1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Lake Mountain closure

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Xc99, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Xc99

Xc99 First Runs

Hello
    Can someone explain why Lake Mountain is closed?
    I read that the police closed it which is their call of course. No disputing that.
    I wonder whether Lake Mountain worked through the night clearing the road, as most other well organised mountains do.

2. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I’m only guessing, but it’s probably tree related, not just snow. Not much Lake Mountain can do about it.

The roads to Baw Baw are closed again today. No access all weekend.

3. Pink

Pink One of Us

Roads closed this morning:
    Lake Mountain
    Baw Baw
    Mt St Gwinear
    Mt Macedon
    Hotham (Harrietville side)

4. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

And Falls Creek day visitors carpark chockers, so basically closed.

5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

maybe the fatal tree fall yesterday made them extra sensitive. iirc someone was killed in a tree fall on the lake mountain rd some years ago after a heavy snow fall

nezumi and Chaeron like this.
  6. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

The road is closed as trees down and snow clearing is underway.
    https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/incidents/3800210

7. Xc99

Xc99 First Runs

Thanks for the feedback folks. If it is tree related, then clearly safety comes first. The fact that Baw Baw is closed indicates that the region was hit hard.
    Outside of this extreme weather event, I just wish LM was more active in road snow clearing. Last Thursday for example, their website said 2WD had to put chains on, yet the natural snow depth was only 6cm. When it costs nearly $60 in entrance fees, one should expect that the roads are kept clear. Most modern ski resorts do this.

8. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

We were there this morning. Arrived at the roundabout and LM staff were advising cars to wait out at Marysville. Initially, they were to re-aseses the situation at 11am but updated their website around 9.30am to say the mountain would be closed for the day. Frustrating because we got different comments from everywhere and their update wasn't early enough.
    We drove circa 4 hours for a toastie and coffee at Marysville cafe.

skiflat likes this.
  9. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

EquatorBunny likes this.
  10. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

11. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Yeah, heard conflicting comments/reports about heavy winds + trees down + too much snow that made opening the resort difficult. Ironic that Lake Mountain is a fantastic place to be when it's snowing heavily but being shut this year due to "too much snow because they didn't anticipate it".
    No amount of sad face emojis could match our disappointment today. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Xc99 likes this.
  12. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I know a guy who works for an independent contractor. They have been working 12 hour shifts in an effort to keep the roads clear.

Simon11 likes this.
  13. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

Very disappointing today, but hopefully means amazing next weekend!
    Updating the reports by 6.50 rather than 7.50 would have been helpful, but i guess that supports the local cafe economy!

14. teckel

People went everywhere instead. Mt Margaret via Blue Range Rd, Dom Dom Saddle picnic area and lots of other high points. All of my customers who went looking for snow found it and had a ball.

Chaeron and Pink like this.
  15. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

Good to hear!!

16. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

I'm shocked to hear that there is skiing at this ski resort.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  17. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

To be fair they do need to deal with about a squillion big trees that were burnt in 09, are now dead and pretty much fall over if a bird sits on a branch, let alone piles of snow, ice and then strong winds. It's unfortunate but no ones fault.
    However they probably should update reports earlier, particularly on weekends.

18. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Very few here would quibble with trees coming down or likely to topple. Had enough deaths & injuries already.

But I think the trouble to clear one or two of the modest falls is a bit of a worry. (Prior to this big event when likewise some grace is due)!

It's a fair old (Rtn) drive to be told the roads haven't been plowed. (Classic First world problem!)

19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Mt.Stirling have falling trees, record snowfalls, blocked or icy roads, regular grooming, snow cameras , daily ski trails and access road condition updates via a website S O R T E D. That is how you manage and operate a Nordic ski location where one must pay to use it.
    I have skied the Jubilee trail at L .M. in a blizzard.
    There is not much left that 's new to do up there for this intermediate skier this season.

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Did any of them go and ski on the Blue Range rd.?

21. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

On the bright side, places like the Snowy Plains /Mt Reynard will likely have good cover for almost endless XC - for a week or two -maybe more? But it's really more a 2-3 day+ destination unless one lives at Pakenham / Warragul etc...

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes but vehicular access to the winter gate near Kelly's hut would be interesting too . With such good snow falls and no road clearing up there a convoy of two high clearance 4 x 4 vehicles would be the wisest way to access that area. The same could be said about the terrain north of Dargo village before one reaches the winter gate at Emu Plain on the Dargo High Plains road.

23. Goski

Goski Addicted

Many days now there isn't. If it snows or it is windy the ski trails get closed and you will be reassured by their staff that it's fine.... you can still go tobogganing or make a snowman instead of doing the only thing you came to do.

24. Goski

Goski Addicted

Yes, that Sunday a few weeks ago (July 14) we arrived at 10am to find the road closed because they had failed to clear a modest10-15cm was a farce. Followed by the chain fitting directive farce.
    Faark, Lake Mt is well and truly faarked this year as a ski destination.

#25 Goski, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

You can bet on Mt. Stirling's road being open, its ski trails being groomed and hopefully the Circuit road will be skiable during July and August . Mt. Buffalo when it has snow has the road open quick smart and grooming on some routes.

26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

"Little Mountain , BIG bullsh*t " is the other version of their cringeworthy new slogan they are chanting up there. The LM web site also has a lot about tobogganing and not all that much that is useful for us about XC skiing. The Mt. Stirling website and the Falls Ck. XC website are the way to do it for detailed ski trail information.

27. Goski

Goski Addicted

Which is really sad. LM used to be an easy and pleaurable day out for my partner and I and friends and fior my family when the kids were learning to ski. Now that providing a good ski experience is such a low priority for the management and with the resort is choking under masses of thoughtless and inept snow-players, we are down to an unreliably open Gwinear (they too are having big problems this year with access, too many visitors and no resources to groom post-holed trails) and a much longer drive to Stirling and back for a Sunday day trip.
    Vale LM.

28. Goski

Goski Addicted

LM were unable to efficiently clear 10-15cm of fresh snow for the next day when most of it fell in the late afternoon and evening of July 13. Road opened at 11am with no closure info prior to our arrival at 10am. So if it snows today, assume LM won't open on time tomorrow and be prepared not to get up before midday after waiting in a queue for an hour or two.

29. Goski

Goski Addicted

Or save a lot of prep time, travel time and waiting in queue time and go out for a nice bike ride and brunch instead.

30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Dude, I am hearing you. I still think if the TBJ web cam has snow then Mt. Stirling is all systems go. Pack the lunches and gear the night before, get up at 5 am and you can easily be on planks by 0930 at TBJ. Then you can ski for 6 hours ! There is so much terrain at Mt. Stirling , something for all levels of XC skiing ability , in all weather conditions , I am sold on it. They know how to manage a XC ski location.

31. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Not to mention that you will be skiing amongst live Alpine Ash and Snowgums at Mt. Stirling.
    Lake Mountain was a beautiful place to be and a beautiful place to ski back then......you might even say it had soul.........my family had their first crack at skiing on Lake Mountain. Come to think of it so did I. The grand design has taken that away.

32. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I learned the very basics of XC skiing at LM. I want LM to succeed for XC skiers but there things there that need fixing , that did not need fixing in 2018.

33. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

So this closure was limited to just 11 August 2019?

34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM was closed on 11/8/19 and on other days which forum members can remember better than I can so far this season.

35. skifree

Random then?

36. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A number of other days this season the resort has closed either half way through the day or with very short notice which is a PITA if you are almost there or already skiing.

37. skifree

Do they announce it on some obscure methodology such (and I’m relying on advice from my teenage god daughter here) fackbook or instantgram?

Or on the Parks Vic web pages which use the same web format as all parks departments across Australia use that require 25 clicks and 4 searches on average to locate something vaguely about the area you want to visit last updated 4 years prior?

Or is much more readily accessible on a pinboard in the third basement of the treasury building in your state capital, behind the dunny door guarded by 3 snakes, 2 vicious turtle doves and a murderous partridge wielding a pear tree?

Mister Tee on XC Skis and art like this.
  38. currawong

Amongst other things, i suspect it would be on the same vic traffic app that people rely on for other road closures and road works in the state. Not rocket science to check it

skifree likes this.
  39. skifree

Sorry I’m from SA, relying on an app (we’re not allowed to use our phones in the cat) to tell us we can’t get somewhere doesn’t yet (but it might in the future) is not yet on our radar,

40. skifree

Prompted by your advice I’ve got the NSW road traffic app up and running.:thumbs:

currawong likes this.
  41. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Team Bears did mention that Moondog could be deployed to Mt Margaret Gap in a Winnebago Van to be the new unofficial Ski Forum Director of Operations .....this would give Lake Mt a stimulus to lift its standards in relation to all snow activities ,access and communication skills!

He could direct parking operations and coordinate Parks Vicco in snow clearing activities.He could have a hot line to the Igloo and to Teckels Business enterprise to maximise customer satisfaction!

Perhaps Lake Mt don’t have access to sufficient plant and machinery necessary to manage a moderate snowfall.If one machine and operator cannot perform the job then u get two!Their business is snow....but they are struggling to manage this.....tree fall removal is part of their job.....they need to raise their standards!

:thumbs:

42. currawong

living in the country I don't use it for traffic info, more for route checking before heading somewhere. especially useful if there are fires, floods, storms, big snow falls. :)

43. PeaceDak

PeaceDak First Runs

Yo What's up guys ! tell me pls is it still closed?

44. teckel

Why do you ask that? It was closed for one day only.

45. PeaceDak

PeaceDak First Runs

Oh ok ok I understand, just didn't know man

teckel likes this.
  46. teckel

Woman. ;)

47. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Comrade, Lake Mtn. closed its white season operations a few weeks ago. It is open for walking. However Once the 4 x 4 roads are reopened then I can go and fetch my supply drop from near Keppel's hut and check to see if the foot track from Keppel's hut to the Boundary Hut ruins loop is clear of debris. It may require a haircut with the Makita chainsaw. Long Heath trail will need such treatment for sure.

Simon11 likes this.