1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Lake Mountain to be run by a private operator

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Claude Cat, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

Re: Lake Mountain to be run by private operator

What's wrong with shared services?

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

stakeholders at FC whinge about RMB, but not as much they do about the old ARC. accountability is still an issue, but ARC was seen as(is still remembered as)fat cats who had no commitment to the resort. that may be unfair, but it's the perception. I've never met any business owner at FC who wants to go back to ARC.

3. FCLODGE1

FCLODGE1 Hard Yards

As with some other RMB's there has been a massive misuse of money and yet again there is another investigation into a CEO. Massive amounts of money were spent on things that just would not have worked. Also misappropriation of funds in relation to staff uniforms. Orders cancelled with suppliers and given to 'friends' companies, with much less quality product. It will be very interesting to see the whole upshot of this. The RMB staff do a good job under difficult conditions, I did hear if something didnt change there was no money to pay core staff after the end of the year. A lot of money was pissed up against the wall by the new CEO who just did not get it. It all comes down to leadership, in most cases the appointments are political over experience. I hope the new group can make it work but Im pretty skeptical, no snow experience, no experience in a marginal snow area, two crossed just to start with... Hope I am wrong..

#53 FCLODGE1, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  4. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yes. I do benefit from people going to Buller without a doubt, but probably well under 1% of my winter takings - my advantage of being on the highway on the main route from the far outer eastern suburbs and Gippsland. But I was talking more from the resort perspective, than from mine.

#54 teckel, Nov 28, 2012
  5. teckel

Until a few years ago, LM & BB shared a CEO and board chairman. Separate CEOs when Leona became CEO of BB. The common chairman (Ralph Booth - yes, the same one who thought Leona was wonderful) resigned at the end of this past winter, and we now have an acting chair not shared with BB. One of the probs of sharing a CEO as I understand it, was that he could never be found at either resort and was always apparently 'on the road'.

#55 teckel, Nov 28, 2012
  6. vet

vet One of Us

#56 vet, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  7. teckel

This has appeared on the DSE website:
    So, the board will remain in place.

#57 teckel, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  8. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

so it's more like a lease to a lift co, not replacing the RMB.

I'm not sure what a 12 month trial proves. At most it might give Belgravia a basis for making recommendations. It' hard to believe that they can make a difference in that timeframe.

I had wondered if they were going to change the regulatory regime for LM so that a private operator could do stuff without Parks & DSE veto.

Will be interesting to see how xc (rather than snow play) fares under a commercial regime, and if they are even compelled to run it at all, or to maintain trails to a certain level

9. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds like a lot of people getting paid a lot of money who know little about snow or mountainbiking.

Admin, marketing and hospitality are redundant without snow and shared summer trails.

They need to take off the suits and get out there and make it, ride it and live it.

Build it and they will come.

10. teckel

So many questions. And no hint as yet of any meetings or any communication from the resort or tourism org or chamber of commerce or Belgravia Leisure.

11. teckel

They will also get to collect resort entry fees, which no lift companies do.

12. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Hope they dont dumb it down to just a play and toboggan resort.

Vic's got a patchy record of managing xc facilities - IMO - with limited exceptions, usually the poor (fringe) cousin to alpine skiing & snowplay & easy to downplay by someone new to alpine management.

Hopefully we can all keep pressure on Belgravia, board, PV and the Govt.

13. teckel

I'll be pretty dark on them if they do! 220 skis, boots and poles all in excellent condition. And I've just ordered $10k worth of new racking for them for next winter. The parts for those racks are already ordered from Germany, and if I cancel they probably won't be able to resell them in Australia, given that the size of them was quite specific to my shop. That means I'd have to take them and pay for them. I know the mountain also has orders in for new skis etc.

14. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Please excuse the 'patchy' pun! (not intended!) (;-)

15. teckel

Haha. The ABC report was worse. All the footage was showing little or no snow - with bloody chairlifts in the background. So NOT Lake Mountain. I think they put in 2006 footage from anywhere.

16. LM

LM Hard Yards

I hope they work out the season pass thingo for next year. I never did work out what it was about. At least I saved my money.
    A new hotel being built in Marysville must surely help things along.

17. teckel

But it's 4 star. What's needed is budget accommodation, not luxury. (already heaps of that) If they close the resort, that hotel will be an expensive white elephant.

[​IMG]

#67 teckel, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  18. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Could not believe the Age in Melbourne did not bother to report on this issue at all this week. Many aspects of this decision need exploration and clarification.

19. teckel

Only the ABC has reported on it. Very strange. Hopefully, I'll hear more on Monday when they've taken over.

20. teckel

Belgravia continue to keep us in the dark.

But news - just to hand - hot off the press, so to speak ....
    Operations Manager got marching orders this afternoon.
    And the person who delivered the news to him was the ex CEO who is still being retained by Belgravia.

It gets mysteriouser and mysteriouser ......

21. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I don't know if it really matters in the long run. I didn't get to LM once last season because the snow was just so unpredictable and didn't coincide with my time off. There is no way you could book accomodation and be guaranteed of any skiable snow.

22. teckel

That's irrelevant weerab. It's an easy daytrip from Altona - you make the trip when the snow is good, or you go elsewhere - your choice. Got nothing to do with the resort being run by private enterprise.

23. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My point was that it doesn'treally matter who is running LM, there won't be any snow worth driving up for. How many weekends were there last season worth skiing. It's alright if you are not working and drive up midweek at the rop of a hat but the weekends were hit and miss.

24. WIZO

WIZO First Runs

I'm with weerab. We live in the age of the McDonalds Burger where we expect to walk in, get served a reliable product, and leave with a smile. People will I think by 2020 migrate from LM to a better McDonalds [​IMG]

#74 WIZO, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  25. chriscross

A number of points of view are converging here, so it's not really about choosing sides. The fact is LM as a ski destination has become more marginal and (I fear) may continue thus. The McDonalds analogy is hardly apt as one can buy that kind of product almost anywhere these days (Tacoma, anyone?) but xc trails within 2 hours of a big city are extremely hard to find. I do have some sympathy for weerab's pov as conditions were so unpredictable last season. I had a season pass and skied there just 3 days, none on weekends. No overnights in Marysville; instead I drove on to Merrijig so as to ski Stirling and Buller. But Teckel's concern about who runs the place and what their priorities might be is surely valid. There were some major question marks about the previous admin. so if any remnants of that group remain we should all be worried. Skiing and skiers were pretty low on their list, I thought.

26. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Unfortunately I doubt that belgravia lesiure will do much to improve the cross country side of lake mountain seeing the way that lake mountain is marketed towards snow play, I would love to see some decent snowmaking equipment used on the trails. Lake mountain if a fair drive from my place, it's the cheapest way I can XC ski as much as possible during the season so the XC side of it means a lot to me. Last season I would have to have to wait for each weather system to decide wether to go or give it a miss if the snowfalls didn't reach LM, verry little opertunity to ski the trails in between snowfalls. Snow security is so vital to LM, I really do hope the new operators take it into consideration

27. chriscross

Still waiting for any communication from LM re: season pass. I note with interest that the Falls Early Bird pass ends on 30 April. Last year I had to contact the resort (LM) and remind the staff about this, though I must say the (then ?) manager assured me of the early bird price in May. Patience required. I will be interested to hear when Teckel knows anything about who is running the place and how.

28. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Yes, keep us posted. I've been considering a season pass too but not sure what to do seeing they've got new operators

#78 TeleXC, Apr 7, 2013
  29. chriscross

LM not selling Early Bird All Resorts pass. Will have to buy from FC. So much for the regulars.