Trip Report Lake Mountain 2022 Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

elray

Hard Yards
Jul 11, 2008
Trails are looking good ready for weekend. Full cover.

Attachments

• 20220617_103259.jpg
    20220617_103259.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220617_104926.jpg
    20220617_104926.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Rustyxc

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2015
had a fantastic skate at LM today. the snow is very good. about 30cm roughly from triangle junction guage. kudos to our wonderful groomer. He had it looking absolutely perfect this morning. generally a very good cover. the only exception was the extension of jubilee. I would take the short cut and lose about 1.5km and its fine. the trails were icy early after a good freeze and after the moisture last week I was expecting worse. so hopefully we can come back next weekend. It will certainly be great early in the week anyway.

how good is this !

1655544837889.png

the pic below is echo around midday and many of the sun exposed trails were soft by then but still nice to skate on. so something for everyone.

1655545010724.png

euexp

Hard Yards
Aug 5, 2017
I can see frost this morning in the carpark , the temp on the 360 cam : 4c
Where is that temp gauge located ?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
had a fantastic skate at LM today. the snow is very good. about 30cm roughly from triangle junction guage. kudos to our wonderful groomer. He had it looking absolutely perfect this morning. generally a very good cover. the only exception was the extension of jubilee. I would take the short cut and lose about 1.5km and its fine. the trails were icy early after a good freeze and after the moisture last week I was expecting worse. so hopefully we can come back next weekend. It will certainly be great early in the week anyway.

how good is this !

1655544837889.png

the pic below is echo around midday and many of the sun exposed trails were soft by then but still nice to skate on. so something for everyone.

1655545010724.png
Skaters are often nutters who enjoy bulletproof proof boiler plate corduroy.

May 31, 2019
Rosebud
I went to LM on the 13th (public holiday). The numbers on the mountain were high.

Conditions were soft in the sun, ice in the shade. The corduroy was being regularly groomed throughout the day, however, the classic tracks were not. As such they quickly disappeared due to many snow shoe walkers feeling a need to destroy them by walking on them. Go figure. :emoji_wrench:'s

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
Was also up the mountain Saturday morning.
Some of the descents on Woolybutt and Lower Muster were absolutely bulletproof at 10am-ish. I learned a valuable lesson about skiing in a tshirt in the process, namely don't. Second lap (after a trip to ski patrol for some first aid) had softened up nicely.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Need some parties of school kids to knock the snow up a bit first thing to reduce the ice risk!Should be no ice for next few days.....mins above zero.
6B620AF7-902D-4C32-B595-843186D2FA48.png
6B620AF7-902D-4C32-B595-843186D2FA48.png
200.gif

Rustyxc

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2015
Has anyone been up in the last couple of days to advise on the trail status. It seems to have survived the last couple of weeks pretty well with the temps and the grooming. With the rain forecast tomorrow is it likely to be good enough still to last until saturday ?
Its a little hard to get a picture of the trails without the webcams that they used to have on the trails a few years ago.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Has anyone been up in the last couple of days to advise on the trail status. It seems to have survived the last couple of weeks pretty well with the temps and the grooming. With the rain forecast tomorrow is it likely to be good enough still to last until saturday ?
Its a little hard to get a picture of the trails without the webcams that they used to have on the trails a few years ago.
The web cams on the trails told fewer lies.I am waiting for the July top up of snow.

May 31, 2019
Rosebud
would be sketchy at best till July, it's mostly been washed out. plus another 10mm of rain tomorrow.

17cm predicted to fall on the 29th from 4am to 10am, so if that does come through it might be a good day to sneak in a quick trail (assuming that's enough to make up for what's been lost). Expect chains required for 2WD vehicles though.
Otherwise it's going to stay cold enough for the 30th to be a go'er too.
Just get in there early due to school holiday toboggan traffic.

:out:

Rustyxc

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2015
if anyone has any actual current condition information rather than forecasts they would be gratefully received. As per last weekend the conditions were great. I am interested to know if they are going to be at least passable this weekend. I thought that this may be something of common interest on this thread.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Have to agree with U.S. The web site still says 40 cm which cannot be right. The 360 cam tracks over a snow making area and gives a misleading impression, unfortunately (until it gets to the workshops, where you get a glimpse of the muddy main trail.) I decided it was not worth the drive. Hoping the next weather event brings a top up but can't count on it.

TheFake

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2008
Have to agree with U.S. The web site still says 40 cm which cannot be right. The 360 cam tracks over a snow making area and gives a misleading impression, unfortunately (until it gets to the workshops, where you get a glimpse of the muddy main trail.) I decided it was not worth the drive. Hoping the next weather event brings a top up but can't count on it.
Was less than 40cms on Saturday last weekend. Theres no way its still near that after a week of rain.

eurosnowtec

Hard Yards
Apr 20, 2007
Europe
Skiing is still very good, thin from the village to the water tanks, then the odd hole on some trails. Still grooming with the big machine. Follow the grooming and reports at https://nordic-pulse.com/ski-areas/AU/Vic/Lake-Mountain

May 31, 2019
Rosebud
in reality it's more like 10cm.

weather update, the 29th has gone down to 4cm of snow fall and the 30th is 5cm with 2mm of rain. given the rain that has fallen the last 12 hours, and will continue till 9am, i imagine the trails are barely hanging in there.

Will have to see what July brings.

Rustyxc

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2015
thanks for update
Skiing is still very good, thin from the village to the water tanks, then the odd hole on some trails. Still grooming with the big machine. Follow the grooming and reports at https://nordic-pulse.com/ski-areas/AU/Vic/Lake-Mountain
thanks for the update. I do know that the snow in the car park isnt an indicator of snow on the upper trails. We will head there tomorrow and enjoy it for what it is. I do expect it will be a little less by tomorrow but its held up very well so far. If its still enough to be groomed then its usually enough to ski on. dont mind a short walk to begin with if I have to or taking the skis off even for the downhill into panorama or other random points.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I said the 'bottom part' of the lower trails. Enough to get you onto the main trails. Not all the trails for artificial snow.
It’s a good idea Tecks, using SM & farming. Not sure what capacity LM crew have for this. If it makes barely skiable lower access trails into half-decent runs then RM should seriously look into this.

A big ‘IF’ regarding all staffing-related matters this year. Even if housing isn’t quite such a deal breaker as it is in the main Alpine resorts.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
thanks for update

thanks for the update. I do know that the snow in the car park isnt an indicator of snow on the upper trails. We will head there tomorrow and enjoy it for what it is. I do expect it will be a little less by tomorrow but its held up very well so far. If its still enough to be groomed then its usually enough to ski on. dont mind a short walk to begin with if I have to or taking the skis off even for the downhill into panorama or other random points.
Ever the optimist . Carry on comrade. I shall wait for the next proper snow fall. Petrol is not cheap.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
You're telling me!!! You know anyone up this way who wants a job?

Not many - most of the gang (mid 50s kids in high teens) are trying to work less in order to ski.

I guess pay rates wont go up anytime soon to attract the slack types?
Or first year, Arts degrees with few contact hours?

Or gap year kids??

Rustyxc

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2015
I have a uni student working next week. Then he goes o/s for the second week.
I have a 15 yr old who currently has the flu then goes on camp for the second week.
I have a young woman whose husband is seriously ill, and she has a bug too.
I thought I had another young woman but she can't find a babysitter.
I have a woman I need to sack, but I can't because of the above.
I have a long-standing staff member who has been snatched up by the caravan park on weekdays. (at least I have her on weekends)
I had one who went nutty because of the pandemic.
I had one who moved far away to a retirement village.
And on it goes.
I am starting another 15 yo for the holidays - I hope he can last the distance with the stress we're going to be under.
Pay rates are going up.

Oh yeah - Ausnet is going to cut power to Narby all day on 7th July. I've booked a generator which is costing me $2750.
well i sincerely hope for your sake that the season kicks on soon and is a good one. I also hope one lady doesnt read this forum....

Reactions: teckel

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I have a uni student working next week. Then he goes o/s for the second week.
I have a 15 yr old who currently has the flu then goes on camp for the second week.
I have a young woman whose husband is seriously ill, and she has a bug too.
I thought I had another young woman but she can't find a babysitter.
I have a woman I need to sack, but I can't because of the above.
I have a long-standing staff member who has been snatched up by the caravan park on weekdays. (at least I have her on weekends)
I had one who went nutty because of the pandemic.
I had one who moved far away to a retirement village.
And on it goes.
I am starting another 15 yo for the holidays - I hope he can last the distance with the stress we're going to be under.
Pay rates are going up.

Oh yeah - Ausnet is going to cut power to Narby all day on 7th July. I've booked a generator which is costing me $2750.
That awful - constant worry to fill shifts?

Fwiw: some groups are Calling for the ATO to significantly increase the amount pensioners can earn - without losing to said pension. It could help fill some gaps? But this will take a few years to take affect - should it happen?

Employment analysts have suggested that other countries like Canada, do a LT more to lure working holiday-makers than Aussie does. We did sound quite punitive there for a few years (ie, eliminating the tax-free threshold)- while at the same to be crying a worker/skills shortage. I think we hit a bit cute then Covid hit. Perhaps Aussie isn’t God’s gift to backpackers after all?

And I digress further but hear me out.

So many young people can’t afford a rental near their job/uni etc… forget buying a home.

And many regional areas have worse rental scenarios (vacancy rates) than the city. That’s really something!

Im Trying not to sound melodramatic here but we’ve been riding our luck for so long but the relative good fortune for a good % of the population has glossed over just how bad things are for an increasing (now quite large!) minority.

But the worker problem?
- We’re ageing, we place a band aid with OS workers but clearly this can’t work forever.
- Our living costs are quite high by world standards - especially housing - and wages for our young workers (pre or no uni qual) have been falling relative to the rest of the country. Penalty rates were slashed - that’s an initial help to small businesses/ hospitality but have we ever considered whether this will discourage people from working? (Many students can only work weekends, so the loss of penalty rates will bite).
- We don’t seem to encourage less-academic ply minded kids from doing TAFE and other training to better engage it’s the workforce. And for decades, we accepted the myth that ‘we were useless’ if we didn’t go to uni.

- Our small No of big cities doesn’t help, there’s large distances to smaller, regional cities and towns, with relatively poor and expensive public transport to reach them - if at all - really bad for worker mobility and attraction away from the city.

I’m not running a small business - thankfully, not sure my blood pressure could handle it!
But all the above and more - plus world-high debt levels (housing in particular) and now increasing interest rates and inflation won’t help.

If only we could start again, say post WW2 and change some key aspects of government, taxation and economic policy.

Does that rang any bells Tecks / anyone? Or just SG waffle (BS?)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
That awful - constant worry to fill shifts?

Fwiw: some groups are Calling for the ATO to significantly increase the amount pensioners can earn - without losing to said pension. It could help fill some gaps? But this will take a few years to take affect - should it happen?

Employment analysts have suggested that other countries like Canada, do a LT more to lure working holiday-makers than Aussie does. We did sound quite punitive there for a few years (ie, eliminating the tax-free threshold)- while at the same to be crying a worker/skills shortage. I think we hit a bit cute then Covid hit. Perhaps Aussie isn’t God’s gift to backpackers after all?

And I digress further but hear me out.

So many young people can’t afford a rental near their job/uni etc… forget buying a home.

And many regional areas have worse rental scenarios (vacancy rates) than the city. That’s really something!

Im Trying not to sound melodramatic here but we’ve been riding our luck for so long but the relative good fortune for a good % of the population has glossed over just how bad things are for an increasing (now quite large!) minority.

But the worker problem?
- We’re ageing, we place a band aid with OS workers but clearly this can’t work forever.
- Our living costs are quite high by world standards - especially housing - and wages for our young workers (pre or no uni qual) have been falling relative to the rest of the country. Penalty rates were slashed - that’s an initial help to small businesses/ hospitality but have we ever considered whether this will discourage people from working? (Many students can only work weekends, so the loss of penalty rates will bite).
- We don’t seem to encourage less-academic ply minded kids from doing TAFE and other training to better engage it’s the workforce. And for decades, we accepted the myth that ‘we were useless’ if we didn’t go to uni.

- Our small No of big cities doesn’t help, there’s large distances to smaller, regional cities and towns, with relatively poor and expensive public transport to reach them - if at all - really bad for worker mobility and attraction away from the city.

I’m not running a small business - thankfully, not sure my blood pressure could handle it!
But all the above and more - plus world-high debt levels (housing in particular) and now increasing interest rates and inflation won’t help.

If only we could start again, say post WW2 and change some key aspects of government, taxation and economic policy.

Does that rang any bells Tecks / anyone? Or just SG waffle (BS?)
You have summarized the mismanagement of this country since 1969 or thereabouts.

Reactions: snowgum

Rustyxc

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2015
pretty good skiing on upper slopes today and fair on lower. plenty of things to ski around on some trails but still lots of continuous skiing. overall still a good cover.
echo flat trail not so good in spots but snowgum is still ok(below).
1656135861294.png

woolybutt has a few blank patches but generally a good cover still

1656136261790.png

only took skis off to go down/up the short exposed hill at panorama. the light groomer is being used now on all trails.
only took two pics and seemed to find some dirtyish snow but plenty of whiter stuff around too.

some more snow in the coming 1-2 weeks will be welcome.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass