1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

last week skiing at Falls Creek

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by nosnowski, Apr 30, 2013.

1. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

Not quite but close enough [​IMG]

#1 nosnowski, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  2. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

After about 15 minutes of trying the new gear in a carpark Mitch decided to hit the road.

Category

Sports
    License

Standard YouTube License

Uploader Comments (nosnowski)

Cloxxki

Cloxxki 2 days ago

What's the gradient of that road? Any updated to the skates?

They carve similarly visually than the Crosskates I have, but stand lower and seemed to carve tighter and with less speed loss.

How are they for emergency stops?
    ·
    nosnowski

nosnowski 1 day ago

The gradient of the road is between 3 and 5 degrees depending on the section. This is an improved version of my Rollercarvers but with a lighter frame/platform. Unlike in crosskates my wheels turn in sync on rolling the knees on the edge so the device really carves. The radius can be as short as 1.5m and therefore it is pretty easy to control speed and brake by performing a tight turn. However, there is also a simple braking mechanism that takes advantage of ski poles.
    · in reply to Cloxxki

#2 Nidecker, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

hmm

Mitch is no ordinary skier - he's really hot, features in lots of shots by local professional photographers. you would not know it from this footage so that suggests that they are not easy to use well

4. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I've never seen downhill roller skiing before, I've been wanting to take up nordic roller skiing but are a bit reluctant because it sounds difficult to brake.

5. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

Currawong,
    you need to take into account that it was his first run after just a few turns in a carpark (and no skiing for long months). Also, Mitch was not in the best form suffering from the flu so we stopped after just one run. Mastering rollercarvers is easier than learning how to carve on the snow and the movements are transferable. This is what Mitch wrote to me in his email this morning:

"As with a ski, it took me a couple of turns, literally, to find the balance point and how to close and elongate my trajectory. I was amazed to find that within minutes my natural skiing
    ability took over and enabled me to use the Rollercarvers in a fashion so similar to skiing it was uncanny.
    After about 15 minutes on a steady slope in a Falls Creek car park, I found myself confident and wanting to find a larger slope to really give them a go. I went out into the car park/fringes of the main road and headed down. I was elated. Immediately I was able to string turns together, both short and long radius."

6. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

Rollercarvers have a short turning radius of about 1.5m which allows for pretty good speed control. They also have a simple braking mechanism that is used by planting ski poles near their outer edges. I have been using them for quite some time and only had to brake once and it was more due to me getting scared of my speed that any real danger. They are surprisingly stable.

#6 nosnowski, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  7. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

That looks like so much fun ! The kids & I would give it a shot for sure !
    What's the set up like ? Where can you get them & what sort of price would you pay ?

8. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

while they do look like they would be a lot of fun, where could you actually (legally) use them ?

what surfaces can you use them on ?

i assume you need a paved road and that they aren't designed for "off road" use ?

9. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

So I was getting impatient & googled it ! It showed that there is a website coming soon - I'm presuming they will be selling them ! But other than that & the utube video above nothing came up !

10. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

This is just a prototype that is based on my design. Trying to come up with something that is close to skiing off season has been my long time hobby motivated by our painfully short skiing seasons. I would be happy to ask the guy who made them how much he would charge for more. I got four pairs made for me and friends but since it involved a bit of development it wasn't cheap. If you are interested let's take it offline. You can message me if you want.

#10 nosnowski, May 1, 2013
  11. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

From the legal point of view it does not seem to be different than skateboarding which according to this site can be done on most undivided roads with no more than 50Kph speed limit . Most of the time I do it in a sloping car park in a business park near my place. It's practically empty after 6pm and well lit so I can even do it at night when I'm back from work. I also use a no through road near the Cardinia Reservoir on the outskirts of Melbourne. I tried gravel roads and it is even more fun. The gear is equipped with 6" pneumatic tyres. You can see from the video that Mitch was going over drain grates to see how they handle rough patches and there was no problem there.

It is a very good workout especially when you skate push uphill. Last year I did it for a few weeks before my ski travel to Austria and could hit the slopes full on day one with no sore muscles on the next day.

#11 nosnowski, May 1, 2013
  12. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

see my other response. It's a prototype based on my design.

#12 nosnowski, May 1, 2013
  13. Stratus

Stratus A Local

14. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

I got a message from Mitch that he bought a new go pro camera and will try all sorts of things when he is back from his overseas trip so stay tuned.

#14 nosnowski, May 7, 2013
  15. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

More rollercarving action from Mitch. This time steeper slope, higher tyre pressure and a bit more speed.

There is still more to come.

#15 nosnowski, May 29, 2013
  16. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Tell Mitch to give them a real go and tip them over before i fall asleep [​IMG]

#16 parkmonkey, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  17. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

When Mitch turned into the unsealed road he did his usual thing jumping over bushes and cliff edges but unfortunately the truck driver missed the turn so it was not caught on camera [​IMG].

On a more serious note though, I bet that you would have problems falling asleep riding the gear rather than watching it.

#17 nosnowski, May 29, 2013
  18. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I liked the bit when he turned.

#18 Donza, May 29, 2013
  19. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

and now some dirt, loose stones and sand otherwise known as a dry land version of crud

#19 nosnowski, May 30, 2013
  20. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Cracking - put me on the list for a pair svp. I've been fantasizing about doing the Hotham road on rollerblades for a while now but these look better.

21. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

These are rollerblades on steroids. Best of luck with the venture - I can see quite a few sales happening (at least to forumites).

22. nosnowski

nosnowski Hard Yards

I'd love to manufacture them in Australia but finding anyone who would like to do it has been quite a challenge. At this stage it looks that they will likely be made in EU by a snow and water sports gear manufacturer :-(

#22 nosnowski, Jun 12, 2013