1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Lake Mtn. XC ski trip. 10/8/19. Nuking down with Powder snow!

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi.
    Your correspondent in the field accompanied by the redoubtable T.P.
    just skied at Lake Mtn. today Sat. Aug. 10th 2019 . It was total powder. It was nuking down all day like one seldom sees. We skied 12kms including the main black run: the full Jubilee loop and down the Royston trail ( long descending blue run).We saw maybe 10 other skiers out there in total all day.
    We saw 40 cms on the snow gauge at the Triangle Junction.

The Car park was packed with snow ball throwing people who were digging their cars out !

This morning It was snowing in Marysville, big fat flakes! , and on the Dom Dom Saddle.
    cannot believe they made me fit chains at Jock's Lookout ( just some 3 kms out of Marysville ) on a car with AWD and Limited Slip Differential and snow and mud tyres and it is festooned with KNP, Falls Ck. , Stirling ski passes etc.
    However the rubber Diamond Pattern snow chain wheel tensioning hook doovalacka, which snapped off in my hand :-0 did not make crawling up the hill a very confident experience.
    It was newbie chain fitter central there at that chain bay and some people were turned back because they had not any chains at all.
    There was a car crash on the Black Spur on the homeward trip. We had to turn around and drive home via Yea and Whittlesea :-0.
    . My camera battery died on the way back down the hill .So I missed out on taking some pictures of some wonderous winter scenes a long way down the hill . I am lucky the loose wheel chain did not damage anything crucial on the car such as the brakes or worse still the flux capacitor.
    I will post a full trip report with photos soon.

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2019
    Simon11, neilmny and Baw Baw Bear like this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

10/8/19. Snow and slush at the Dom Dom saddle.

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Snowing in Marysville.

Simon11 and neilmny like this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Helicopter flat. Put away the rock hoppers , it is BC XC ski time. The groomers were not seen while we were there. I think they gave up. It was NUKING DOWN!.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Jubilee Trail. The Full Loop !!
    We saw a fallen tree that was suspended above the Jubilee ski trail . It was like a Sword of Damocles hanging over us PB plodders.
    I got some good rides down the curving hills on that track with the fish scales singing out . Snow ploughing down a sudden drop did lead to an over handlebars fall which spelled the words "EAT SNOW". So from then on I skied all the descents with confidence in my technique and straight skis and just ploughed on one ski a bit here and there to turn and to cook off speed when needed .
    I whizzed past TP on one occasion while he was sinking in the snow on skinny skis. Being a former downhill skier he has ideas about turning using parallel edges which don't really take the NNN BC equipment's pros and cons into consideration. I told him he should try a 75 MM cable Telemark ski set up and try skating too.
    We took the Echo flat track to The Gap after skiing the whole Jubilee trail .It started snowing even harder then !.:skier::emoji_snowflake::emoji_cloud_snow:
    Then we skied up to the Triangle and hammered it home down the hill on the Royston trail. In a ski tuck position :ski: my muscles were burning but I am skiing a lot better this season , with more confidence and control.

Sean Sunley, Simon11, Bogong and 2 others like this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Back at the car park it was blowing a blizzard horizontally and the car was covered in snow and ice. There were many people "seeing snow" there and they were spread all the way down to Arnold Gap, sledding on the road ,digging their cars out and making snow men, letting their children wander across the snow covered road which was not safe because some people were driving very badly.
    I think enforcing experienced ski drivers driving horseless carriages equipped with All Terrain mud and snow tyres, AWD drive train with a limited slip differential to fit chains is over kill.
    I think it is BOLLOCKS. I will decide where it is sketchy to proceed and then I will gladly fit my chains e.g. driving over Mt. Hotham is a good one where I do not need to be convinced at all , not one jot , to fit my chains!.

Could the resort give all of us old snow hands a letter or something so we don't have to grovel in the slush?

I had much more control of my car after I took the chains off at the pay station on the return trip. The snow plough machine squad were busy all day clearing the road.

Sean Sunley, Simon11, neilmny and 2 others like this.
  7. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

Good photos, thanks for sharing.

8. skifree

skifree Sort of old & definitely grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Now please confirm to us this was more fun than snow shoeing.

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Whizzing down the black runs with parallel skis at LM's Jubilee Trail on fresh snow was/is 100 times more fun than plodding on snow shoes. I do think that trail would be a bit hairy if it was icy.
    I wonder where the big scary machine groomer has gone on LM. There was no chookfooter groove track at all. It may have been there but it was buried in the maelstrom of snow.
    The simplest thing to do was ski in each other's track where possible.

skifree likes this.
  10. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

It must have been good you were almost in permanent grin mode :love: Well done on having a crack at Jubilee Mr Tee. You can't beat sking on fresh snow.
    It would be interesting to know what difference they have decided there is between AWD and 4WD o_O

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

AWD and 4 WD ….sigh . A Nuff Nuff driving either is the problem , not the car !
    T.P. is seen wearing the Red helmet and smiling. That is not me.

12. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Just been doing a little research on this Mr Tee.
    It seems 4WD provides constant and equal drive front and rear when engaged, AWD has a clutch, differential or some sort of electronic or viscous device that couples the front and rear but the amount of drive between front and rear is variable. This makes for less traction. But all AWD vehicles should be treated the same not just pick out one here and there.

I've got to say the issue of people directing chain fitting is a time honoured problem. We were going up Hothem one night in a Hilux (4WD engaged) and after paying at the old ticket booth were about to drive off when some "expert" within yelled at us to stop and fit our chains. What the? o_O He was clearly in panic mode and babbled on about carnage up there :eek: We saw no sign of anything minor let alone carnage on the rest of the trip up. The thing is if they say fit you gotta fit it's that simple. :thumbs:

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  13. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Ah yes on closer examination I can see that....but you would have been dancing inside no doubt :)

14. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

In the legislation there is no distinction between AWD and 4wd with regard to fitting chains. The distinction is only between the number of wheels receiving power (2 vs 4). AWD means all 4 wheels receive power. The man at the gate has no power to direct you to fit chains if you are driving either of the above (AWD or 4wd) and chains are not required. They are money collectors and not authorised officers. Only an authorised officer can direct you to fit chains. That is in the legislation also. The sign is displayed and what is on the sign is enforceable. An authorised officer can direct you to fit chains even if the sign displayed does not require it. If chains are required for all vehicles then people just have to suck it up. Makes no difference what car you drive or tyres fitted or experience.

15. Simon11

Simon11 Early Days

amazing day!!

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I didn't remonstrate with the man who was simply doing his job making everyone except 4 x 4 drivers with lockable differentials fit chains.

We did see a new Australian whose car was faaarked because he had not put his chains on properly and his Brake thingy had snapped.

He was totally stranded in a blizzard on the up hill drive about 2 kms from the Village :-0 .

I was lucky not to suffer that fate too because the rubber band and hook on my own wheel chains had snapped and the chains on one wheel had come loose :-0 .

That was silly of me not to just take that loose wheel chain off and avoid dicing with disaster.
    I went to Bunnings today and found a rubber tie down hook device which can be used as a bush repair job replacement until the peak snow season passes.
    Then I will order the right part from a KONIG dealer.
    The resort closed the hill to newcomers during the afternoon.
    They were all down at the Wood's Pt. Road junction blocking up the carriage way and throwing snow balls at each other.
    The Ski patroller with whom we spoke , out on the trails rightly identified the main clientele at LM as being "tourists" not skiers .Mt. Stirling has a built in numpty filter. It is not a tourist hill, it has a dirt access road and only us mob on planks have ever heard of it or could be bothered to drive up there and back in a day.
    I think Mt. Stirling has set the bar quite high for XC ski resort management and the road up there via Whittlesea, Yea and Mansfield avoids the Black Spur.

#16 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Simon11 likes this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I heard LM shut the road today. They seem to flinch when it actually snows. I have one more Mt. Stirling trip up my sleeve :) . They never shut the road !

18. Canbat

Canbat Hard Yards

You can get a quick idea how the day went at Lacks Mountain by looking at the Alpine Resort 360 and clicking on the fast forward. A few cars and Numps in the morning then by mid-arvo, snow crickets.

19. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Victoria Police shut the road today. As they did at Baw Baw.

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

We were lucky that we got to ski on 10/8/19 while it was nuking down. Now for tomorrow's drive up Mt. Buffalo's roads. We should get there by about 11 am , so the VicRoads snow plough will have done a lap by then.

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The hanging tree on the Jubilee trail waiting to crash onto a parallel planker .Photo by T.P.

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

T.P. loves his gadgets so here is the trip as measured by his handheld whatchamacallit .

neilmny and skifree like this.