Lake Mountain closed until end of snow season

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Lake Mountain have just announced that they are closing for the remainder of the snow season via Facebook and on their homepage.

upload_2020-7-9_13-54-13.png

beefa skiing

Hard Yards
Oct 10, 2018
Entry is prohibited. Hmmm, not going to even try? Couldn't even go with a skeleton staff, no snow making, no grooming but at least have the resort open for those legally allowed to use it.

And also what if people in Melbourne are let of out of jail mid August and allowed to go skiing outside Plague-i-stan, even day trips then? LM now saying we're not interested and we'll fine you if you try.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Entry is prohibited. Hmmm, not going to even try? Couldn't even go with a skeleton staff, no snow making, no grooming but at least have the resort open for those legally allowed to use it.

And also what if people in Melbourne are let of out of jail mid August and allowed to go skiing outside Plague-i-stan, even day trips then? LM now saying we're not interested and we'll fine you if you try.
LM are anti XC skiing any way !!!.The BC route to LM has new luster esp. if we are allowed out of the leper colony by late August.

Reactions: Boodwah and snowgum

beefa skiing

Hard Yards
Oct 10, 2018
I saw their FB post and the comments. Someone asked about Keppel Hut, but they did not respond. The Keppel Hut trail is on DEWLP and Parks Vic land and I understand it not to be part of the agreement between LM and Parks Vic. So if that track is to be closed, it would need an announcement from the appropriate authority. I would think that the same applies to the trail network within the NP that LM groom and maintain (like 95% of the whole network) as again Parks Vic is the authority. LM can (and appears will) certainly stop you going along their road and use of the trail head carpark.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I saw their FB post and the comments. Someone asked about Keppel Hut, but they did not respond. The Keppel Hut trail is on DEWLP and Parks Vic land and I understand it not to be part of the agreement between LM and Parks Vic. So if that track is to be closed, it would need an announcement from the appropriate authority. I would think that the same applies to the trail network within the NP that LM groom and maintain (like 95% of the whole network) as again Parks Vic is the authority. LM can (and appears will) certainly stop you going along their road and use of the trail head carpark.
LM 's fun police won't be parked at the Keppel's hut trail junction with the Hut loop 24/7.They can smell my finger!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Mt.Margaret is better for kids anyway.....and their parents wallets too!

There may not be much snow but a trip out on the Boundary Adventure Trail is sure to have the kids excited!Lots of exciting logs to sit on while eating sandwiches!
Perhaps Teckel could throw a sausage sizzle or two !

Reactions: snowgum

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Mt.Margaret is better for kids anyway.....and their parents wallets too!

There may not be much snow but a trip out on the Boundary Adventure Trail is sure to have the kids excited!Lots of exciting logs to sit on while eating sandwiches!
Perhaps Teckel could throw a sausage sizzle or two !
Under the most likely forthcoming level 4 lockdown the closest anyone from the leper colony in plague i stan will get to any of that terrain is via forum members' BC trip reports and NE Vic. access threads.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
When rules are silly or poorly implemented one needs to raise their voice and call them out.

Let’s not loose sight of the objective !That is to restrict the transmission of virus .....
If you adhere to that principle you are acting correctly !

If you become fixated on rules and directives you will loose sight on the objective!

No doubt Daniel can give some here little badges of merit to show they have done all the correct things.
But that may be insufficient to beat Covid-19....

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
I wish somebody would run the border at Combat Flat......then write anonymous trip report!It would give Team Bears something marvellous to read..

All those resources needed now to control the population but who went for the lowest bidder when Quarantine Arrangements took place!Scandalous......A Health Dept...that was snoozing at the wheel under Dans Watch?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I wish somebody would run the border at Combat Flat......then write anonymous trip report!It would give Team Bears something marvellous to read..

All those resources needed now to control the population but who went for the lowest bidder when Quarantine Arrangements took place!Scandalous......A Health Dept...that was snoozing at the wheel under Dans Watch?

Combat Flat? perhaps you mean Cowombat Flat?. There has not been much combat with a wombat out there for some time. The anti authoritarian spirit in the Team leader is leading to flights of fantasy of skipping the border on the AAWT and scoring a symbolic victory against artificial borders in what was once a very differently subdivided territory during the pre colonial period of this country's long and ancient history.

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
There appears to be a little weather in the outer metro area .....will anybody leave prints in the snow over the next month?The folk at the igloo now on a different trajectory than the bad metro lands?A parallel universe seems to have been created.....this surely is not a good thing!
FD23AD55-A29F-43C3-8134-93E04E968288.png

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Combat Flat? perhaps you mean Cowombat Flat?. There has not been much combat with a wombat out there for some time. The anti authoritarian spirit in the Team leader is leading to flights of fantasy of skipping the border on the AAWT and scoring a symbolic victory against artificial borders in what was once a very differently subdivided territory during the pre colonial period of this country's long and ancient history.
Yes...exactly that’s tied down our thoughts!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Everyone needs to stay at home if possible. If we all do then we have slither of a chance of BC XC skiing the Bogong High Plains, Boundary Hut loop at LM , Baw Baw N.P. etc. in September and just maybe at Charlotte pass in Mid October. On the BHP Young's spur and Young's hut holds snow quite well. Getting out there from Brandy Creek fire trail and Paling Spur is possible if we are allowed out of the leper colony. Parking may still be 1/2 price at Hotham after 19/8/20.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
There appears to be a little weather in the outer metro area .....will anybody leave prints in the snow over the next month?The folk at the igloo now on a different trajectory than the bad metro lands?A parallel universe seems to have been created.....this surely is not a good thing!
FD23AD55-A29F-43C3-8134-93E04E968288.png
No skiing and no surfing for 6 weeks from me. :-(
http://www.janebunn.net/lake-mountain
The snow forecast for LM looks lame anyway . We need snow to build up a natural base for September BC touring but there is not much snow in the LM pipeline by the looks of it.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Upper Yarra walking trail is (unfortunately) within water catchment area. So difficult for walkers and cartographers. I note one such rated a mention in the H/Sun this week. Mapmaker, mapmaker, make me a map.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Much of it so overgrown that the Rooftops maps wallah has given trying to find it let alone mark on it his maps.
I meant to type "He has given UP" etc. . The Northern section of the Baw Baw N.P. on the Rooftops map has the point where the Upper Yarra Trail veers off away from the AAWT.

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
I'm not sure how to feel about this year's snow season. On the one hand the snow is really crappy so far, and on the other hand I'm not allowed to go skiing anyway (because I live in Pariah-ville, Melbourne). So I feel sorry for the snow community, business as well as punters, and of course I feel sorry for myself. Would I feel better if the snow was great? Sadly, this would only make me more miserable. I do hope, of course, that it picks up in August, even if I can't enjoy it myself. At least I can look at snowcams.... and dream of what might have been.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Ms Bunn's modelling at present shows that LM will probably get skiable snow on Tuesday next week and on Sat. week.

Yes the lack of snow is bad and not XC skiing in winter is depressing but being in lockdown is not much fun either.
If it snows properly in August then at least some locals outside of Lepersville will get some XC skiing into their lives.
I have been cycling like a fiend and distance swimming in the bay in my wet suit to keep fit and sane.

However nothing is the same as XC skiing for 5-6 hours in a day.

Locals in the know can still access LM's upper ski trails via the Keppel's hut foot track.

Reactions: snowgum

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Ms Bunn's modelling at present shows that LM will probably get skiable snow on Tuesday next week and on Sat. week.

Yes the lack of snow is bad and not XC skiing in winter is depressing but being in lockdown is not much fun either.
If it snows properly in August then at least some locals outside of Lepersville will get some XC skiing into their lives.
I have been cycling like a fiend and distance swimming in the bay in my wet suit to keep fit and sane.

However nothing is the same as XC skiing for 5-6 hours in a day.

Locals in the know can still access LM's upper ski trails via the Keppel's hut foot track.
Rest assured, quite a few locals are 'in the know'. ;)

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
Is it just me or is there something really weird about the Lake Mountain management.
According to Vicroads the road is still closed...........bizarre or what o_O:confused:

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Lady Talbot Dve at Mt Margaret Gap is closed.... Mr T will have more details as he spoke to DSE today wirking along there.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Lady Talbot road is locked at Mt. Margaret gap and there are some BIG trees still down on that road . Keppel's hut track is in shite condition with some challenging sections for even a lifted 4 WD as well as some big trees down on the track. Keppel's hut track is gated and locked. DEWLP are working on clearing the carriage ways. The Boundary track has at least 7 big trees down across it.
Until the 4 x 4 track to Keppel's hut is opened ,cleared and repaired I will not be able to collect my supply drop or do any work on the foot track from the hut to the LM ski trails.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Lady Talbot road is locked at Mt. Margaret gap and there are some BIG trees still down on that road . Keppel's hut track is in shite condition with some challenging sections for even a lifted 4 WD as well as some big trees down on the track. Keppel's hut track is gated and locked. DEWLP are working on clearing the carriage ways. The Boundary track has at least 7 big trees down across it.
That's not good. OTOH, a large number of trees may have come down in the 2 big snow events at lower altitudes (the ones where we got a blanket in Narby. OTOH, they've had an awful lot of time to clean them up.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
That's not good. OTOH, a large number of trees may have come down in the 2 big snow events at lower altitudes (the ones where we got a blanket in Narby. OTOH, they've had an awful lot of time to clean them up.
As a result my friend and I only made it as far as Keppel's hut on foot. We ate lunch and returned to Mt. M. gap. I have not had a chance to inspect the walking track that connects the LM ski trails with Keppel's hut. That is coming up soon but I will have to walk in from the LM car park . Is that open yet ?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass