Hopium

753D843F-F1E2-4C28-8CB9-CD392FE03F8C.jpeg

Reactions: Any and Ramenman

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
personally i prefer my quatas flights to maintain an altitude something a little more than 3 meters above a lake!
Yes a bit more lift would be brill. ;)

Fwiw: I think Qantas are very hopeful over this. The 14-day Quarantine rule is just one of them. But it’s nice to dream and plan (well) ahead!

TeePee

Hard Yards
Feb 15, 2020
Yes a bit more lift would be brill. ;)

Fwiw: I think Qantas are very hopeful over this. The 14-day Quarantine rule is just one of them. But it’s nice to dream and plan (well) ahead!
We’ll see what comes out of the SA trials on home quarantine.. but yep, try as I might I’m still glass half empty re 21-22 season considering atm just going to the next suburb risks a 5k fine in nsw

Reactions: snowgum
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems Mount Racey will open coming season (2021-2022). The company went bankrupt and didn't open last season. The current Hong Kong owner is asking investors in mainland China to increase the capital. Racey have been like a zombie for a decade (or decades). Only growing Asian countries (China + ASEAN) can help them, IMO.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Reportedly, JMA confirmed the first snow of the season on Mt.Fuji and it's 25 days earlier than the average season. I hope it's a good sign (I understand it means almost nothing for the coming season, though).

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
A new hotel (it's 100% new building, not renovation) is opening in Mimami Aizu region. Fukushima Pref is a rural prefecture and southwestern Fukushima is a very rural part of Fukushima prefecture with a very low population density. It has some ski resorts there too. They are confident to attract (mainly) Asian tourists after COVID-19 shock?. They had started coming before COVID-19, though. Anyway, I "basically" love to see new investments in rural ski resort villages which have been suffering for long years.
OGP.jpg

Reactions: fennekeg

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
It seems Mount Racey will open coming season (2021-2022). The company went bankrupt and didn't open last season. The current Hong Kong owner is asking investors in mainland China to increase the capital. Racey have been like a zombie for a decade (or decades). Only growing Asian countries (China + ASEAN) can help them, IMO.
It is a luverly site and ski hill.

Reactions: Ramenman

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
A new store is opening in Zao Onsen next month. It was filmed last month.
d84504-1-c4ed2c9b0b7707528258-2.jpg

It's a partially crowdfunding project. Recently, I hear crowdfunding projects related to ski resorts. One of them is ski-in ski-out craft beer brewery & pub at Tsugaike (Hakuba). It's 0min walk to Tsugaike. I'm not Hakuba local, so I don't know the details, though.
9c-3967-4a78-b6aa-274c8c7480c6.jpg?ixlib=rails-2.1.jpg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems I've been a bit too busy for fishing recently and haven't updated ski related news here :p.

It seems Geto Kogen will expand the treerun zones further in 2022 too, opening a risky terrain with the maximum gradient of 40° and the route length of 750m.
I was looking at geto kogen last night coincidentally. Are these runs on the latest trail maps? How good would this be to visit in early April? What other area can provide good skiing in April? Shiga?
Not yet on the latest trail map. However, I assume it's next to the treeun zone "Extreme" because I heard the name will be "Extreme 2". It's just a provisional name and it might not be Extreme 2 (but it seems insiders are calling it Extreme 2 now).
E4BD-vXAQ249bE28UTBXgw353Jd6fRlSn97OL4Q-s8ZdlH6SZf.jpg

For us, April = BC month. If you are lucky, it snows nicely inside ski resorts in April too, but if you want to make the most of Geto's treerun, it's better to visit between January 15th and Feb 28th. Edit : Geto Kogen is usually open till the first weekend of May (=Golden Week = a national holiday weekend)

This is the new trail map, so the new treerun zone is next to Extreme as I guessed.
course.gif

Reactions: pedub, tot and Hyst

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I remember having a little play in that area. Quite a few gullies that you have to be careful in. A bit dense too with the vegetation. Though, this was after 1m+ overnight dump in the trees LOL

IRT8QLf.jpg

GDO2exP.jpg

QjSj8Ye.jpg
Looks great fun but having tried Hakuba last year and did do a day tour BC with trees, it’s very generous to call that thread, a run? Maybe in more open areas out of the pic.

More a fun zone than a Run?

Have to go one day - looks quite tight for my teles? :whistle:

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Speaking of Geto's risky gullies, they have a map. Orange lines are the risky gullies. This map is an old one(2020 - 21 season's one), when the new treerun zone (Extreme 2) wasn't open, so the map might not show the risky gully around the new treerun zone. So, you need to get a new map. The numbers are for you to tell Geto's rescue team where in the treerun zones you are.
treerun_Number.jpg

• Love

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Speaking of Geto's risky gullies, they have a map. Orange lines are the risky gullies. This map is an old one(2020 - 21 season's one), when the new treerun zone (Extreme 2) wasn't open, so the map might not show the risky gully around the new treerun zone. So, you need to get a new map. The numbers are for you to tell Geto's rescue team where in the treerun zones you are.
treerun_Number.jpg

I’d love that! Anyone Intermed+ would love it! Cheers. :D:thumbs:

Reactions: Ramenman

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Any thoughts anyone on the chances of Japan opening to Aussies and regular (affordable) flights recommencing between Japan and Aussie?

Looking at the Japanese we site, the former looks very unlikely - especially early winter.

The 2021 Planning thread has the info/views/optimism you need ;) . Personally I would think it will be late Q1 or Q2 before Japan opens its borders to tourism.

• Sad
Reactions: Hyst

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The 2021 Planning thread has the info/views/optimism you need ;) . Personally I would think it will be late Q1 or Q2 before Japan opens its borders to tourism.

Yes, I wouldn’t be betting my house (if I had one!) on being able to ski Japan in 21/22. Not a confidence inspiring picture, especially hearing Local Japanese are not happy seeing cars with out-of-prefecture plates?

I’d also like to state as a BTW (secular confessional), that if I did Own a house within 15 km of Melbourne, I would definitely not be contemplating a ski in Japan until I was about 75. And what good what that be to me? ;):p:whistle:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hakuba Hitotoki-No Mori is opening at Iwatake at 1100m asl next month.

d68296-16-671aedec6fee2383ec1e-0.jpg

d68296-16-cd1987a01fbc0af354c1-2.jpg

d68296-16-a26c070d556b6ab39b91-1.jpg

d68296-16-04ed4be07296d715ba5f-8.png

I’m no expert re skiing Japan - Just the one 2-week visit to Hakuba Feb. 20’, but ~1,100m seems a little low for a ski hill to max out - even in Honshu.

Or is that the base?

Perhaps we were a tad unlucky last year but in mid Feb the skiing below about 1000m was pretty ordinary (challenging) most days - getting down all the way to Sakka 3 was challenging by ~ 20/2/20.

Somewhere to go mid season/ post dump?

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
I’m no expert re skiing Japan - Just the one 2-week visit to Hakuba Feb. 20’, but ~1,100m seems a little low for a ski hill to max out - even in Honshu.

Or is that the base?

Perhaps we were a tad unlucky last year but in mid Feb the skiing below about 1000m was pretty ordinary (challenging) most days - getting down all the way to Sakka 3 was challenging by ~ 20/2/20.

You were definitely unlucky to not be skiing on nice snow to the resort base level, especially in February. Snow to sea level is very common Dec-March! Just means another reason to go back to Japan and experience the infamous japow :)

• Love

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Iwatake is making real leaps forward and this new cafe is just another positive. Happy to report I was completly wrong about Mountain Harbour so perhaps this will work well too. On a bigger scale at Iwatake Im hearing conflicting reports on when the demolition of all the current base buildings except the gondy will happen. This year or next but either way the new large hotel going in where those buildings are plus the International School which breaks ground next year nearby all bodes well for it becoming a true 4 season resort.

Reactions: Tanuki and Donza

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Iwatake has done a lot to create an all season mountain resort. The place is packed on the weekends. It has one of the best mountain bike courses in Japan. Plans are to redevelop the whole base area and I would suggest a new gondola will go in to replace the rikkity one there now. The City Bakery up top has become an instagram hot spot in Japan. I'm sure this new place will also. They put in some new snowmaking down towards the base last year too.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
You were definitely unlucky to not be skiing on nice snow to the resort base level, especially in February. Snow to sea level is very common Dec-March! Just means another reason to go back to Japan and experience the infamous japow :)
Its a lottery that most people win but our guidance is mid Jan to mid Feb for the greatest chance of epic conditions here in Hakuba, although obviously LOTS of great riding either side of those dates. Have had fanatsic days in November through to April. For some reason our storm cycles often seem to be weekly.

FWIW I have a sneaking feeling this season is going to start early, go long and will be more snow than 14/15 which was huge, especially late Nov thru to late Feb.

Reactions: Froff Life

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Iwatake is making real leaps forward and this new cafe is just another positive. Happy to report I was completly wrong about Mountain Harbour so perhaps this will work well too. On a bigger scale at Iwatake Im hearing conflicting reports on when the demolition of all the current base buildings except the gondy will happen. This year or next but either way the new large hotel going in where those buildings are plus the International School which breaks ground next year nearby all bodes well for it becoming a true 4 season resort.
Iwatake has done a lot to create an all season mountain resort. The place is packed on the weekends. It has one of the best mountain bike courses in Japan. Plans are to redevelop the whole base area and I would suggest a new gondola will go in to replace the rikkity one there now. The City Bakery up top has become an instagram hot spot in Japan. I'm sure this new place will also. They put in some new snowmaking down towards the base last year too.
I love this video

Reactions: Lucky Pete

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.

Or is that the base?

I've NEVER seen such a high snow line at Hakuba (mid season) like the 2020 season. You weren't just a TAD unlucky, it was insane how bad that was. That's why I spent the rest of the season at Shiga Kogen. (~1500m to 2000m in the main area around Ichinose/Yakebitai)

1100m is at the bottom of the Quad chair near the top at Iwatake.
The top at Iwatake is 1289m and the bottom is 750m. Last season, mid season, it was ok all the way to the bottom, which is normal.

Any thoughts anyone on the chances of Japan opening to Aussies and regular (affordable) flights recommencing between Japan and Aussie?

Looking at the Japanese we site, the former looks very unlikely - especially early winter.

It's September. Things are changing, even in the last few days, so you need read the 2022 thread for up to date info.

Go to this thread:

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/japan-2022-planning.88918/page-13#post-4848891

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I've NEVER seen such a high snow line at Hakuba (mid season) like the 2020 season. You weren't just a TAD unlucky, it was insane how bad that was. That's why I spent the rest of the season at Shiga Kogen. (~1500m to 2000m in the main area around Ichinose/Yakebitai)

1100m is at the bottom of the Quad chair near the top at Iwatake.
The top at Iwatake is 1289m and the bottom is 750m. Last season, mid season, it was ok all the way to the bottom, which is normal.

It's September. Things are changing, even in the last few days, so you need read the 2022 thread for up to date info.

Go to this thread:

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/japan-2022-planning.88918/page-13#post-4848891
Cheers Sandy :thumbs:

Yes agree it’s early - good time to consider options. Especially Shiga. ;)

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Zao Onsen is renewing a lift line now.

It's a not completely new one, though. They are re-assembling parts of unused lifts.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems Tazawako ski resort is opening a bouldering / sport climbing facility by use of the check dam inside the ski resort. Japanese ski resorts have been opening new green season attractions to make themselves all season resorts. Tawazawa ski resort newly made e-MTB courses last season, and I like them. e-MTB helps us climb the ski resort mountains easily and it's fun. This is the video of the check dam of Tazawako ski resort.

Bouldering / sport climbing is popular here and Japan won two medals at Tokyo Olympics.

Tazawako related videos.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Last year, Inawashiro ski resort made Inawashiro Ski Fanclub and made weekday lift tickets for free and weekend & holiday lift tickets = half price if you became a member of Inawashiro Ski Fanclub.

It seems they will do the same thing this coming season as well (2021 - 2022). You need to register via your smartphone, so you might need Japanese speaking person's support to register (unless you can read Japanese).
1632416438954.jpeg

Reactions: pedub

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
About 10 days ago, Fumio Kishida became Japan's new prime minister and it is reported that the new regime is thinking about "Go to campaign 2.0" (Last year, Japan had "Go to Travel", "Go to Eat", etc to help the businesses badly damaged by Covid-19). The image below is a local tv show reporting about Go to campaign 2.0. The tv show was saying something like this "When 80% people in Japan over 12 years old get vaccinated, Go to Travel & Go to Eat 2.0 might start". More than 60% of people living in Japan got vaccinated already last month, and 80% people over 12 years old will come soon. Anyway, the new regime will "100%" help travel and restaurant industries in the near future.
FBDiJ2eVQAAet_S.jpg

Tokyo sees 82 COVID-19 cases, lowest daily figure this year​

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
About 10 days ago, Fumio Kishida became Japan's new prime minister and it is reported that the new regime is thinking about "Go to campaign 2.0" (Last year, Japan had "Go to Travel", "Go to Eat", etc to help the businesses badly damaged by Covid-19. The image below is a local tv show reporting about Go to campaign 2.0. The tv show was saying something like this "When 80% people in Japan over 12 years old get vaccinated, Go to Travel & Go to Eat 2.0 might start". More than 60% of people living in Japan got vaccinated already last month, and 80% people over 12 years old will come soon. Anyway, the new regime will "100%" help travel and restaurant industries in the near future.
FBDiJ2eVQAAet_S.jpg

Tokyo sees 82 COVID-19 cases, lowest daily figure this year​

Wow that frop in numbers is great. Now we just need them to open the borders to us. Oh and our gov to let us out!

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Go To would be awesome for us and many others but I stand by my earlier posts in that I dont see Japan getting to 80% without a locally made vaccine which is due next spring. As always happy to be wrong but there is a lot of vaccine hesitancy where we are, which most likely is the case elsewhere.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Go To would be awesome for us and many others but I stand by my earlier posts in that I dont see Japan getting to 80% without a locally made vaccine which is due next spring. As always happy to be wrong but there is a lot of vaccine hesitancy where we are, which most likely is the case elsewhere.
If Japan keeps on like now 80% should be reached by middle of December or before?

(has been quite linear since middle of June)

However the last bit can change for the linear development.

Japan vaccination rate.png

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
NW Gunma, Japan 1100m asl
I see a lot of hesitancy too, but in many cases pragmatism has won out when push comes to shove...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass