Trip Report Lake Mtn. XC ski day . May 16th 2021

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Your correspondent in the field got up at 4.40 am to drive to Lake Mtn. to XC ski early.
I arrived at LM car park just after dawn . A group of brain dead rev heads and hoons were doing wheel spins in their sports cars on the boiler plate bullet proof ice surface of the car park. The sign at the unattended toll booth said :" All vehicles must fit chains , AWD and 4WD excepted".
None of these oxygen wasters and mouth breathers had AWD or chains.
The LM staff member I spoke with on arrival made herself scarce since she wanted nothing to do with these yobbos with lead boots on their accelerators.

These brain dead rock apes were an accident waiting to happen. I was concerned that they would lose control rapidly and crash into my car.
I told one dude off in uncertain terms. He had NFI and was probably a mental case.
Anyway I got my old Op shop rock hopper skis out because out of season skiing can be very hit or miss for the good skis in my ski bag. I went and sussed out the surface. It was cold, dry and powdery. So I got organized and off I went for a morning of recovering long neglected XC ski skills.
Us Mexicans hardly skied at all in 2020.
The snow cover was surprisingly good . Complete dry fresh cover It started as 10 cm but by the time I skied Woollybutt Intermediate Blue trail without crashing and arrived at The Gap it was deeper than that. .At the Triangle it was much closer to 15 cms deep.
I decided to work on my basic ski skills by skiing down the Royston return run. I did pick up a bit of speed on the ungroomed and fresh track. My ski tip became caught , submarined into the snow , and I went over the handle bars. I landed on my left knee which is my dodgy knee.
:eek:o_O:confused::(
I got my skis untangled, laid myself across the fall line and picked myself up.
I have skied that Blue run with no dramas before but this was Mr. Rusty getting a bit cocky and accident prone .
I then resumed cautious French Fries/ Pizza type drills the whole way back to the car park . Back at The car park ,it was full of snow ball throwers and their cars . Most of them were not dressed at all for the zero degrees C . weather.
I had chat with one of the ski patrollers and told him the snow is skiable for sure. Get out there.
It should be skiable EARLY tomorrow too.
:)
So I had a good day, no entry fee, fresh tracks and got some of my basic XC ski skills back as well as the balance and Nordic ski fitness .Remember this : if you are not crashing then you are not trying.
:p

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I did stop and visit @teckel in her shop after skiing and having lunch . I told her what the ski conditions were like. I didn't ski Panorama because I would prefer to use My Madshus Epoch skis for those descending bends on ungroomed snow. The Hut loop would have had quite a bit of snow too. I am not sure why I didn't have a look out that way. I suppose I had the wrong skis for that terrain. Next Time I will ski out there with the BC XC skis :).
Photos from Lake Mtn. May 16th 2021.
_SAM9147.JPG
_SAM9148.JPG
_SAM9151.JPG
_SAM9152.JPG
_SAM9153.JPG
_SAM9154.JPG
_SAM9155.JPG
_SAM9156.JPG
_SAM9157.JPG
_SAM9158.JPG
_SAM9159.JPG
_SAM9160.JPG
_SAM9161.JPG

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I decided to Ski out along Woollybutt trail. The sudden curving dips gave my rusty ski skills something to work with. Some herringbone ascents were also implemented.
I did not hear that dreaded sound of the pattern on the Pattern base ski running over a rock all day :). I did all my descending turns on that trail without crashing.
I think I can remember how to ski . The old Rock Hopper skis are much harder to ski on than The heavier wider Madhshus Epoch skis I tend to favour when the snow cover is known to be very good. Weather conditions became a bit wintery and sunglasses were swapped for ski goggles.
_SAM9162.JPG
_SAM9163.JPG
_SAM9164.JPG
_SAM9165.JPG
_SAM9166.JPG
_SAM9167.JPG
_SAM9168.JPG
_SAM9169.JPG
_SAM9170.JPG
_SAM9171.JPG
_SAM9172.JPG
_SAM9173.JPG

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
20210516_105549.jpg
Arrived about 9am with kid for a ski. "brain dead rev heads" car was on it's roof and being dragged out of trees. I had a good laugh to myself. Snow was still good at 10am when we hit the trail
Thankfully my car was still there when I returned and not written off by the mouth breathers. I have seen those petrol addled evolutionary failures before . In fact last month when I was skiing at LM they were doing burn outs on ice.
:-0
The snow was quite good for LM. I have skied on far worse and far less up there.

Last edited:

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Thankfully my car was still there when I returned and not written off by the mouth breathers. I have seen those petrol addled evolutionary failures before . In fact last month when I was skiing at LM they were doing burn outs on ice.
From your description of them, they sound like the same @(*^(40@()s who (about once a fortnight) treat the Black Spur like their private racing track at night. Normally about 10 cars, with lookouts at either end (for cops), and they even come equipped with their own tow truck

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
From your description of them, they sound like the same @(*^(40@()s who (about once a fortnight) treat the Black Spur like their private racing track at night. Normally about 10 cars, with lookouts at either end (for cops), and they even come equipped with their own tow truck
Yes that is them.
I will get their number plates next time and write them down and hand the details over to the Healesville Cop shop.
It is a matter of when not if they kill somebody who is not one of their rev head motorist mob.

Reactions: teckel
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass