1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Latest NSW backcountry info

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by legend, Aug 18, 2005.

1. legend

legend One of Us

From a mate:
    The last snowfall prolonged the season but it's melting back fast. There's virtually no base at lower altitudes. Skied up from Munyang on Tuesday but wasn't game to ski back down the road there were rocks sticking through the uncompacted base. Mind you on a base (the aqueduct behind Horse Camp) the skiing was great with my skis gliding under the snow, I couldn't see the tips for a few strides at a time. The creeks are not bridging over though and even higher ones like Betts Creek are dead dodgy. I managed to get across the Snowy below Charlottes where there are plenty of new snowbridges, but they won't stand much of a meltback. Yesterday (Wednesday) the snow on the Main Range was breakable crusty, soft and boiler plate whereas today coming back from Blue Lake it was consistently good - The difference that 24 hours can make! there's been a lot of wind and the snow has been sastrugled (Is there a verb for the making of sastrugi - or have I coined a new one - I don't even know whether the Innuit have verbs).
    Anyway the verdict is good up high, good at Schlinks today also (I heard) and lacking a bit lower down.

2. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Seems to fit with what we saw on the weekend. Left guthega on top of a solid white cover. Came back 2 days later over many small shrubs. No real snow bridges below about 1700m.

Plenty up high though. Seems to fit with all the warm systems we've had this year. Theres been plenty of times when its been snowing above 1900m but raining below.

3. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

yep, just got back from 3 days out there - Tuesday to Thursday. Plenty of snow higher up, all the traditional lines are completely skiable, but not sure how much longer the snow down low will hold up. Easily got back from Illawong OK, but getting thin around the stupid flying fox.

4. opa

opa First Runs

comming in to jagungal from the east cesjacks ridge.

5. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Ta.

Heading up via illawong on Sunday, hopefully we get some snowfalls during the week.

6. C_Bowl

C_Bowl First Runs

Not sounding good for anyone planning to get out there after the October long weekend.