Late September skiing

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
This is more a question for next year, not this. Obviously I guess for an Oz skier.

But if I was planning a late September 1 week visit with a wife and then to be 11 year old daughter, all keen skiers, would I choose Ruepahu (sp?) or Mt Hutt?

Reactions: Untele-whippet

danw

Hard Yards
Mar 20, 2018
Brisbane
This is more a question for next year, not this. Obviously I guess for an Oz skier.

But if I was planning a late September 1 week visit with a wife and then to be 11 year old daughter, all keen skiers, would I choose Ruepahu (sp?) or Mt Hutt?

Generally Ruepehu has a huge base by then and would be pretty reliable. Hutt is generally ok in spring but i have had a few trips there that have been geting a bit thin. It does have easier access from a major airport though. Both have the classic NZ issue of no where to hide if the weather turns bad!

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007

Mt Ruapehu is an amazing mountain, when the sun comes out, but very prone to bad weather and closures. Be prepared for multiple days in a week when you won't be able to ski.

I haven't been to Mt Hutt in a long time although I believe it has a nickname of Mt Shutt.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Ruapehu is more reliable snow wise but shouldn't be an issue in Sept for Hutt.

If you're looking for more of a whole experience re ski town etc Methven is better situated and only 35 minute drive to the ski area, whereas if you were to stay at Taupo which is a prettier town than Methven you're 1hr10 minutes from the national park plus the extra drive up the hill. You can stay closer depending on what side of Ruapehu you want to skis Whakapapa or Turoa. Either Turangi or Ohakune but neither are loaded with dining options or alternative entertainment options on down days. In saying that though the Taupo region is awesome and with a car you an reach some great spots, ie Hooker Falls etc.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Those are 2 big mountains. But there are other options, depending on how the season goes. Have skied Dobson, Roundhill, Cardrona, Coronet in late September. But Rua does look worth a visit.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Those are 2 big mountains. But there are other options, depending on how the season goes. Have skied Dobson, Roundhill, Cardrona, Coronet in late September. But Rua does look worth a visit.
We love Roundhill but understand it usually closes quite early even in a good season - i.e. early - mid September.

Cardrona seems to often stay open well into October these days.

If you visit Mt Ruapehu we recommend Powderhorn Ski Lodge at Ohakune. It's a nice town, more life than National Park, and you can drive to either side of Ruapheu (Whakapapa or Turoa) to suit the weather.

Agree you could run out of closed-day options fairly quickly.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Just FYI Mt Ruapehu has announced that Whakapapa will remain open until Nov 1 and Turoa will remain open until Nov 16, Friday - Monday ONLY.

Terrain is limited, but hey, skiing is skiing!

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Just a bit of a thread reactivation. Taking the fam for a three week trip to Wanaka/Cardrona late Sept-early Oct 2022. Will be our first ski trip to the South Island. 2019 saw us venture to Mt Ruapehu for three weeks. Whilst I loved Ruapehu on the good days for the most excellent terrain, the proliferation of resort closed days (like 35+% of days when we were there) meant I'd like to try the Southern Alps with hopefully more settled weather. Chose Cardrona coz had pretty good early bird season passes (ie. $800/adult and $200 for kids) and refund if covid means you cant go, and also was a largish field. The one day duration trip from home bed to bed is also appealing. We'll be there until 10 Oct, scheduled end of season for Cardrona is 16 Oct 2022 though I've noticed Cardrona often seems to go for a season extension. NZ school hols should only be the last week of our trip too. Just as a measure of rough expenditure, budget is looking something like $1000/person/week (flights, lifts, accom and car hire) all up. Fingers crossed eh for a solid season in NZ 2022.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass