1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Latest Japan ski & tourism news

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Ramenman, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Remote lodge
    I'd say the location of the lodge is rather good if you are targeting foreign advanced skiers. Basically, there aren't ski-in ski-out lodges in the region except the ones that the ski resorts operating companies own. Grandeco is owned by Tokyu Railway group and Tokyu Hotel is the only ski-in ski-out hotel for Grandeco. Alts - Nekoma is the same. They are owned by Hoshino Resorts and Bandai-san Onsen Hotel that Hoshino Resorts own is the only ski-in ski-out hotel there. Minowa is the same.

Japanese people ski mainly weekend, arriving at a ski resort in Saturday morning, skiing on Saturday & Sunday, then leaving at Sunday evening. So, they only ski at one ski resort per weekend. But foreign tourists tend to stay longer and if they want to ski in Nekoma, Alts, Grandeco, Inawashiro, Minowa, etc, not only one ski resort in the region, the location of the lodge is ideal in that it's located between Mt.Bandai and Mt.Minowa.

Opening after the snow season
    I think it's good too. I mean, starting a new business from a peak season is risky. You need some "trial / learning" period before the peak season. You can learn a lot of things as the lodge owner before the peak season, when a lot of people are supposed to come.

Occupancy rates
    It's up to you(the owner);).

I feel foreign skiers to Tohoku have been increasing rapidly recently. If you want to attract advanced skiers from Western countries, you should work as a sidecounty - backcountry guide too. There are good short hike sidecountry / backcountry terrains here, but English speaking guides are not easily available here, so if you can show them the terrains, it can be a reason for advanced skiers from abroad to choose your lodge. Plus, you should target Chinese speaking tourists too. As of 2019, more than half of foreign tourists to Japan are Chinese speaking people. I don't think you need to speak Chinese. Chinese speaking people who come to Japan are well educated(compared to average Chinese speaking people), and they speak / understand English more or less. You just need to offer them what they like. A lot of them come to the region for experiencing snow, rather than skiing. For example, there are good snowshoe hiking courses in Urabandai highland and you drive them to the courses(a lot of Chinese speaking foreigners don't drive by themselves here).
    [​IMG]

And, I think you should not exclude Japanese people(at least, your website should have Japanese language too, not only English). I'll translate English into Japanese for free if you buy a ski lodge;)

2. Chux-sw

Chux-sw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ramenman, thanks for another thoughtful and considered post.

Absolutely agree the location of this lodge between Mt.Bandai and Mt.Minowa is great for your more adventurous foreign tourist, however when I described it as remote I was meaning three things that I admittedly didn't detail.
    1. Remote from the main resorts that Western tourist visit. This is not necessarily a bad thing however it does mean you are marketing to tiny % of inbound tourists and your marketing would be more difficult as you couldn't rely on potential customers discovering you based purely on searching a known resort. eg searching a booking engine for Myoko or Hakuba and your lodge appearing in the results.
    2. Guests would really need a car, many skiers don't want the perceived hassle of renting cars and driving in a foreign country. Once again further narrowing your potential market. You could offer station transfers and rides to resorts but this is more time (labour) and additional costs, that said this could be a compelling offer.
    3. Remote as not in a village. Many visitors want to be able to walk from a lodge and go to restaurants and shops easily. Evening meals could be an issue for guests and providing dinner adds a whole different skill set.

Regarding green season opening, I agree opening early allow the owners / operators to get up and going to learn the ropes and to figure out how they are going to operate before Winter when they need to be organised. I do wonder how they would market to an international clientele for summer. Good luck to them, a pure ski lodge is a difficult business when your peak season is lucky to be 60 days with a shoulder of another 30 to 60 days.

Also when I referred to occupancy rates I was meaning % of rooms sold, not the rate charged per night. I'd assume lodges in main resorts would have higher occupancy levels than lodges such as this. (exception would be a lodge that has created it's own market)

Finally, very interesting thoughts regarding the Chinese tourists. I think many Western owners wouldn't even contemplate this market segment, as they would be marketing a people similar to themselves. Also the assumption would be that the majority of Chinese tourist would be on packages managed by Chinese travel companies that control nearly every aspect of the trip. We have family involved with hospitality on the West Coast of Ireland (Wild Atlantic Way) and they have noticed an increase in Chinese Tourists over the past few years but commented that they stay in larger hotels that provide breakfast and dinner (and some times packed lunches), and that nearly every element of their tours is organised and lead by a Chinese speaking guide and very little money is spent with local businesses.
    That said they are such a huge market you would only need to a tiny % of the more adventurous / independent travellers to make a difference to your bottom line.

Brendan Shanahan likes this.
  3. Brendan Shanahan

Brendan Shanahan Hard Yards

Haha, I am 100% taking you up on this!

4. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

This is too funny. I was daydreaming, as I was driving down the mountain from Nekoma a couple of hours ago. I thought a lodge near the Urubandai area would be great to own BUT I would need to employ an interpreter. Now I don't need to employ one!!

Ramenman, elSpike, LMB and 2 others like this.
  5. Chux-sw

Same here, screenshot filed for later use! ;)

Ramenman, LMB, crackson and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tonester

BTW, I was at Minowa yesterday. It was only my second time there ever. It's not too bad, but the snow was very scrappy. I noticed that the area above the lift line would be awesome to ski. It's a shame that resort managers are missing great opportunities to attract more foreigners by opening up more slack country.
    Also, I'm kind of disappointed in Nekoma. This is my third season I've paid a visit there. This year the snow was so-so (better than Minowa, at least). But there is a whole top third of the mountain that was closed off from the start of the 2018-19 season. I managed to ski it the previous season. Again, I understand the harsh economic realities, but in a way I think Hoshino are doing themselves a disservice by closing off access to the top. This year it was clearly roped off.
    Last year I attempted to hike up to the top from the top of the right-most lift. I was quickly stopped when spotted by a lifty. If only they opened it up a bit. It would be a more enticing proposition for slack country skiers.
    Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Brendan Shanahan likes this.
  7. Brendan Shanahan

There are plenty of affordable translation services available, do not let this stop you! I usually use friends if I need a phone call made or an urgent request, but recently I used fiverr.com to translate a fax I needed to send.

8. Tonester

Fax?? Who uses fax in 2020?

skifree and Chux-sw like this.
  9. Brendan Shanahan

Japan! Welcome to the future of the 1980's

10. Brendan Shanahan

The missed opportunity! Such a bugbear with how many resorts could gain so much more traffic with such small changes. Togari Onsen and Kurohime are two obvious examples in this area with non-operational top lifts. I am surprised that the success of Niseko, Hakuba, Myoko, Madarao etc has not been studied and adopted by struggling resorts. But then again, many things in Japan surprise me, like the fax machine LOL

Chux-sw, Tonester and LMB like this.
  11. Ramenman

@Chux-sw
    The market size of inbound tourism of the region(or any other ski resort regions in Tohoku) is a lot smaller compared to Hakuba, Myoko, Nozawa Onsen, etc. But it doesn't mean making ski lodge business profitable in Tohoku is more difficult because the lodges for sale in Hakuba, Myoko, Nozawa Onsen, etc are more expensive than the lodges here in Tohoku generally and there are already many lodges in Hakuba, Myoko, Nozawa Onsen, etc which are targeting English speaking skiers / snowboarders from abroad. It's the matter of the law of supply and demand. Supply in Tohoku is smaller than Demand at the moment in my opinion.

Yes, you need to drive for your guests if you want more guests. I often recommend they own a used Toyota Hiace, especially 10 seater. In Japan, you can drive a 10 seater car with a normal driving license(11 seater or more, you need a special license) and there are a lot of reasonable used Hiace for sale.
    [​IMG]

My family own a lodge in Zao Onsen and there are many shops and restaurants in Zao Onsen(I mean, walking distance), so it's never be an issue there but it can be a difficult issue if you own a lodge around Mt.Bandai - Mt.Minowa. I jointly own a cheap lodge in Urabandai Highland(about 820m asl) with my ski mates from university and there are only a few restaurants nearby. But we've found a solution. We use major hotels's facilities nearby. In Japan, a lot of hotels let you use their public Onsen, restaurants, etc around lunch time between 10am - 4pm. In most hotels, the facilities are only for the people staying at the hotels in morning and at night but some hotels let you use the facilities at night as well. For example, Urabandai Lake Resort Hotel let you use the public Onsen and these facilities (including the bar in the video below) at night too even if you don't stay at the hotel (I don't confirm this season if they keep the facilities available for the people who are not staying at the hotel but at least we could use the facilities till last season). There is a luxury hotel near the hotel, and the hotel also let us take their public Onsen(1500 Yen). Our lodge has bath rooms too, but I usually take "luxury / better" Onsen at those hotels. So, if you own a lodge here, you can just drive your guests to those hotels for a better night life.

That's why I told you you should target Chinese tourists too(and the tourists from the other Asian countries). You know, more than 85% tourists from abroad to Japan are Asian people. And they come to Japan(including Aizu region) in non ski season more than ski season. Not many Japanese lodge owners in Tohoku can speak English while a lot of Asian tourists to Japan can speak English more or less, so your English skill is advantageous when it comes to targeting Asian tourists in green season as well.

I'll answer to these later. I mean, I'm multi-tasking now(I have something else to do now = dinner time!)

fennekeg, skifree and Chux-sw like this.
  12. Ramenman

@Chux-sw
    As I wrote above, I think it's matter of the law of supply and demand. Supply of lodges for English speaking advanced skiers / snowboarders is smaller than demand in Tohoku in my opinion.

Whenever I speak about Chinese speaking tourists to Japan, I often show these numbers.
    [​IMG]

The image above says 8.38 million Chinese tourists visit Japan, 4.75 million Taiwanese tourists visited Japan and 2.20 million tourists from Hong Kong visited Japan in 2018. The number increased in 2019. The population of Taiwan is about 20 millions and about 5 millions of them visited Japan = it means, nearly 25% of Taiwanese visited Japan. The population of Hong Kong is about 7 millions and about 2.3 millions of them visited Japan = it means, more than 30% of people in Hong Kong visited Japan. How about Chinese?. The number has been growing rapidly in recent years. The number was 8.38 millions in 2018 and it grew up to 9.60 millions in 2019. The population of China is about 1.4 billion. So, only 0.7% of Chinese visited Japan last year(You know, Taiwan = 25%, Hong Kong = 30% and China is 0.7%). If 2% Chinese people come to Japan, it's nearly 30 millions and it can happen in 2030 if considering 25% of Taiwan and 30% of Hong Kong.

We actually see quite many Asian tourists in Tohoku in recent years.

#2312 Ramenman, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Brendan Shanahan, skifree and Chux-sw like this.
  13. Ramenman

Haha, at least, I'll help you make the Japanese website of your ski lodge:p.

Tanuki and Tonester like this.
  14. Tonester

Not sure where best to post this so...
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular onsen to visit in Higashiyama Onsen village, just outside Aizuwakamatsu?

Ramenman likes this.
  15. Ramenman

What time are you visiting?. I mean, if you are not staying there, what time you can take the public onsen is up to the Ryokan / Hotel.

16. Tonester

Mid to late aftwrnoon

17. Ramenman

How about this?
    https://hpdsp.jp/shousuke/en/hot_spring

I like their Hinoki bath(I like the scent of the Hinoki tree). Their onsen is 1200 Yen for day trippers. If their onsen is busy(crowded), they won't let day trippers take their Onsen. Even if they don't let you take their bath, you can take another onsen of another Ryokan / hotel in the village. More than half of the Ryokans / hotels in the village let day trippers take their onsens.

Hinoki is a Japanese wood and it's popular expensive wood for bathtubs(I like the scent of Hinoki).
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hin...UxxosBHdKcCfEQ_AUoAXoECA0QAw&biw=1366&bih=657

nanami_JS, Hyst and Tonester like this.
  18. Tonester

Thanks. I will check them out.
    I’m super tired today and think I need a rest day I drove up to Alts and the crowds are a real disincentive to ski. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit quieter, even though it’s a public holiday on Tuesday. I’m hoping kids will be back at school tomorrow and their parents do something else. Lol

Ramenman likes this.
  19. essjaywhy

essjaywhy One of Us

Reggae & Dancehall, Snow city shows, Nihonjin style by Mighty Crown ( check their facebook )
    Hokkaido Get Ready for the Dancehall Phenomenon!

Feb.14 Asahikawa Club Brooklyn
    Feb.15 Sapporo Club Riviera & Club Addict
    Feb.22 Yuzawa Badbest
    Feb.29 Nagano Takaifuji

skifree and Ramenman like this.
  20. Ramenman

It seems an Australian died at Shiga Kogen yesterday. Reportedly, he was found unconscious on a ski slope and sent to a hospital yesterday (and confirmed dead). Heart attack or something?. 61 years, too young to die:(. I wonder if I should avoid posting this kind of sad news here.

crackson likes this.
  21. Tonester

Wow, @Ramenman , just wow!
    I just came back from my onsen vist to this place. What a great recommendation.
    I loved the location and the experience. The hotel entrance is at road level, on the 4th floor. You take the elevator down to the first. The onsen is located here, just above the river rapids. It's certainly a lot better than the local Aizuwakamatsu council public onsen I've been going to the last couple of days.
    And @Ramenman , you forgot to mention the most important thing:
    Free self serve beer and soft-serve icecream!! C'mon....that's just crazy good. Thanks for the recommendation. Next time, I might just have to stay here as well.

22. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I think we would rather know than not.

It's sad, yes.

Paradox and skifree like this.
  23. Ramenman

I'm very happy Tonseter-san likes / enjoyed one of our favorite places there:thumbs:. Usually, after dinner, those facilities are exclusive to the guests who are staying at the hotels. But between 10am and dinner time, a lot of hotels let day trippers use their facilities at a low price, including onsens. Some even let day trippers use their facilities at night too. Staying at a cheap accommodation while using great service and facilities such as onsens, restaurants, bars, playrooms, etc of luxury hotels / Ryokans is how you can make your trip better and economical:cool:.

LMB, crackson and fennekeg like this.
  24. Tonester

Ok. Another onsen question. Any good onsens bear Nagano station. I won’t have a car tonight but I think a soak would be in order.

25. Chux-sw

This was on ABC radio news this morning.
    In the same report they also mention the death of Japanese skier in what sounded like an avi.

26. Ramenman

It was not an avalanche, but something like the image below happened(It's what I heard). It happened on an ungroomed run of a ski resort. It snowed quite a lot (70cm or so) overnight and unfortunately, his head got stuck in deep snow like the image below. He was snowboarding alone. Unfortunately, nobody noticed he was suffocating to death. A very similar case happened at Lotte Arai(Niigata Pref) last season as well after a quite big snowfall overnight.
    [​IMG]

#2326 Ramenman, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    essjaywhy, Tanuki and skifree like this.
  27. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

:(

I can relate this situation.

Ramenman likes this.
  28. Chux-sw

@Ramenman
    Sorry, I can't like posts such as those (if you know what I mean), but really appreciate the information.

as @skifree says, this very relatable. I can clearly remember the feeling of being trapped upside down in powder in amongst trees at Winter Park, Colorado 25+ years ago. Completely alone and very lucky to dig my way out!

Tonester, Ramenman and skifree like this.
  29. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Sad news :( ALWAYS wear a face mask over your mouth on pow days for just that reason, saves you breathing in the snow in those initial moments. Even then can be scary not knowing which way is up. Couple years ago a lady died in Cortina from this and I recall another at Happo but cant remember which year.

Ramenman likes this.
  30. Ramenman

I don't know much about Nagano, and you don't have a car today, right?. Then, it must be walking distance from Nagano Station. Hmm, the only hotel I can come up with is Dormy Inn. It's a business hotel chain and there are numerous Dormy inns all over Japan. I'm not for sure if the Dormy Inn in front of Nagano station let day trippers take their public bath, but some Dormy Inns I know let day trippers take their public bath. I think there are many "Nagano specialists" on this forum, so Tonester-san should ask them:p

Tonester likes this.
  31. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

There's Alps Onsen within walking distance but closed on Mondays. :(
    Get on a train perhaps to Togura? Otherwise a taxi will get you to Susobanakyo.

Tanuki, Ramenman and Tonester like this.
  32. Brendan Shanahan

I observed the rescue once the person had been uncovered, there were plenty of hands-on to help so we moved on quickly but it appeared a rather large pit had been cleared near a tree, so possibly a tree well but this is pure speculation. This happened inbounds at Tangram on a very deep and busy (by Madarao / Tangram standards) day. Very sobering to witness this, and a huge credit to the Tangram ski patrol for the actions I witnessed were impressive. I do not wish to elaborate.

The news article I read said he was not riding alone, but someone riding with him was also trapped in deep snow so unable to provide assistance. I cannot imagine what this person is going through.

Note: Although I do not believe this burial was caused by any form of an avalanche, there is cause for concern in the snowpack at the moment. I will post in the Madarao season thread with some detail shortly.

33. Tonester

I’m staying at the metropolitan hotel at Nagano station for the evening. I wonder if they have baths there

34. Ramenman

The Onsen Ryokan is for green season for us (We stay at the Ryokan for mountain stream fishing nearby during green season), so I was not sure if they have free beer and free ice creams in winter as well:p. Somehow, drinking milk after onsen is one of Japanese onsen cultures and you often see this kind of milk vending machines at the dressing rooms (like the video below). Free milk can be seen at some onsens (not common, though) but free ice cream and free beer?. It is veeeeeeeeeeery rare:D.

By the way, ski resort regions have a lot of mountain streams good for fishing. This video was filmed in Aizu region(near the Ryokan). Bus fishing is also popular but I'm not interested in. We only target delicious fish such as rainbow trout, ayu, yamame and iwana(we cook the fish by the river and eat!).

If you are interested in fishing and golf, not only skiing, you'll enjoy the ski lodge life even in green season. There are so many golf resorts in ski resort regions and they are veeeery cheap because they are also over-supply. Just like many ski resorts were made during the bubble economy era, a lot of golf resorts were also made and they are over-supply = very cheap. Ski resort mountains are very beautiful in autumn color season. Not only that, farmlands in ski resort regions are also very cheap. I love skiing, fishing, farming and Autumn colors:D
    [​IMG]

Mountains are beautiful in all seasons:)

Hike and Fish

Hike and Bike

35. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Saski and Ramenman like this.
  36. Ramenman

Ah, yes, what you wrote is correct. I mean, I also read the article a moment ago. By the way, you can also read Japanese?.

37. Chux-sw

Wow, cable-less gondolas.

Actually, maybe that is something we need to get DJI or Uber to invent rather than replacing the 100's of 30+ year old lifts from the ski boom period. :)

fennekeg, Ramenman and Hyst like this.
  38. Brendan Shanahan

Only Hiragana, and very slowly! I just use google translate a lot ;)

Ramenman likes this.
  39. Ramenman

40. jjs

jjs One of Us

Huh? They must have changed their tone then this year as I hiked that area 3 times in the one day, on a perfectly clear bluebird pow day. Was immediately in front of lifties, ski patrol, no one battered an eyelid. Some of the best turns of the trip.

Personally I think it's actually better this way; the area isn't that large really and would get tracked out pretty quickly if the old lift was running. This way it stays untouched whilst the rest of the mountain gets tracked out, then it's there after for those willing to earn their turns.

Ramenman likes this.
  41. Ramenman

It seems a lot of luxury hotels / Ryokans will be constructed by some different lakes in Hokkaido. Hoshiro Resorts operate some ski resorts in Hokkaido and Tohoku(Tomamu, Nekoma, Alts, etc) and they've been constructing luxury hotels all over Japan in recent years. But they are just "operators", rather than "owners". I mean, for example. Tomamu is "Hoshino Resorts Tomamu" but the actual owner is a Chinese company. Just like that, it is rumored there are Chinese companies behind the hotels that Hoshino Resorts and some other Japanese companies are building by lakes in Hokkaido. One of them will be constructed and open by Lake Shikaribetsu next year. It's located inland Hokkado, where it is supposed to be dry but the lake is a high altitude lake(at 800m asl) and the lake is surrounded by 1000m - 1400m asl mountains, so some people enjoy backcountry skiing there. This was filmed in March.

Lake Shikaribetsu :
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...e558d5!8m2!3d43.2722687!4d143.1181803!5m1!1e4

I've been there only once in summer for trout fishing.

There are already Onsen hotels there now, but the new one opening next year will be the first luxury one targeting tourists from abroad.

#2341 Ramenman, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    telenomore and skifree like this.
  42. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Japanese winter is just nice.:)

43. skivet

skivet Addicted

Dormy Inn Hotel is a short walk from the station(200m) and have a great Onsen on the top floor of their hotel, indoor and outdoor.

Ramenman likes this.
  44. skivet

skivet Addicted

Ramenman likes this.
  45. nanami_JS

nanami_JS Hard Yards

Loved this ryokan! We stayed here for a night after our Aizu ski trip in early Feb. The guest room was spectacular, we had 10-course kaiseki dinner and enjoyed private rooftop onsen in the morning. The ryokan also arranges sightseeing shuttle bus for sake bar hopping. It's great! Highly recommended!

fennekeg and Ramenman like this.
  46. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Am I confused?

Is mountain biking popular there?

I mean, in Australia, everybody and their dog rides bikes offroad. Really nice bikes too with amazing infrastructure. Chairlift riding is the future.

Ramenman likes this.
  47. Ramenman

I don't know if it's popular or not. Japanese ski resorts have been looking for new green season activities to earn enough in green season too and some have MTB courses, but I'd say only 5% (or less) of ski resorts in Japan have MTB courses. As to Fukushima, I think it's only Takatsue ski resort that has MTB courses(It seems it's supported by Bionicon, a German manufacturer)
    [​IMG]

I hope MTB will become more popular in Japan if it can help Japanese ski resorts earn more in green season:)

48. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Lake Shikaribetsu is one of Hokkaido lesser known gems. Our cycle tours go through there summer and autumn. Really beautiful place. Haven't skied there and have observed it can be wind blown but on its day it looks great. As the crow flies its just over the hill (big hill!) from Nukabira ski resort but the road that joins them is not open in winter.

Froff Life, skifree, Hyst and 2 others like this.
  49. Ramenman

I'm happy that you also like the ryokan:).

You mentioned "Private Onsen", so I want to talk about it here. Some onsen ryokans have bed rooms which have a great onsen witn a great view. But those bed rooms are pricey. Even if the onsen ryokans you are staying at have great onsens, if the onsens are public ones, you can't enjoy them together with your partner(unless your relationship is same-sex one). I think romantic onsen time with your partner is very important when travelling with your partner. A lot of onsen ryokans have private onsens but a lot of couples want to enjoy the private onsens between 6:30 pm and 11:30 pm and they tend to be booked out on weekends and holidays. So, you should book beforehand. A problem is, if compared to the original Japanese website, the English website often has only 70% information , and the information about private onsens is often the dropped off 30% information. If private onsens are important for you, you should email them and ask beforehand.
    [​IMG]

fennekeg and LaNeige like this.
  50. Ramenman

Someone should make "mountain accident case" thread:confused:. I mean, reportedly, a backcoutry snowboarder died on Mt.Yotei yesterday and 15 year old boy has been missing at Tenjindaira(he was backcountry skiing alone yesterday).

Paradox likes this.