Trip Report Lake Mtn. / Keppel's hut/ Lady Talbot drive. 15.3.21:Day walk.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Hi
Your correspondent in the field took a friend out to the Yarra Ranges N.P. area to enjoy the autumn sunshine, clean air and tranquility.
She had never been to any of these places before including Fernshaw and the Dom Dom Saddle.

We met early at 8 am in Yarra Glen and then took my car up to Keppel's hut via Buxton. The 4 x 4 track up to the hut had been mended in November / December 2020 but has turned to shite again.I retrieved an unused and well hidden BC XC ski supply drop. I was unable to use it in 2020 due to the 8 month Lockdown. We walked up to The Boundary hut ruins and did a loop of the Panorama ski trail before returning to the car.
The foot track from the hut to The ski trails needs some major brush cutting. The scrub and blackberries are impinging upon the would be
walker or XC skier.
I tried to drive back to Marysville via the 4 WD only section of Lady Talbot Drive.That road seems to be open from where it meets the Upper Taggerty Track but it has not had a grader through it for years. I cannot believe it used to be promoted as a 2 WD scenic family drive.
:-0
It is bloody rough for an AWD SUV and taking a decent chain saw and having time to cut your way through that mess is no laughing matter.

. I had to get out and cut some poles with the chainsaw. Down past " The Beeches" closer to Marysville there was
a BIG TREE on the track.
:-0
It would have taken an hour to bring it down safely , cut it and then use some more chainsaw fuel and bar oil and perhaps two wedges would not have been enough.
@Ubiquitous Steve would have been the better chainsaw operator for that task. However why do DEWLP declare these tracks open but do zero to fix the surfaces and the tree blockage issues?

. So I turned the Tee Mobile around and we went back via Mt. Margaret Gap.
The drive to Marysville along the Marysville to Buxton road was much quicker and the poplar trees turning golden in the late afternoon Autumn sun were very scenic.
We did not see anyone out there all day.

Not a sausage!

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
March 15th 2021.
I took some photos of the overgrown Keppel's hut walking track. I must get back up there with the brush cutter and plenty of 2 Stroke fuel.
We stopped to enjoy the views of Mt. Bullfight and Mt. Torbreck near the old Boundary Hut ruins but it was infested with ants. We ate lunch at the Lookout rock just off the Panorama Ski trail.
The visibility was very good so the scenery was showing off to the new visitor. Ms. W.. Now wants to try XC skiing at Lake Mtn..
Of course
@teckel
will be happy to rent her some gear and maybe sell her a lesson for a newbie this white season.
Lady Talbot drive has been closed to all vehicles since the fires. There are many trees down across it like the one you describe. You wouldn’t have got very far.
Lady Talbot drive was open at Mt. Margaret Gap and at the Upper Taggerty Road junction so we went down there to The Beeches see what it looks like. It is a mess, ( with a 4 WD only surface and so many poles across the track ) and we had to turn around and exit via Mt. Margaret gap.

Last edited:
Reactions: teckel

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
_SAM8943.JPG
_SAM8944.JPG
_SAM8945.JPG
_SAM8946.JPG
_SAM8947.JPG
_SAM8948.JPG
_SAM8949.JPG
_SAM8950.JPG
_SAM8957.JPG
_SAM8951.JPG
_SAM8952.JPG
_SAM8953.JPG
_SAM8954.JPG
_SAM8955.JPG
_SAM8956.JPG

Reactions: skifree

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Team Bears went walkies down there over Labour Day Weekend.We got to the Beeches but short of the River Crossing Bridge.About 4kms in....The gate was locked ...we surmised that the large dead trees presented a danger to drivers should they fall.Well that’s what we thought was the reason for closure.
.To be quite honest it is dangerous down there with the amount of problem trees on both sides of the road.
The Beech trees are extremely pretty.They look ancient!

Yes...the fire damage was great and widespread.The whole forest structure(age) and composition has changed.It’s a sad looking affair due to the severity of those fires.

We suppose those old stags are providing habitat for critters but their proximity to roads is a danger!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The Team Leader and I need to slash back the vegetation on the Keppel's hut walking track !
The gate to Lady Talbot drive at The Upper Taggerty road junction is now open but there is a BIG tree down there across the road just near The Beeches and it was not worth the time and considerable effort cutting it. It was quicker to turn around and exit via Mt. Margaret Gap.
So we did.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass