Trip Report Lake Mtn. April XC ski day.12.4.21.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
@beefa skiing and I both took the rock hoppers out for a 10-11 km XC ski today at Lake Mtn.. We should have taken the wide BC XC skis for floatation on full deep complete cover. We would have sunk into the snow and ground to a halt on the mild descents anyway........
but that was my thinking.
It was 20-25 cms deep the whole way. We saw just two other skiers out there all morning. We started skiing at 0730 and finished just before noon. The track was rain affected , ungroomed & slow to very heavy as Horse racing people would say.
It drizzled a bit and stayed cold most of the morning but not cold enough to snow more. A Lake Mtn. staff member told me that Sunday 11/4/21 was better because it was powder dry and fresh. He said it has rained overnight.
Nordic Skiing in April with no parking fee is good!!.
Don't forget during 2021 @teckel has all your outdoor and snow activity equipment and attire needs covered if you are going to Lake Mtn., Mt. Margaret or elsewhere in the Yarra Ranges N.P.
It was raining a bit so my camera lens got a bit wet and unclear.
We enjoyed returning to Nordic skiing after barely skiing at all last year due to the Vic. lockdowns and hardly any snow. We stuck to the easy terrain and were just getting the balance, rhythm and fitness back for Classic Nordic Skiing .
_SAM9032.JPG
_SAM9034.JPG
_SAM9033.JPG
_SAM9035.JPG
_SAM9036.JPG
_SAM9038.JPG
_SAM9039.JPG
_SAM9040.JPG
_SAM9041.JPG
_SAM9043.JPG
_SAM9044.JPG
_SAM9046.JPG
_SAM9048.JPG
_SAM9052.JPG

Last edited:

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Would it be worth the trip tomorrow morning for a 5 year old and a pull-along snowboard Mr T?

How was the area in front of the visitor centre when you were leaving?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Would it be worth the trip tomorrow morning for a 5 year old and a pull-along snowboard Mr T?

Hi. A young child would not understand that it is melting rapidly .

As skiers we have a nuanced grasp of snow in all its permutations and variations. The snowline crept up the hill markedly between 7 am and 12 Noon today when we left. There seemed to be enough for people to snow play /toboggan on today but if you go tomorrow then go super early.

It will be gone soon
because there is no base and the temperatures are climbing( "Lawdy Mama I can feel my temperature rising " as Elvis P. observed ) .
At least it is real snow rather than the Slurpee machine stuff and entry is free of charge.

I did not look at the snow play areas carefully. We clicked into our skis, left the village quick smart and went on the old rock hopper op shop skis up to Upper Muster trail and
The Triangle where the snow was deeper yet. :) i.e nearly 25- 30 cms at The Triangle.

That was a long and possibly inconclusive answer ;-P .

Last edited:
Reactions: nezumi

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au

It was certainly crappy looking at Gerratys. Lots of mud mixed in with the snow, especially where they tried to groom it a bit. But snow players found good snow today if they left the area close to the car park and ventured a little further afield. As Mr T says, get there early.
(BTW, my shop is closed tomorrow and Wednesday - my days off in the non-winter months)

Reactions: nezumi

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
It was certainly crappy looking at Gerratys. Lots of mud mixed in with the snow, especially where they tried to groom it a bit. But snow players found good snow today if they left the area close to the car park and ventured a little further afield. As Mr T says, get there early.
(BTW, my shop is closed tomorrow and Wednesday - my days off in the non-winter months)

Thanks for the heads up - although we're pretty well kitted out for him, I was planning on stopping in on the return leg just to say hello, so now I know to try another day.

Reactions: teckel
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass