1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Comments Lake Mountain News & Weather Chat

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Ubiquitous Steve, May 30, 2019.

1. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

We share the same sentiment Goski. Hubby's question on the way back was : "Our season pass should cover Mt Stirling and Mt Buller right?" :D

Mister Tee on XC Skis and Goski like this.
  2. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

*googling where Mt Margaret is*
    So that I could send my friends to snowplay there instead of LM. lol

3. Goski

Goski Addicted

Problem is they let the drivers decide if their car was AWD or 4WD. That is an abrogation of responsibilty. If the considered view from the resort was that AWDs really needed chains today (even though they did not) then they were in their minds wilfully putting people at risk by letting most of the AWDs through without chains. I saw two 2WDs with now illegal ladder chains on and they were allowed up as well.

4. Goski

Goski Addicted

My thanks to @teckel for letting this community know what you can find out with patchy comms from the LM operation. It must be very frustrating for you when you are working hard to provide great customer service and the big visitor attractor is having trouble delivering. We were going to drop in to see what gear you may be selling for 10-15 year-olds but we ran short of time and energy after a frustrating day.

teckel and Simon11 like this.
  5. Goski

Goski Addicted

6. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The potential problem with Mt Margaret is the idiots who think they don't need chains or aren't interested in how to fit them, despite demos. (I had one today who drove all the way from LM to Narby with chains attached because it was 'too hard' to get them off! :rolleyes: :headbang:). Today I was even kitting out 4WDs to Mt Margaret with chains. So long as people going there take chains seriously, there shouldn't be a problem.

7. Goski

Goski Addicted

All the way from LM to Narbethong with the chains on wouldn't be great for the chains' life. I'd say "astounding" but I'm no longer astounded by what goes on. More visitors = more instances of that behaviour. I do expect more of the LM resort managenent and staff though.

8. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

AWD and 4wd mean the same thing if all four wheels are driving. There is also no legislative distinction between constant four wheel drive or driver engaged 4wd. Someone tell the gate keepers. AWD is an industry term that has come about to describe many of the SUV (another industry term) vehicles. Many vehicles are constant 4wd such as the Toyota Landcruiser range and Land Rovers. These vehicles have additional functions. Some SUV types are constant and others manual or auto engage. I would suggest that if someone is not aware their vehicle is an AWD or 4wd then they are probably better off fitting chains as they clearly do not have much of an idea about snow driving or maybe even normal driving. The object is to keep people safe.

Goski likes this.
  9. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

This may be helpful for Subaru drivers. https://www.subaru.com.au/car-advic...BSKgFiMTgbr7GdpujLMqIDyHHvhsp6xQA8W3ZmQuxLJo4

10. bigmak

bigmak Hard Yards

I note that the resort is not packing down the trails which is a shame. They are going to loose the base if not careful. Is it true that have machine issues as I know this is not new issue as it’s happened in the past.
    It seems unfortunate the change in reporting the ski trail conditions this year as it does make it hard to decide if worth venturing up. Even calling contacts in Marysville is little help as there is limited info coming back to businesses.
    As some on who has skied on and off there for the bast 30 odd years it is a shame it deteriorating year on year. Whilst I am happy to persist and glad I didn’t venture up yesterday it does show that the resort is focused on the snow play dollar.
    I note that by all accounts they have made a small loop with man made snow yet not communicated it on their website either.
    Have to say the work experience kid has put their website together as it contains limited useful information

11. Goski

Goski Addicted

@Xplora do you want to send the nicely written words above to LM and to Baw Baw? Both resorts' staff poorly administer illogical and ignorant chain and vehicle access policies. AWDs are treated like 2WDs but arbitrarily. The Kluger I was a passenger in could lock the drivetrain into 4WD and it had a snow traction mode and brand new Pirelli all terrain tyres but we were forced to fit chains. Meanwhile BMWs with wide highway tread tyres (wider is not better for getting grip in snow) and klugers and outlanders and subarus got to merrily drive past us with no chains. Similar things happen at Baw Baw where the staff are also clueless and inconsistent with their arbitrary directions. Being made to put chains on our Forester to drive through 2cm of slush last year was a pain.

12. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This is the reason we need (demand) stakeholders meetings at seasons end to vent frustrations to management/board & Minister/ Delwp.

The old ‘she’ll be right mate’ wont cut it.

Not this year - Bawbs too!

Note: many of us lost Buffalo ~ 15 years ago & I sense Gwinny is going the same way (obviously no lifts to lose!)

13. bigmak

bigmak Hard Yards

I lobbied prob at least 10 years ago when I had a seasons pass for both car and trails. Got limited responses then and I expect to get less now. I get the economy of it, however there should be equal accessibility for both skiers and snow play. There is still a strong and small dc community and plenty of young kids interested in the sport. To be honest now I look towards taking my young family to DP and accessing local trails there and Hotham.
    To be honest there are plenty of resorts I have skied OS that demonstrate if you put in the infrastructure and commitment people use the resorts. It’s a shame that communication is so poor.
    As for demanding access to those in spring street I see little benefit, this is a private organisation who have a lease and choose to focus on revenue opportunities. The bat back will be prompt.
    Buffalo is a lost opportunity. I was up there late April and am so surprised that the chalet remains closed. Given the growth in tourism to the surrounding Valleys it’s a potential gold mine. Obviously the damage from successive fires damage the lift infrastructure but even so still a opportunity.
    My few cents

14. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

What are you referring to here? LM is totally run by the government appointed board and its employees. No private organisation involved. If you're unhappy, by all means, take your complaints to the minister. He/she can't shrug them off because the government is just one level removed from management.

15. Xplora

Done. So is it possible to create a sticky thread for Lake Mountain news and chat so this sort of stuff can be taken out of trip reports and conditions? Same for Baw Baw please. @Richard

nezumi likes this.
  16. bigmak

bigmak Hard Yards

My understanding is that Belgravia manage the resort and therefore is a private entity on contract.

17. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

You're behind the times, Belgravia is long gone, back to the government as teckel has said.

teckel likes this.
  18. Xplora

Now there is a proper thread for this I will elaborate. This morning I sent off an email to the board indicating the legislative requirements and explaining the need for it to train the staff up. See if it gets anything done but what I can tell you is that the person at the ticket office must be an authorised officer or a Police officer to make a demand of you to fit chains. This comes from regulation 55 of the ARM regs. If not then tell them to go jump. I can't imagine these people are anything more than normal staff but I made that enquiry also. If by chance someone in an AWD gets a ticket when chains are not required for AWD or four wheel drive then a simple letter should get them off. I cannot imagine anyone with the authority to write an infringement will not be aware of what I have said above so it is unlikely you would be given a ticket. Now if you are given a direction by an authorised officer or Police officer to do something which is covered by the regulations and you do not comply then that is a different offence. In this case I would save the argument and fit chains.

Goski likes this.
  19. snowgum

Perhaps resort expects the ice could have a 20 tonne tree attached?

20. Goski

Goski Addicted

Thanks. Very good to know about reg 55. Think I'll find it, read it and then print out and laminate a copy for each of our cars.

21. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

I would have thought that they are an 'authorised officer' because they are working under the direction of resort management.

22. Goski

Goski Addicted

23. Goski

Goski Addicted

classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/arr2009371/s4.html
    Has the definition of an authorised officer. Regardless, the behaviour of the gate staff was a mix of ignorance, irresponsibilty, illogic, disregard for safety and in my party's case, arbitrarily punitive.if they are authorised officers they should be stripped of that status. I've asked Vic Police if authorised officers need to carry proof of that status. Waiting for a reply. I will ask the person next time if they are an authorised officer as per the definition. I think I'll get a bewildered look in response. I think the parking officers at the major resorts would be a differrnt story. I expect they will be duly authorised and have appropriate ID.

24. Goski

Goski Addicted

Link to regulation 55 and the content of reg 55.

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/arr2009371/s55.html

ALPINE RESORTS (MANAGEMENT) REGULATIONS 2009 - REG 55
    Use of wheel chains on vehicles
    r. 55

(1) The driver of a vehicle who enters an alpine resort must at all times during the snow season, carry in their vehicle wheel chains suitable to be properly fitted to that vehicle.

Penalty: 20 penalty units.

(2) An authorised officer or member of the force may, at any time during the snow season, for reasons of safety or for the control or protection of an alpine resort, direct the driver of a vehicle—

(a) to produce wheel chains suitable to be properly fitted to that vehicle; or

(b) to ensure that wheel chains are properly fitted to the drive wheels of that vehicle or, in the case of a four wheel drive vehicle, to either the front or rear wheels of that vehicle; or

(c) if the person fails to comply with subregulations (2)(a) or (2)(b), to leave the alpine resort.

(3) The driver of a vehicle entering or in an alpine resort must comply with a direction of an authorised officer or member of the force made under subregulation (2).

Penalty: 20 penalty units.

25. Goski

Goski Addicted

Please note that I have no problem with being directed to fit chains by an authorised officer when it is warranted. I've driven 4WD subarus, landcruisers and pajeros and various 2WDs in snow, ice-prone, mud and slush conditions. I've had two scary slides on black ice and one hard packed snow in the 30 years I've been driving in winter conditions when chains were not on. If the risk is there I'll be going nice and slow if there is any doubt and be putting on chains when indicated before we have another slide. The ice incidents were both below the snowline. One was on the bitumen road near Arthurs Pass in NZ. One was on the approach to Mt St Gwinear not far past Rawson. The snow slide was coming out of Falls Creek near the top of the road at slow speed. Once traction is lost......is hard to recover!
    I do however have a problem with clueless (I'm guessing they are untrained and unauthorised) resort staff paying lip service to safety and randomly asking a few vehicles to fit chains while allowing many other equally or less capable vehicles to proceed up the same road minus chains. The staff also allowing 2WDs to use obsolete and unsafe ladder chains puts everyone else at risk if chains are really needed.
    That's all I'll write about LM for now. With enough snow in the "real" ski resort areas we will aim to go to those instead.
    The dire tree situation at LM is good enough reason for my family to not contemplate another xc ski there this season. Hope that can be addressed.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  26. Xplora

@Goski, you are learning fast.
    What she said, plus, if you understand a Police officer is empowered under every State Act of Parliament then an authorised officer is given powers under specific Acts and only them. Essentially they can carry out the role of a Police officer within those Acts and regulations. Now would that power be handed out to every employee? Certainly not. Parking officers would have this power. A ticket collector? I somehow doubt it. All Police and authorised officers will be issued with identification and it must be produced on request. Some relevant training is also required prior to being authorised.

27. Goski

Goski Addicted

Thanks @Xplora . It is worth learning some regs so as to not put up with being intimidated by someone into wasting my time and effort on their untrained and unauthorised whim. On the other hand I've found some parking officers to be very helpful with advice on how to avoid fines. It helps to be calm and courteous as I initially was with the LM staff but their inane responses tested that. I had to walk away.

#177 Goski, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  28. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Friday (tomorrow) is looking good, weather wise

29. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Confirmed, tomorrow is a go!

will post the trail conditions board as early in the day as i can for others to see.

30. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Tell them at the ticket office that XCountry Skiers are not happy that a trail report is not shown on their web page....Their so called top quality x country resort is not living up to the propaganda of its home page!
    Please ask them to pass on complaint to management team!

Have a good day....we look forward to your trip/trail report!

31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Ms. Bunn says that in her opinion next Tuesday will bring a lot of snow falling down to 1200 M ASL to all XC ski resorts/locations including LM. If LM cannot get the upper trails reopened before the next major snowfall then what happens?.
    http://www.janebunn.net/lake-mountain

I am planning a Mt. Stirling trip next Wed.. That is what happens.

32. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I posted a reply furnished to me by The head of LM Snow Sports Management. I posted the reply here , the reply that I received from him via e mail verbatim. The Person who wrote the reply was not impressed and took umbrage on an industrial scale and complained to the senior moderators about what I had done. I apologized to him for doing that without his permission and I said I was contrite .Forum Moderators had to pull the post down/ remove the text from this thread.
    In a nut shell what he said was:
    (1) that XC skiers do matter to LM and they make up a good chunk of the income that the resort generates
    (2) The powers that be at LM have been giving the dead trees that look dodgy the el choppo all summer.However not all of them can be cut down because it is a Nat. park , there are too many of them and co ordinating such a task involves co operation with DEWLP and Parks Vic. who are slow to respond.
    (3)Regarding the lack of live web cameras which were working fine last year , he mentioned the power grid or the lack of it and the lack of mob. phone coverage.
    (4). He said AWD cars are not safe on ice unless they have chains fitted properly . AWD drive trains in horseless carriages are not automatically safe on snow and ice , even if the driver is experienced in driving in snow and ice conditions.
    (5) He is/was a professional XC ski competitor for the UK who resides in the EU Alps in their white season and rates LM as being as good as any EU XC ski venue , on a good day, that is .
    (6) The upper ski trails will reopen soon once the chopping of dead trees has been done i.e. within a few days from today.
    I asked to Moderators to reach out to this helpful but now testy individual because many of us are bewildered as to what a strange change has come over LM this winter and we simply want to be told about everything in detail on the website DAILY. Yes, trail by trail snow depth, snow conditions, grooming updates, the whole caboodle.
    If Mt. Stirling can do it then why can't LM do it?
    Personally I think LM has gone to the dogs this year ( woof !) and it seems to be that they are unable to even run a bath .Therefore longer driving times to better managed locations are worth the effort for me , especially if I want my $60 or so clams to give me what I want in Nordic Skiing with no complaints or qualms at all.
    So there it is .

#182 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  33. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We should consider appt of moondog :pin a motorised home up at Mt Margaret Gap ....setting up an alternative ski venue to Lake Mt perhaps?

I do feel a bit of competition may be good for its geographical neighbour!:whistle:

34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

With a suitable low dump of snow , such as the one coming this Tuesday , it could be feasible to ski on your rock hoppers from Mt. Margaret Gap to Keppel's Hut and out along McFadyen's track. Mc Fadyen's track, which starts just past Keppel's hut sits at just a hair above 1300 M ASL. With enough of an early start, kicker skins for the steepish uphill sections on the approach up Keppel's hut track , and the right fitness and classic technique, it could be an interesting day tour. The route has appeal . I may even test it out myself this season :) .

35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Simon11 likes this.
  36. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Thursday or Saturday is looking good

37. snowgum

Gee isn't it sad! Here we are with skiable snow, mid season, not overly awful weather, and many of the old timers and 'keen youngsters' feel forced to go to a un-patrolled, un-groomed, un-cafe'd mountain with an unploughed gravel road.

I'm not sure senior managers, board, the ARCC nor the Minister would have seen this coming. Not after all the money and love thrown at the hill post fire (09').

???

38. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes, you are right. Some of us are looking for other options for day trips from Melbourne for Nordic Skiing.

39. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

NOTE, this is NOT a complaint. more of a suggestion/observation. I appreciate everything LM is dong to keep it skiable... so i'm not trying to say that LM isn't doing their best, i'm sure they are. That being said i feel there is slight room for improvement here and there, in this post specifically i want to address their website. Posting a pic of the trail board each day would be a huge helpful start. but also making the font for daily notices a little bigger. e.g. from this...

[​IMG]

to this...

[​IMG]

i know its only a little thing, but why wouldn't you?

Attached Files:

#189 Simon11, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  40. snowgum

In lake Mountain's defence, in my brief discussions via phone and last weekend in person, I have to Say I'm pretty impressed at the levels of enthusiasm and care so far.

I'd suggest a lot of the issues are caused or worsened by decisions at the top of the tree. But saff would be Azur

41. snowgum

Er sorry, that Last serene should end: but would be for to defend.

42. Xplora

Breach of copyright? At least we know they are reading the comments. I didn't see the response before it was taken down so can't really comment but I probably would not have posted it myself. Was your letter to him posted and taken down? To be fair it probably should have been. Your summary is sufficient anyway. Constructive and respectful suggestions may get attention so don't stop posting them.
    This can be true so why then do they allow them to drive without chains? Because they are safer than 2wd if the conditions are suitable. It is LM management that set this condition. Wait for the over-reaction now where chains have to be fitted to all vehicles all the time (at least when there is snow and ice).
    Because they do not want people to know how bad things are when there is not enough snow or trails are closed. Would rather take the gate entry then tell them.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  43. snowgum

M
    Separating snow play from skiers?
    One idea I have is for the resort to further develop the Snowy Hill and Arnold Gap snow play facilities.

This is where I admit that I haven't been inside the buildings at these two locations - I think they're just simple shelters and toilets etc...

But what about if these facilities were upgraded, enlarged and perhaps small Cafes added?

The next step would be for the resort to charge differential pricing: charging more the higher you go.

But, if the snow is good (hence higher nos.) many snow players would not need to head up to the top and may prefer to save a few dollars and quite a bit of driving. They could also play and park closer to facilities than for Gerratys - another plus if one has very small children.

So rates?: charge full amount at top ($57); $30 at Snow Hill and $20 at Arnold Gap.

If the pointy pencils at Spring St dislike losing revenue (although they are every time the resort 'fills') - rejig to say $65, $45 and $25 - there has to be quite a difference or everyone will go to the top.

Would need to colour code each area and reflect this on the pass /ticket. Would need very good signage to work - multilingual too! - something Australia is generally very poor at doing.

This scheme would also need some well-targeted marketing and promotion:

Ie. 'Save money on you next trip to Lake Mtn by....' Yarda....

We're all frustrated. But we need some plans and action to change things. Complainants alone gets attention but we need a next step.... I.e. What LM looks like in 10 to 20 years. (If it still snows that is!!)

Also: I reckon if one has the confidence/loyalty they deserve to nab a place in the top car parks. Not sure how they can set aside but pick a number (20/50?) should be set aside for Season Pass holders.

These pass holders are most likely skiers, so this would act as quite an incentive to buy one and get on the trails early. - unlike the current situation. I also think if you've paid, what $250 or so in advance, you shouldn't have to race up the hill like a madman to beat the day-visiting hoardes! Feel free to disagree on this one!

Of course if LM management hold a stakeholder meeting or 2/3, after season's end, we can discuss in person like real people with faces and everything! Much nicer talking to real people, real faces etc....

Any thoughts folks?

44. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A season early pass at LM is now the equivalent cost of 4 separate day trips i.e. 57 clams x 4.
    Skiers are the ones who usually buy these early e.g. before the end of May . It is a roll of the dice because we don't know what the season will be like in terms of snow or who is managing/mismanaging the place.

The staggered differentiated fees, parking status and decentralization of snow players' facilities and attractions is a good idea.

At Mt. Stirling at TBJ on a busy day Snow campers with XC skis get the best parking places. That is my experience. The staff direct such patrons to areas that are set aside for such overnight parking.
    The Staff at Mirimbah toll booth sometimes redirect snow players to from Mt. Buller to Mt. Stirling when Mt. Buller's parking is squeezed out. This is something Mt. Buller's management should promote much more to snow players so that skiers and snow boarders get first choice for parking at the lifted resort that is Mt. Buller.
    People who have never seen snow in their lives have heard of Mt. Buller so the publicity about that hill has worked.
    Next to nobody in the big smoke has heard of Mt. Stirling unless they are XC skiers.
    Many new Australians from the Indian sub continent visit the snow for the day to throw snow balls at each other but not to learn to ski .
    Baw Baw and Buller advertise in Hindi language on the SBS FM Radio Hindi programme. This is clever marketing and only Hindi speakers ( I am one such person ) can understand the targeted advertising . LM could undertake such a marketing scheme in Languages other than English.
    I can help them with that in Hindi and in Urdu .SBS have a multilingual advertising department where your business can be promoted in community languages.

Mr. Alan Eason , head of snow sports management at LM has invited me to visit LM and talk with him in person at LM .
    I will try to take him up on his cordial invitation. I am not being critical for the sake of it. Next time I ski at LM I will contact him before I pack the car.

As @Ubiquitous Steve pointed out we all want to help LM get the train back on the tracks as much as possible. The reasons for this are many and one of the best ones are that it is so close to Melbourne and when the snow is good and the Blue and Black runs are open and groomed it is a great place to XC ski and/ or learn to XC ski.
    Nordic skiing in its many forms is a little known sport in Ozstriya but places such as LM could help grow it for people aged 7 to 87 if it was promoted the right way.

While I did publish his e mail reply to my queries about the XC Ski/management situation this ski season at LM on this forum without his permission I have removed the post or the moderators did and I have apologized to him profusely . I have summarized his thoughts on a range of matters.
    I do think he is being as helpful as he can but a meeting between his good self and the true Numero Uno at LM with all long term XC ski patrons at the conclusion of the 2019 season is a good idea, including businesses that depend on snow based patrons passing through Narbethong and Marysville and that includes @teckel .
    I think he is doing the best he can. As @snowgum pointed out the baffling or inexplicable management decisions that impinge upon rusted on skiing patrons of LM are coming from the top of the food chain . Since there is a new Numero Uno at LM this year I deduce that the new broom is not that experienced at operating a snow play / Nordic skiing based enterprise.

#194 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  45. Goski

Goski Addicted

Marketting in other languages etc to get even more clueless snowplayers who don't bother to learn about snow-driving or trail etiquette to flock to LM would only make the current issues with driving and overcrowding worse. That has negatively impacted Baw Baw in the last couple of years making the runs and road less safe to be on with the target customers trying to ski with no lesson and running off the roads.
    The LM resort is unable to function properly on weekends as it is.
    LM was at its peak for skiing and snowplay before the newer buildings were built. Those assets have made the site too attractive for non-skiers who can, now that the bistro allows BYO catering, set up for the day inside in large groups. When there was just an unheated shelter with toilets, you had to either go and ski to stay warm and/or snowplay until the kids got tired and were getting cold then go home. There would then be car space for afternoon skiers to roll up and ski without waiting at the gate until 2pm or so.

46. Mister Tee on XC Skis

@Goski :Your points are all very true but with the correctly worded statements in Languages other than English both the notion of learning to XC ski and how to fit chains correctly and drive cautiously and safely in ice and snow could be better promoted, promulgated and communicated to all resort users.
    The concept of snow ball throwers being given different parking areas the way Falls Creek 's Windy Corner Nordic ski centre has dedicated day parking for XC skiers already allotted is well worth exploring .It could be executed well in white season 2020 if the right people got on board and made a mission out of it.

@teckel is doing her best to send some of the snow ball throwers up to Mt. Margret gap (without chainsaw training &/or snow , ice and slush mud driver training) so we can all help this matter develop in a positive way if we can.

In terms of the web site at LM being more informative on a daily basis I do think the trail by trail report format that Mt. Stirling is using now on its website and the XC ski report on the Falls Creek Website are both very good and should be an example that LM could
    learn from. It is a still quite a drive to LM from Melb. esp. if you don't live in the NE suburbs the way I do. Indeed we skiers want to know in an accurate and daily up to date way if that journey is warranted or whether it is just spin/ BS to get us to part with $57.

47. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

I wish it was true, but there is no dedicated parking area for XC skiers at Windy Corner.

48. Mister Tee on XC Skis

When I park at Windy corner right in front of the Nordic Ski centre there I have seemed to have misapprehended the notion that such day parking is/ was/ might be just for XC skiers. However I have noticed tobogganites using the same car park.

49. snowgum

From long but poor memory, the parking dudes used to ask what your category of parking; Alpine Day or ON, XC etc...

It mostly seemed to work in late 80s & the 90s. But at at extreme peaks - not so sure.

Not much though sending alpiners to WC unless all else is full.

50. Mister Tee on XC Skis

At Falls Ck. there are still attendants funnelling cars to the right parking areas. I XC ski there up to 4 times per season and that has been the case for the past 2-3 seasons.