1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Comments Lake Mountain News & Weather Chat

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Ubiquitous Steve, May 30, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Forecast for the rest of Friday
    Summary
    [​IMG]
    Heavy snow. Windy.
    Chance of any rain: 95% [​IMG]
    North Central area
    Mostly cloudy. Medium (60%) chance of showers, with gusty winds and possible hail. Snow possible above 1100 metres. Winds westerly 25 to 35 km/h.

Sun protection not recommended, UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Saturday 2 May
    Summary
    [​IMG]
    Min -1
    Max 2
    Snow showers. Windy.
    Possible rainfall: 8 to 25 mm
    Chance of any rain: 90% [​IMG]
    North Central area
    Mostly cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers in the east, medium (40%) chance elsewhere. Snow falling above 1200 metres. Winds westerly 25 to 40 km/h turning southwesterly in the late morning. Overnight temperatures falling to around 5 with daytime temperatures reaching between 8 and 12.

Sun protection recommended from 11:10 am to 1:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 3 [Moderate]

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If you could get out to Young's hut via Brandy Creek fire trail and Paling spur then that South side of the BHP holds snow better and would offer some May XC BC touring. However there is warmer weather coming and it will most likely all melt.

3. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not necessarily disagreeing T, I agree with the south facing trails thing, like some of the aqueduct trails.

But I reckon the Mt Nelse ‘ridge’ and the adjoining E-W ridge heading towards Spion Kooje would keep snow the best - at least in terms of touring touring snow.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  4. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I'm vaguely aware of a couple of people who skied yesterday - not on the mountain, but on nearby tracks ;)

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

snowgum and teckel like this.
  6. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Good effort by your friend, Mr T. I hope it was worth the effort, for him. Snow looks a bit dodgy at that elevation. The off chance of a $1600 fine did not deter your enthusiastic chum, I gather. Hoping to get into it before too long. Pics from Buller and DP are a bit hard to take when one is stuck at home.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If LM was open today then we would be skiing there today. The web cams look great with complete cover and some sunshine. It is like the big fish that got away or the Stem Christie turn that happened in the snowy forest while a tree fell , Grass hopper. Was there a sound if no one heard the tree fall or the skier turn?

teckel and snowgum like this.
  8. snowgum

if there no one there to fine you is it illegal?

Mister Tee on XC Skis and teckel like this.
  9. teckel

I'm sure there was. Think staff. ;)
    Trails need to be checked, and if they can't be checked by walking .....

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Moreover, if one or two people go XC skiing , travelling directly to the place for skiing and stay 2 metres apart all day on almost deserted ski trails then how is that more of a public health risk to society than going to Bunnings or even using a bike trail in the suburbs on a Sunday?

teckel and CarveMan like this.
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I will check the ski trails for them . I need the work !.I charge low rates for that kind of work .:) .I will be assiduous in my attention to detail esp. in terms of how many trees have fallen down and exactly where.

snowgum and teckel like this.
  12. snowgum

Do a full audit T - be thorough - leave no stone (trail) go unturned (skied)!

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am willing to commute 1 hour and 45 minutes to do this work, one way . It is a dirty job but someone must do it.

snowgum likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM still looks XC skiable on the snow cam. Higher up near Panorama lookout the snow cover would be deeper but softening .
    The CV 19 Lockdown is making me think it must be a mirage!. It looks like something we would enjoy XC skiing on but it is not really there!. Like ' water' on the horizon in a parched and hot desert environment.

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

BOM thinks there might be some more snow at LM next weekend. I say it is not allowed to snow properly again until we are allowed out of the prolonged after school detention!
    Sunday 10 May
    Summary
    [​IMG]
    Min -1
    Max 3
    Snow showers.
    Possible rainfall: 1 to 4 mm
    Chance of any rain: 90% [​IMG]
    Monday 11 May
    Summary
    [​IMG]
    Min 1
    Max 5
    Showers or snow at times.
    Possible rainfall: 1 to 3 mm
    Chance of any rain: 70% [​IMG]

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I see LM's only snow camera is showing that they have got one of their Snow Guns ready for the snow ball thrower area and the big scary machine trail groomer has been brought out of the shed too.
    Much of the real snow at the LM village has melted.

17. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I get it people are wanting to get out there but it is only May. Be patient. Restrictions will ease soon. For sure it would be safer for you to go skiing than to Bunnings but that is not the point. Firstly it is about not bringing Melbourne cooties to regional areas which are not as well equipped to deal with COVID19. Secondly it is not about whether you do or do not have the virus and are careful when you drive the 2 hours there and back. How do we make a rule for those who consider themselves above restrictions? That would be like saying those who think they are better drivers do not have to obey the speed limits. How many people admit they are bad drivers?

We are fortunate to have no cases in the two adjoining shires and only one in East Gippsland. That is solely because of travel restrictions along with the social distancing. Like I said, it is only May and few of us expect to be skiing in May. Have to say we managed a ski on Mt. Wills last Saturday but conditions were far less than ideal. It was more about the exercise.

snowgum, Skiain, Wally and 1 other person like this.
  18. chriscross

Surely shades of pot/kettle black here. Although the main sentiments are clear and reasonable, to suggest people should not "expect to be skiing in May", but btw we did last Saturday is contradictory, not to say hypocritical. So it's ok for country people?
    "How do we make a rule for those who consider themselves above restrictions?" Indeed.

neilmny likes this.
  19. snowgum

Interesting observation CrissCross - I think there’s a few folks in the mountain valleys (and nearby) probably feeling quite smug (relieved) they can access the mountains, seemingly without risk of a fine, while the rest of in the Smoke look on with jealousy. Good luck to you lot I say! Hopefully we’ll join you soon.

While I’m quite supportive of most Vic/Oz restrictions - the rule against dispersed camping, visitation, recreation in State & National parks and forests is a lot more nuanced. I dare say we all agree we’re all at less risk in the bush and it’s only at petrol pumps and shops that it becomes a bigger issue.

20. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The sentiment expressed was that, generally, being able to ski in May is not an expectation, irrespective of Covid19. That's how I read it anyway.

I agree that it is OK for people to travel within their local area for exercise. If they live close to somewhere that received snow and want to go on a short snow hike/XC ski with reasonable precautions, then have at it.

snowgum likes this.
  21. Xplora

It is local and it was exercise. No pot and kettle there. I was within my own community boundary and there are only a dozen people living here.
    We give up a lot of convenience for the lifestyle that many in the city look on with envy. Our major centres are more than two hours drive and we shop once a month. Looking forward to restrictions easing also and you blokes joining in the fun. We are restricted to day trips but are fortunate to have a great expanse next to us to enjoy. I have already expressed great sympathy for our city friends but you have to admit the further you get from Sydney or Melbourne, fewer cases of the virus are found and we would like to keep it that way.
    That was what I meant. Skiing in May is a bit of a luxury even without the restrictions. No point us getting all worked up about not being able to have a ski now and blaming it on COVID19 and then threatening to go covert and break the rules.

neilmny and nezumi like this.
  22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If some out of season XC skiing can be done then bring it on. That is my Modus Operandi.
    I mean no ill nor do I expect any special treatment . I just want to XC ski as much as possible in the calendar year .That is quite normal I think.
    In a perfect world or even an imperfect world such as in 2019 , we could have had some fine XC skiing for free at the usual places such as LM last weekend. Hot Ham and surrounds above 1650 M. will get 10 cm+ plus of snow this Sat. so Rock hopper Sunday beckons for "locals" up there again.

23. Xplora

No doubting your commitment and enthusiasm but this is the bed that has been made and we must lie in for now. Out of season dumps are mostly a thing for locals anyway, regardless of the current restrictions. Lake Mountain is close to Melbourne so it is possible for people such as yourself to avail themselves of good conditions on short notice but conditions change quickly in May. I am not particularly interested in driving a four hours return to do a bit of rock hopping but half an hour return is acceptable. Others may see 4 hours drive for questionable conditions worth it and the fine that could accompany the trip.
    Probably getting a little sick of hearing how governments and 'Mr. Plod' are spoiling our fun. Sounds a bit selfish. Maybe a bit strong but and I am sure it is not your intention to sound that way. The authorities are doing a great job with the pressure and spotlight firmly fixed. I have every confidence there will be some kind of season for us but if we don't get this right now then we will be confined for much longer. Hope you and the rest are all able to have some fun soon.

Skiain likes this.
  24. teckel

This from the Snow industry Association a few days ago:
    Dear SIA Members,

We would like to provide you with an Industry update in relation to the COVID-19 situation as we approach the Winter season.

The resorts are actively planning for various scenarios for opening to fall in line with the Government’s soon to be announced revised rules and directives.

Resorts are looking at any and all options including opening on time, opening with a delayed start and extending the winter season; all with varying degrees of social distancing measures. The ASAA is looking to create a plan for submission to the Federal Government detailing how resorts may operate after both State and Federal announcements scheduled within the next fortnight.

The SIA would like to ask for everyone’s help to get us up and running as quickly as possible and detailed below are several ways this can be achieved.

Covid Safe App – Please encourage all to download the App

It is vitally important that as an Industry we are supportive of the Covidsafe App. The broad uptake of the COVIDSafe App is one of the keys to getting sport and recreation reopened. In ski resorts wide use of the app is an excellent mitigation tool in the event that a Covid-19 case is detected. We therefore all need to work as hard as we can to get the message out to all of our audiences to download the App to help reach the number of users needed for its success.

The SIA will be developing and providing its members with material to help promote this message. We are hoping that within a fortnight you will receive window stickers and signage for your store asking people to download the App and therefore helping our cause to get our Winter season up and running. We ask that you display these signs and actively promote the message.

Travel and Social Media

It has become apparent that over the weekend many people have travelled to the Snowfields to enjoy the recent conditions. This involves some people travelling long distance to get to the Snow and also groups of locals congregating there. Of course, we would all like to be enjoying the conditions however this behaviour is against the law currently and is very unhelpful to our cause!

To make matter worse these people are posting their exploits on social media which encourages more people to do the wrong thing and is going to have an even greater negative impact in the long run. It is important that we all do what we can to curb this behaviour and promote that if we all behave in the right manner there is a much better chance that our resorts will open! Please, if you see this occurring in the future actively encourage people to ‘Stop it!’ in accordance with Government regulations.

We ask each and every one of you to do what you can to promote these messages, encourage people to do the right thing and help flatten the curve. We will be in touch again after the Federal and State Governments announcements with a further update.

Stay safe and well.

Kind regards,

Edward Fortey.

President, SIA.

EquatorBunny likes this.
  25. Xplora

Thanks for posting that Tecks. I probably should not have mentioned I did a Wills trip. Even though I did not break the rules, it still may encourage others to do so. The government seems to be assisting NRL to start a season and hopefully it can find a way for resorts to do so as well. I would hope the forum and members work together to this end as well.

26. snowgum

I hope your are right about the resorts & the mountains generally Explorer.

This is not a dig at Scott or any state or Fed Govt. I think it’s safe to say that there’s a lot more interest in all levels of NRL & AFL restarting that skiing & snow sports, these are imbedded in our national psyche.

But mtn & snow visitation (inc green season) is still worth a few billion to the SE Oz economy and so not to be dismissed lightly.

Xing fingers for a positive announcement put on Monday!

27. snowgum

Apologies I meant to type Xplora ! :eek::rolleyes:

28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

"against the law".
    Strictly speaking such conduct such as driving 1-5 hours within one's own state (to enjoy some Nordic skiing with perhaps one other human being) is contrary to a state govt. state of emergency directive . It is not against the law. Commonwealth laws must be debated and passed by both legislative chambers and given signed assent by the Queen of the Commonwealth or by her proxy i.e the Gov. Gen.
    The directives issued by the Dept. of health or by the Premier of VIC. under the state of emergency powers are not strictly speaking actual statutory or codified laws that have the assent of her Majesty the Queen of the Commonwealth of Australia.
    Commonwealth law says we , the citizens of the Commonwealth of Australia have the basic human right to freedom of movement within our states.
    Whether the state of emergency powers actually legally and constitutionally speaking over ride and /or circumvent that basic human right has not yet been put to a test case in the high court.
    Therefore there is no legal precedent.
    Such a test case would be very time consuming, stressful and expensive. A result would not become available during the period of a declared emergency . Such a period could most likely elapse before a ruling could be made.
    XC skiing is not a prohibited activity.
    The Chief Medical officer of VIC. has ruled that travel to undertake exercise is permitted if the facility for your chosen activity is not immediately adjacent to your fixed abode.

29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM is getting a dusting of snow today.

snowgum likes this.
  30. snowgum

that sure as eggs beats the @$$@ out of discussing political fallout in the Covid page!!

31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Baw Baw almost looks OP shop rock hopper skiable today ….AGAIN!!

32. djam

djam One of Us

was raining for a while over the last hour, makes for slow, wet snow, no fun at all.

33. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I cannot see how LM could open for Snow play visitors who may or may not have small children. this season. At present there is a limit of 10 people or less at an outdoor gathering.
    XC skiers at LM disperse well across the trails but the target audience /market that LM aims for is the Snow play visitors who may or may not have small children. They invariably swarm around the village car park area en masse
    .I saw last season when the resort closed the entrance gate during a heavy snowfall in Mid August that the legions of Snow play visitors who may or may not have small children milled around the road near the LM turn off and threw snow balls at each other down there.
    That possible scenario ( Pull the Captain Killjoy lever scenario) would lead VICROADS to closing the road at the Marysville end of the Wood's Point Road.

LM would not/could not open its white season operations for skiers only . That is XC ski fantasy stuff.
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Edited in italics at the request of a loyal forum member.
    :)

34. neilmny

neilmny One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I know it's hard for the legendary XC skier that you are but perhaps you could use a less condescending term and the industry used term of snowplayers. There's a lot of people here who have kids and kids love snowplay, my grandson for one. That does not make them lesser beings and I'll wager none of them have spent the last 2 months wingeing about the restrictions.

Skiain and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ok , I will rephrase that collective noun. See the edit above.
    Snow play visitors who may or may not have small children.
    Such good citizens are the mainstay of LM's business model.
    However they do not plan 4-6 trips up there every year without fail.
    Nordic skiers do and loyal annual multiple return visitation in this format is worth something in LM's white season revenue base.
    Whingeing (with a H) is the birth right of U.K. born people , holders of a U.K. passport !! ;-P

36. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A Muppet news flash from LM.
    They are staying 101% shut and closed until May 31st. So if any decent snowfalls that occur in the Yarra Ranges during May will have to be accessed via a Keppel's hut kind of mission for XC skiing.

The front gate to LM will remain locked to the public and the LM access road is staying off limits.

https://www.lakemountainresort.com.au/emergency-management-planning/

There is no news update from Baw Baw resort yet but Mt.Stirling is now accepting day trippers to TBJ.

37. chriscross

I note with interest that PV have finally updated their website after Monday's announcement; looks like MSG might be accessible now. Just need another decent storm.

38. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I can now see that the PV MSG web page basically says we are open in so many words.
    MSG needs 20-30 cm to be skiable past the first 2km from the car park. Of course we could just go up and down that strip all day and get some of the rust off our ski legs if we get a proper dump of snow. I am watching the weather for Friday 23rd of May.

39. teckel

40. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I sent an email to their emergency management inbox as specified on the webpage.

I got an automated out-of-office response advising that the person responsible is away until Monday May 18, which seems a bit absurd.

41. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM have closed shop until June 1st in effect. They will possibly decide what to do with the white season overall then. I cannot see them opening to snow players/sight seers as a commercial operation in the current circumstances. I am preparing for a Keppel's hut kind of winter ;-P.
    Mt. Stirling might stay 'open' all white season but with no ski patrol, no TBJ facilities open and no grooming. Who Knows?. The same could be guessed about MSG. Time will tell.

42. Mister Tee on XC Skis

43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Marysville, Narbethong, Healesville, Buxton etc. will all lose a lot of money from snow play visitors not going to LM. They may in fact descend like locusts en masse at Mt. Donna Buang and a trickle might reach Mt. Margaret Gap.
    Places such as LM make their $$ in white season. So do nearby businesses .

44. teckel

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, and am assuming they'll be open when permitted. The above would be the worst case scenario.

45. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Baw Baw's web page
    https://www.mtbawbaw.com.au/covid-19#Covid-19 Response
    says they are planning to open on June 6th. The same mob operate LM's white season operations. We shall wait and see but some forum members are gearing up for Mt. Margret Gap and Keppel's hut based BC XC missions to reach LM and ski there in 2020.
    The Team Leader has laboured and rehabilitated the Upper Taggerty track into a BC XC op shop rock hopper ski course of note.

46. Mister Tee on XC Skis

teckel likes this.
  47. chriscross

Not looking so good any more! Oh, well, Winter officially starts in June, but there's often not much skiable before July.

48. Mister Tee on XC Skis

That automated forecast from Ms. Bunn's computer has changed to zero snow :-(.
    BOM are forecasting the clear wet non skiable base material too.
    http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/lake-mountain.shtml
    No matter, plans are a foot to make the Keppel's hut track a super highway for BC XC LM ski access before June comes !

49. snowgum

We’re at risk of being told to take this chat over to weather predictions.

I note we’re on the LMTn thread (had to scroll up first!).

From the little I know from my time skiing, I reckon the front due in Vic late Wednesday is well shaped & positioned to deliver ‘some’ cold air - hopefully that’s when the precipitation is still present?

In contrast the poor excuse of a system to our south tonight is just slip sliding away.

For next weekend, I’d pack your fast semi-skinny lake mtn classics but be ready to take the wider set to Sirling; or Do a long day to Falls/Hotham? Perhaps consider sitting it out a tad longer If you value your bases?

In reality any skiing (esp Vic) before QB is a minor miracle - to be in awe of but not expected. Ever!

FWIW: May 2000’ was an exception in those ~ 35 years - oh for another season like that one??

Where tiredness from lack of sleep (early starts) and long drives every weekend caused the end of the season - not a lack of snow! :cool::thumbs:

50. Mister Tee on XC Skis

In 2019 I skied LM twice and the BHP road from Windy Corner to well past Watch bed Creek and back all before the season had officially started.
    I prefer to use my Op shop classic PB rock hoppers:thumbs: in the pre season and post season shoulder periods.

I scratched my good EPOCH skis :cry: at Mt.Stirling in Dec. 2019.Now I know when NOT to use those skis.

As far as I understand we here in VIC. are still in a state of emergency until May 31st and as a result the resorts at Baw Baw, LM and Falls are closed to public access of any kind.
    While the Dargo road is still open at Mt. St. Bernard until early June the temptation to drive in and try and rock hopper XC ski at Lankey Plains is there. It will happen one year for sure.