1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Comments Lake Mountain News & Weather Chat

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Ubiquitous Steve, May 30, 2019.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Management activities should not be taken lightly!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

3. Snowplowqueen

Snowplowqueen Hard Yards

Unfortunately this mornings snow report didn’t get me out of bed- all packed and ready to go!
    “All trails closed” didn’t sound like much skiing! Hopefully opens up

Attached Files:

4. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

4 trails opened. Wollybutt, Snowgum, Panorama and Triangle loop.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If this substantial predicted snow fall happens on Tuesday across the Vic. Alps then by Friday we will know what the deal is at LM. It could be worth a trip to LM on Friday.
    I am willing to get behind that plan.

http://www.janebunn.net/lake-mountain
    I know for a fact that Mt. Stirling will have all systems go on Wed. ,The approach road will be ploughed and open and all trails will be groomed or staff will be in the process of grooming them and their web cams and on line trail reports will be up to date : guaranteed. I am there , I have left , I can't hear you !

Simon11 likes this.
  6. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

...Stirling groomed in fresh snow? Sounds great, just like Grandma used to make, ( ;-D

7. Ubiquitous Steve

What is Stirlings Management Structure....are they associated with Mt Buller or totally independent .
    Team Bears are wondering why they are gettting the job done with great proficiency ?

I am wondering why some organisations are floundering but others are successful in delivery?

8. snowgum

Yes Steve part of the same Buller ARC structure. It's actually the MtBMtSARC or similar? So fair to say more money and resources/experience from the bigger resort.

Not to be taken as a critisism of LM: Once or twice volunteered for environmental work on Stirling - about 15 yrs ago. They were great people to work with and passionate about environmental matters, protecting fauna, etc... Haven't seen any recent pops to volunteer lately though. I think insurance is the killer!!

Oh a case in point: What other mainland mountain has installed hydro electric power to reduce diesel consumption? Plus 'new' hut/shelters installed to actually encourage 'BC' visitation? Imagine that? Not just paying your dosh, rushing like fools through crowds for 2-3 hours, then swished out the door with the throngs??

Oops, rambling again! :)-O). ??

Thinking aloud; Maybe LM need a summer works volunteers group to start involving 'the people'?
    There's enough here who would help, given decent notice?

Mr T. I wonder if this aspect is worth discussing with Alan and other managers?

9. djam

djam One of Us

Yes, Buller RMB are also the same team looking after Stirling.
    Buller visitors/ratepayers do subsidize the Stirling.

10. Ubiquitous Steve

Oh...one more question.
    Is the Stirling Area in the National Park Or is it totally within a Resort Boundary .
    And is that the reason why rebuilt huts/shelters were more easily considered?
    Oh...and the cost of a day visit or overnight stay at Stirlings Telephone Box Junction?

11. djam

djam One of Us

12. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Six posts on this page talking about Buller and Stirling (seven including this one). I thought this was about LM. LM must stand for Lack of Moderating.

teckel likes this.
  13. Ubiquitous Steve

Xplora has a point....but it is useful for us to try to understand the different management situation between these two resorts.Relevant because of the “problems”encounted so far this season at Lake Mt.

We are contrasting the management situation with a view to understand the problems facing Lake Mt?

djam likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes we are comparing how other XC ski resorts are managed in relation to LM. The Team leader would enjoy staying overnight/snow camping at Mt. Stirling. Nearly all the huts on the hill are restocked with fire wood, all ski season and that is part of the many services provided by the resort included in the entry fee.

#214 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    djam likes this.
  15. Xplora

I see this and most of the other posts as an opportunity to promote Stirling over LM because people are not happy with LM at the moment. I Certainly do not have any problems with people pointing out the problems with LM. Seems little comparative analysis in posts like this though. LM is not Stirling. Totally different so you are comparing apples with oranges.

16. Ubiquitous Steve

However Lake Mt is spruiking itself as a premier XC resort ...so we expect it to meet that standard..
    So with its failings ...we must ask what is happening ...it’s fair enough to compare it to another competitor....
    We all want Lake Mt to meet our expectations of a leading resort ...perhaps Stirling can help with some managerial exoertise if that is required from the new management group there.

Management of ski trails is not unique to Lake Mt nor are their problems with falling timber and parking directives.
    Everybody posting wants Lake Mt to be successful ....even Team Bears were involved in promoting and clearing the Keppels Hut Track leading up to Hut Track (close by Boundary Hut Ruins).

Perhaps moderators need to consider a “Mt Stirling” site in this forum as it has become so popular of late!

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I Think a VIC . NORDIC SKI CHAT thread would be useful.
    If Moderators could consider that then the LM chat thread and conditions and reports thread can both be less blighted by all this "Other XC ski places do it better etc blah blah blah " type postings.

18. Ubiquitous Steve

19. snowgum

Just moderate moderation! ( l;-/)

20. snowgum

Fair call Djam but they are a pigeon pair and with the long summer season, and the common attractions of walking, mountain biking and day 4wd ing - one can add that the attractions of Mt Stirling bring considerable visitation that may not occur if Buller was just 'one mountain'.

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Wed. week according to the modelling could be a good day for fresh snow at LM but then again maybe not. The modelling keeps changing like the weather.

#221 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  22. djam

djam One of Us

That maybe so, but they collect no money over summer, it runs at a loss to the RMB, Winter visitors pay for summer.
    Stirling has a huge summer visitation. Which includes some people using vehicles to break locked gates and other damage sadly. These people cover their number plates, so the cameras can't record them. The southern resorts (Baw Baw and Lake Mountain) last year recorded $6.2 million in Government funding just to cover running costs, Buller got Zero.

23. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

seen the snow currently falling? ...I'm getting excited :cool::D:skier:

24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

https://www.lakemountainresort.com.au/trail-conditions/
    Yes there is snow in the carpark and on the rooves of the buildings. By tomorrow at noon we can assess the total snow fall and see if they bother grooming it , if it is sufficient to warrant such work.
    Ms. Bunn now according to her automated modelling predicts no more than 8 cm of snow tonight. That is not enough to ski on ... so we will wait and see.

#224 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  25. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

I can confirm that a large storm cell has just passed through the yarra valley near coldstream heading over healesville and beyond. It brought a very heavy downpour of rain with it.

This may be neither here nor there however as it was preceded by gale force winds. If they hit LM it may mean some trails will be closed again.... hopefully not.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  26. teckel

Oh no! It's 1.7 deg at LM atm :(

27. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Yup. It's not looking good

28. teckel

Now there's a tree down apparently, blocking access to the resort. It doesn't say when they expect it to be cleared. Can't seem to win this year. :(

29. teckel

Tree is cleared. Resort open :)

30. Ubiquitous Steve

I swear Lake Mt Resort has an effigy of Mr T on their Facebook page!
    Check this out everybody.

31. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

looking at their trail conditions page specifically the "scenic" photo. If that image is correct then looks like Royston trail is still closed, but Panorama and Long heath are still open.

32. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Is it worth getting up there to ski anytime this week?

33. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

tomorrow looks good if you want to make the most of the 5cm that's fallen.

Friday might be ok too if the rain holds off till the afternoon, but with all the rain that's predicted, its not looking good from friday onward until more snow comes.

at least thats how i see it

34. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Thanks. We might attempt to ski tomorrow. See how the trails are like ourselves. I think this year is just sooo hit and miss. Last 2 years have been amazing.

35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It cannot be a likeness of me. I am only ever seen in mirror reflector aviator sunglasses.

#235 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  36. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM is having an off year for snow. Mt. Stirling is having a bit of hit and miss too. Mt.St.G. has not tempted me yet either. Mt. Buffalo is a non event too.
    I am going to ski at Falls on Tuesday and really get some kms under my planks. Maybe out to Wallace's hut and back would do it? .

EquatorBunny and Simon11 like this.
  37. weerab

weerab One of Us

I skiid out to Wallace's today, it was wonderful except for wind scoured icy conditions near Langfords. It was sublime leaving the bhp and skiing thru the trees. I saw a group of 5 and that was it. Yesterday was different story skiing in the rain and sleet, horrible but quite good snow!

38. Ubiquitous Steve

Weerab u must use the new wood heater at Langford Gap....fire it up on your outward bound leg....Hut cosy on return befire u battle around Rocky Valley and over the Dam Wall....it needs to be utilised to keep Team Bears happy!

39. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

Well in light of EB's assessment of the conditions i might go early tomorrow morning for a skate (if i can get my bones out of bed :p)... not expecting much as far as trails go. will report

40. weerab

weerab One of Us

Sorry should have checked it out but skiid right past. Popped in last year for lunch and photos and it was pretty...,.basic!

41. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I will take fire lighters and some kindling & a few briquettes in my pack and test it out.

#241 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  42. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

What happened to the snow? Where's the snow?

43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A forum member has just reported that XC ski trails in the Hot Ham and cheese on rye bread area are all in good order with groomed full coverage and soft forgiving surfaces. I am skiing the JB Hut to Wire Plain route on Tuesday week. I am skiing the BHP from Windy Corner possibly to Wallace's Hut and back on this Tuesday.
    So when the XC ski season is poor for the lower elevation resorts and smaller locations one must go to the snow if the snow will not come to you.
    The Upper Mountain at Mt. Stirling has snow from 1450-1500 M upwards but skiing terrain can be challenging esp. if it is icy.
    If you go to Mt. Stirling then take kicker skins and be prepared to walk a bit up the hill get to skiable snow.

My experience/ IMHO, is that the Blue Runs at Lake Mtn. are much easier to ski on than the Blue runs at Mt. Stirling are. The Race Loop at Mt. Stirling is steeper than anything on the Jubilee Trail at LM.

On the weather thread the weather boffins are looking at possible snow falls coming on August 4-8 th but I will believe that when I see it!. Others are postulating that Aug. 11th will be the date for some fresh snow but that is so far off that it is merely a day dream.

44. teckel

A poor winter :(

45. Xplora

Not the best anywhere but certainly not made better for business owners by the continuing reports of conditions at other resorts. I hope the punters are not reading them. This is not the place for that. I am sure your business is being impacted by the conditions but I doubt you would be telling people to shop elsewhere. It is not over yet and hopefully the 'negative Nancy's' will eat their words.

Make your comments about Stirling and BHP elsewhere please.

teckel likes this.
  46. Ubiquitous Steve

But u must keep up the vibe regardless or Richard will come down again.
    Everything good...no problems plentiful snow !

Huge snowfalls are comming!
    Team Bears reestablishing the vibe.....Team Bears distributing mugs for Forum Members.
    Stay focused .....yep Xplora speaks truth:whistle:.......no “Nancy boys” everybody vibing for a second comming of the white flakes .....seasons not done to the “Fat Lady Sings”

47. Ubiquitous Steve

Ideal conditions for snow play !Bit more enthusiasm from the forum !
    Free hot chocolatesfor any body called Nancy!

48. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I wish I could share The Team Leader's enthusiasm but I am XC skiing where the SNOW is not where the vibe is . So I am going to Falls Ck. this week and JB Plain the week after until we get a mid August snow fall that will be worth the trip to LM for XC skiing.

49. Xplora

@teckel He blocks me out so perhaps you should have a word in his ear. He is not doing you any favours. Hope things pick up for you soon. You and I have our differing views on various things but I would never want to cause you business harm.

teckel likes this.
  50. Ubiquitous Steve

One cannot deny the snow report....Fair. Ten cm natural depth ,no chains required temp about two degs Celsius positive.Let the vibe carry the day....burghers at Igloo taste just as good regardless of snow report!