1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Last year I said I wouldn't but....

Discussion in 'Charlotte Pass' started by Dusty B, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Dusty B

Dusty B One of Us

We are rebooking in the next week for CP for a week in August. I really hope the poop that went down last year stays in the past.

Honestly there is not a better option then staying on the snow at CP where I can do a little bit of traversing and 5 minute hikes to get freshies all week, plus getting my 3 year old onto skis for the first time (although the the way that the 18 month old is going she might beat him to it this year).

CP forever!!

2. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty

Lodge booking/ballot form is in front of me and needs to be lodged this week.... only decision is which weeks.

3. BronnyBean

BronnyBean One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We're going down in August - probably 1st week we think. Can't stay at CP though - too expensive. Will be making ample use of the daytripper option however!

4. Dusty B

Dusty B One of Us

Aiming for 2nd week of August, dependant on demand (low on credits).

5. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

booked in 3rd week Aug :) Lets hope its a little improved over last year...

6. wiggle

wiggle Hard Yards

Same manager still there. Remains to be seen...

7. Dusty B

Dusty B One of Us

That's not pleasing news. I thought with the overwhelming critism of last year's management things would surely change. If this is true, I wont be buying a weekly lift ticket, I will just buy day passes when it is nice (along with the snow). I am already dreading the snowcat with the woeful ways they ran last year.

Buggar.

8. maps

maps Hard Yards

We were looking to maybe go again this year, I might have missed it last time but there seems to be more fees on the oversnow this year. One bag per person then $5 per bag and $5 / person / sector if you change the time of departure.

Feels a bit like one of the low cost airlines where you might not have certainty about if you are going to be slugged extra cost or not.

9. Dusty B

Dusty B One of Us

Any further news on resort management? Do we know if there are changes to key personnel that caused many of the issues associated with last year? Or any resort standards been put into place to counter those problems of last year?

Another intriguing question? Do we know of any other staff that are choosing to return or not return after last year?

10. Schneeteufel

Schneeteufel First Runs

I heard through my lodge that the great ski school director resigned as a result of the situation last year, and now most of the Ski School staff are not returning because of this, especially all the high end and experienced instructors.

11. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

That is correct.Mick G ad wife Carolyn not returning as well as Tom G.All 3 will be massive loss and very hard to replace especially Tom with all his back country tours.He is off to Thredbo, if anyone wants a good instructor you will not go wrong with him..Mick and Caroyln's son(Luke) last year went to thredbo as well,so if your after race training ask for him.There is also talk Asher will not return.I guy with almost 40years experience in mountain operations.
    I hope their replacements are half as good.
    Sago

12. Schneeteufel

Schneeteufel First Runs

Heard Victoria, Dan, and Michelle wont be there either, the kids are going to miss those guys..

13. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Might have to take up instructing part time the way it's looking.Mick Davies from ski japan got offered ski school director but declined it.I hope there is some staff there this year.

14. Schneeteufel

Schneeteufel First Runs

I heard that about Mick D as well.. I wonder what will happen with the Standard Race, now that all the long term staff are not there anymore..

15. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

I suspect a lot more gold's will be given out now with Tom and Luke now gone.I might have to dust of the race ski's.
    Sago

16. Schneeteufel

Schneeteufel First Runs

Thats if they run it

17. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

You may be right.
    They need someone with experience to set it up.

18. Schneeteufel

Schneeteufel First Runs

Who would be experienced at the resort to run the race with everyone leaving?
    The race is always a highlight at the end of the week, trying to get that elusive gold medal, everyone in the family enjoys it. I use to watch them rope off the run early in the morning and start setting the course, which got the whole lodge excited, but what a great way to finish a holiday. I can see that it takes a lot of effort to setup and tear down, for that one 30sec run, but, if it makes people want to come back next year, then they should keep it alive!

19. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Well maybe the should offer Luke G the big bucks to come back and run the ski school.From what i hear he has just passed his level 3 Canadian race coach certificate so he would be more than qualified to run ski school and the standard race.He used to be acting ski school director on Mick's day off.
    Well that's only a wish.He has set himself well up at Threbo now so it would have to be big incentive for him to come back.

20. Schneeteufel

Schneeteufel First Runs

I remember him, always used to kick everyones butt in the standard race!! I got him to teach my kids some race lessons at charlottes in 2008, and now i can't keep up with them!! wow thats amazing what he has achieved!! I just talked to another buddy of mine who is an instructor.. he said with that coach level, he is qualified to coach world cup!! I might have to go and check out Thredbo this year, because i doubt he'll ever be back, and i don't blame him after the fiasco the last few seasons

21. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

i suppose we will just have to wait and see what staff they will get this year.

22. Nidecker

We are/were very new to CP (two years only) but were planning on spending the bulk of our ski time for the next 5 to 10 years there. Tommy G taught my daughter a couple of times :)

As members of a club with lodges at more than one resort, we have chosen to split our time this year between Tredbo and CP this year.

We never would have done this if it wasn't for our experiences last year. It's just CP feels like it has become a little too hit and miss. This news confirms our decision. (Made in Jan I might add)

They really need to ramp up the quality/consistency of the resort management, this is not an observation about the individual personalities, but about the overall "vibe" at the resort, unless the owner is looking for one HUGE tax deduction :).

23. Dusty B

Dusty B One of Us

No surprises on the lack of long term staff choosing not to return. But disappointing. Sago, is it confirmed that the same resort manager is continuing in the role despite last years performance?

The standard race is an absolute highlight of the week. I will be bitterly disappointed if it doesn't run when we are there. I am addicted to the little gold badges, I just want more. I know many many people that have vowed not to make a day trip back to CP until management changes, this is a lot of revenue that they wont see due to the problems of last year.

Personally because my kids are 2 and 3, CP is the best place to take them to teach them to ski and now days getting on the mountain is more about them then it is about me. But if we have the same problem again this year with snow and transport management, next year we will pay a few more bucks and set up annual pilgramage to Hotham.

Keep us in the loop regarding staff and any information on resort plans for the year.

24. Nidecker

My daughter will be 7 this year, she loves CP, but we have EXACTLY the same reservations as you. Whilst CP "might" be the best place for her, it's certainly not the only place for her. Skiing for me will be all about her for the next 7/8 years!

#24 Nidecker, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  25. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Hi Dusty B,
    As far as i am aware Jamie is still running the resort.
    He has for sure made the resort more efficient.
    No Staff= No wages.
    Well as manager he may or is under strict instruction to streamline the resort.I suppose it is a business at the end of the day.It only can hurt when it impacts on repeat and future trade.After last year's post's I think they may have succeeded on damaging both repeat and future trade,which effects the lodge bookings as well..This year hopefully they can prove us all wrong.
    Sago

26. Angus_McCrory

I'll miss Tommy G and the +1 will miss Carolyn. I'll also miss the standard race if it is not run, but CP still has the best access to the backcountry and my lodge is far more comfortable than a tent.

27. Nidecker

Hmmm and there in lies the problem. It's NEVER gonna be a destination of choice for a large number of day trippers, so why wouldn't they look after the repeat business???

#27 Nidecker, Apr 27, 2010
  28. Nidecker

Charlotte Pass Ski Resort today announced the appointment of Peter McDonald as Snow Sports School Director for the resort.

Peter will head the Charlotte Pass Snow Sports School this winter.

He has more than 20 years experience in the ski industry including teaching in Switzerland, Austria, Japan and Australia. He holds full Australian Certification and has the highest level of qualification with the Australian Professional Snowsport Instructors Association.

Peter said “I am very excited to be heading up the Charlotte Pass Snow Sports School and am looking forward to the task ahead. I can’t wait for season 2010â€.

Kevin Blyton, Chairman of Charlotte Pass Ski Resort said “we are extremely pleased to have Peter join the team at Charlotte Pass Ski Resort. His years of knowledge and experience will bring new energy to the position. Our Snow Sports School is in good handsâ€.

He went on to say that “Charlotte Pass Ski Resort is excited about this and the many other new exciting initiatives that the resort is offering this winterâ€.

Charlotte Pass Ski Resort is situated in the heart of the Snowy Mountains with sweeping views of Mt Kosciuszko and the main range. It is completely snowbound in winter with access only by over-snow transport.

No cars, no crowds and no long queues for lifts, Charlotte Pass Ski Resort is an on snow experience like no other.

29. Schneeteufel

Schneeteufel First Runs

Interesting appointment.. Isn't he the husband of the accountant for Charlottes?

He would have to be exceptional to come anywhere near the high level of customer service that Mick provided.... as all the guests he has looked after over the years, would agree

30. Nidecker

"He has more than 20 years experience in the ski industry including teaching in Switzerland, Austria, Japan and Australia. He holds full Australian Certification and has the highest level of qualification with the Australian Professional Snowsport Instructors Association."

It doesn't exactly say he has taught skiing for 20 years now does it. Nor does it suggest he has run a ski school before, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Personally I was not a fan of how the kids weekly classes were run. I know of more than one child who was lost / left behind by an instructor last year. Can't for the life of me understand how they get away with the pupal teacher ratio, particularly with younger groups, actually would have thought DOCS would be curios about these?

Why they don't pop the kids into student bibs is beyond me. Even if they were snowFM bibs :)

31. BronnyBean

Well that's me completely decided against CP for the kids lessons this year... not cos of the new guy, cause of the losingchildren thing.

32. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

and you think that has never happened at any other resort?

33. Nidecker

It's probably the one resort in Aus where they could get away with a little one dropping off the back, but still, some of the teachers were looking after groups of 15 odd? Not sure what guidelines are for ski school.

Fingers crossed the new guy brings some new ideas.

#33 Nidecker, May 7, 2010
  34. Snowgums

Snowgums First Runs

I have been going to Charlotte Pass for 10 years and have been reading these comments.

Mick has done a fantastic job over many years as ski school director. Anyone who knew Mick would know his passion and commitment to the job. Last year would have been a very very difficult time to work there, with the mountain manager and all the negativity of last season. No doubt that is why he resigned.

Ski school numbers in classes are determined by budgets set by the mountain management and if budgets are cut - then numbers per class increase.

Sometimes it is easy to criticise when you don't know the full story...................

35. pussycat

pussycat First Runs

charlotte pass is the one resort where a child goes missing you will be able to spot them instantly.
    i have worked in resorts all over the world, if a child goes missing it is a big deal as the mountains are so big. they usually have a gps on the child though so they can find where the child is.
    One instance, a child went missing from a class in canada and the instructor didn't know the child was missing for over an hr. the child ended up with a broken wrist.

if you can say you arn't going to go to a resort because of lost children thats ridiculas.

36. BronnyBean

I'm saying that considering the hit-and-miss management of the ski school at CP i'd be pretty reluctant to leave my 4 year old with them for the first time. Especially if they aren't even wearing ski school bibs or something.

GPS is a great idea, but somehow I don't think CP is going to go to that kind of expense!

37. BronnyBean

It's all academic with me anyway cause we're only doing day trips to CP and they don't do one-off lessons, apparently you need to do a whole week or a whole weekend. Logistically it's easier for us to take it a day at a time.

38. Schneeteufel

Schneeteufel First Runs

RascalKing, It wasn't the Ski School Management that was hit-and-Miss, it was the Mountain Management that was and is.. When the Mountain Management cut the Ski School budget, then the ski school had no option but to increase lesson numbers. Plus the fact the MOUNTAIN MANAGEMENT... Did not want the experienced Ski School Staff, like Tom, Luke, Carolyn, Dan, Victoria, Michelle.. etc back because they had been there for too long, and therefore cost more. This was NOT a decision made by the Ski School manager. So naturally the ski school had less experienced staff last year...

Why don't you put your child in a ski school lesson at Perisher with 30 other children with a non-qualified instructor (as most are in the bigger resorts) and watch the carnage.

39. skichic

skichic A Local

If that's the case, he's been running Mountain Munchies in Jindy for the last few years..just been sold I believe.

#39 skichic, May 9, 2010
  40. Angus_McCrory

Mountain management is so short sighted. Last year I wanted a particular weekly ticket/lesson package, but they wouldn't sell it to me as my lodge has a Sunday changover (package geared to the Chalet that has a Saturday changeover). So I only ended up buying 3 day passes and the rest of the time I either went AT skiing and jumped Guthries a couple of times. The only instuctors I would have lessons from there were Luke (race coaching) or TommyG for AT. My plus + loved working with Carolyn. So without good instructors who I liked to work with it looks like they will get even less money from me now (Might have to go back to Thredbo for a few days instruction).

41. Nidecker

Firstly, before anyone gets upset, I have always found ALL the instructors we come in contact with a CP professional courteous & generally excellent at their jobs, and while I'm at it, so were / are the lifties. How they were / are managed / directed in their jobs perhaps leaves a little to be desired.

And this was the response / justification I got from the ski school director last year, when I rather innocently asked what were the maximum class sizes for ski school. (I was expecting to hear 15 or 20) He went on to say that there was no set max class size. The logical extension of which is, why not 50 or even 100 pupils per instructor.

Speaking as someone who has tertiary qualifications in a related area, I found it appalling. I didn't take him up on it, (it wasn't the time or the place) and as you say, his hands were probably tied by mountain management, but just because some other resort does it, doesn't make it good policy.

If you were running a sailing school or a swim school, the guidelines are such that you are required to have between a 5 and 7 to 1 ratio of pupils to instructors. The marine environment may be the other end of the spectrum with regard to immediate danger, but it's probably a useful guideline. I sure TomG would argue that the mountain environment poses as much danger as the marine environment, to those who play in it.

FWIW one of the reasons we came to CP in the first place was because we watched our 4 year old (at the time) left alone for 12 minutes (doesn't seem very long does it) fallen in the snow, in a class at Perisher, while 3 or 4 instructors chatted amongst themselves. It was windy and very cold with driving snow, but we didn't want to interfere, we didn't feel it was our place. edit: we just didn't go back :-(

I have a feeling the class sizes will probably remain as such until someone is actually lost or dies, and a coroner makes a recommendation.

#41 Nidecker, May 10, 2010
  42. wiggle

wiggle Hard Yards

There have been a lot of pertinent points raised re the ski school. As pointed out, last year Mick G had no choice in the size of classes, because he was limited in the number of staff he was allowed to hire.

This year will be interesting. In the past, there has always been a mix of new, young instructors & a few older, more experienced hands. It sounds like there won't be too many experienced instructors this year. Time will tell.

What a pity Mick Davis turned down the role of ski school director. With all that's gone on, I don't think he wanted to risk it.

43. snowy2010

snowy2010 First Runs

How did this last season turn out ?
    Did Jamie change his attitude or is he still running the place to the ground....?

44. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Jamie is gone.
    about a year to late.
    Other post's give you a fairly good account of events

45. Dusty B

Dusty B One of Us

Well, we have pulled the pin on the pass this year. So a week in Hotham instead.

Deciding factor......oversnow.

It is just too much pain with the hassles of the oversnow not working so we opted for an easy option of being able to drive the car to the front door of the lodge.

I am absolutely looking forward to hearing stories as to how well CP is run and how happy staff and guests are, to make me regret our decision to pass on this year.

46. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

Wrong decision. Definately book the Pass. All new crew from top down this year. They are putting every effort in, after all the years of damage.

47. BronnyBean

I hope so, HG. We can't get there this year but might have a go next year if they can improve things this season.

48. Nidecker

As I said in another thread, we are back for on last go, call us suckers?? We also have a week at Perisher booked, and some thredbo time. If the oversnow was not an issue, this would all be at CP, but?

49. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I would love to do CP this year, but the OS is the deciding factor as well.
    Any time off is hard for us and the unreliability of the OS means I add 2 days just for travelling with connecting flights.
    Buller I just fly to Tullamarine 2 hrs and 3-4 hours later +/- you're unpacking .

50. Ian

Ian Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

Booked again of course, booking was more efficient this year, promptly acknowleged by email and everything was correct.

I hope one of the three snowcams gets pointed at Guthries this year...

Booked the last week in July this time, 2nd last is a little cheaper, but too marginal for good snow IMHO. My youngest wasn't happy about waiting an extra week. Might even do 1st week in August next year.

Shame we can't ride in on a 4-in-hand reindeer-drawn open sleigh, with a new Government, you never know...