1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Comments Lake Mountain News & Weather Chat

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Ubiquitous Steve, May 30, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

2. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

That forecast has lots of miscellaneous info but the sobering data is the lack of forecast snow with no “dumps”predicted ! Now Team Bears have tried not to mention :Drain in their respect for the medics dealing with the “anxiety”issues that seem to be manifest in the forum atm.:whistle:

3. Ubiquitous Steve

Our nearest snow cam of working order that we can use to visualise the Lake Mt Situation is Baw Baw where they may need toboggans with wheels!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  4. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

Is the 700m loop on man made for anyone to have a play on? or just for lessons?

I'm almost tempted to go up and practice some skating drills for an hour or two one day next week

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

You must be more afflicted and desperate than I am . I drove to JB Plain and had the car conk out on me near Kilmore on the way home and the towing and repairs have it cost me the same as a flight to NZ for a week of skiing there including food and lodgings.However I did get a powder snow XC ski rock hopper fix.

#55 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  6. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

I'm thinking i could go up, do some midweek loops, practice some bad skating, and then have a lovely afternoon in the yarra valley on way home! Sounds like a great day out to me

Simon11 likes this.
  7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The JB Hut to Wire Plain ski trail is skiable. The Windy Corner to Watch bed Creek ski trail is skiable. Neither are groomed and they are both only about 10cms deep.
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/10th-14th-july-the-long-shot.85022/page-3#post-3950515
    Well, over on the weather thread the soothsayers are saying good things about July12-14 2019 as being the true arrival of winter.
    Show me the Monster snow dump!!
    Keep your $57 and wait for the mother load. It is coming ….
    Both Weather zone and Ms. Bunn are now saying the mother load is coming and there will be good snowfalls down to 800 M. during July 12-14th.

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

9. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It's open to all for skiing. :)

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If this snow falls comes off then skiing into Keppel's hut will become viable next weekend !. I am looking at if and when it hits. If it snows properly on Thursday night cum Friday morning next week then XC skiing the whole resort will be feasible and tempting on Friday July 12th.:):cool::skier::emoji_snowflake::ski:
    I am now getting my kit ready and taking pills to control my excitability ;-P

Simon11 likes this.
  11. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

looking good for the 14th for me... if anyone is there and you see a guy falling aver all the time, gimme a wave LOL

teckel likes this.
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If 19 cms do fall on July 14th then it could be carnage on the roads with numpties sliding off the road everywhere. I would go the day after a big snowfall. If you like groomed trails then the groomers won't be able to keep up with such a snowfall. When that happens some BC XC PB skis with more width for floatation can be useful. Be sure you can get your car off the hill safely. Last winter when it was nuking down the resort staff were screening all cars as they left the car park. If you were driving a 2wd then they ensured you had chains on your wheels or you were not going anywhere.

13. Ubiquitous Steve

Some Melb folk get right into the toboganning vibe but it doesnot do wonders when they try it while driving downhill :p.

14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It is called free form 4 wheel tobogganing. Just apply a nuff nuff , a car …. and brake heavily in high gear on a descending bend covered in snow and ice. ;-P

ARitchie likes this.
  15. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Good info!!

hmmmm, maybe the 16th will be better... if i can wait! :D:cool::cool:. Muppets who have no clue on the road do scare me a bit too. just have to make sure no one is behind me when i set off down the road ;). I've got an AWD subaru too so hopefully i wont be forced to chain up, but safety first if need be.

Not too fussed if the trails are groomed or not as long as there's snow. I just got my first set of skis (cheap rock hoppers i guess), XC BC though. I'm looking forward to trying them out. I got XC BC coz i'm hoping to go both groomed/ungroomed. I was acctually hoping to get enough skiing in so i can develop my skills then ski in to Kepples hut for the night, then ski back. Sometime this winter would have been nice but that might be an ambitious pipe dream for a beginner...:cry:

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Good on you. It could be easier to approach Keppel's hut from Mt. Margaret Gap and walk up/ ski up Lady Talbot Road. Skiing with a heavy pack is something I cannot do no matter where/what the terrain is. Give the Ungroomed hut loop a go first with just a day pack with your lunch and a water bottle & some pattern base de icer or Glide wax etc..
    It has some interesting bits which make the Panorama trail seem like a super highway.
    Keep your eyes out for some Cheap 2nd hand rock hopper classic skinny pattern base XC skis. They should accommodate a NNN BC binding.
    Often BC XC skis at Lake Mtn. can be overkill, like driving a lifted Nissan Patrol with mud tyres down Collins Street in the city centre. However on icy days up there the metal edge is handy.Be sure to ask Felix for a XC ski lesson. He is the man. I still cannot do the "ice hockey " stop . It will take me a while to get to that.

#66 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Simon11 likes this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

http://www.janebunn.net/lake-mountain
    Jeepers, you'd be mad not go to Nordic skiing at LM From Thursday / Friday onwards next week , if this forecast comes true. It looks like snow ma geddon !.Snow camping at Keppel's hut as of Monday July 17th could be a goer esp. coming in from Mt. Margaret road.

#67 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Simon11 likes this.
  18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/snow/
    The Team leader or other BC XC skiers might like to try to XC ski from Mt. Margaret Gap to Keppel's hut during the big snowfall period that is being predicted. The snow level looks like it will drop to 800 M. It may be the time to do it. The entire Circuit road may become skiable at Mt. Stirling with snow falling like that.

19. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

^^^^^^
    You would be wise to add "In My Opinion" to the four or five posts above.
    #justsayin'
    because of this:-"This is the problem with an enthusiastic beginner spraying "advice" all over the place without qualifying it by revealing their inexperience. If the "advice" is not revealed as what it is people may follow it." - Legs Akimbo

teckel likes this.
  20. Ubiquitous Steve

Stansi has a valid point...
    BOM forecast is fir approx 15mm of rain over a three day period leading up to snow falls at Lake Mt...

Team Bears would expect the snow to be trashed by this three days of rain....

Then things start from scratch from Wednesday on....

21. Ubiquitous Steve

Look at the min temps during this snow fall period starting Wednesday ....it’s not forecast to hit zero or drop below for those three days in the forecast period!

So at best some wet snow showers would seem to be on offer!

Enthusiasm is good but we should think logically.

22. Ubiquitous Steve

Compare the above with min temps forecast for Falls Ck....which at best will push just below freezing!

Snow conditions are sketchy for Falls Ck but even more dubious for the lower altitude Lake Mt.

23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I have said in regards to snow predicted to fall as of July 11 th onwards..... that IF IT HAPPENS or words to that effect .Nothing is certain with mother nature.
    A conditional sentence is constructed by using If and is followed by then thus suggesting one thing is only possible on the condition that another also precedes it in succession.
    My over enthusiastic and hyper excitable conjecture about possible real snow actually falling and making XC skiing possible at LM is based on these links in this post.
    https://www.weatherzone.com.au/snow/
    Evidently the med.s I am taking to control my excitability are not working too well .I may have to increase the dosage or just go for a long hard bike ride.
    Ms. Bunn is still sticking with 30 cms plus over the next 10 days so we shall watch and wait and see what happens …….. grasshopper .

#73 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 6, 2019
    D70987 likes this.
  24. Ubiquitous Steve

Maxing out at eight deg C at Lake Mt today and Tomorrow......!:whistle:

Ground warming?;)

25. teckel

I've said it many times. If you're going on a weekend, go early. It's nuts up there today. We had 2 coaches, 13 mini buses, and zillions of cars through before 11am. Many more cars since. It's crazy the numbers up there on the toboggan run. Get to the shop early (we open at 7am on weekends, for good reason). Get your gear and get to the mountain early, and enjoy the uncrowded toboggan run before the masses get there.

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Oh look the Lake Mt wombats have made it through to Mexican country to our north !

D70987 and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  27. Ubiquitous Steve

Those poor children....Management is ripping our youth off!Now that’s a sham !
    Team Bears shake their heads ....I hope Lake Mt looks better than this...

28. Ubiquitous Steve

They look like a penguin colony

29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am glad I went XC skiing at JB Plain last week end . I saw one other person out there on the XC ski trail and there was enough powder snow to ski on.
    http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/lake-mountain.shtml
    BOM are changing their tune towards snow and not r**n later next week...…
    BOM may alter their LM temperature forecasts to a degree or two colder. Ms. Bunn is already predicting negative zero and steady snow falling at LM later next week.

#79 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 6, 2019
  30. teckel

Yes. LM's toboggan run is much better than that. It has a lot of snow on it. It's not a mudslide :)

31. teckel

I had somebody today when they returned their gear, saying they'd go to Buller next time because it was too crowded today at LM. I showed them that pic of Buller's toboggan run. Errr, they said, maybe we'll put up with the crowds at LM! LOL

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  32. Ubiquitous Steve

There in the distance the frontal systems are in western Vicco

33. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes but they are not the low pressure systems we are watching to bring snow.
    They will arrive on Thursday.
    Ms Bunn has revised the forecast through the ever changing automated modelling. This Friday is still the day to XC ski there at LM .The predicted amount of snow has been revised to less for LM but still is predicted to be enough to ski on this Friday with snow falling during the day on Friday to keep the surface fresh

but
    hold the front page , the automated now modelling shows R**n below 1400 M. at LM on Friday afternoon so get there early to get the fresh XC ski cover while it is dry.
    https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Lake-Mountain/6day/mid

Once the snow arrives and all the weather soothsayers are certain it will snow then, then toboggan people can choose from :Mt.Donna Buang; Mt.Stirling's TBJ Toboggan slope(no snow machine at either ); Lake Mtn. and other locations incl. Mt. St. Gwinear which also has a toboggan slope but no snow machine. The last option is free of charge as is Mt. DB.

#83 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  34. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

anyone XC at Mt.Donna Buang anymore? LOL or am i 80 years too late? i'm guessing if it's good at Mt.Donna Buang then it's great at Lake mt., true?

35. teckel

Yes. But if it's good at LM, it can be very shabby at DB. Nothing is groomed at DB, not sure if there's any skiable trails there even.

36. Ubiquitous Steve

Now Team Bears want to know how much a hot chocolate and toasted cheese sandwhich would cost in that cafe?Thats what an average kid needs to know?

Is there WiFi for the kids devices in the Carpark and cafe?:)

Those kids need an advocate so a log of claims can be sorted with Lake Mt Management.
    Those kids need to use their numbers to get a better deal off the resort!
    Perhaps another small scale operation at Mt Margaret to give Lake Mt some competition could be considered ?

37. Ubiquitous Steve

That frontal system is mid way through the west of Vicco now.....

38. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Forget XC skiing at Mt DB. You must be 80 years out of date. I hope there will be enough snow to XC ski on this Friday but how much , I cannot say .
    If it is good at Lake Mtn. then it will be :cool::skier::emoji_snowflake::ski: A M A Z I N G at J.B. Plain to Wire Plain in the Hot Ham to Dinner Plain vicinity. ( Yes that is a good example of a conditional sentence).

Nevertheless I am considering going up there on Friday and I am taking a friend who I have converted to XC skiing for his debut Nordic ski trip for 2019.
    I would take the rock hoppers just in case and have a look at what the cover is like when you get there. Keep in mind there is NO BASE for XC skiing at LM , so we are starting from zero and dealing with rocks, sticks and grass... AGAIN.
    The Nordic ski locations situated higher up in terms of elevation will get some decent snow falls. Any place above 1600 M will finally , we hope and we pray to the grand poohbah of snow falls , bring us some NON Rock hopper Nordic skiing.
    I consider this IMHO, to be worth driving further to ski on. If and I do say If Falls Ck. gets 40 cm over the next 7-9 days then The Heathy spur loop will be worth the trip out there .I hope the Horn Road at Mt. Buffalo will be skiable on Monday week as well as having enough coverage to ski out to Edmondson's hut on Tuesday week from Windy Corner at Falls Ck. .

#88 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  39. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Don't ruin Mt. Margaret Gap by commercializing it and getting all the snow ball throwers piling up there. Imagine what bedlam there would be along that dirt road with logs falling down and nuff nuffs who cannot drive in snow and ice on a black top road. Dog walkers and Back Country skiers heading for Keppel's Hut would have to queue up to get near the locked winter gate at Lady Talbot Drive.

Simon11 likes this.
  40. Ubiquitous Steve

I was thinking along the lines of a mobile doughnut truck and a slightly bigger carparks tops!:D
    Maybe a hill for the kiddies and their Aust standard approved toboggans to play on....if things take off then two doughnut trucks during good weekends !:thumbs:

The competition would do wonders for Lake Mt!:eek:

41. Mister Tee on XC Skis

You can charge them $50 per log that you may have to cut so that they can get out and drive home if one of those naughty trees falls down.I wonder if the RACV go up there?

42. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Ahhh.. lunch time. We brought our lunchboxes and eat in the car. LOL The cafe gets soooo full around 11.30am and all the baby chairs are snatched away by then. Once we ate at the cafe (before baby) both of us got sick, so never again. That's weekend of course. If weekday well, the resort is yours. Unless it's school holidays of course. lol

43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I always BYO food and drink in a day pack for a 5-6 hours of XC skiing anywhere.
    https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Lake-Mountain/6day/mid
    Automated modelling is now showing some minor increase in estimated snowfalls at LM between This Wed. and Fri. coming.

EquatorBunny likes this.
  44. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

I tried bringing it in my backpack but they get cold. I like a warm lunch. lol.
    Team EB is watching the forecast. Thinking of heading up some time next week.

45. teckel

Put a hiking stove & gas in your backpack. Or put warm food in a vacuum flask.

46. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The automated modelling for snowfalls for LM regarding this Friday have weakened their predicted snowfalls :-(. I will wait for the modelling to readjust by tonight or tomorrow once the data becomes clearer with the advancement of the much awaited snow bearing low pressure system.
    I know it goes against my usual weekdays only policy but Sunday, very early , IMHO could be the day to XC ski at LM , not Friday. I am making plans to that effect.

47. teckel

Take no notice of those minimum temps. They pretty much mean nothing. BOM is barely aware of mountains in this part of Vic. The "snow down to" parts of the forecast are far more relevant. It's looking good. :thumbs:

48. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am coming XC skiing at LM but not until early on Sunday. I am bringing a friend who I have converted to my winter religion. We hope to get up there at 0930 before the snow ball throwers start sliding off the road.I am bringing the rock hoppers x 2 as well as a decent pair of planks.
    Ms Bunn's automated modelling forecast has turned a touch more optimistic.

49. Ubiquitous Steve

Appears L.Mt has had a dusting overnight....

Simon11 likes this.
  50. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

seen bunn's 10 day outlook now? snow fall has almost halved to 29cm :eek:
    looks like some might fall over the weekend, but maybe not even enough for the hoppers? then it'll get washed away by R*** only to start all over again later in the week.... hopefully Grasshopper is right about another front around Friday bringing some new falls.

......diiiing to ski :mad:

#100 Simon11, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019