1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Late August Camping at Island Bend and XC skiing at KNP.

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi.
    Usually I do a KNP snow trip after things have slowed down in late September here in VIC. esp. XC skiing at Falls Creek, or after the KNP ski season concludes in October just to access C.Pass by car and get closer to the Main Range in Spring snow .
    However ...
    A window of opportunity has opened up for me in the last week of August so that I have 5 days off in a row. I might go up to Island Bend from Melb. , camp there and XC ski at Perisher ,C.Pass and Horse Camp Hut that week. I get a concession rate for my car entry with the NPWS which makes it cheaper to visit than Falls Creek.
    My questions to the panel are :
    1. Would Horse camp hut have skiable snow and make a good long day tour from Guthega Power Station?.
    2. How far up from the GPS car park would I have to walk to get to ski ?. I know the aqueduct above Horse Camp Hut would be nice to ski on if the conditions are permitting such XC skiing activities.
    The ski back down the Munyang River Valley towards the car park would be fun and quick if the snow cover is sufficient.
    3. One assumes that the network of groomed and BC XC ski trails at Perisher would be at their best in the last week of August and would be worth the journey. Am I right?
    4. Being fit enough on XC BC PB skis ( i.e doing 17 kms a day is normal for me) one could ski from the gate at Perisher to C.Pass and back in a day via the pole line on the Porcupine trail ? . I imagine people have done this before.
    5.With the right weather window the snow cat from Perisher to C.Pass would be worth it in terms of $$ just to ski up to Seaman's hut and back in a day?.

Any comments?

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019