1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Comments Lake Mountain News & Weather Chat

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Ubiquitous Steve, May 30, 2019.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

If things get desperate then just walk around to Keppels ....have a bbq..overnight sleepover and some good wine etc etc.

Then report in for a hamburger with the lot by wood heater at the Igloo Buxton!
    The guy at the igloo is convinced the members of the ski forum are all crazy!;)

Goski and Simon11 like this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

You can do as I did and drive up to JB plain, park for free and ski some fresh tracks between Dinner Plain and Hot Ham. It is not a day trip , but I am planning to repeat the XC ski fix , over 3 nights with snow camping at JB Hut.I am already looking at the calendar and the weather and snow forecast for another trip along those lines. LM , Mt.Stirling and Mt.St.G. are not delivering day trip XC skiing thus far , so If the snow will not come nearer to me then I will go further to the snow.

#102 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  3. Ubiquitous Steve

It’s been snowing...Lake Mt may do well today with that frontal system about to pass through there this morning.

As to road status?
    We better hear from Teckel as to accessibility .....through Black Spur and up to Lake Mt.
    Are there any issues with Vic Rds?

Temps are slightly negative ....

Simon11, EquatorBunny and D70987 like this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am watching to see if there will be enough snow to XC ski on at LM tomorrow . I will decide as of 1630 today. Meanwhile the Mt. Buffalo snow camera is having a ' rest'. TBJ at Mt. Stirling got some good snow judging by their snow camera.
    https://www.ski.com.au/reports/australia/vic/lakemtn/index.html
    The LM Trail condition photos are from a few days ago. The best indicator is whether the car park at LM has snow on it and the rooves of the buildings as seen in the roving panorama camera.

#104 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  5. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

The cams looked promising. Looks like team EB is just going to bite the bullet and go up tomorrow. We'll try to arrive well before 9am to avoid nuff nuffs driving in the Black Spur. lol

6. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

If this continues Monday morning might be good, if the road is open

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  7. Ubiquitous Steve

Let’s hope more falls today!

8. Ubiquitous Steve

360 cam suggests it’s snowing up at Lake Mt!

9. Goski

Goski Addicted

I do hope the LM report gets updated TODAY.
    Malvern East being covered in hail as I type which should mean snow at LM this sfternoon. Buller updated their report at midday and I expect will again this afternoon. That's how to do it! Letting us know what the conditions are in a timely manner. Getting all the family's xc ski gear together for a first ski of the season tomorrow is an effort so we need to know by this arvo if it's worth the packing effort, going to bed early, getting up early and fuelling over 4 hours of driving there and back and paying the gate entry $$. Y'all know the drill. Without a clear view of snow cover on the trails by 5pm we won't bother. I don't think we're alone there. Not confident that the current LM resort management gets that. A live cam on a strategic trail point would be lovely. Regardless, I hope it's snowing up there significantly this afternoon.

10. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Just had hail at yering. Nice

11. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Road closed. Idiot 2WDs without chains coming to grief at Tommys Bend. Or so we've been told. So resort closed for the rest of the day for all incoming vehicles.

Simon11 likes this.
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I do not think the Numero Uno who presently is in charge of Lake Mtn. knows anything about what XC skiers require to ski or how to run a Nordic ski resort . We cannot blame that person for nuffs nuffs out for a weekend drive in snow and ice conditions coming to grief. It is to be expected, I am sorry to say.
    We need 10 cms of snow minimum to ski on, a snow camera to show us the trails in real time and not just some hope that there is enough snow to ski on without any evidence!. I think The Circuit road at Mt. Stirling could be worth the drive for some rock hopping. At least the snow cam at TBJ gives us a real time image!!.
    https://www.mtstirling.com.au/snow-report/
    Look at the up to minute snow report for Mt. Stirling
    14 cms from TBJ to Howqua gap!!!. We are on having game on up there !!!

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mt.Stirling has the goods, 14 cm fresh cover and still snowing along from TBJ , out on the Circuit road to Howqua gap.I am going up on Monday!!!They know how to run a ski resort for Nordic skiers and give out constantly updated information. See the National parks thread for the necessary web links in one post that I made just a moment ago.

14. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

I dont know much about it but I imagine its a tough situation running LM. It needs to make a profit to even exist so good management is crucial to getting that bottom line. Being off the grid only complicates matters. Most of their income seems to come from tobbogganeers so, from a business standpoint, it makes sense that they are their primary focus.

However with xc it seems to be a catch 22... need more people to go skiing to help cover costs to facilitate better trail reporting (weather it be by camera network or in person). By many xc skiers won't make the day-trip without a reasonable, reliable snow report. Until these issues are fully addressed maybe something like bi or tri daily photos will help. Or at the very least taking and showing the snow depth measurement at each photograph.

Idk. Just my 2c.

That being said I'm very appreciative of tackle keeping us up to date with the road status!!

15. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Isn't this the Lake Mtn trip report, conditions and pics thread? Thought I was on the weather predictions thread for the last (lost count) number of pages. Now I am on the Mt. Stirling thread.

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A fair comment from @Simon11 .
    @teckel
    does her best with what facts she can obtain for XC skiers and we thank her for her ongoing assistance. However I want some solid XC skiing and I know where I can get it for sure. So LM won't get my $57 this time around.
    BUT
    Next Friday could be a goer at LM.
    http://www.janebunn.net/lake-mountain

17. Ubiquitous Steve

Have we got any reliable info on snow fall at Lake Mt from 1st hand tourers/visitors ...
    Team Bears expected that falls would have occurred this arvo....not a “vibe”thing...but looking at cam and temp and radar flow....
    It’s a bit more complicated as base was gone ....and we believe there is a groomer problem with Management.
    Teckel seems to be the most reliable source we have in this forum ....

Money outlayed to get up there vs quality of snow and weather and car parking arrangements...
    I think Teckel can give us info to make that decision.:thumbs:

Simon11 likes this.
  18. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Well vic road site is, currently, confirming what Teckel said. Inbound road to LM is closed. They are saying "due to heavy snow fall"

I wonder if the road will be open Monday mornin given the snow falls are expected to increase....I hope so

19. Ubiquitous Steve

Thanks...I have not caught up with that event.

Is there any likelihood that it will open for Sunday....
    or are they just expecting similar conditions to breakout again?

20. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Good question. Fingers crossed!

21. teckel

CHAINS REQUIRED FOR ALL AWD AND 2WD
    TOMORROW (SUNDAY) AT LAKE MOUNTAIN.

This is the first time in over 15 years they've been required for AWDs.

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Such an announcement is promising for XC skiing conditions but consider the Mayhem from a bigger quotient of Nuff Nuffs out for a Sunday slide on their toboggans and then in their cars..... off the road.:eek::confused: I am going to Mt. Stirling on Monday.:cool:

23. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

Do you think there may be enough snow for them to get groomers over?

Im tempted to head up anyway (early and be gone by tome tourista arrive!)

24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

IMHO with no base I would not gamble it. I skied there on June 20th with @chriscross and it was barely skiable with 9 cms. I hit rocks and vegetation and the PB on my skis became caught on the hazards and sent me flying. @Equator Bunny was there too that day and she was not that impressed with the coverage either.At Present Mt. Buffalo has 5 cms= Not skiable. Mt.Stirling 's circuit road has 14 cms :) and still snowing at TBJ. MSG has 6 cms=Not skiable . I am banking on TBJ getting more cover so that the resort at Mt.Stirling might groom it for skaters and Classic PB plodders like me. Falls Ck. should be good on Tuesday once the front has passed and more XC terrain is groomed .

#124 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  25. teckel

I think there will be. It snowed heavily all day today. Some of my skiers went up on the trails and liked what they found, so it should be good. Just get there early.

D70987 and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Fair enough :), don't listen to me , I just like driving long distances to ski , surf and bushwalk in the best available conditions ;-P . Whoever does go for a ski up there ,if they could give us a trip report then that would be fabulous. We are not getting much information from the LM resort. Their trail condition photos are days old , they are not a daily snap shot of the reality on the XC trails. I think next Friday will be an LM XC ski day for me.

Simon11 likes this.
  27. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

Sounds good!

Will take a couple of skis so I’m set depending on if it’s been groomed or not! I’ll update on conditions when I can!

28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Take the Op Shop rock hoppers. Don't muck up your good skis and trash the pattern base if the conditions are marginal. I doubt there will be enough coverage for grooming for skating but who really knows what is going on up there?

29. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I think you’ll find it better than you imagined - thats based on my chat to reception.

But tomorrow is definitely a day for wider BC skis, and plenty of warm clothing, Goretex etc...

And perhaps a snow shovel, tarp and chains of course.

Just hope the road behaves! Low level snow on chains isn't a good outcome for large gum trees!

Mister Tee on XC Skis and D70987 like this.
  30. Peagreenboat

Peagreenboat Addicted

I really wonder if LM/BB read these pages. I feel like they have no idea how people like me/us are making decisions about whether to go. When it is marginal, which it mostly is, esp at LM, it is worth heading up and grabbing it if there's been fall overnight but sometimes you just dont know and even a live cam at 6.30 in the morning is enough to be able to make the call if the rest of the info has been reliable. LM the last years has been much better, compared to BawBaw which is why our $$'s have gone to LM rather than BB, except when BB has had good reliable cover but their reports have been appalling and completely unreliable. Had hoped to get up to LM tomorrow, but from the information it is not encouraging so we've not packed the gear tonight :-(
    Thanks to Teckel though and others for posting, much appreciated for the updates that are given.

31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM needs a soft drink can on a table with a camera trained on it. Their own table o meter snow gauge!

Simon11 likes this.
  32. teckel

Well, it wouldn't be a beer can, as LM has gone dry this year.

33. Mister Tee on XC Skis

What has become of the colourful Felix and his video reports of the LM XC ski conditions? . They were great!. Like Borat on Planks ;-P

34. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

do local residents get an entry discount to LM?

...and how do I get a job there?!?

:D

35. teckel

No. Although ski patrol volunteers get free entry I think. But, I haven't heard boo from ski patrol this year.
    they advertise around about April. It used to be in the local press, but this year was on Seek only, so many locals didn't even know about it. So use ESP.

Simon11 likes this.
  36. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The resort could have told us how deep the snow is at the Snow gauge trail point . They could have told us at 5 pm Last night , But they did n't and now some of us have FOMO!.I am looking at going up to LM this Friday. It should stay cold during week with not too much R**n during the week and the place will less busy on a weekday esp. seeing that school term 3 starts tomorrow.
    http://www.janebunn.net/lake-mountain
    It seems there is finally enough snow for a usable base for XC skiing too.

Simon11 likes this.
  37. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

I hear you Xplora, I think the XC resorts could all do with a (Insert resort) General Chatter thread. Definitely not wanting to dampen anyone's enthusiasm but every time I look in for a report I don't see one.

38. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A fair comment but as of late until now there has not been any snow to XC ski on at most places. We Nordic skiers have had too much time on our hands NOT SKIING.

39. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Mr Tee your enthusiasm inspires a lot of others so don't stop doing what you do. When I had fully functional knees I was similar to yourself, fired up and champing at the bit to get out there. We skied Lake Mountain when it was more about the XC skiing and interestingly the cost for four XC skiers in one car was higher (I've mentioned this elsewhere). We would go on every weekend that there was ski-able snow other than our annual week at Hotham or elsewhere on the Alpine.

40. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I feel I have chosen wisely to wait until a week day to visit LM this coming week , after this most bountiful gift from above: Real Skiable Snow.Meanwhile Mt.Stirling is going from Good to VG at TBJ with the road open and chains being fitted to ALL VEHICLES. That is a good sign for tomorrow's mission.

41. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It is something the mods can look into and I am not having a go at people. If there is nothing to report then report nothing. We don't really need hopecasts and automatic Jane Bunn forecasts every day as there is a pretty good weather forum running already. I guess I was getting sick of getting alerts for posts with no substance.

42. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am sorry to learn of your debacle at LM. I have been noticing many somewhat NQR and sub standard differences at LM and how it is being operated this season compared with the bumper season they had in 2018. I have been three times already this season . I get the feeling that Mt. Stirling's management are far more competent and able to comprehend what things are required to successfully operate a XC ski venue so that patrons go home with a smile on their faces. I will report back from Mt. Stirling tomorrow, Insh`Allah.
    https://www.mtstirling.com.au/snow-report/

Goski likes this.
  43. teckel

Could someone (resort staff or competitor) point me to where I might find the results of the mini series held last weekend and this weekend?

44. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

So the reason why AWD was imposed to have chain fitted. The staff elaborated that yesterday they had (most) AWD went all over the shop driving up and down the road. Fair enough. Can't blame the staff for that but they should see if everyone has fitted their chains on. Some people asked the staff whether their car is 4WD (umm.. it's your car tho.) o_O

45. Luken

Luken One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The car park situation sounds exactly as I would have expected in AU. This was a freak snow fall, no one could have seen it coming... on a weekend no less.. unpossible!...

GS and EquatorBunny like this.
  46. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

True. A perfect recipe for an epic car ride up the mountain.

47. Goski

Goski Addicted

The gate staff were very unprofessional and unhelpful with the AWD chain condition. Vehicles that are clearly AWD including those with only part-time AWD were let through without chains as long as the driver declared their vehicle was 4WD. That is ridiculous and I think the staff would legally be in breach of their duty of care by doing that after the resort posted the "All AWD and 2WD vehicles must fit chains" condition.The few drivers who were honest about their vehicle status were forced to fit unnecessary chains while the rest of the vehicle same class passed them by chainless. This inane, unfair and random approach cost us another 20 minutes of valuable ski time before the wind picked up and it was another bad moment for an already frustrated carload of experienced xc skiers. Lake Mt this year is a bust. It does not deserve my further patronage. The occupants of our car won't be back until it is clear that the resort and staff are able to function appropriately.

48. teckel

I ended up sending a lot of my customers to Mt Margaret today. They all had a ball.

EquatorBunny and Goski like this.
  49. Goski

Goski Addicted

Geez...with Baw Baw and Lake Mt sinking under the weight of mismanagement and no grid power and the weight of masses of snow players and crazy vehicle policies, xc options nearer Melbourne are now down to Gwinear - when the snow level, grooming and weather stars align - and a significantly longer trip to Stirling. With kids'sport on Saturdays a Stirling Sunday gets a bit late home for a family. A family sized heated campervan is becoming attractive to roll up Saturday night and get an early start up Stirling. Like @Mister Tee on XC Skis I'm moving over to the Stirling thread....and the Gwinear thread.

50. Goski

Goski Addicted

Good move. I think snow players would be better served doing their own thing away from LM at the moment when there is snow elsewhere minus the long delays and the entry fee. Some families had their snowplay for an hour while waiting in the static car queue then they turned around and went home. Their little kids were happy to chuck a few snowballs and slide down the road bank. There are possiby spots on the way to Woods Point past the LM turnoff where a lot of fun can be had with a toboggan and hot chocolate and making a snowperson.