Comments Lake Mountain News & Weather Chat

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
It is still snowing up there. It is bizarre to be at home when the weather is like this with snow below 400 M ASL. Usually I would be XC skiing until I am spent.
lakemountain-fun-park 22.8.20.jpg

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
After a dump like that they used to open some new trails across Echo Flat.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Perfect for kids making snowmen....sorry ...I hope I have not broken laws dictated by our CMO....
Kids no rebellions please.....watch those videos of snow play....

Anyway Dan has the drones out....one must never break the rules !

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
So are Lake mountains gates actually open? Mt buller opened up bourqe street for a last ski today. As a regional resident I’m keen to ski tomorrow to make the most of the recent snow falls and have my first ski of the season lol

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
So are Lake mountains gates actually open? Mt buller opened up bourqe street for a last ski today. As a regional resident I’m keen to ski tomorrow to make the most of the recent snow falls and have my first ski of the season lol
Unfortunately, they're still closed. Until Oct 3.

Saturday 3 October:
Gates re-open to the resort from 8.30am – 4.00pm daily. The gates will continue to be locked nightly. Access to the resort will be through pre-purchased online gate entry tickets only providing contract tracing information. Tickets will be available for purchase up to 3pm for the same day. Visitation is restricted to regional Victorian postcodes.

The Lake Mountain Visitor Information Centre based in Marysville will also be opened daily for Information, MTB shuttle-check in, MTB hire and pre-purchased tickets available daily from 8.30am – 4.30pm.

Daily capacity limits: 100 cars per day from regional Victoria. Traffic Control will be staffed daily to check entry tickets and ensure accuracy of pre-purchased ticket information.

Contractor access permits will continue to be implemented in line with COVIDSafe Plan.

Limited facilities available:

* Public bathrooms and BBQ areas will be re-opened with health and hygiene protocols in place.

* Trails will be re-opened to the public. (These will be identified at the time as trail clearing is continuing to clear winter debris).
* MTB shuttles open. Lower Cascade trail will be fully operational. (Upper MBT network Trails available subject to clearance works).
* No food and beverage will be available during this staged opening

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Locals are skiing on Mt Margaret - I don't know what conditions are like there.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Mt. Stirling is open to regional Vic. and they have dropped the front gate fee. The Mt. Stirling snow report is VERY GOOD top to bottom.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
Cross Country Skiing | Lake Mountain Alpine Resort (lakemountainresort.com.au)

LM still have pictures of bolt up right newbies on Nordic skis on their website.
What ever happened to "knees and nose over toes" ?
At least get some real Nordic skiers who can slouch and bend the knees like true chook footers to pose on their web site photos.

Probably intended to say it's OK to be a newbie we will teach you.
None of us are born experts. Some further from expert than others.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Probably intended to say it's OK to be a newbie we will teach you.
None of us are born experts. Some further from expert than others.
True , I am not an expert at all but after one or two lessons I would hope that I would be bending my knees and getting closer to the ground .......in order to fall over in a controlled manner ;-P .

The Bluff

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004
melbourne

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Team Bears good at crashing.....that’s the technique we have mastered over many years.
Bears stack with the best of the troops!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Tomorrow I cannot get motivated to do the three hour drive to XC ski at Baw Baw ( one way). I am getting up at 0445am to drive up to LM tomorrow to get some rock hopper op shop XC ski action.

I guess LM has had 10 cms of snow today which is enough to rock hop on. The Blue runs won't have enough coverage to ski on i..e Woolly Butt track and Panorama track need 20 cms to be safe to ski down over those rocks and around those bends.
However if it turns out to be OK then I will ski down Royston track just get my thigh muscles burning and get my rusty XC ski skills back with some turning.
The snow should stay cold from 8 am until 11.30 am tomorrow. Then the air temperature will increase past zero and the R**n will start :-(.
Here are two photos from today's web cam.
Web capture_15-5-2021_101429_lakemountainresort.panomax.com.jpeg

Cropped.15-5-2021_94924_lakemountainresort.panomax.com.jpeg

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I think you'll find the snow is pretty good. Some returnees today showed me pics of huge snowmen, as tall as the people themselves, and they hadn't scraped down to the dirt to make them.
Oh Goodie :). I shall take pictures and report back. I could not get anyone to ski with me tomorrow . They are good people :) but they have not got the drop everything when there is fresh snow or good surf mentality. That is the live to ski / live to surf way of life.
It is the way to be :).

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Oh Goodie :). I shall take pictures and report back. I could not get anyone to ski with me tomorrow . They are good people :) but they have not got the drop everything when there is fresh snow or good surf mentality. That is the live to ski / live to surf way of life.
It is the way to be :).

Have a ski for me, mate. I’ve done a few of these (early/lates) over the years (inc. Buller) - always feels good to escape the rat race and get some exercise. Even if the descents are ‘cautious’. :thumbs::p

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Have a ski for me, mate. I’ve done a few of these (early/lates) over the years (inc. Buller) - always feels good to escape the rat race and get some exercise. Even if the descents are ‘cautious’. :thumbs::p
My descent down Royston return run today was not cautious enough and I came to grief. :confused::eek::(.I was getting a bit cocky after such a long time of not XC skiing .I shall post a trip report in the LM trip report thread with photos.

Reactions: neilmny and snowgum

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The snow was holding up yesterday really well but it looks like it is melting today with warmer air temperatures and some R**n.Maybe the upper trails could still be ski friendly today but after 12 noon I think it will be less than ideal. Yesterday was quite good for skiing.
It seemed almost like winter up there yesterday( see photo below from 17.5.21) , but without any grooming which made the ski surface slower.
_SAM9168.JPG

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
expect most the (other then south facing) snow will be gone in a few days, going fast here at Buller.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
A Muppet newsflash from L.M..
"

Effective from 11.59pm on Thursday 3 June, the circuit breaker restrictions will be extended for a week with changes for both metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.

Lake Mountain Alpine Resort will reopen on Friday 4 June to regional Victorians. Persons residing in metropolitan Melbourne are not permitted to visit the resort at this time or for the Queen’s birthday long weekend.

Lake Mountain Alpine Resort and Lake Mountain Visitor Centre located in Marysville will reopen to the
public, in line with public health measures that can be found at https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/ "

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
BOM say snow is coming to LM . Not much but better than what comes out of a Slurpee machine me thinks.
Drums say phantom come!

Thursday 17 June​

Summary
snow.png
Min 2Max 5Snow tending to showers.Possible rainfall: 3 to 8 mmChance of any rain: 90%
rain_90.gif

North Central area​

Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers, most likely in the afternoon and evening. Snow falling above 1200 metres. Light winds becoming west to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day then becoming light during the afternoon. Overnight temperatures falling to around 4 with daytime temperatures reaching between 9 and 13.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Great news!
The Black Spur (Healesville through to Narbethong) is expected to reopen tomorrow (Wednesday) evening or Thursday after a scheduled inspection by VicRoads tomorrow. Just in time for the school holidays. That will make it exactly 2 weeks of closure from the severe storm damage on the night of the 9th June. :woohoo:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I hope those school kids like water skiing :-0. Maybe LM will actually develop a Lake?. The forecast looks grim if snow sports are your thing.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I hope those school kids like water skiing :-0. Maybe LM will actually develop a Lake?. The forecast looks grim if snow sports are your thing.
SW WA are getting whacked by all these juicy systems while they’re still quite cold - before they turn into a spiralling pineapple cocktail (don’t tell the forecasting gurus what I Said - they’d be horrified!)

On the half-full size of the Cadbury dairy milk block: the BOM are now saying SE is likely to be cooler and wetter ‘than ave’ over the next 3 months.

For Lake Mtn and other day Vic resorts, I’d love to see 2 or 3C knocked off these systems coming through. Maybe need it 5 degrees cooler for decent base-building? Fingers crossed!

After missing a full winter and now June 21’, I reckon Lake Mtn visitors would Practically come up to see one or two wheelbarrows of snow/ice... we’re desperate to do/see something.

Could we build a resort-roof before the rains and make it a sort of Etihad-retractable roof resort-venue thing?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
SW WA are getting whacked by all these juicy systems while they’re still quite cold - before they turn into a spiralling pineapple cocktail (don’t tell the forecasting gurus what I Said - they’d be horrified!)

On the half-full size of the Cadbury dairy milk block: the BOM are now saying SE is likely to be cooler and wetter ‘than ave’ over the next 3 months.

For Lake Mtn and other day Vic resorts, I’d love to see 2 or 3C knocked off these systems coming through. Maybe need it 5 degrees cooler for decent base-building? Fingers crossed!

After missing a full winter and now June 21’, I reckon Lake Mtn visitors would Practically come up to see one or two wheelbarrows of snow/ice... we’re desperate to do/see something.

Could we build a resort-roof before the rains and make it a sort of Etihad-retractable roof resort-venue thing?
I am glad I can still go surfing. The Ocean is always there.

Reactions: snowgum

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Press release from the Department of Transport (8.47pm, June 22):
The Black Spur has reopened following an enormous coordinated effort from Department of Transport crews, contractors, arborists and geo-technical engineers.
Since the wild storms earlier this month, more than 3000 tonnes of debris has been removed from the Black Spur with crews working to clean out drains, clear mudslides, and remove traffic hazards and large trees blocking the road.
Up to 32 hazardous trees identified by an arborist have been pruned or removed and an additional ten hazardous trees identified during works have also been removed.
All 12 landslips identified within the Black Spur have been repaired – with works continuing on the two remaining landslip sites in the coming days.
We want to say a massive thank you to the community for their patience and understanding while crews worked to remove fallen and hazardous trees, clear debris, repair landslip sites and fix damaged road infrastructure.
Thanks also to the tireless work of crews in the area who faced a mammoth task in reopening the Black Spur and keeping the community safe.
In the coming days and weeks, Department of Transport crews will be on-site removing timber and debris from the Black Spur, as well as repairing drainage. During works, there will be lane closures and reduced speeds in place to help keep our crews safe.
Please drive safely, allow extra time on your journey, and look out for traffic management signs.
Vince Punaro, Executive Director Metro South East, Department of Transport said, “It is great news that the Black Spur has re-opened and communities can be reconnected once again.
This has been a huge co-ordinated effort to reopen the road - the scale of the debris cleaned up by crews and contractors along the Black Spur cannot be understated.
There is still more work to be done and – we thank the community for their ongoing patience as we work to ensure the Black Spur is safe for all road users.”

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Maybe Mt Biking will be the thing over the school holidays .Maybe Lake Mt Management will run a chainsaw long UT Rd out to Keppels 4x4Track ....so Mt Bikes can have a long safe ride in the direction of its poor sister Mt Margaret!Team Bears very pleased B.Spur reopened.Thus affording us speedy access into the area....alternate way though exciting is time consuming.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Snow for sightseeing and dog walking at Mt Margaret.Road conditions excellent as of Saturday 5pm.No newly fallen trees all the way up.Bears in 2WD only but with Maxxis propelling the Bears Ute!Snow at Gap...more snow at top..Greenhill Junction.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass