Latest Japan ski & tourism news

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
A little bit more about Tenkara and Japanese rivers,

Left rivers = steep (the length is short but the altitudes of the sources of rivers are high). All Joganji River, Fuji River, Kiso River, Yoshino River, Shinano River, Mogami River, and Tone River are Japanese rivers. So, Japanese rivers are basically very steep. It's because Japanese mountains are very close to the sea. Most Japanese cities are sandwiched by mountains and the sea, which means, the source of rivers are close to cities (the big population areas).

modified_river_gradient_ed_final.jpg

In Japanese, 上流 / Joryu = Upstream (上 = up, 流 = stream) and 下流 / Karyu = Downstream (下 = down). I love upstream fishing, especially 源流 / Genryu fishing. 源 / Gen = source, so Genryu is river source / headwater. Japanese populated cities are close to river sources / headwaters and Tenkara Fishing is ideal for fishing around river sources.

源流 (river source) areas are shallow, thin and narrow like the image below, so you don't need a big casting distance at all. So, you don't need a fishing reel. If I simplify it as much as possible, Tenkara fishing is a fly fishing without a reel (actually, it's not that simple, though).
AdobeStock_93315222_-1.jpg

They are Tenkara fishing girls. As you can see, no reels on their fishing rods. The water is shallow, so you can wade across 源流 (river source area) easily and you don't need a big casting distance at all. My longest Tenkara rod is about 4m and the fishing line is about 5m. So it's like catching trouts (such as Yamame, Iwana and Amago) which are within 10m from me (4m of the rod + 5m of the line + my arm). The trouts (salmons) are hiding under rocks, so we cast toward rocks where we think fishes are hiding.
link_tmb_01.jpg

Why Tenkara? Learn why people have been talking about this simple Japanese method of fly-fishing

How to Cast with Tenkara - learning tenkara casting

The pics below are Nakatsugawa Valley, one of my Tenkara fishing sites very near Gran Deco ski resort in Aizu region.

I like this woman's Youtube channel. She often uploads her Tenkara fishing video. In the videos, she cooks the fish she catches next to the river, and drink!. It's kind of my ideal mountain life. Plus, I feel the sceneries of the sites which are ideal for Tenkara fishing are very beautiful and relaxing.

Because of this thread, I came to notice a lot of Tenkara videos are uploaded by American people not by Australian. So, you might be able to become the founder / an influential person of Tenkara fishing culture / community in Australia if you start Tenkara fishing there in Australia;)

Daiwa's Tenkara rod 燕翔. 燕 = swallow. 翔 = fly, so Flying Swallow, sounds cool:cool:
Daiwa-Enshou-LL36S-F_L.jpg

I was not sure if I should post this in this thread or "Fishing in Japan" thread. It's a bit ski resort related news, so I'll write it here. Ski resort villages have been offering a lot different activities in green season in recent years. There is Ontake ski resort in Nagano Pref and it's famous for its high altitude (the base area is 1680m and top lift station is 2240m). The ski resort have newly started offering Genryu Fishing tour around the ski resort. As I wrote in Fishing in Japan thread, 源流 = Genryu, 源 = Gen = source. 流 = Ryu = stream. So, Genryu is river source / headwater. As I mentioned in the Fishing thread many times, I love beach / surf fishing and Genryu fishing (=upper mountain stream fishing) veeeeeeeeery much. I hope anglers will help Japanese ski resort regions!. The images below are from the website of the fishing tour.
48878-6-3eec60b58e2ab9092f878e1bb9abbd17-2048x1536-20220603152941-640x480.webp

GENRYU-20220603153058-640x427.webp

tsuri_470_1-20220603153025.jpg

Left rivers = steep (the length is short but the altitudes of the sources of rivers are high). All Joganji River, Fuji River, Kiso River, Yoshino River, Shinano River, Mogami River, and Tone River are Japanese rivers. So, Japanese rivers are basically very steep. It's because Japanese mountains are very close to the sea. Most Japanese cities are sandwiched by mountains and the sea, which means, the source of rivers are close to cities (the big population areas).

modified_river_gradient_ed_final-jpg.296601

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems Komatsu Airport is planning to expand the terminal building and newly make one runway. It's a small local airport near Kanazawa (30+ min highway drive) and there were international flights from / to Shanghai, Taiwan(Taipei), Hong Kong and South Korea (Seoul) till COVID-19 hit.

I've been hearing similar news lately. People are looking at post-COVID era!

access_map_2018.jpg

Reactions: skifree

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
A Hokkaido's local tv news is reporting this week that almost all rooms of some amount of hotels in Niseko for 2022's Christmas - 2023's New Year vacation period are already booked out (Edit: the 0 in the computer display means 0 room left = all rooms have been booked out). So, a lot of tourists from abroad have already started booking hotels for skiing in Japan in 2022-23 season.

Some Niseko videos filmed and uploaded recently

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
It seems Komatsu Airport is planning to expand the terminal building and newly make one runway. It's a small local airport near Kanazawa (30+ min highway drive) and there were international flights from / to Shanghai, Taiwan(Taipei), Hong Kong and South Korea (Seoul) till COVID-19 hit.

I've been hearing similar news lately. People are looking at post-COVID era!

access_map_2018.jpg
Easy enough car access from Komatsu to Hakuba. I’ve flown in/out of here and it was really convenient.

Reactions: Donza and Ramenman

ratherb@thesnow

One of Us
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
I was communicating with a Snow Tour Operator in the myoko area yesterday, (as a back up if the restrictions don't change) he advised that bookings for the tours in Jan 23 are already 65% booked, thats three 10 day tours by 15 -20 people.

Reactions: Ramenman
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
A Hokkaido's local tv news is reporting this week that almost all rooms of some amount of hotels in Niseko for 2022's Christmas - 2023's New Year vacation period are already booked out (Edit: the 0 in the computer display means 0 room left = all rooms have been booked out). So, a lot of tourists from abroad have already started booking hotels for skiing in Japan in 2022-23 season.

I presume all those foreign guests will be compliant with all the guidelines.

Will there be enough qualified guides for all these guests?

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.

Or else, like ususal, most hotels are not opening their bookings until 3 months before.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Hahaha.

People booking. Thinking she'll be right.

The cost of fully chaperoned tours will be incredibly high.

I saw one advertised for $9999.00. For two weeks.

• Haha

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014

I assume they are just booking the hotels, believing that they can travel Japan freely by the end of this year like they used to. Hotels understand the current situations and the guests can cancel easily now.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010

I'm assuming it's mostly the local market that is filling the spots e.g. what happened in AUS when we couldn't go OS.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Or else, like ususal, most hotels are not opening their bookings until 3 months before.

Yeah, good location hotels in Niseko are targeting at international tourists and average Japanese hotels are not opening their bookings until 3 months before as you wrote. The media are saying Chinese and Australian are booking those hotels in Niseko(Chinese can really travel the coming winter?, I doubt a bit, though)

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Chinese. Interesting.

Yeah, I found it interesting too.

I'd say that even Chinese Communist Party can't keep taking very unpopular policy for too long. Hence, in the end, Chinese people will start travelling in the "near" future, but the coming winter (2022-23)?, I doubt "a bit" that it will happen.

Reactions: Donza

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
I heard a very good news for Zao Onsen this week.

Japan Tourism Agency have announced some subsidies for tourism related business owners. One of the subsidies is likely to help Zao Onsen a lot. Japan Tourism Agency have chosen 8 Onsen villages and help them demolish unused buildings and help Onsen Ryokan / hotel, restaurant, etc owners to renovate their buildings.

What makes the subsidy great is, the budget is 100 billion Yen. 100 billion Yen for 8 Onsen villages, so about 13 billion Yen for one village and it's a big money for one small village. The maximum amount of money that each owner can receive is 0.1 billion Yen (100 million Yen) or 50% of the total cost. One village can receive 13 billion Yen and 0.1 billion Yen for each building, then, more than 130 buildings?. Really?. Too good to be true, I need to read the papers seriously now!.

What are the other villages? Do you have a link?

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I heard a very good news for Zao Onsen this week.

Japan Tourism Agency have announced some subsidies for tourism related business owners. One of the subsidies is likely to help Zao Onsen a lot. Japan Tourism Agency have chosen 8 Onsen villages and help them demolish unused buildings and help Onsen Ryokan / hotel, restaurant, etc owners to renovate their buildings.

What makes the subsidy great is, the budget is 100 billion Yen. 100 billion Yen for 8 Onsen villages, so about 13 billion Yen for one village and it's a big money for one small village. The maximum amount of money that each owner can receive is 0.1 billion Yen (100 million Yen) or 50% of the total cost. One village can receive 13 billion Yen and 0.1 billion Yen for each building, then, more than 130 buildings?. Really?. Too good to be true, I need to read the papers seriously now!.
Kind of pointless if they won't let foreign tourists in.

Good luck finding builders. They are all flat out. One told me he had a 4 year waiting list.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I was communicating with a Snow Tour Operator in the myoko area yesterday, (as a back up if the restrictions don't change) he advised that bookings for the tours in Jan 23 are already 65% booked, thats three 10 day tours by 15 -20 people.
Do the have a Japanese travel agent license? Without it they cannot operte group tours of the kind currently allowed in Japan.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
What are the other villages? Do you have a link?

I didn't understand the subsidy fully yet when posting, and what I wrote was not completely correct but roughly or almost correct. Now I understand the subsidy more, so I will write about the subsidy here again.

Total budget of the subsidy is 100 billion Yen. The maximum amount of money each Ryoakn / hotel owner can receive for renovation is 50% of the total cost up to 100 million Yen. Many regions / groups applied for the subsidy in this March and 8 regions / groups were chosen this month (June) including Zao Onsen.

It seems Japan Tourism Agency have re-started accepting the applicants this month (June). Zao Onsen applied for it in March and got chosen in June, so it took about 3 months. The deadline of the subsidy project is the end of next February (2023). So, in the end, about 30 regions / groups (or more) might be chosen?(I don't know). You can't apply for the subsidy alone. First, your region needs to be chosen (because the subsidy is designed to make specific tourism oriented regions more competitive).

Anyway, I'd say the subsidy = 50% of the renovation cost up to 100 million Yen for each owner is very big support for small business owners. Edit : I haven't understood the subsidy completely yet, though.

Here is the link of the subsidy : https://kankosaisei.net/assets/file/gaiyo_0314.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: M_G and skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
A local tv channel was broadcasting a tv show named "Yuzawa Re-Start". People are buying Yuzawa's bubble economy apartments, which have been unused for long years.

• Love
Reactions: UnoPedro

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
They even have a flag!
ds-a-tourist-group-visiting-tofuku-ji-kyoto-D1GJFT.jpg

The flag is a typical one for bus tours targeting at kids and the elderly people. For example, bus tours from Tokyo to Zao Onsen. For the elderly people living in Tokyo, Zao Onsen is new and they don't / can't use internet to correct information and they don't like driving where they don't know much. Plus, those bus tours are very cheap. Hence, such bus tours with flags are popular with the elderly people. Elementary schools also hire those bus tours. Average adult people don't hire such bus tours at all.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
The flag is a typical one for bus tours targeting at kids and elderly people. For example, bus tours from Tokyo, etc to Zao Onsen. For elderly people living in Tokyo, Zao Onsen is new and they don't use internet to correct information and they don't like driving where they don't know much. Plus, those travels are very cheap. So, those bus tours with flags are popular with the elderly people. Elementary schools also hire those bus tours. Average adult people don't hire such bus tours at all.
This is a example of the first tour group allowed from Australia to Japan.

Yes it is $9640.00 PP. For 8 days landside in Japan.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
This is a example of the first tour group allowed from Australia to Japan.

Yes it is $9640.00 PP. For 8 days landside in Japan.

Yeah, I know, so applying the typical bus tour style for the elderly people and young kids to tourists from abroad and I find it very silly.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yeah, I know, so applying the typical bus tour style for the elderly people and young kids to tourists from abroad and I find it very silly.
Plus the costs involved.
Can you imagine the wages of all the people that will need to be employed, resturants selected, accomodation picked, alternative accomodation booked if someone gets covid and their partner has to spend time in a japanese medical facility.
Its bonkers.
It reminds me of the Tokyo games/ and China Winter games and the lengths that the reporters were subjected to during every day life.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Normal. I see this in my local area as well.
(Around the Yokohama Yamate "Bluff" area and Motomachi).

I'm sure the Japanese Govt doesn't realise that this sort of touring isn't normal nor desirable for most non Japanese people.
Hence my sarcastic comment.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Normal. I see this in my local area as well.
(Around the Yokohama Yamate "Bluff" area and Motomachi).

I'm sure the Japanese Govt doesn't realise that this sort of touring isn't normal nor desirable for most non Japanese people.
Hence my sarcastic comment.

It seems you don't know Asian tourists love those bus tours and 83% of tourists from abroad to Japan are from Asia (70% are from East Asia and 13% are the rest of Asia). You will be surprised if you see a lot of buses with full of Asian tourists coming to Zao Onsen. I assume they are not used to travelling abroad yet, so they choose such organized bus tours (people visiting Japan repeatedly don't hire such tours much)

Anyway, I dislike such tours and the silly rules applied to tourists from abroad!

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I assume they are just booking the hotels, believing that they can travel Japan freely by the end of this year like they used to. Hotels understand the current situations and the guests can cancel easily now.

Taking bookings and then cancellations is hardly a good way to run a business. In fact is a waste of time.

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
Plus the costs involved.
Can you imagine the wages of all the people that will need to be employed, resturants selected, accomodation picked, alternative accomodation booked if someone gets covid and their partner has to spend time in a japanese medical facility.
Its bonkers.
It reminds me of the Tokyo games/ and China Winter games and the lengths that the reporters were subjected to during every day life.
My son was at China games ,he said it was FARKED !!!!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I love ski resort Mascots.
Who said Magic Mushrooms were rare in Hakuba?

Victoire Cheval Blanc Murao III is a mascot character of Hakuba Village in JAPAN. That name means white horse of victory. His feather is handmade, so can't fly.

20190731202350.jpg

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
I love ski resort Mascots.
Who said Magic Mushrooms were rare in Hakuba?

Victoire Cheval Blanc Murao III is a mascot character of Hakuba Village in JAPAN. That name means white horse of victory. His feather is handmade, so can't fly.

20190731202350.jpg
I have him on a t-shirt
I like this representation better - where is it?

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Yes, of course they have;). No mascot = No Japan:p. "Hato Bus" is by far the most well known organized bus tour company. Hato of Hato Bus is a pigeon (a bird) and their mascot is a pigeon.
1655337557288.jpeg

1535.png

Bus tour guides and the mascot
9656.jpg

About Hato Bus

Gregah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2016
This is one of our prized catches from a claw machine in Japan:
PXL_20220616_003011742.MP.jpg

Edit: my Lil daughter is always trying to claim it as one of her 'cuddlys' but no, it's Mum and Dad's stupid, prized souvenir - those claw machines are rigged, so when you finally get one you keep it.
You caught a prize with one of those claws?! What were you, sober or something? That never happens!

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
You caught a prize with one of those claws?! What were you, sober or something? That never happens!
:cheers: Oh we'd definitely been on the vending machine Asahi's and were wondering the streets of Sapporo, or maybe Tokyo. Wife and I were claw machine fanatics when we were young.

• Haha
Reactions: skifree and Gregah

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
No one beats Melon Bear from Hokkaido.
8.jpg

Speaking of bear mascots, the Melon Bear is one of the second most popular bear mascots (it's Yubari city's mascot because Yubari is famous for their pricy Yubari melon). By far the most popular bear mascot is Kumamon (Kuma = bear in Japanese) and it's the mascot of Kumamoto Prefecture. I'll show some bear mascots (there are numerous)

Kumamon = the mascot in the center. A Melon Bear couple are attacking Kumamon. For Melon Bears, Kumamon is the obstacle to become the most popular bear mascot in Japan, so they tend to attack & bully Kumamon.
A76Q9fmCAAAgp3c.jpg

Kumamon’s theme song

Melon Bear is good at skiing (Yubari city has a ski resort Mount Racey).

Arukuma = the mascot of Nagano Pref. Aruku = Walk, so Arukuma = Walking bear. He or she is often wearing an apple helmet because Nagano Pref is famous for apples too. He or she is wearing a lot of different helmets to promote Nagano Prefecture.
1655361009941.jpeg

Top left = Japanese alps. Purple one ブドウ = grapes because Nagano is famous for grapes too. Top right one is Nozawana = the leaf vegetable native to Nozawa Onsen and the leaf vegetable is well known nationwide.
3be48d43e5fb2d9b8a30fe17c380-thumb-1000xauto-13139.jpg

Pos Kuma = the mascot of Japan Post
%E3%81%BD%E3%81%99%E3%81%8F%E3%81%BE01.jpg

There are many others;)

Last edited:

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I was reading a mountain incident report. Last year, about 3,000 people here in Japan were rescued in mountains and more than 300 people died (actual cases must be bigger, it's just numbers of reported cases). It's a big increase compared to the previous year, and it's sad but it is a result of a lot of people restarted enjoying mountain activities, which is great. Most death cases happened because they got lost in mountains.

In some cases, they got missing in winter and their bodies were found in April to June after the snow melt. Some of their bodies were found in very unexpected sites and it's very likely they didn't know where they were. Now we have useful smartphone apps, GPS tools, etc and we can easily identify our current location. In most cases, they didn't make adequate preparations, and it resulted in their deaths unfortunately.

• Wow

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
I was reading a mountain incident report. Last year, about 3,000 people here in Japan were rescued in mountains and more than 300 people died (actual cases must be bigger, it's just numbers of reported cases). It's a big increase compared to the previous year, and it's sad but it is a result of a lot of people restarted enjoying mountain activities, which is great. Most death cases happened because they got lost in mountains.

In some cases, they got missing in winter and their bodies were found in April to June after the snow melt. Some of their bodies were found in very unexpected sites and it's very likely they didn't know where they were. Now we have useful smartphone apps, GPS tools, etc and we can easily identify our current location. In most cases, they didn't make adequate preparations, and it resulted in their deaths unfortunately.

Always carry map and compass - electronic devices can fail!

Japanese mountains are nice - but steep - dense vegetation - and can be very remote. (I don't go in winter).

For planning

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Always carry map and compass - electronic devices can fail!

Japanese mountains are nice - but steep - dense vegetation - and can be very remote. (I don't go in winter).

Yep, map and compass are must.

Actually, we have helped people who got lost in mountains many times. Getting lost happens mostly when they are descending. Average Japanese mountains consists of many steep & small valleys with mountain streams. Red = mountains streams. Blue = mountain ridges. A lot of people take a wrong turn, resulting in reaching a mountain stream. Once they notice they took a wrong turn, they should climb up to the ridge (Blue) where they were, but many keep descending along the mountain streams and make their situations worse. I mean, those mountain streams consist of many falls and they can't keep descending due to those falls. We often enjoy fishing under such falls and we have found people who needed to be rescued.
BD%A2%E3%81%AF%E5%B0%BE%E6%A0%B9%E3%81%A8%E8%B0%B7.jpg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems Sky Bus Niseko will start running this summer. It will stop at multiple tourist destinations in Niseko region. It might be good for the people who don't want to drive abroad. I assume the new bus is for green season, though.
s-1238x1000_v-fms_webp_109a2165-fc6d-4ae5-9856-b4eff28fb96a_small.webp

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass