1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Late September skiing

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Annabuzzy, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

This is more a question for next year, not this. Obviously I guess for an Oz skier.

But if I was planning a late September 1 week visit with a wife and then to be 11 year old daughter, all keen skiers, would I choose Ruepahu (sp?) or Mt Hutt?

Untele-whippet likes this.
  2. danw

danw Hard Yards

Generally Ruepehu has a huge base by then and would be pretty reliable. Hutt is generally ok in spring but i have had a few trips there that have been geting a bit thin. It does have easier access from a major airport though. Both have the classic NZ issue of no where to hide if the weather turns bad!

essjaywhy and Annabuzzy like this.
  3. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Mt Ruapehu is an amazing mountain, when the sun comes out, but very prone to bad weather and closures. Be prepared for multiple days in a week when you won't be able to ski.

I haven't been to Mt Hutt in a long time although I believe it has a nickname of Mt Shutt.

crackson and Chookfooter like this.
  4. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Rua is near to wellington. (Ish)
    Great city dat

5. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Ruapehu is more reliable snow wise but shouldn't be an issue in Sept for Hutt.

If you're looking for more of a whole experience re ski town etc Methven is better situated and only 35 minute drive to the ski area, whereas if you were to stay at Taupo which is a prettier town than Methven you're 1hr10 minutes from the national park plus the extra drive up the hill. You can stay closer depending on what side of Ruapehu you want to skis Whakapapa or Turoa. Either Turangi or Ohakune but neither are loaded with dining options or alternative entertainment options on down days. In saying that though the Taupo region is awesome and with a car you an reach some great spots, ie Hooker Falls etc.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  6. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Those are 2 big mountains. But there are other options, depending on how the season goes. Have skied Dobson, Roundhill, Cardrona, Coronet in late September. But Rua does look worth a visit.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  7. GlenH

We love Roundhill but understand it usually closes quite early even in a good season - i.e. early - mid September.

Cardrona seems to often stay open well into October these days.

If you visit Mt Ruapehu we recommend Powderhorn Ski Lodge at Ohakune. It's a nice town, more life than National Park, and you can drive to either side of Ruapheu (Whakapapa or Turoa) to suit the weather.

Agree you could run out of closed-day options fairly quickly.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  8. GlenH

Just FYI Mt Ruapehu has announced that Whakapapa will remain open until Nov 1 and Turoa will remain open until Nov 16, Friday - Monday ONLY.

Terrain is limited, but hey, skiing is skiing!

Annabuzzy likes this.