Comments Lake Mountain News & Chat

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Sliding peak hour
B8D02D55-6B2C-4FF3-952E-FBF99860C9CE.png
The cash cows on toboggans
keep the place open for us chook footers who require twenty kms of real snow on the ski trails.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
The children should be given two free hot chocolates as reimbursement for pain and suffering ! All that way to get wet and miserable.....
5CC408AC-D0C8-4FE7-B937-76ED4579838D.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

eurosnowtec

Hard Yards
Apr 20, 2007
Europe
I cannot believe the upper ski runs are still
“open” with just five cms of snow left.You need 20cms imho to be able ski properly on those trails,
Skiing is still all ok on the upper trails, with almost two weeks of cold nights and snow is hard and not melting at all. All the trails are open, just some you need to walk a bit then ski on and off, but in general upper are still very skiable. Just we can not get grooming equipment out that far without causing damage to the equipment.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Skiing is still all ok on the upper trails, with almost two weeks of cold nights and snow is hard and not melting at all. All the trails are open, just some you need to walk a bit then ski on and off, but in general upper are still very skiable. Just we can not get grooming equipment out that far without causing damage to the equipment.
I would get out on a skidoo with a chainsaw and tidy up the hut loop.That trail holds snow the best .I am waiting for a proper twenty cm dump of snow before I use the petrol to come and use my weekdays entry pass for more skiing at Lake mountain.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
BB + LM season pass was a gamble by a desperate optimist, but it just might pay off. Otherwise, FC beckons later.
Having been let out of the naughty corner after two winters of little or no skiing I spent the money on LM and FC entry passes. It will snow properly during July , Inshallah.FC always has something you can ski on , both on XC and downhill.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
The Team Leader went to Mt Gordon Yesterday arvo..walked from bitumen to the top via the old 4x4Track/Mt Bike trail...then past that northern lookout and over barrier and out to telecom tower a bit further along the ridgeline.The arvo sun hits the route.....it was a nice little exercise walk.

I saw three mt bikes hurling down the trail and had to stand back to let them zoom past.

Our favourite exercise area seems to have been closed to the public..

Marysville was a high quality circus as we came past from Buxton after value adding to Hammis big tree at the Igloo.

You can drive a sedan on good packed gravel road to the top of Mt. Gordon.
The view from the lookout as you sweep a hairpin corner is nice as you look to the north up the Maroondah Highway.

The sooner Mt M is back in action the better......

Now as Lake Mt seems booked out....we offer other diversions to keep the troops fit and energised at low cost!$$$

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Team Leader went to Mt Gordon Yesterday arvo..walked from bitumen to the top via the old 4x4Track/Mt Bike trail...then past that northern lookout and over barrier and out to telecom tower a bit further along the ridgeline.The arvo sun hits the route.....it was a nice little exercise walk.

I saw three mt bikes hurling down the trail and had to stand back to let them zoom past.

Our favourite exercise area seems to have been closed to the public..

Marysville was a high quality circus as we came past from Buxton after value adding to Hammis big tree at the Igloo.

You can drive a sedan on good packed gravel road to the top of Mt. Gordon.
The view from the lookout as you sweep a hairpin corner is nice as you look to the north up the Maroondah Highway.

The sooner Mt M is back in action the better......
The Team leader should give Mt. Juliet a go for exercise.
OMG
:-0
That is steep!
The other way into Arnold Gap and Snowy Hill from Camberville is one I have not yet investigated on foot. I think I will do it in November this year just for the excursion and exercise.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
I want to walk Kerr Frin from Marysville to Mt Margaret Saddle.....but I will have to negotiate with the farmer that owns property where track spills out close to Marysville.

Has Mt Juliet track got fallen trees over it.....I have walked up and down.....once I walked in from Mt Donna Buang and over the obvious ridgelines and saddles towards Mt J....the MMBW tracks follow the obvious line.....then a half kilometer bush bash to the summit.....then back the same way.....the MMBW have lots of exciting tracks in there that one can follow.But I think it’s illegal now!
200.gif

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I want to walk Kerr Frin from Marysville to Mt Margaret Saddle.....but I will have to negotiate with the farmer that owns property where track spills out close to Marysville.

Has Mt Juliet track got fallen trees over it.....I have walked up and down.....once I walked in from Mt Donna Buang and over the obvious ridgelines and saddles towards Mt J....the MMBW tracks follow the obvious line.....then a half kilometer bush bash to the summit.....then back the same way.....the MMBW have lots of exciting tracks in there that one can follow.But I think it’s illegal now!
200.gif
Mt Juliet walking track has plenty for the team leader to get stuck into with the power tools.It has overgrown scrub and fallen trees along the way.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Looks like the whole population will be sick again with two new strains of immunisation resistant covid anyway.

Bears saw that Foley Guy yabbering yesterday on the TV.

Maybe Lake Mt get shut down again.....yippee do ........
200.gif
third wave rolling in!

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Bears went exploring along Dickerson Rd beside the Taggerty River......scoping out access to bottom end of Kerr Frin Track from Mt Margaret.We note some walking tracks are closed and the barrier on Lady Talbot Dve has been brought closer in to Marysville........

Now you can only drive to Dickinson Rd!

Bears think the way in will be via Vic Oak Property!
Just after First Bridge after Golf Course.

When Lake Mt is crowded the masses need more things for amusement !

Last edited:

Skiain

One of Us
Sep 5, 2002
SE Australia
Anybody been out on de trails at the Premier Ski Resort?
I was out yesterday. First 300m or so of Echo Flat trail was for walking (if you value your ski bases) as well as the last 500m or so of Royston Rd trail. They had large frozen chunks, soil and grit in the mix and many mud/rock patches, as well as the damage from walkers. Once up past the snow gauge, the trails generally had full coverage, with the occasional surface grit patch. Trails were icy, firm and still had frozen blocks of snow and ice, except in the sunny aspects of the trails, which into mid and late afternoon were softened and skiing nicely. Between 1-4pm I only saw 3 other people or pairs, and all were heading home. Classic tracks were cut on most trails, but were not clean and consistent. Skating was challenging in places due to the ice blocks and patches of grit/mud. Jubilee was not groomed. All other upper trails still provided some nice skiing, especially with the sunshine and lack of wind. There had been a clear freeze/thaw and, there were patches of black ice in the morning on the roads.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I was out yesterday. First 300m or so of Echo Flat trail was for walking (if you value your ski bases) as well as the last 500m or so of Royston Rd trail. They had large frozen chunks, soil and grit in the mix and many mud/rock patches, as well as the damage from walkers. Once up past the snow gauge, the trails generally had full coverage, with the occasional surface grit patch. Trails were icy, firm and still had frozen blocks of snow and ice, except in the sunny aspects of the trails, which into mid and late afternoon were softened and skiing nicely. Between 1-4pm I only saw 3 other people or pairs, and all were heading home. Classic tracks were cut on most trails, but were not clean and consistent. Skating was challenging in places due to the ice blocks and patches of grit/mud. Jubilee was not groomed. All other upper trails still provided some nice skiing, especially with the sunshine and lack of wind. There had been a clear freeze/thaw and, there were patches of black ice in the morning on the roads.
Some proper snow ❄️ will fall this Sunday at LM
according to BOM which could make the
drive up there worthwhile as of next week imho.I am not rock hopping in July.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
LM 's web site has not updated its actual snow depth on the ski trails. With a top of 8
or 9 Degrees C. today and some rain tomorrow LM will be crying out for a snow top up.
BOM and Ms. Bunn seem to think it could come this week. I will continue to watch with interest.

Reactions: teckel

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The situation at Baw Baw and Lake Mtn. looks underwhelming today on the snow cameras. I cannot see a ski trip up there being worth it this week at the present moment
IMHO ..
LM is reporting 5 cms on most ski trails. 10 cms on Panorama and Jubilee trails.
Grooming is on hold until something to groom appears.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Today's forecast for ten days from ECMWF looks bad. R*** and no snow worthy of mention.
ECMWF is now off the anti depressant medication for sure.

Things look grim for skiers at LM.

Global Warming and La Nina ( The warm and wet weather curse )
are killing off skiing below 1600 M. ASL in Vic. and NSW.
:-((

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Ok...not been out there much.Looks good from photos!
I have not been there myself but it has more facilities than the Keppel creek camping area does , near Mt. Margaret road .It looks like it is closer to Marysville and Narbethong too.
Mid week in ski season it would be quiet ,one would imagine.
The snow bearing weather system coming in ,
on the 10-13th of August could be good for LM XC ski forumites to ski 3 days back to back at LM and camp at one of these spots.
I will be at the Bogong Rover Chalet
all of next week but I am keen to try this idea out if there is a big dump of snow at LM during the week during the ski season.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using