1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Late start day trip to Mt Kosciuszko.

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by seak, Jul 29, 2018.

1. seak

seak One of Us

How doable is it to do Jindabyne pr next Saturday, THEN drive up to Thredbo, buy Kosi Express tickets, ski out to Mt Kosi to take in view, ski back and get off slopes before groomers start up? Guess we will get off lift at 1100am to start skiing.
    My mate is a near-beginner, but is fit. He will be on NNNBC gear - that's what I will tell him to hire anyway.
    http://www.parkrun.com.au/jindabyne/course/

2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

If you can ski NNBC doable.

Beginner, get the 1st chair.

seak likes this.
  3. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Buy ticket at the base of Kosi Express in Village Terminal not Friday Flat.
    Office opens at 8.00.
    Get a coffee and brekkie at Avalanche cafe in Valley Terminal and go tootling.
    Maybe snow shoes will bring less tears and more smiles?! (I cannot believe I said that)

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I've been to Kosi and back before lunch without trying.

Majikthise and seak like this.
  5. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

One problem: Weather.
    Have you forgotten it's August? You'll need a bigger window than a coupla hours on Saturday arvo.
    Do you like wind and worsening conditions...? Won't be much view from Mount K next Saturday at the going rate.

Mister Tee on XC Skis and seak like this.
  6. seak

seak One of Us

Yep - same here. Bit different with an octopus. And we are both kinda parkrun tragics, so we gotta do that.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Along the route from the top chairlift at the Eagles Nest out to Mt. Kosci there are a couple of bits of terrain that could be challenging to ski for a near beginner. I was that near beginner in early -mid October 2017.While there was broken cover and very soft snow/melting spring corn like cover in places , I did not have the skills to ski that terrain efficiently and with confidence and speed.
    I have improved a lot but I am merely now a blue run BC XC skier who still has the odd crash ;-P. The weather in the KNP in October is often good and the days are long. August Weather and skiing ability are factors to keep in mind. However I am only a learner in my second season so don't listen to me grasshopper.

8. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Unless you have slowed up considerably i can't see why you wouldn't be leaving eagles nest at 1030.
    You will want to be taking a beginner back down the lift...a newbie on nnnbc going down the supertrail ain"t ever going to be pretty.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  9. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Plus the ice up factor late arvo. Non metal XC skis won't like ice whether up top or trying the super trail.
    Get back before the 3 or 4 pm ice up.

Best to check at Valley terminal as to what vis is available up top before you buy tickets. Low viz may mean it's a bit pointless - apart from obvious safety issues?

10. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

But would be entertaining to watch. ROFL

Sorry, a bit cruel, I really would not wish the superdoopermogulledtobuggery trail on any NNNBC rider at the end of a long day.

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I have limited experience but I do know skiing challenging terrain/ icy terrain in poor weather when fatigued after skiing all day is not going to go well at all.

skifree likes this.
  12. LastMile

LastMile Hard Yards

I've done it once on NNNBC on 3/4 edge 210cm Karhus after a Eagles/Kozi/Seamans loop. While it was 15 years ago, I was by no means a beginner and would not recommend it to anyone on a similar setup.

Almost spoiled a glorious day tour. People on the lifts must have been having a fair chuckle. If I recall correctly, on one particularly thin and narrow section I just de-skied and walked for a couple of hundred metres.

That said, I did have a fun day once around the same time doing lifted downhill runs up at Merits on the same setup. Good snow cover made a bit of difference. Also caught the lift back down at the end of the day.

skifree likes this.