Lasik - mono or full 20/20?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Fisher’s Ghost, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:42 AM.

1. Fisher’s Ghost

Fisher’s Ghost Just Registered

G’day punters.

Having the peepers fricken lasered next week (short sighted -1.5), having difficulty with decision between mono and full corrective.

For snow sports, with regard to low light and depth perception, what’s your experience?

Thanks in advance.

W0nkey D0nkey likes this.
  2. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Watching with interest.

Blind. Need lasik.

CarveMan likes this.
  3. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Also following.
    Interested for youngest son.
    Apparently need to wait until mid 20s??
    He is +6

(Lol looks like 6yrs. He is 18 years, +6.00 vision)

4. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

My better half had PRK back at the end of July. So bad was her eyesight that she was legally blind.
    She struggled a fair bit in the recovery period, as one eye was worse than the other. Had some issues in the one eye where light was coming through in a more grey/blue than the other eye.
    However, now that it's been over 3 months, she's incredibly happy with the results.

5. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

At least your prostate is likely to be ok...;)
    We still haven"t forgiven you for the finance thread...someone even started a second.

Chaeron likes this.
  6. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I'm not too sure what you mean by mono or full? Do you mean one eye vs both eyes?

I had both eyes done at the same time about 7 years ago (was short sighted about -1.5 to -2 i think, slight astagmastim) ... vision is, and still is, near perfect in both eyes.

Best thing I ever did ... bloody fantastic.

Only thing I have noticed is that I do get more dry eye going on (and i do have some issues around inflamed / dry eyelids) ... however I suspect that's got a lot more to do with age and using computer screens / screens too much.

Chaeron likes this.
  7. Fisher’s Ghost

These days you are given two choices:
    1. correct both eyes to 20/20, risk deterioration of near vision.
    2. (mono) correct dominant eye to 20/20, correct non-dominant eye to less than 20/20. This allows for better near vision to the detriment of long distance and depth perception.

Interested in how those with mono go in tricky snow conditions.

Majik, I’ll always have excellent hand-eye coordination.

Majikthise likes this.
  8. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

ahhhh

OK, yes i was warned that by fixing both eyes and having perfect vision (which is bloody fantastic)... it may reduce near vision. In my case I think it did a tiny bit, but they said it will become an issue later in life... due to muscle ageing in the eyes (which will happen anyway, it's not an optical issue - its a muscle issue).

Thing is, that doesn't bother me ... if i have to put on some glasses to read the newspaper, that's fine ... that's easy and i could do that.

Whereas wearing glasses or contact lenses for skiiing / diving / surfing / living ... was a royal pain in the arse.

9. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I had mono done in 2006 - best thing ever - yielding a fully corrected left eye for distance and my naturally myopic right eye for reading
    I had previously been wearing one contact lens and had no issue adapting to the difference
    that started on my optometrist’s suggestion after I turned the magic age of 42 and noticed I was having trouble reading while wearing contacts in both eyes

10. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I wore glasses from age 13 to 26 and I hated it
    the only glasses I wear now are non-prescription ray-bans

11. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah I used to be stuck with contacts or glasses. Didn't bother me so much for day to day life, but doing anything at all like sports / travelling / water stuff , it was a deadset pain in the arse.

Glasses fogging, contacts irritating, losing them, smashing them ... rah rah rah.

person s likes this.
  12. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

My kid has been in fulltime glasss from 5 years old. The quickest turnaround was 3 days. 3 full days from brand new glasses to broken beyond all repair.
    It's less now, but LASIK is that light at the end of the 'arghhhh, I broke my glasses again' tunnel.
    Good to hear people's personal experiences. I'd be scared to do both eyes at the same time - what if Doc was having a bad day...

13. DeskRider

DeskRider Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Very similar experience here @Darb - had both eyes done in 2013 (got better than 20/20), best 5k i've ever spent. Only side effect is a bit of dry eye every now and again (probably from screens), easy fixed with a drop or two.

No problem so far with my near vision.

14. Darb

Darb Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

The fear around two eyes is legit.

What it the Lasik machine has a virus!

I was asking all sorts of questions, down to what if the building shudders (the room / machine is stabilised apparently).

I found it very challenging keeping my eye stationary, staring up at the red laser and being told "don't move your eyes" ... the machine does accommodate small eye fidgeting during the procedure, but it's still a bit of a panic-inducing procedure.

All over in minutes ... 2 days later driving down to Margaret River giving the wife the shits when I could read number plates on a vehicle hundreds of meters away.

mannyk and LMB like this.
  15. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Welcome back

16. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage

FYI Xmas dumplings and drinks this friday...paddington. Drummers permitted.

17. gaz35

gaz35 Active Member

had both eyes done in 2000. Still perfect vision now. As someone else said a little dry eye from time to time (usually associated with a night on the gas!!) and need reading glasses as I have got older.

18. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook!

I had both eyes done to better than 20/20 in 2000. Fantastic ever since

19. Fisher’s Ghost

Thanks for responses.

Person s, you’re the only one who went mono. Wondering if you have interests besides skiing that rely on depth perception. I’m 42 but still stupid enough to ride motorcycles etc

Any others prepared to state your age at time of surgery?

Could almost cop wearing specs for reading, but for other close work I do they’d be intolerable.

Really struggling with this decision.

20. DeskRider

DeskRider Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

32 when I had mine done

21. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook!

easy on big guy!

22. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook!

2000 = 33 y.o.

23. gaz35

gaz35 Active Member

37 in 2000. Before that I used to play footy with one contact lense with no "depth perception" type issues. One eye just couldn't handle a contact lense.

I think the ophthalmologist told me at the time you could have one eye done and then do the other later, but you would only do that if cashflow was an issue. Times have changed since then and maybe they have discovered a good reason for only having one done, but really wasn't talked about as an option for me.

24. Fisher’s Ghost

Thanks.

The idea is not to just fix one eye, but fix one to some lesser degree than the other.

‘99%’ was the quote at the assessment, but I’m guessing that was proverbial.

25. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

my ophthalmologist told me I should abandon any aspiration to be a test batsman, which is ok because I don’t like cricket anyway
    I don’t see any problem with motorcycling, though I haven’t ridden a bike since I had the surgery - which was in 2006 when I was 54
    certainly there’s no issue with driving
    my motivation in going mono in contacts and subsequently via surgery was all about never having to wear glasses
    I particularly dislike lookover glasses
    the most striking thing about the change to monovision was how easily I adjusted to it

26. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

All the lasik in the world won't prevent you from needing reading glasses as you hit 50 or thereabouts. Close in focus is a muscle function, not a lens function.

Claude Cat likes this.
  27. Fisher’s Ghost

28. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

hence monovision
    my uncorrected eye reads just fine
    I’m a fair bit over 50

29. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Won't forever though. I guess at that point you have that one corrected for distance and get some readers.

30. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I asked about that - advice was that I should be ok
    can’t predict everything, but after 11 years it is all ok, and I’m very old
    my concern about this originated in a friend having lasik in both eyes and then wearing readers
    I was shocked!
    not sure why I would ever need the reading eye corrected
    as a note of caution, I was advised that I was a suitable candidate for mono because I don’t have very severe myopia
    it clearly wouldn’t suit people who have -5 or worse
    useful info

31. Fisher’s Ghost

Yes I had read that. Quote:

When a presbyopic patient is considering refractive surgery it is paramount that a thorough discussion is given on presbyopia and options for the patient. All too often, patients will seek refractive surgery and not realize they will still need the use of reading glasses. Counseling for presbyopic patients depends on the refractive state. The first catagory of patients are the hyperopic or farsighted patients, and many astigmatics. This type of patient is usually wearing bifocal glasses full time. They tend to understand the concept of presbyopia as they are wearing glasses full time. This type of patient has two choices, see clearly at a distance and continue to wear glasses for reading, or employ monovision to see both near and far. The second type of patient is the myopic or nearsighted patient. This patient can see clearly to read without glasses, but wears them for distance. These patients often do not realize that once refractive surgery is performed, they will lose the ability to see up close, since they do not have a problem in their current state. This is often a hard concept to grasp. For some patients, they will decide not to undergo refractive surgery if they will lose their near vision. Others will decide distance vision is more important, and will wear the reading glasses, and others will choose monvison. The last type of patient is the patient who only needs reading glasses. This patient may elect to have monovision inorder to relieve their need for reading glasses. This patient will usually only need one eye corrected.

Specs for reading would be almost bearable, but for blokes’ tasks like working on cars or penciling my eyebrows they’d be a right pain in the eye.

person s likes this.
  32. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I’m the ‘last type’ per that quote
    reminds me of Arlo Guthrie’s spiel

33. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

You are a couple of years older than me. My vision is -4.75 in both eyes. At this age I have noticed that my old glasses, much lower prescription are fine for computer stuff and even tv watching, driving etc needs a recent prescription, but I still don't require glasses to read.

34. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

I had to put my strong glasses on to see what you did there. Well played. :thumbs:

35. Townsend

Townsend Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

I had both eyes done with Lasek(incredibly painful burning of your eyes one at a time) When I had to go back for the second eye a fortnight after the first I was really nervous as I knew what I was letting myself in for. I also knew that I would need reading glasses immediately. My choice was reading glasses or glasses under goggles forever as I couldn’t wear contacts.

Best thing I have ever done. Ended up with 40/20 vision! Reading glasses are fine once you get used to them. Skiing and cycling with perfect vision is fantastic!