Last gen of Subaru Impreza/XV/Forester without EyeSight & Start Stop?

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021
I'm in the market for a 2nd hand Impreza (edit: Hatch)/XV/Forester to replace my Camry, but am not really keen on the whole self-assisted driving thing as I think they're an unnecessary distraction.

I was wondering what are the last model years for all 3 models that don't have EyeSight and Start Stop? Thanks.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Out of interest, I bought an impreza 2018 with the full eyesight. I thought I would hate it, but now actually love it, and find it hard to drive other cars that don't have the tech. It actually is very good and not too instrusive. Really helps in heavy city traffic in particular. Only autonomous emergency braking and lane keeping assistant are active by default. Auto cruise control, stop start, automatic steering etc need to be actively switched on.

When I bought my impreza, current model in 2018, it was only the Premium (top of the range) model that had the full eyesight. Not sure if and when it filtered down to other impreza variants.

Reactions: Ding

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
All Levorgs have start stop and Eyesight as far as I know...
They're expensive for what they are.
They Eyesight as Robbo says is fantastic.
You get used to the Start /Stop.

My critique is the box. CVT is a bit meh

CVT is very meh:( Fuel economy in subis is very meh as well:( Otherwise great cars. My daughter has a levorg, which is a really underated car. Basically WRX drivetrain in a big station wagon:)

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021
Out of interest, I bought an impreza 2018 with the full eyesight. I thought I would hate it, but now actually love it, and find it hard to drive other cars that don't have the tech. It actually is very good and not too instrusive. Really helps in heavy city traffic in particular. Only autonomous emergency braking and lane keeping assistant are active by default. Auto cruise control, stop start, automatic steering etc need to be actively switched on.

When I bought my impreza, current model in 2018, it was only the Premium (top of the range) model that had the full eyesight. Not sure if and when it filtered down to other impreza variants.

Was it the hatch version you bought?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
CVT is very meh:( Fuel economy in subis is very meh as well:( Otherwise great cars. My daughter has a levorg, which is a really underated car. Basically WRX drivetrain in a big station wagon:)
Yeah they are a great Freeway cruiser .
Big boot as well.
We had fun in one.
Especially with snowtyres.
86172056_10157271172103178_6565790469027004416_o.jpg

Reactions: piolet
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
The skis have to be placed diagonally (with the backseats down)?
Depends how tall you are! I have a 2008 Impreza, like robbo, my bikes fit easily in the back with wheel on. My skis fit lengthways as do I. Last season I slept in it.

But yes, back seat folded down, or at least 1/3 split folded down.

Reactions: skifree and Ding

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021
Depends how tall you are! I have a 2008 Impreza, like robbo, my bikes fit easily in the back with wheel on. My skis fit lengthways as do I. Last season I slept in it.

But yes, back seat folded down, or at least 1/3 split folded down.

Looking at max 177cms skis

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
We got a 2019 XV and the base model at the time didn't have Eyesight. I'm so glad we got the model with Eyesight though, it's been way handier for start/stop traffic than I ever imagined.
Active Cruise Control, Lane Assist, Blind Spot Monitoring, Auto High Beam etc. are all a worthwhile addition on long trips too. I'm a fan of the technology.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
BSM should be a compulsory feature for new cars!

Interestingly I have noticed varying degrees of sensitivity in them with mercs being the least, very noticeable on a motorcycle

Reactions: PMG

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
Active Cruise Control, Lane Assist, Blind Spot Monitoring, Auto High Beam etc. are all a worthwhile addition on long trips too. I'm a fan of the technology.
Agreed. This is my first auto car and first time with cruise control let alone all the assistive features - driving to the snow is soooooooooo much less fatiguing than in my old suzi! The CVT can be a bit laggy and annoying but it's a small price to pay for the comfort of the other features IMO.

Reactions: Chalkie and PMG

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
A couple of years ago I got one of the new cars as a loaner while mine was being serviced, the Subaru rep told that I could turn some of the features off if I wanted.

I don't know how true that is, and what can & can't be turned off, but when I get my next car with all of these features I will certainly turn some of them off as I found driving with them on a chore to understand and cope with - especially lane assist pushing the car against my steering input because it "thought" i was drifting out of the lane.

While it doesn't really apply to the subject of this thread I also found the hybrid Subarus to be VERY slow on take off. It feels like the computers take a bit of time to decide between using the battery and the petrol motors which results in a lag between pressing the accelerator and movement. Not a lot but it is noticeable. It certainly is not worth the extra money.

Reactions: Ding

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021
A couple of years ago I got one of the new cars as a loaner while mine was being serviced, the Subaru rep told that I could turn some of the features off if I wanted.

I don't know how true that is, and what can & can't be turned off, but when I get my next car with all of these features I will certainly turn some of them off as I found driving with them on a chore to understand and cope with - especially lane assist pushing the car against my steering input because it "thought" i was drifting out of the lane.

While it doesn't really apply to the subject of this thread I also found the hybrid Subarus to be VERY slow on take off. It feels like the computers take a bit of time to decide between using the battery and the petrol motors which results in a lag between pressing the accelerator and movement. Not a lot but it is noticeable. It certainly is not worth the extra money.

I studied the features and active cruise control, where the car automatically keeps a distance from the car in front, is the only feature I want. Good for long drive, but even that I can live without it.

The last Impreza and XV without start stop were the 2011 models.

https://www.subaru.com.au/news/australian-start-stop-first-subaru

It appears you cannot permanently disable start stop without some kind of hack. It has to be turned off everytime you start a car.

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021
I think it's high time fo car manufacturers to come up with Analog Special Edition versions of new cars without all the hi-tech bells and whistles. Shave 10% off the RRP to compensate for the removal of this tech stuff.

They're idling car plants because of a fire in a chip factory in Japan has cut off supply of chips, which are used for all the intelligent driving assist tech:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ow-idle-as-chip-supplies-dry-up?sref=RJ2RlMrh

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-renesas-fire-autos-idUSKBN2BE05I

https://www.reuters.com/article/autos-subaru-chips-idUSL1N2KB0EJ

Shoe brands release throw back shoes all the time. I don't see why the same concept cannot be applied to cars. Of course, we want our power windows and reverse cameras and GPS and such and I don't think the chips for those are affected by the chip plant fire. As an anecdotal example, read any comment in a youtube video on how to disable Start Stop and commenters lament the pervasiveness of Start Stop and I think there's a big market out there for people who don't want this intelligent driving tech. Could also explain the increase in price of 2nd hand cars.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I think it's high time fo car manufacturers to come up with Analog Special Edition versions of new cars without all the hi-tech bells and whistles. Shave 10% off the RRP to compensate for the removal of this tech stuff.

They're idling car plants because of a fire in a chip factory in Japan has cut off supply of chips, which are used for all the intelligent driving assist tech:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ow-idle-as-chip-supplies-dry-up?sref=RJ2RlMrh

Shoe brands release throw back shoes all the time. I don't see why the same concept cannot be applied to cars. Of course, we want our power windows and reverse cameras and GPS and such and I don't think the chips for those are affected by the chip plant fire. As an anecdotal example, read any comment in a youtube video on how to disable Start Stop and commenters lament the pervasiveness of Start Stop and I think there's a big market out there for people who don't want this intelligent driving tech. Could also explain the increase in price of 2nd hand cars.

The thing is a lot of the safety stuff is now either mandated (eg stability control) or required for good ANCAP rating (eg autonomous braking, speed assistance system etc, etc), so all the safety stuff is here to stay.

I’m old enough to remember people demanding cars without seatbelts, or more recently ABS etc. The truth is, all of these systems do work, and save lives. Also stops a lot of more minor crashes as well.

Auto stop start is a different thing altogether. Not safety related.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
Start stop is eu emissions compliance nothing to do with fuel economy nor engine life which the mazda saleman insisted.
Pita

Blind spot monitoring should be standard in all cars as should reverse cameras in SUVs/4WDs and other vehicles with poor rear vision - ditto the extraordinary sensors on the back of my mazda which seem to be able to detect a toddler coming around a corner behind the car.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

http://www.caterhamcars.com.au/

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021
The thing is a lot of the safety stuff is now either mandated (eg stability control) or required for good ANCAP rating (eg autonomous braking, speed assistance system etc, etc), so all the safety stuff is here to stay.

I’m old enough to remember people demanding cars without seatbelts, or more recently ABS etc. The truth is, all of these systems do work, and save lives. Also stops a lot of more minor crashes as well.

Auto stop start is a different thing altogether. Not safety related.

I would compare this more to airlines going from having lots of leg room to packing people like sardines. Or appliances having longer life spans to having built-in planned obsolescene. Or central banks discouraging the use of paper notes for trackable digital currencies.

Not everything new is good for the consumer. Some new innovations are for the benefit of government and corporations.

Take paper money for example. Germany has the highest per capita use of paper money in the whole world at more than 80%. Nobody would argue they're a backwards third world nation just because they still like paying for stuff with notes and coins. But no, let's ban paper money and move on to tapping the phone for transactions just because we don't want to fall behind "hi-tech" countries like China.

Same thing is happening with cars I'm afraid.

Last edited:

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I studied the features and active cruise control, where the car automatically keeps a distance from the car in front, is the only feature I want. Good for long drive, but even that I can live without it.
A few years ago I borrowed a car with active cruise, then and there I decided that it was the first non-negotiable feature that any new car I buy must have.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.

I have a car with most of the safety gew gaws. You get used to them very quickly. The steering nudge for lane keeping took longest but I didn't notice that after a couple of months.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
My parents are also wanting this. Which is why they are now considering (after a few Sante Fe's) a Mitsi Outlander.

Adaptive CC for the win though. Comma to Jindy without hitting the breaks. If someone is in front of you going through Berridale, the car slows to 60 and speed up again the other side!

And agree it helps - even just mentally. Not getting road ragey when you come up behind someone at speed. those how get antsy at that need to take a chill pill.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I would compare this more to airlines going from having lots of leg room to packing people like sardines. Or appliances having longer life spans to having built-in planned obsolescene. Or central banks discouraging the use of paper notes for trackable digital currencies.

Not everything new is good for the consumer. Some new innovations are for the benefit of government and corporations.

Take paper money for example. Germany has the highest per capita use of paper money in the whole world at more than 80%. But nobody would argue they're a backwards third world nation just because they still like paying for stuff with notes and coins. But no, let's ban paper money and move on to tapping the phone for transactions just because we don't want to fall behind "hi-tech" countries like China.

Same thing is happening with cars I'm afraid.
Germany higher than Japan?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
And agree it helps - even just mentally. Not getting road ragey when you come up behind someone at speed.
That's absolutely it in a nutshell. When you're coming home from Buller in the conga line of taillights, overtaking is futile, just put on radar cruise, play some tunes and let the computer shield you from the fact that the numpty in front of the queue is doing 87 and speeding up to 110 on the overtaking lanes / wider/straighter bits of road.

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
That's absolutely it in a nutshell. When you're coming home from Buller in the conga line of taillights, overtaking is futile, just put on radar cruise, play some tunes and let the computer shield you from the fact that the numpty in front of the queue is doing 87 and speeding up to 110 on the overtaking lanes / wider/straighter bits of road.
Yep - if my parents were calm driver's I would support them not using it. They are not.

Suspect kids would sleep better on the smoother ride too!

Reactions: CarveMan

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
the thing that adaptive cruise control does is, that if you don't keep an eye on it, it slows gradually as you catch up to a car. Even if there is an overtaking lane you subtly find yourself doing a few ks under the limit when you don't have to be. Mine also goes a bit nuts if someone pulls over to the left. But you learn to deal with these things.

Reactions: PMG and CarveMan

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I drive a very Analogue car... Rodeo manual ute.
Less Analogue iload ( has ABS , traction control etc)
Then a Subaru...

Its so fatiguing driving Analogue vehicles.
Exhausted by the end of 8 hr day.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
My parents are also wanting this. Which is why they are now considering (after a few Sante Fe's) a Mitsi Outlander.

Adaptive CC for the win though. Comma to Jindy without hitting the breaks. If someone is in front of you going through Berridale, the car slows to 60 and speed up again the other side!

And agree it helps - even just mentally. Not getting road ragey when you come up behind someone at speed. those how get antsy at that need to take a chill pill.

I find the adaptive cruise very helpful when going through roadworks zones that are at 40 or 60 in what is otherwise a 100 zone. Far less frustrating to travel at the lower speed when it's not your foot having to be gentle.

As far as heading to Jindy, I prefer to go via Full Stop and have a nice rest, rather than a brief pause at Comma.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
there are so many areas of road works going to Cooma, and Canberra. have to contend with both tomorrow.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
Do they not have a temporary disable switch? The mazda does, i press it each time i drive to turn it off.
Ive read of various hacks from jamming paper in to hold the button down to circuitry to mimick the button signal

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Do they not have a temporary disable switch? The mazda does, i press it each time i drive to turn it off.
Ive read of various hacks from jamming paper in to hold the button down to circuitry to mimick the button signal
Buttons are so last decade.

Now you have to click and swipe your way through menus on ever-enlarging touchscreens. Soon they'll be rivalling entry level TV's for size.

chrisj

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Terrigal, Darkinjung country
the thing that adaptive cruise control does is, that if you don't keep an eye on it, it slows gradually as you catch up to a car. Even if there is an overtaking lane you subtly find yourself doing a few ks under the limit when you don't have to be. Mine also goes a bit nuts if someone pulls over to the left. But you learn to deal with these things.
The adaptive cruise control can be annoying under light to moderate traffic freeway conditions, because, as you say, your car slows for the car in front without you realising it, when you would really rather change lanes and pass. I switch to normal cruise control under those conditions. Where the adaptive CC is a godsend is on the M1 during the morning peak, aptly described as "gridlock at 110 kph". It is a great relief to be able to move with the traffic at that speed without worrying about the car in front slamming on the brakes unexpectedly.

Reactions: CarveMan

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021

I think all cars have a button that lets you disable it. But it gets enabled again on restart. The device makes the last selection, whether enable or disable, permanent even on restart.

Reactions: piolet

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
The adaptive cruise control can be annoying under light to moderate traffic freeway conditions, because, as you say, your car slows for the car in front without you realising it, when you would really rather change lanes and pass. I switch to normal cruise control under those conditions. Where the adaptive CC is a godsend is on the M1 during the morning peak, aptly described as "gridlock at 110 kph". It is a great relief to be able to move with the traffic at that speed without worrying about the car in front slamming on the brakes unexpectedly.
Has the RAV got a digital display?

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Yes. Why?
They make it easier when you're approaching a car and want to avoid slowing down on the open road. We have acc on both our cars but only mine has a dd which has a graphic for the upcoming car which makes it easier to judge when to change lanes. Love the way you can change the info you want to display too.

Reactions: chrisj
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass