1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Lake Mountain.Rock Hopper XC ski day.20th June 2019.

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi. Your correspondent in the field went to XC ski at Lake Mtn. today.
    I met @chriscross at the Marysville bakery and we went up to the main LM car par in his vehicle. When we arrived it was snowing lightly.
    The place was not busy . @chriscross elected to ski on skating skis but there was little or no grooming for skating so it was a bit tougher than he expected . The snow cover was thin with vegetation sticking out and a bit slow and sticky.
    I selected the classic skinny vintage OP SHOP skis that I recently acquired for a day of rock hopping on thin and soft fresh snow.
    It turned out to be a wise choice since the pattern bases were given quite a number of rock, dirt, bush and wood collisions that often caused me to lose my balance.
    They looked a bit abused by the time the day of rock hopping was over.
    @chriscross himself found the final return trails to be " a bit sketchy".
    I would agree with that.
    The pattern base on my rock hopper skis seemed stick to the hazardous objects just as I was getting some movement going along a descent and the ski would catch and stop but I kept going :-0 or the surface was chopped up by previous skiers and the hazards became worse and I hit something and lost my balance just when I did not expect such an accident.
    Along a sunny slope down Woolly Butt Trail , it was too sketchy and fellow rock hopper and Lake mountain ski enthusiast Mr. Jafar and I side stepped it.
    We went out to look at Panorama but it was too iffy to ski on. We decided it was too thin ,hazardous and unsafe. It needed another 10 cms of snow and a groomer.
    I lost count of how many times I went over onto my rump as result of striking a piece of wood or a rock or something else unhelpful . I just kept picking myself up and skiing onwards regardless .
    The trouble was that I broke through to dirt and grass on my spills and snow ploughing churned up the surface to expose the soil in places.
    Step turning was a better option where possible.
    We had a few snow flurries up near the Triangle Junction. Word got out that Royston return trail was rubbish to ski on, so we avoided it.
    The Upper Muster Trail had a fallen log which was situated at the bottom of small descending bend. I managed to brake almost in time for this obstacle but not quite and down I went , again.
    The scenery looked lovely with snow in the vegetation but the lack of any grooming along the rest of the hill was baffling . A skidoo groomer could consolidate the snow cover across the entire resort, which was not quite 10 cm as the website claims.
    The lack of grooming esp. this afternoon after the Green trails had been chopped up , the fallen log and the absence of web cams shows that the Resort has lost the plot.
    It was still good to have a XC ski at LM and chat with Mr. Jafar and @chriscross.
    I will be back in early July for some more XC skiing on some more solid cover and less crashing on hazards in my rock hopper skis.

Fonster likes this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Photos from the Rock Hopper day at Lake Mountain on June 20th 2019.
    I must say I am a better and more confident XC skier when I can rely
    on the ski surface not to throw numerous seen and unseen hazards at me. Then I can concentrate
    on skiing and technique.In fact 20 Cm.s of snow on all ski trails at LM is where this kind of easier skiing becomes possible. Grooming helps repair chopped up terrain too.

The last picture shows the condition of Panorama trail near the Triangle junction.

3. kiter

kiter One of Us

stunning

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

All 2 WD vehicles were instructed to carry wheel chains up the hill . It was compulsory.
    Of course regular forum-ites such as @chriscross and I both drive AWD cars.
    It was sleeting on the way down the hill.