zoo. Be early or best avoided. Cops were up there when I left, talking about a S and R drill. Best to be prepared, I suppose. But they have to do something about people just walking up the trails. That's how misadventure (and tragedy) happens.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I tacked my report on to T's by mistake. But can confirm Royston packed and groomed all the way, with a layer of fresh on top. LM is on for opening w/e. But it will most likely be a zoo. Be early or best avoided. Cops were up there when I left, talking about a S and R drill. Best to be prepared, I suppose. But they have to do something about people just walking up the trails. That's how misadventure (and tragedy) happens.
The tragedy is when some gormless tourist gets
a self arrest pole in the head from a cranky chook footer for walking all over the groomed ski trails. :p . I will be up there again on Wed..

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Well snow conditions sound excellent.Let’s hope their opening weekend proceeds without incident and traffic management is given a high priority !

Fergiewol

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 14, 2017
My daughter and I headed up to LM today hoping to avoid the long weekend crowds. It seemed half the state had a curriculum day so it was much busier than I expected. Out on the trails was really wonderful, despite the wind and moisture laden cloud that didn’t relent all day, it was protected in the trees and very much the best place to be. The snow held up despite it being above 0 all day. It was so great to be back on snow so early in the season!!
EF58FFD6-AD84-4337-A264-CFF5401ED7A0.jpeg
84D1BB58-FD59-4A10-A517-88E672B9DABC.jpeg

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
My daughter and I headed up to LM today hoping to avoid the long weekend crowds. It seemed half the state had a curriculum day so it was much busier than I expected. Out on the trails was really wonderful, despite the wind and moisture laden cloud that didn’t relent all day, it was protected in the trees and very much the best place to be. The snow held up despite it being above 0 all day. It was so great to be back on snow so early in the season!!
EF58FFD6-AD84-4337-A264-CFF5401ED7A0.jpeg
84D1BB58-FD59-4A10-A517-88E672B9DABC.jpeg
What was the ski surface like to ski on today?.

Fergiewol

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 14, 2017
What was the ski surface like to ski on today?.
I’m not sure if it was groomed this morning, probably yesterday, but it was nice and snowy, no slush or ice. The train tracks (probably not the official term) we’re in good condition and my daughter who was only XC for the 4th time didn’t struggle. Save for the wet we would have stayed out longer but only made it to Heli flat and back.

eurosnowtec

Hard Yards
Apr 20, 2007
Europe
I’m not sure if it was groomed this morning, probably yesterday, but it was nice and snowy, no slush or ice. The train tracks (probably not the official term) we’re in good condition and my daughter who was only XC for the 4th time didn’t struggle. Save for the wet we would have stayed out longer but only made it to Heli flat and back.

Reactions: teckel

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
It looks like wintery mix of precipitation on Wed. coming up when I return with two more new XC ski converts.
The forecast beyond Wed. looks too warm for my liking according to the ECMWF modelling.
IMHO People should get another ski in before the temperatures rises past 2 degrees C. which would mean Tuesday or Wed. next week. I don't mind if Jubilee trail is not groomed. As long as it is not icy I will ski it.
I will keep a look out for fallen branches.
There was one on lower down on Royston trail on Wednesday this week which required some fancy manouevering . There were a few crash marks on the snow surface at that point ,
none of which were mine ;-) .

EquatorBunny

Addicted
May 30, 2011
Melbourne
Team EB went up today minus the turdler.
Two words that summed up our midday ski sesh - Soaking Wet
The wind wasn't an issue as most trails are protected anyway but the precipitation persisted. So we went in when our clothes just felt.....wet.
Hoping for dryer days ahead!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Train tracks is a good description ....who cares what the official Nordic terminology is!

eurosnowtec

Hard Yards
Apr 20, 2007
Europe
This is the link to the live grooming https://nordic-pulse.com/ski-areas/AU/Vic/Lake-Mountain

Reactions: Fergiewol
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass