1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Last minute Niseko and Sapporo trip for Xmas

Discussion in 'Japan' started by 'H' Jones, Nov 17, 2019.

1. 'H' Jones

'H' Jones One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Guys n Gals,

So, I decided reasonably late to head to Niseko for a few days skiing and then a week in Sapporo for Xmas period. We have a weeks skiing in France in March but wanted a few extra days to help my wifes learning path annnnnd to have a lovely white Xmas.

2 adults, my wife a beginner skier, 3 weeks experience only, I will put her in a morning lesson for the 3 days skiing we have at Niseko then ski with her in the pm.
    Flying into Chitose.

May I ask,
    1) easiest way to get from Chitose to our accom (Kozue) a little way from the slopes. Not my choice, but joining friends for the ski part. I don't want a 3 part transfer option, something convenient , either door to door or collection from airport to somewhere close , private or shared, what do u guys use normally ?

2) She needs hire skis, boots, poles. Beginner level, anyone u recommend in particular ?
    Maybe I will even buy her boots, we ski every year and rental adds up haha.
    I will probably leave my skis at home, and hire. We are away about 11 days and only have 3 days skiing. Not sure it is worth dragging my skis over, I will take my boots tho. So, I will hire advanced skis for 3 days.

3) After skiing we head back to Sapporo on 22nd Dec for a week. Any suggestions on best transfer option ? We are staying in the Odori area near the park and shopping.

4) finally, suggestions for Sapporo activities or close by places to visit ?
    Is shopping any good , for ski gear and otherwise ?

Thanks heaps all, a last minute decision so I appreciate your time in our first ski trip to Japan.

2. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

A day skiing at Sapporo Teine. Bus from the city apparently.

'H' Jones and Pink like this.
  3. silva

silva One of Us

Kimski and 'H' Jones like this.
  4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Easiest way door to door from the airport if you’re not concerned about cost is a private transfer - Skybus (hmm they may have changed their name a year or so ago, I’ll go look)

Hire gear: Rhythm

Sapporo: Sapporo Beer Museum
    Or take the train to Yoichi to tour the Nikka Distillery.

'H' Jones and grantn like this.
  5. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Yep.
    Now called Sky Express
    https://www.skyexpress.jp/

Also why not go check out the Olympic Ski Jump while you’re in Sapporo.

'H' Jones likes this.
  6. grantn

grantn Addicted

'H' Jones likes this.
  7. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

A week in Sapporo is quite a long time.

I'd see some of the Hokkaido countryside

fennekeg and 'H' Jones like this.
  8. 'H' Jones

thank u all for your suggestions. All noted and will be acted on. Rhythm Sport booking done. And yeah, I was thinking that re a week there. Will head to Otari ?? and research a couple of other nearish places for a day trip. Thanks heaps :)

9. Pink

Pink One of Us

'H' Jones likes this.
  10. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Do you mean Otaru? Cute little city good for a day trip.

'H' Jones likes this.
  11. 'H' Jones

oops, yep, sorry, the canal looks cute

12. Any

Any One of Us

Kozue in Hirafu Niseko? thats right in the middle of the village, not far from the slopes at all.
    I'd probably walk from there to the beginner lift next to the vale to go ski. 400-500m. it's flat ish walk too, not uphill.

options to get to Hirafu are train+taxi, bus, or private transfer (already mentioned).
    train is still my preferred because you don't have to book anything, so it doesn't matter if your flight is late. 1800 yen each from Chitose to Kutchan + 2000 yen for taxi. there is sometimes at platform change at Otaru, no stairs involved usually tho. but there will be stairs for the bridge over the tracks at Kutchan. do not get off at Hirafu station!
    bus will drop you at welcome center in Hirafu. 4000 yen. google for goodsports whiteliner or hokkaido access network. getting from there to your accom 1km away is another story. there are sometimes taxis waiting at welcome center, often not. and some accom providers provide transport from/to welcome center.
    private transfer already mentioned. expect approx 60000 yen?

I'd probably go back by train to Sapporo too, subway to Odori, and use the underground shopping mall to get near to hotel.

Rhythm will guaranteed have good quality stock to rent for skis/etc. But I wouldn't be so sure for other places, like Teine. Not sure how'd you keep and then return any gear later tho.
    Bootsolutions is right next door to Rhythm. They'll also have a satellite inside the new building when it opens too.

imo best ski shop in Sapporo is the Sapporo Paddle Store. its between Chitose and Sapporo, but takes a short subway and 5 minute walk to get there tho.

'H' Jones likes this.
  13. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Or you could go there on the way to Sapporo and stay a night. (Via the train). Its a great train ride

14. 'H' Jones

thanks for the info on Kozue Any and the detailed instructions, yeah it is pretty central, close to Rhythm in Main street where we will collect gear, I may even be tempted to demo skis, my Mantra's are a little old haha.

And Donzah, good call re Otaru, we did intend taking a train back to Sapporo, so an overnight seems perfect, thanks for the idea.