Question Lake Mountain winter entry prices

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by TeleXC, May 3, 2014.

1. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Does anyone know if theres any difference in prices this year at LM. They've only got one price for entry and thats $53. Thats heaps! good thing we dont have to pay trail fees anymore. Can't find a midweek price either or the online price. http://lakemountainresort.com.au/prices/gate-entry

2. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

It says that the 'special mid-week concession rate for pensioners' is $51 - a whole $2 off the $53! I can see the pensioners jumping at that one. It looks like $53 for mid-week non pensioners. I'll check with them on Monday - I haven't heard from the mountain this season, yet.

3. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Yeah the seniors discount is terrible, be nice if they had a student price/ deal too but can't see than happening. Are you still doing the vouchers for the reduced price teckel? we got all our entry tickets from your shop last season, was better than getting them online.

4. weerab

weerab One of Us

It's Usually a lot cheaper if you book on line. however at that price I'll give it a wide berth, too much money to ski on 10cm of snow!

5. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

As I said, I've heard nothing so far. It looks like they're wanting people to purchase seasons passes. If you purchase within 2 weeks, you will need to go up 6 days on weekends to be ahead. But the midweek season pass looks good at $150 if purchased within the next 2 weeks.

6. icypeak

icypeak Hard Yards

I bet most skiers will stay away with prices like that , unless there is a major dump that will make it irresistible. Even the XC500 was risky with the seasons of late.
    They are more interested in the snow players imo. They should turn the all place in a snow play area , increase car park capacity and for sure they'll make a squillion .

7. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

For a resort that often struggles to get numbers with the crappy seasons, I can't see how making entry fees a rip-off will help.
    Also I doubt they'll sell many tickets pre-season since almost no one knows about them.
    Is there another new CEO this year Tecs?

8. weerab

weerab One of Us

I think it was $42 last year if you prebooked on line but $52 is a bit hard to take. however, if there is a huge downfall, I,m sure I will be straight up there!

9. stansi

stansi One of Us

Buy an All Resorts season pass.

Then just go, when an whenever, You want.

10. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

At least some of the money is going into more snow making. I went up there today and they've got 5 of them on the tobagan run (hopefully they move some over to the xc trail head or some of the low trails!) an they have this enourmous techno alpin one thats different to the rest of them.

11. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

So these ones in the cam

[​IMG]

ON TOP OF the big white shipping container one and the small wyss box?

12. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Yep there the ones I saw, don't know what the one is closest to the camera but it looked big in person. I guess they gonna be very usefull for the spint x race early in the season if theres no snow. And..... hopefully they will use some for the trail head becuase the snow there gets worn down really quick!

13. zacsprint

zacsprint Hard Yards

I must admit I got a bit of a shock with the prices and No XC500 Club which I had been using and which was great value when the seasons are good. Can't see myself forking out $400 for a seasons pass when it could be a wipeout. Not happy with the prices, that means for one day of skiing, factoring in fuel and the rest, looking at least $150, easily more. That is a lot of money for ONE Day of CC Skiing.

14. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

looks like you've missed the early bird season pass - that would have only been $300, or break even on the 6th day. That is a better ratio than other resorts, even if the total cost is higher. the midweek season pass at $180 still looks pretty good for those who can be flexible.

or just come to Falls Creek for a multi-day stay :p

15. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here

teckel......
    Curra's hijacking your thread!

16. currawong

I'm sure she would return the favour ;)

17. zacsprint

zacsprint Hard Yards

$300 for an early bird season pass is double what it was with the XC500 Club and would mean at least 6 days to make it worthwhile. It's been a long time since I was able to have 6 days of skiing at LM in a season, due to the weather.

$400 is a rip off. No sorry, I work all week, so the mid-week season pass is a waste.

Whichever way you look at it, Privatisation was an excuse to jack up prices.

Pity Lake Mountain Administration can't respond to my email from someone who's been skiing there for over 20 Years at the mountain, but they're quick to put the prices up.

Priorities, obviously.

18. weerab

weerab One of Us

I think I have been skiing up there for more than twenty years and remember paying $3 car park entry, no trail fees. I don't think I am earning twenty times what I was earning when the entry was $3.00! We'll just have to go elsewhere. I met a few old guys a few years back who would ski LM once a week as they could afford it under the pension. I think they will struggle now!

BTW, I am almost pensionable age and would have loved to ski LM during the week but it looks unlikely at this rate!

19. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I too had the same thought when I was going for the season pass. I've only made it up about 4 or less times each year becuase of the weather/ conditions over the weekend so it doesn't help me too.

Would love some kind of student discount. The $53 is a lot to pay for entry when you're earning little. And I'm sure the $2 discount for pensioners won't help them too.

I'd be happy to pay it if they did a bit of snow making on the trails, If some of the money from the entry fee is going towards snowmaking on the toboagan run and not the trails thats kinda useless to me then.

20. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

I agree with you TeleXC. But they have to be realistic. Most people go there for the snow play and their entry fees enable snow making. The entry fees from the skiers gets used up on grooming. It's a bummer, but probably fair :(

TeleXC likes this.
  21. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Part of the problem with the entry fee model is that singles and couples end up subsidising large family groups of up to say 7 or 8 people. Imagine if a single lift pass cost the same as a family of eight?

I agree there's a certain base cost per car entering but certain costs, building, heating, rubbish collection, sewerage even grooming and patrolling would be more related to nos. people not vehicles.

Not sure if there's a fair way to charge, someone will always do better/worse. Maybe set a discount for 1 person, say charge $30, then up by $5s pp up to say $60 for a 7/8 seater wagon.

Just an idea, especially in low season or mid week when visitation is low (can be hard to find ride shares)

22. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

I don't know if they can. I think it's all defined by government alpine regulations.

ALPINE RESORTS (MANAGEMENT) REGULATIONS 2009 - REG 28 Offence to enter an alpine resort in a motor vehicle without paying fee
    (1) The Board of an alpine resort may determine a fee that is payable in respect of a motor vehicle for the persons in the motor vehicle to enter the alpine resort in the motor vehicle and to access or use public areas in the alpine resort.
    (2) The fee determined by the Board under subregulation (1) must not exceed 4ยท14 fee units for the motor vehicle for each day that the motor vehicle remains in the alpine resort.
    (3) A person must not enter an alpine resort in a motor vehicle unless the fee determined by the Board under subregulation (1) as being payable on such an entry has been paid.
    Penalty: 5 penalty units.
    (4) Subregulation (3) does not apply to a person who enters the alpine resort in a motor vehicle in respect of which an annual fee determined by the Board of an alpine resort in accordance with
    regulation 30(1) has been paid.
    (5) The person in charge of a motor vehicle for which a fee is paid under subregulation (1) must affix any ticket issued for payment of the fee to the windscreen, side window or other prominent place on the vehicle at all times while the vehicle is in the alpine resort.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/arr2009371/
    A fee unit is currently $13.24. This means the maximum any Victorian resort can charge for a car entry is $54.81 - $1.81 more than they're charging. So it's legal.
    Personally, I find the seniors entry to be quite insulting to seniors. A full $2 discount (woopy doo), but woe betide if any occupant of the car is not a senior! :eek:

#22 teckel, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  23. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Four per cent discount for pensioners is ridiculous - insulting indeed.

It seems the usual fair discounts for seniors/pensioners doesn't apply in Alpine areas. Got to love the mountain dollar!

24. stansi

stansi One of Us

The answer is to car share, you really need four people in your car.
    That's probably how they come up with that price.
    You really have to compare it with other prices, like going to the pictures.
    What about setting up a facebook page. Meet at the gate etc.

25. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

You have to be very careful with that. The hitchers cannot pay a fee for the ride because then the driver would be acting as an illegal taxi. But the entry fee could be split legally, I suppose, which benefits the driver. OTOH, I wouldn't trust anyone else to drive me on a chain day, unless they were experienced alpine drivers. If I get a group hiring and they have several cars between them, I often suggest they leave one car at my ski hire and pile (legally) into the remaining cars. (Helps to have a big carpark, I could park 100 cars or more at the rear of the shop)
    Another issue - you arrange a lift with a stranger and you get up there fine. But the driver decides to leave early and leaves you up there in the lurch without a lift down the mountain.

26. currawong

IIRC Falls Creek has 10% discount for over 65s, and they can can have younger passengers

27. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here

Baw Baw has free entry for over 65s
    Cars $35 per day midweek

From the website http://mountbawbaw.com.au/winter/resort-entry/