1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Lake Mtn. Pre season ski trail report.May 14 /2019

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, May 14, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hi. Today your correspondent in the field took a friend up to LM for a walk on a fine autumn day. We walked all of the Jubilee trail and all of the Long Heath Loop. With an eye towards skiing these routes during the upcoming XC season I examined them on foot in terms of descents , ascents, bends and how much scrub and timber needs to be cut in order to bring the tracks up to scratch.
    There is quite a bit of timber down on the Jubilee track and the groomers will need to take a chainsaw to it before they can work their voodoo once the snow arrives. Speaking of snow, the giant imitation snow factory was working non stop when we were there and there was a huge pile of the stuff ready to be spread along the toboggan slope for the tiny tots to slide on next month.
    The Long Heath loop was quite bushy and needs: a brush cutter with a metal blade ; some snow poles repaired and some serious chainsaw action for it to be skiable.
    Please see the photos for more information. It was a pleasant day out to be walking and we saw nobody else out there on the ski trails apart from two PV workers and their vehicle.

teckel likes this.
  2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Looking forward to seeing them ;)

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Those naughty trees just keep on falling down. I kind of wished I had brought the chain saw along but they are quite heavy items to lug about fully fuelled up for a whole day of hiking.
    As you can see a tree fell down and smashed a directional sign on the ski trail , it just obliterated it with a bulls eye target hit , somewhere along the Jubilee trail.
    We rusted on XC skiers and forumites expect the resort at LM to get these ski trails well up to standard before the snow comes. It might be all well and good to charge snow ball throwers and toboggan riders 60 clams per day in parking to slide about but when it comes to XC skiing we want a quality experience on the groomed and ungroomed terrain.
    Nothing less will do !.
    So with about 4 weeks left The LM resort still has work to do .

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The walk along Long heath Loop was more like a bush walk with bushy scrub and saplings popping up along the actual ski route and fallen timber everywhere. Evidently no grooming status in white season also could mean no track clearing, a kind of SAS jungle hurdle course for skiers with fish scale pattern based skis.
    We walked the Long Heath Loop and returned via Royston trail. There was log down on that route too. The weather was clear enough to make a photo stop at the Melbourne Lookout worthwhile.

Attached Files:

5. teckel

Many of the resort senior management members are skiers. The Jubilee ones will be cleared. ;)

6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The walk along Long heath Loop was more like a bush walk with bushy scrub and saplings popping up along the actual ski route and fallen timber everywhere. Evidently no grooming status in white season also could mean no track clearing, a kind of SAS jungle hurdle course for skiers with fish scale pattern based skis.
    We walked the Long Heath Loop and returned via Royston trail. There was log down on that route too. The weather was clear enough to make a photo stop at the Melbourne Lookout worthwhile.

Attached Files:

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

We stopped to stretch our legs and admire some deciduous autumn trees on the way home, once we arrived at Fernshaw picnic ground on the Maroondah hwy.

8. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I see no reason other than cost for resort/pv staff not clearing fallen timber from Long Heath & perhaps a modest slash occasionally.

Lets face it, LMtn rarely hits the 60-80 cm mark needed to cover everything.

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  9. teckel

I love Fernshaw. Somehow, the mature European trees in the middle of a mountain ash forest, just work :thumbs: The purists must hate it.

The Plowking likes this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Send me in to do the slashing and chain sawing on Long Heath Trail . I enjoy doing that sort of thing!

11. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Fernshaw was once a little village on the way to the goldfields (as was Marysville). It had a pub and shops/ services for miners and travellers. As for LM being skiable in 4 weeks, dream on. If that happens, I will personally drive you through the ticket box and save you the entry fee.

12. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Nah, surely not. It's a beautiful little spot

teckel likes this.
  13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I have posted two XC ski trip reports so far from LM and it is still 6/6/19. I hope we can ride up to LM together in your car after a fresh snow fall in July . :) .