Lapland Ski resorts for xmas

offshore

Hard Yards
Nov 29, 2018
Planning ahead for xmas next year and the aim is to be out of Sydney enjoying a white Christmas with the kids.

We've been to Lapland before, but not in winter.

What we're looking to do is spend the xmas week in a village up there that offers some degree of alpine skiing, plus a nice village atmosphere with other winter/xmas activities, such as dog sledding, northern lights spotting etc.

These are the resorts that I think meet the brief:
  • Levi
  • Yllas
  • Ruka
Levi and Ruka I have seen on Eurosport for world cup events and look reasonable. I heard about Yllas when I was was in Helsinki for a project and one of my colleagues went up there.

That's about all I know. Anyone got a personal experience or recommendation?

I appreciate the skiing on offer isn't going to be St Anton or Zermatt, but enough to keep us busy for a few days would be nice. It's not going to be a dedicated ski trip, but more of an xmas holiday with some skiing in the mix if that makes sense. Would even consider giving XC or snowshoeing a bash.

Reactions: skifree

offshore

Hard Yards
Nov 29, 2018
Thanks guys, I know about the daylight thing.

"Daytime" up there in December is just a long soft twilight, and night is, night. It's part of the reason people visit lapland at that time of year. If we went further south we'd just go to Austria, but then we'd miss the northern lights and the other lapland attractions.

Here's some footage of Ruka in the last few days, close to the winter solstice.

Really more hoping for some comments on those resorts. Hopefully some users have experience.

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
@Heinz have we found somewhere you have not been/ skied?

Ha, yes. I have skied north of Arctic circle but just in northern Norway, not Finland and in spring when the days were longer. These days I am no longer looking as far and wide, generally happy to revisit more familiar favourite regions.
So can't be of any assistance here.

Reactions: Hyst and skifree

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Not that far north but I went to trysil years back for new years. Was insanely cold, expensive and, not dark but an annoying low light the whole time.
Had fun though
I know a guy who lives well south of Lapland and every year gets excited when he sees the sun peep over the horizon, then gets disappointed when it disappears shortly after. He works in Kuopio - at about the same latitude as he lives.

offshore

Hard Yards
Nov 29, 2018
Bit of an update, this trip is ON!

I managed to pick up flights on points, so we're going. All 4 from Sydney to Helsinki just before 2020 xmas, via Tokyo on JAL with a 3 day stopover, which is pretty much ideal. Really happy to grab that flight combo, as I've usually found it super hard to find FF redemption seats at that time of year.

As for the resort, Levi is firming up as the preferred choice, with Ruka the other option.

This was the Aurora last night in Levi

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass